labor rate

pinesman

What would be a fair rate/hour for a TD-9 with a 9'blade for grading work? Also a Drott 40 excavator? I have been doing some work for my brother filling in an old manure pit. I don't want to gouge him but he wants to pay something. Thanks.

kb

Start by figuring how much fuel you're using and your time involved. Decide what you're worth an hour, then double that to cover wear and tear on your machine. Atleast that'll give you a starting point, and since it's for your brother, you can cut him a better deal if you choose.

Rates seem to vary by area, up here an old Case 450 is $90/hr.

I'd say a full tank of fuel after it's all done would be good for a family job.

For my brother I will do work for free, he would cover the fuel. He does the same for me, but if it was a worthless brother-in-law the rate would be $50 an hour, and only because I will not have him around when a job needs doing, as I said, he is not worth much.

Thanks for all of the replies. For future reference, what if it was somebody other than my brother? I'm also more interested in a price for the drott. Most of the hours was with it and I just used the TD-9 to level it off. I am just looking for what a fair price is and then will discount on top of that. I don't think my brother will be happy with me just doing it for fuel.

For your relatives charge $500.00 per hour it will either keep them from asking or they wont pay you anyway.My favorite expression is -If you want to work for free work for your family.

Seriously no matter what you charge someone will tell you that its too much. When you go out of business those same people will tell you they wish that you were still operating. MAYBE YOU SHOULD HAVE CHARGED MORE. :D:D:D

I have a TD9-91 that I'm in the process of rebuilding and have had several people ask if I will do some work for them. The jobs range from knocking some trees down along a fence line to cleaning corrals. I have told them the rate will vary depending on what the job is to some extent but for the most part it will be $80.00/hr. So far I have about a months work lined up when I get the machine running.

I've been asked to do some custom work as well, and what I've told people is that it's $60.00 an hour. People I know, I won't charge to move on, but people I don't know I have told them that there is the same rate to move on. Usually the people I know generally throw in a few beverages, so that outweighs the freight charge. :P:D

By the way pinesman, this is for a T6.

I thought I would be high as I'm not looking for work, but up here people will pay almost anything, as it is hard to get equipment guys.

Hope this helps,

John

It really depends on where you're at. The construction companies and excavation outfits will charge a minimum hourly cost no matter how long or short the job goes as well as transportation and fuel. That's a nice IH set up you've got there (were the Drott excavators made by IH too?) love to see some pictures especially of the excavator.

It really depends on where you're at. The construction companies and excavation outfits will charge a minimum hourly cost no matter how long or short the job goes as well as transportation and fuel. That's a nice IH set up you've got there (were the Drott excavators made by IH too?) love to see some pictures especially of the excavator.

go to my profile, click on my website and then the "gitten er done" link

kb

I just hired an excavator to do a little cleanup on my property recently. He was doing it on the side and charged me cut rate prices. They had a new deere 450 there that I think he charged me $70-80/hr and a Komatsu track hoe (PC120 or 140?) about the size of your Drott 40 (about 28k lbs) that was $100 or $120/hr. So I'd guess the possible productivity of an old TD9 would be about 3/4th of that of a modern Deere 450 with 6 way. And the Drott hoe likewise is about 3/4 of the productivity of the comparably sized Komatsu hoe. But you have to factor in operator experience, the rate I was paying was for very experienced operators, these guys knew how to get stuff done. So here's a formula I would estimate what the hourly rate should be:

Drott hoe = 0.75 x $120 = $90/hr which would be the labor rate for a skilled operator. If you are only 3/4th as skilled as a good operator then multiply $90 by 0.75 again (=$67.50/hr) etc.

TD9 = 0.75 x $80 = $60/hr which would be the labor rate with a skilled operator. If you are only 2/3rd as skilled as a good operator then multiply $60 by 0.667 (=$40/hr) etc.

Then factor in any "brotherly discounts" you might want into that. But I think the rates above are pretty brotherly all by themselves (especially if your brother has more dough than you do :) ).

Archived