Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Farmall Doctor

It's ALIVE!!!

Well, for the whole story, I dragged this '53 R-120 home about 15 years ago. The engine was very badly siezed, no brakes, siezed clutch, flat tires... the works, but it was complete. (at least it has a nice bench seat in it. :P Over the years I have gathered parts here and there, and was able to buy a newer "slant valve" Black Diamond 264 at an auction for $35.00. It was sitting outside by the scrap pile, but I knew that it wasn't siezed so I brought it home... that was 10 years ago. I threw it in the barn and kept turning it every few months. In the meantime I scrapped out a mid 60's travelall for the engine, trans, rad and hoses...these parts were saved just-in-case.

Fast forward to 3 weeks ago....when I got the itch. The '53 was in the very back of the barn with 15 years worth of stuff in front of it.... Dad decided to fix up an old utility trailer that was beside the truck, so, hey, perfect opportunity to clean the barn up, which I like doing anyways. After a full day of straightening up, the trailer, then the '53 came out on a Saturday evening to see the first sunlight in 15 years. I spent most of the day Sunday removing the old SD-220 engine. The clutch disk was so siezed to the input shaft that the clutch was destroyed in the process, since there isn't room to pull the engine and trans out in one chunk. Monday was a holiday, so I spent the day swapping engine mounts, building a decent clutch (spare parts :D ) and making a front pulley that would match the newer engine to the older style engine mounts. I used the rad hoses from the travelall, and the original belt. I had it turning over, but my battery sucked, so we towed it with the Farmall 230. It took a bit but it did try to run.....it was puking gasoline from the fuel pump, and out the carb, so that was enough for the time.

I completely rebuilt the carb and found a good fuel pump on another engine that I got out of an R-100 (more spare parts). I installed these last Saturday, found a better battery, cranked it and it fired!! :D:D A little fine tuning with a points file, and a couple of spare spark plugs, and it runs PERFECT!! :D It was so exciting to finally drive the old girl after so many years. I got up the nerve to take it down the road, and man is it peppy! Can you believe it's the first time that I drove a "3 on the tree"? Now I can't wait to have brakes...hehe :P:P The 264 is nearly the same engine as a Farmall 656 or 706, but I think it is rated at around 140 horse. I have a long list of things to do before it can be road legal, but my plan is to make it mechanically sound, and repair the "big holes" in the fenders, safety it, and drive it like it is just for fun. I have too many things on my plate to even think about a full restoration, besides, I love a beater pickup!! :D

It looks like my biggest expense of the whole thing will be getting the brakes working, since I got the truck for free in the first place. I'm just so excited that I thought I'd write up the story to share with all my RedPower friends. I'll keep you's updated.

Darryn B)

Great job Darryn. Nice to see something come back from the dead! One thing about bombing around Ridgetown in that truck......the local's will know who's coming and not have to stretch their necks to make a positive ID Hehe. If she scoots like you say it does you need to take it for a trip down the Scane and get the carbon out of her......Take care.

Fast forward to 3 weeks ago....when I got the itch. The '53 was in the very back of the barn with 15 years worth of stuff in front of it.... Dad decided to fix up an old utility trailer that was beside the truck, so, hey, perfect opportunity to clean the barn up, which I like doing anyways.

Congratulations on getting the old r running Darryn. Its much like my brothers L-130 except his is four on the floor and all original with the 220. He had a parts L120 with the three on the tree like yours.

Well, for the whole story, I dragged this '53 R-120 home about 15 years ago. The engine was very badly siezed, no brakes, siezed clutch, flat tires... the works, but it was complete. (at least it has a nice bench seat in it. :P Over the years I have gathered parts here and there, and was able to buy a newer "slant valve" Black Diamond 264 at an auction for $35.00. It was sitting outside by the scrap pile, but I knew that it wasn't siezed so I brought it home... that was 10 years ago. I threw it in the barn and kept turning it every few months. In the meantime I scrapped out a mid 60's travelall for the engine, trans, rad and hoses...these parts were saved just-in-case.

Fast forward to 3 weeks ago....when I got the itch. The '53 was in the very back of the barn with 15 years worth of stuff in front of it.... Dad decided to fix up an old utility trailer that was beside the truck, so, hey, perfect opportunity to clean the barn up, which I like doing anyways. After a full day of straightening up, the trailer, then the '53 came out on a Saturday evening to see the first sunlight in 15 years. I spent most of the day Sunday removing the old SD-220 engine. The clutch disk was so siezed to the input shaft that the clutch was destroyed in the process, since there isn't room to pull the engine and trans out in one chunk. Monday was a holiday, so I spent the day swapping engine mounts, building a decent clutch (spare parts :D ) and making a front pulley that would match the newer engine to the older style engine mounts. I used the rad hoses from the travelall, and the original belt. I had it turning over, but my battery sucked, so we towed it with the Farmall 230. It took a bit but it did try to run.....it was puking gasoline from the fuel pump, and out the carb, so that was enough for the time.

