IH Tractors on Montana Farm

Old Binder Guy

I'd say they are Moreland trucks.  They were built in California from 1911 to 1940.  Their large 5-Ton model used a dual rear drive with cast wheels like in jeeper61's photo.

112619462_01SierraSaltTruck.thumb.jpg.58da01a03b47cebe5091b0ae29e419bb.jpg106102379_UNK635--WhiteSmith--BishopSierraSalt_Co.thumb.jpg.fe33bf0d1f3c12594e095ef8160844e1.jpg54f38d7b94f6f.image.jpg.6789e40b74aabc4ffd389b834dc50bdc.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 7/11/2022 at 8:26 PM, Howard_P said:

Definitely look like Fords to me.  Since that body style was new for 49, I don't think any specials like the Victoria were offered for a couple years.

Howard, you are correct. The Victoria came out in 1951.

2 hours ago, jeeper61 said:

Anyone seen one of these?

image.png.1e635c5ee4b802678295a0f7db8f639b.png

I never have seen one of the early Jeeps with tracks (at least that I might remember?)

I'd not heard this about the 1206 International Diesel either. Gary😲

The 1206 IH tractor was purportedly delayed for a year.jpg

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Old Binder Guy said:

I never have seen one of the early Jeeps with tracks (at least that I might remember?)

I'd not heard this about the 1206 International Diesel either. Gary😲

The 1206 IH tractor was purportedly delayed for a year.jpg

That may very well be. Got to looking through my vids for the one on the 1206. They mention that the tires are specially made for it at 3:45 in the filmstrip.

Wonder if those are radials? Think they're the first 23º lug on an IH tractor as well.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have read that 1206 would slip the tire on the bead and rip valve stem in tube so tire technologies had to be developed to stop it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I ran across these photo's on ED Etnyre & Co Oregon, IL FB page they make asphalt equipment started in 1898.

Not sure on the truck makes on all 

Horse Drawn ground driven road oiler Makuoketa, IA 1914

Horse Drawen  ground drivenroad oiler Makuoketa IA 1914.jpg

1910 Asphalt Sprayer 

1910 Asphalt sprayer.jpg

Bituminous sprayer Findlay OH 

Etnyre bituminous sprayer Findlay Oh.jpg

1930 Cambridge Mass 

Adlen Speare's and sons 1930 Cambridge Mass.jpg

Street Flusher Oregon IL

Street Flusher.jpg

IH Street Flusher 1950

1950 Oregon.IL street flusher.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Talking about tanks, this one isn't a old one. Matter of fact a brand new vacuum trailer. But l've never seen a drop belly like it before. They said it is to lower the center of gravity and less prone to rollovers. l don't doubt it from the way l've seen some water haulers drive. You would think they got their CDL's from Mickey D's Klown Kollege.

Vacuum-Tank-Trailers-Tiger-MINIMIZER-16972772.jpg

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, twostepn2001 said:

Talking about tanks, this one isn't a old one. Matter of fact a brand new vacuum trailer. But l've never seen a drop belly like it before. They said it is to lower the center of gravity and less prone to rollovers. l don't doubt it from the way l've seen some water haulers drive. You would think they got their CDL's from Mickey D's Klown Kollege.

Vacuum-Tank-Trailers-Tiger-MINIMIZER-16972772.jpg

Where did you see that?  The only one I have seen sat at a trailer place on the north side of Abilene on westbound I-20 before you get to Hooters/Lowes.

I stopped and asked, and got the same answer as you.  I am also not enamored with water haulers, as when they water the lease road, it would get my equipment all muddy.

At least they put the fill line on the front hatch, as I can imagine some oil field hand trying to fill it from the rear or middle hatch, and never being able to figure out why his trailer never gets completely full.

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Art From Coleman said:

At least they put the fill line on the front hatch, as I can imagine some oil field hand trying to fill it from the rear or middle hatch, and never being able to figure out why his trailer never gets completely full.

It's got to have a sperate front compartment or you would get a surprise when opening the rear the hatch when full 🙂 

• Like 1

Just now, jeeper61 said:

It's got to have a sperate front compartment or you would get a surprise when opening the rear the hatch when full 🙂 

Good point, but they really are made to unload using gravity, or they can be pressurized to offload your product.  To fill them, the tractor would use suction.

But, when we would tie a vacuum truck into a centrifugal pump, we would have the driver, open the vent on the trailer to keep it from collapsing.

