Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfcircle

Having issues with 3 pt. hitch Draft control

Alright, I'm a bit confused here (it's not a long trip...)

It seems that the Position and Draft contols for my 3 point hitch are not working properly. IF I understand their operation properly, the Position lever controls how high or low the 3 point hitch rides with a piece of equipment attached to it. You set the Draft lever when you are working with an impliment (say a plow) and you want to maintain a certain depth accross changing soil conditions or over rolling ground. My operators manual says that if you are not using the Draft control, to set the lever all the way to the "Heavy" setting and that "locks out" the draft sensing system. Since I am just dragging a backblade around on my driveway for snow removal, I just want to raise and lower the blade. But the only way to get the 3 point hitch to lift it is if I put the Position lever in the raised position and use the Draft lever to raise it (light) or lower it (heavy).

Any ideas? MR

If I understand it right, you are saying that the position lever will not lift the 3pt when you put it in the raise position unless you also pull up the draft lever.

Sounds like something is disconected on the position control.

the draft control should only control the working depth.

If I understand it right, you are saying that the position lever will not lift the 3pt when you put it in the raise position unless you also pull up the draft lever.

Yes, you are correct. I also noticed that the position control lever only moves about 3/4 of the way to the top of the slot. And I noticed that if I use the auxillary hydraulic control valve either "up" or "down", the 3 point raises as well.

Yes, you are correct. I also noticed that the position control lever only moves about 3/4 of the way to the top of the slot. And I noticed that if I use the auxillary hydraulic control valve either "up" or "down", the 3 point raises as well.

I think the unloader valve is stuck open or the O ring is shot.

But you still should be able to move the lever all the way up.

Will the remote raise the 3pt if the position lever is near the bottom?

BTW what tractor is it?

Ray

BTW what tractor is it?

Ray

Ray, here is what it is doing:

-Draft Control in "heavy", Position Control in either "lower" or "raise", remote does nothing, moving the remote in either direction

-Draft Control in "light", Position Control in either "lower" or "raise", remote raises the 3 pt, moving the remote in either direction

The tractor is an IH 464. Thanks for your help!!!!!

MR

BTW what tractor is it?

Ray

Ray, here is what it is doing:

-Draft Control in "heavy", Position Control in either "lower" or "raise", remote does nothing, moving the remote in either direction

-Draft Control in "light", Position Control in either "lower" or "raise", remote raises the 3 pt, moving the remote in either direction

The tractor is an IH 464. Thanks for your help!!!!!

MR

I am not sure how the smaller tractor Hydraulics work.

But I know the ones with lower link draft control will lift the arms when you use the remote if the unloader valve is stuck open.

The 464 will have top link sensing for the draft control.

It works a bit different, maybe the spring is broken on the top link sensor.

that may be the cause of the position lever not going up all the way.

I will have a look at my parts CD.

Ray

I am not sure how the smaller tractor Hydraulics work.

But I know the ones with lower link draft control will lift the arms when you use the remote if the unloader valve is stuck open.

The 464 will have top link sensing for the draft control.

It works a bit different, maybe the spring is broken on the top link sensor.

that may be the cause of the position lever not going up all the way.

I will have a look at my parts CD.

Ray

Ray, what were you able find out?

THanks... Mark

Mark

The 464 hydraulic work the same way as the biger ones.

Check for loose or broken draft spring and control linkage, as well as check out the unloader valve. ( its under the seat)

Let me know what you find.

Ray

Mark

The 464 hydraulic work the same way as the biger ones.

Check for loose or broken draft spring and control linkage, as well as check out the unloader valve. ( its under the seat)

Let me know what you find.

Ray

Thanks Ray!!! :D:D I'll let you know what I find. Might be a few days before it warms up enough for me to dare take my gloves off and work on it though..... :o

Mark

I know this thread is really old but it's the only thing I can find on the net that describes exactly the problem I'm having with my 354. Is anyone still watching this?

Alex

If you remove the seat and platform you will see a sort of square valve 6x6 7x7 inches or so that has a LARGE plug screwed into it.

If you remove the plug you should easily be able to remove the unloading valve piston. Should be free to move in it's bore and it has a PIN HOLE drilled in it that allows the piston to move back and forth under controlled flow exposer. The pin hole must not be obstructed such as a small pc of rubber or dirt.

While that piston is out of the valve also a spring take a drag link socket on a 3/8 ths extension and make sure the plug in the bottom of the bore is tight. DO not remove the plug.

While you have the seat off look to the right side on the hitch cover top and you will see a small access cover that is there for adjustment purposes but you may be able to use a mirror and flashlight to look inside while moving the levers to see if anything is unhooked. Happy hunting.

thanks for the advice. im going to have a go at this tomorrow. A couple of questions, if that's ok.

i assume the valve you're describing is on the front side of the hitch cover top and the plug looks like a large bolt?

i need to drain some or all of the hydraulic fluid before i remove the plug?

what are the adjustments inside the small access cover?

thanks again,

alex