Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ihfarmall4ever

Road trip this weekend.

We're finally going to make the 1000 mile round trip to Iowa from MI to get my "new to me" 200 4x4 (the one in my avatar). We'll be driving the 1210 Travelette pulling the car trailer with some farm equipment that I'm selling.

The 200 is a good road worthy truck with a few small rust holes in it that I'm going to turn into my daily driver. I've got a 97 F**d, but I want to drive IH every day. My Travelall isn't running quite right, and the Scout doesn't ever see winter salt. Now I can pull the motor out of the T'all for a rebuild and do the body work. When that is done, I can start on the 200 (with a paint job for the 560 in between). Looks like I've got a couple years worth of projects in line. :wub:

Sounds good! Take lots of pics. ;) Anxious to hear how your trip goes.

I had a '74 200 4X4--SV392, 4-bbl, TF727, 4.10 gears. It was one of the best trucks I have ever owned.

Even pulling the boat behind with the 11' camper on board it always got 8.5 MPG. When we went snow skiing we got 8 MPG up and 9 MPG down (with two tanks it was easy to figure out to and from mileage).

One time just after GM came out with the 6.2L engine for their light duty trucks I remember passing two new pick-ups towing trailers up the Vantage grade on I-90 in central WA state. One was a GM with a 6.2 and the other one was a F*** with a 6.9/7.3L. You couldn't see the GM from the rear due to the cloud of black smoke pouring out of the exhausts and the F*** was puffing pretty black as well. I passed them with barely more than 1/2 throttle.

When the engine started to have some major ($$$) issues (lack of adequate oil pressure, cracked exhaust manifold, carb problems, leaking radiator, several oil leaks including both the front and rear seals, etc.) I parked it and finally scrapped it.

The hood hinges no longer had anything to attach to because the inner fenders were almost totally gone. The only thing holding the rear fenders on was the camper on top of the bed. The roof was just about totally seperated above the windshield. The only reason the cab didn't leak was because it was under the camper. The driver door hinges, window lift mechanism, and door lock mechanism were all toast. The door sills and rockers had rust. The front suspension was all worn out causing bad tire wear and poor roadability. And it needed new rotors in front as well. Those are the things I can remember that needed work just to start. About the only things I knew that didn't need work were the transfer case and the transmission (I had to have the transmission rebuilt about 30K before I parked it).

In other words, if the body hadn't been basically totally gone I would have spent the $$$ to fix the engine. With so many other problems I decided it just wasn't worth the effort to try and save it.

Good luck with your new to you truck. I hope you have as much fun with it as I had with mine.

Mark O.

Castle Rock, WA

what time are you going to be in town??? i may go to a plow day a few miles west of me in the morning but should be home after 1 or so. the little grocery store in town makes sum purdy darn good deli sandwiches in the back. its on main street next door to the Casey's gas station :D

Hello, we'll be in Maxwell about noon local time on Friday the 26th. Sounds like the deli will be a good lunch stop. What day is the plow day?

MarkO, can't wait to get the 200, will begin driving it ASAP. I need to drive IH at least every 5 days or I get nerved up. It will probably be the winter of 08-09 when the 200 gets a makeover. Going to do the Travelall first. Have begun to collect 3/4 to 1 ton 4wd IH's from the 70's as that is my decade. Really like the looks of the "Square" body style.

O-f20, we'll be driving the 73 Travelette with a trailer behind. Shouldn't be too hard to spot.

post-1715-1193791886_thumb.jpgHere's some more pics. Great trip, weather so so, but I just love the Iowa corn fields. Man, they just go on and on for miles.

The 200 is pretty good, has some holes, but the underneath is very solid. Good running motor and drive train, needs an exhaust manifold and some trim pieces. Could use a seat if I could find one. I'll start collecting parts now, then paint it up in a year or so, but for now I'm just gonna drive it.

post-1715-1193793215_thumb.jpgpost-1715-1193793215_thumb.jpgAnd another one.

post-1715-1193794194_thumb.jpg

I really like the tow vehicle.

Was it a factory/upfitter original dually?

Mark O.

Castle Rock, WA

I really like the tow vehicle.

Was it a factory/upfitter original dually?

Mark O.

Castle Rock, WA

Good question. That may be the first Travelette I've seen with DRW. It's sharp!

Thanks! The story has it that this truck was modified at the dealership. Apparently the original owner raced sprint cars and that was his hauler. It looks like it used to have one of those snorkel sleepers hooked up to the rear window since it has a slider. If you look close, those are GM rear fender extensions (they have square wheel openings). Unfortuneately, they didn't finish off the original box sides after they tomahawked the openings out. The interior is quite nice and the 1200 mile trip with 3 of us in the cab was quite comfortable. She got 14mpg empty and about 10mpg loaded. Acceptable, but only one of the fuel tanks is currently working so we had to stop about every 125 miles.

Good question. That may be the first Travelette I've seen with DRW. It's sharp!

Hey Glenn, You know Mary Kindberg, the gal that does the cookout at Nationals? Well, her & Her husband Carl have a drw travelette like that. And it's got GM fenders as well.

Nice trucks man! What year are they? I'm thinking the 1210 might be a 72??

Hey Glenn, You know Mary Kindberg, the gal that does the cookout at Nationals? Well, her & Her husband Carl have a drw travelette like that. And it's got GM fenders as well.