Here IS a video explaining not only how a vacuum truck works, BUT, IT ALSO SHOWS A TYPICAL WATER TRUCK DRIVER, thus proving Mr. TwoStep's assessment of them.

Warning:  Introduction IS vomit inducing

1 hour ago, Art From Coleman said:

The only one I have seen sat at a trailer place on the north side of Abilene on westbound I-20 before you get to Hooters/Lowes.

Yes Art, that is the Circle D Truck and Trailer Sales. According to their website those trailers are built by Tiger Tank.

1 hour ago, Art From Coleman said:

Here is another oddity I ran across 

Cook Brothers made chain drive drive systems and trucks 

This is a prototype military Vehicle they made the in 1942,with two Cadillac engines driving two chain-driven bogies, front and rear.

Twin steer army truck.webp

They made chain drive trucks up to 1964 one of the last products was a mixer truck

I think later moved to mixers only as Challenge Cook

Cook Mixer.jpeg

• Like 4

l was prowling the 'net yesterday and saw this pic. l found it interesting because l used to climb poles for a electric CO-OP many years ago. But then l got to looking at the trucks and l saw something curious. The truck facing forward in the pic is a Diamond-T. l noticed the cabs were the same but then l saw the International badges on the back truck. Did IH build cabs for Daimond-T or vice versa?

image.thumb.png.928ddb259acf03eed6f321a4835f9c10.png

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, twostepn2001 said:

Did IH build cabs for Daimond-T

Yes I think they sold cabs to several makers Hendrickson was another with IH cabs  

I think this is a R cab

• Like 3

Here is a good photo collection of Hendrickson trucks

I think most have IH cabs but I am not sure on the square cab over kind of looks like a Dodge 

I used to see a lot of these in northern IL in the 90's still working.

Back in my childhood I remember seeing one of those BDs leave town every afternoon with a load that truck was new then  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, twostepn2001 said:

Did IH build cabs for Diamond-T or vice versa?

Actually, that cab that IH called the ComfoVision cab was originally a product of the Chicago Cab Company.  IH began using the cab in 1950 in the L-line.  After 3 years of puchasing cabs, IH began manufacturing their own cabs.  Chicago Cab continued manufacturing and sold to many manufacturers.  13 manufacturers besides IH used the cab:Canadian Car, CCC, Cline, Coleman, Dart, Diamond T, Diamond Reo, Duplex, FWD, Hendrickson, Leyland (Canada), Oshkosh, Reo, Sicard.  I don't know if IH sold cabs to anyone.  That was probably Chicago Cab's market.

But IH and Diamond T did build some trucks for each other.  In the 1950s, Diamond T was building some of the heaviest R-line construction trucks in Chicago for IH while the Diamond T version of the IH CO-VCO was running down the assembly line in Fort Wayne intermixed with the IH versions.  I know one man whose first job at IH was to install the correct logos on those trucks as there was little other difference.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Howard_P said:

Actually, that cab that IH called the ComfoVision cab was originally a product of the Chicago Cab Company.  IH began using the cab in 1950 in the L-line.  After 3 years of puchasing cabs, IH began manufacturing their own cabs.  Chicago Cab continued manufacturing and sold to many manufacturers.  13 manufacturers besides IH used the cab:Canadian Car, CCC, Cline, Coleman, Dart, Diamond T, Diamond Reo, Duplex, FWD, Hendrickson, Leyland (Canada), Oshkosh, Reo, Sicard.  I don't know if IH sold cabs to anyone.  That was probably Chicago Cab's market.

But IH and Diamond T did build some trucks for each other.  In the 1950s, Diamond T was building some of the heaviest R-line construction trucks in Chicago for IH while the Diamond T version of the IH CO-VCO was running down the assembly line in Fort Wayne intermixed with the IH versions.  I know one man whose first job at IH was to install the correct logos on those trucks as there was little other difference.

Thanks for the history on the cabs!!

Did IH happen to buy Chicago Cab?

Looking at the Hendrickson truck photos there are what looks to be newer cabs than the ComfoVision cab

Pretty much seems to follow the progression of IH cabs through the S series 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Howard_P said:
22 hours ago, twostepn2001 said:

Actually, that cab that IH called the ComfoVision cab was originally a product of the Chicago Cab Company

Thanks Howard_P for the information!! l never realized that the same basic cab was on so many different trucks.

• Thanks 1