I completely rebuilt the carb and found a good fuel pump on another engine that I got out of an R-100 (more spare parts). I installed these last Saturday, found a better battery, cranked it and it fired!! :D:D A little fine tuning with a points file, and a couple of spare spark plugs, and it runs PERFECT!! :D It was so exciting to finally drive the old girl after so many years. I got up the nerve to take it down the road, and man is it peppy! Can you believe it's the first time that I drove a "3 on the tree"? Now I can't wait to have brakes...hehe :P:P The 264 is nearly the same engine as a Farmall 656 or 706, but I think it is rated at around 140 horse. I have a long list of things to do before it can be road legal, but my plan is to make it mechanically sound, and repair the "big holes" in the fenders, safety it, and drive it like it is just for fun. I have too many things on my plate to even think about a full restoration, besides, I love a beater pickup!! :D

It looks like my biggest expense of the whole thing will be getting the brakes working, since I got the truck for free in the first place. I'm just so excited that I thought I'd write up the story to share with all my RedPower friends. I'll keep you's updated.

Darryn B)

Yeah that BD 264 is a peppy motor That' what I'm running in Brutus (60 B-162)

Darryn, I know you're a mechanic by trade, but how much land do you farm (if any)? And if so, do you use vintage equipment? Just curious after looking at your pictures in PhotoBucket.

Darryn, I know you're a mechanic by trade, but how much land do you farm (if any)? And if so, do you use vintage equipment? Just curious after looking at your pictures in PhotoBucket.

Thanks for asking. Dad and I both work full time and farm the home 100 acres after work. Our newest tractor is the 1981 1486 and the combine is a 915 low profile. We have all vintage IH equipment and it all gets used. I spent all of last week using my 300 to bale straw after suppers with the 1950's New Holland baler. If you have High speed internet I have a few videos on YouTube under the same user name.

Thanks,

Darryn B)

That sounds like fun and work at the same time. My wife and I live on her family's farm in the old farmhouse. Unfortuneately, there's only 1 1/2 acres left of the original 80 acre farm. I have talked to the current owner of the land about purchasing it, but he says it is all tied up with a mortgage and he needs it for haying as he is a dairy farmer. So I grow pumpkins on 1 acre of "borrowed" land for now. At least I get a chance to run my equipment once or twice a year.

Hats off to you! A can or two of grey primer and you're there... :D My '65 and '67 both have the 241 motor, as reliable as a machine can be, goes, well, stops, ... :blink: well.... :lol:

2023Sep07031.jpg

Hi folks. I just put the old R-120 back in the shop for some work. Any idea where might be the best place to get brake parts? I don't know what all I need yet, but I thought I'd ask. I'm going out to work on it yet tonight, so I'll get a couple of pics.

Thanks,

Darryn B)

n58015097_38036311_9611.jpg

post-132-1205804438_thumb.jpg

Here's what I found when I removed the right front drum! :blink: HaHa, NO brakes!! The shoes must have gotten "stolen" for another truck....I'll have to ask Ralph...hehe. :P The left front shoes don't have any liner left, and the adjuster is pretty bad, so I guess I'm looking at a whole bunch of new stuff.. at least I think that I can save the cylinders. I will have to put the drums in the lathe to see how they clean up, but I think they will be okay.

Hello,

Maybe they rusted away! :D:P ,, No prolly Bandits, :ph34r::ph34r:

Lincoln Clutch and Brake had the all the parts on hand for my R160.. It was quite a suprise when the

fellow knew what parts were on the shelf without a computer!! Ended up using linings and an Ebay riveter to

save shipping and shoe core charge.

Had to do kingpins too! At -20F

coldr160.jpg

-Steve-

-20, eh? BRRRR!! :blush: Do ya have any more pictures of that truck? I really like the old R's. So far so good, I got the cylinders cleaned up in my electrolysis cleaner and used the casting numbers to order the rebuild kits. Apparently Canadian and American trucks had some differences...my US parts book does not show a double piston 1" brake cylinder! The fellows over at OLDIHC.ORG helped me out that way!

Frustrating as it can be, the search for, and learning about different parts are part of the fun!

Thanks,

Darryn B)

Hello FD,

Yes I do love R model trucks and am looking for a 110 or 120 for my summer daily driver,

My R160 is handy for the bigger jobs. I'm currently rewiring it. Shortly I'll need to have it ready to

bring in next years fire wood. Below it was haulin siding from the local mill...

aug06008.jpg

I'll be sure to get pictures of it "workin"...-Steve-