Mark, true, I had forgotten about that. :wacko: CRS is setting in ... thanks for reminding me!

That was Carl and Mary's truck. Me and a couple of buddies bought it off of them last December. It's a really nice truck. It has a couple issues but we like it cause we can all pile in with our stuff and go, plus pull a trailer.

Oh yeah, the truck is a '73 1210.

The original plan is to put a 4wd running gear under it from our 1200D donor truck. But the truck runs and drives good so we've just been having fun with it the way it is. I've bought this 200 that needs some attention. So, as usual, the projects go undone and I just play with the stuff I have. My main problem is lack of time and money. I know if I had the time, I sure wouldn't have the money. Maybe I'll figure that out how to change that some day.

I see..... Looks like you've repainted it. As I recall, it was green & white, and I don't remember it being quite so nice looking. Also, didn't it have running boards? Carl & Mary are super nice people, aren't they?

Carl and Mary are super people. They're a big asset to the IH truck community with all the time, effort and money they put into it! The first time I saw the truck was at NATS in '03, but I don't remember if it had running boards or not. Carl had it posted for sale on the board at NATS in '06, which is when we decided to buy it.

We didn't repaint the truck, we just wheeled it out and cleaned up the outside a little, changed the oil and gave it new plugs and wires. It has been repainted somewhere along the way, but I don't think Carl did it. One of the co-owners is a body and paint guy, and he was impressed by the good paint they used on it. The dark green is full of metal flake and shined up real nice. It is huge on the inside and actually rides really well. It got 14mpg loaded and about 10 with a load.

We didn't repaint the truck, we just wheeled it out and cleaned up the outside a little, changed the oil and gave it new plugs and wires.

Ok, I was thinking it was a much lighter green, about like that 200 you hauled home. It's been a couple years since I've seen it at Nats. What does that have for power? Smallblock Chevy???

I remember that Carl found a set of diamond plate running boards one year. He was going to put them on that truck, but I don't know if he ever did or not. They didn't bring that truck the last couple years.

Speaking of Nats, do you go to the big cookout every year at the Hampton Inn? If so, there's a very good chance we've met. I go every year, as does Glenn-VW.

Shhh! Yeah, it has the ch**y motor and trans. When I was referring to the donor truck, our plan is to use the 345 and trans from that to put back in the Travelette. That hasn't happened yet, and the motor does run good, so we're using it.

The aluminum running boards came with it, but we haven't installed them yet.

I've been to NATS 3 times, '02,'03, and '06 always staying at the Hampton and going to the cookout. In '02 I drove a '54 R132 flatbed with a Farmall on the back. In '03 I brought my 800A and a buddy drove my '52 L185 fire truck. In '06 we drove a '73 1310 pulling the Scout on a trailer and another buddy came down in an orange and rust Scout II.

I've only seen one other D series IH pickup with dual rear wheels and that one is John Donnelly's project Atlas over on the Binder bulletin. I wish they had done more of them, I think they look great!

post-2315-1196302243_thumb.jpg

I've only seen one other D series IH pickup with dual rear wheels and that one is John Donnelly's project Atlas over on the Binder bulletin. I wish they had done more of them, I think they look great!

I think John Comer has a dually D series that he's had at Nationals once, but i might be wrong.

I've been to NATS 3 times, '02,'03, and '06 always staying at the Hampton and going to the cookout. In '02 I drove a '54 R132 flatbed with a Farmall on the back. In '03 I brought my 800A and a buddy drove my '52 L185 fire truck. In '06 we drove a '73 1310 pulling the Scout on a trailer and another buddy came down in an orange and rust Scout II.

I've met you then! I remember when you had the firetruck at Nats in 03. Seems to me the guy driving your fire truck was named Marvin???? The same year there was a white KB series firetruck a guy from CO hauled out on a flatbed behind his cab over. Remember the fun we had leaving the fairgrounds that year on sunday when his trailer came loose making the turn to leave the fairgrounds? If I remember right, it was you & your buddy & my dad & I that helped him get the mess straightened out.

Sure, I remember. That was exciting there at the end of the day. Glad that loader was there. That was Ray that lost the flatbed w/KB firetruck (white).

Marv drove and entered my firetruck in the show as he didn't have anything to drive. I trailered my Scout 800A. I don't own the firetruck anymore, a couple of young firefighters from West Virginia bought it and gave it some paint to parade aroung their town. They drove it home in January over 400 miles and their only concern was the brakes holding out on a long, downhill approach to their city. They made it as I have talked to them since.

I don't know if you remember, but I got under the skin of one of the cops at the fairgrounds that day. I was thinking i might get locked up, when Marv said Don't worry, I'll follow you to jail & bail you out immediately. That dumb cop didn't look too happy, but he didn't hassle me anymore. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I had gone up to the gas station to fill the firetruck, what was the cop incident all about?

I had gone up to the gas station to fill the firetruck, what was the cop incident all about?

They were getting ready to lift the trailer(it was still on the ground!!) and i could hear an air leak somewhere so I was looking around at the back of the truck around trying to find out where and the cop didn't like that. After marv said that, the cop told me to go wait in my truck, which i didn't do. I grabbed a soda & went back to helping Ray. The cop never said anything else to me.

I wonder what ever happened to Ray. I know he hasn't been at nationals since then. HE probably doesn't like us anymore.