Jump to content

IH Tractors on Montana Farm


Old Binder Guy

Recommended Posts

This is saddening.  I only knew Anson through the forum but felt like he was my neighbor. The man could tell a story and make you feel as if you were there to see it unfold. An internet hero of mine without a doubt. I pray for strength for his family.  I’m sure the Good Lord above had a special piece of Delta Dirt set aside up there for our friend. A man I was proud to know (even if it was just through this thread) and call my friend. Rest easy sir!

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I sure am sorry to hear of Anson's passing.  I too never met him in person, it just seems like he would be one to sit down and chat with about old time stuff.  I always thought I might get up that way and chat with him.  

Rest in peace, Anson

Fred B

South Texas

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anson and I had so many bouts with Choo Choo caps versus the "pokey dot" types over the years. I'll post this photo of me in honor of Anson (and even Roger) for now.

972483607_ChooChooengineerscapandbluecrippsscarfAnsonRoger15hpCase6-17-18.thumb.jpg.06d4d86c9aef03493f9a4e17d3ae6985.jpg

Anson and Baby Bear are wearing their "engineer's caps."

1587120785_AnsonSheldongrandsonwiththeirchoochoocaps.jpg.a59bd23e459a34f670c863037d47c543.jpg

Grandson, Baby Bear and Anson. I think losing his son just about tore Anson's heart out.

839519273_babybearandgrandpaAnsonSheldon.thumb.jpg.12614f6c981db6ab21ba98a9d6e08b29.jpg

Anson and Wrangler were almost joined at the hips. We'll really miss Anson's AND Wrangler's wisdom here.

675361591_AnsonSheldonandWrangler.thumb.jpeg.14b1b5cbfff2ab62e13c97c4ae646eeb.jpeg

I can understand Anson being "taken" by this front lady, Melinda taken in 1961. They had a fine marriage.

879929664_CottonBowlinDallasTexasdatingbacktoJanuary11961AnsonSheldons1964wifefront.jpg.e263f63033fb92f30b233bcc84794813.jpg

Not that long ago, when Anson was in the hospital, Melinda was there so they could celebrate their 58th wedding anniversary together.

1092262687_AnsonMelindaSheldon58thweddinganniversaryinahospitalbed8-2022.jpg.cf5957a19cbafc568a0df01f1c108f6e.jpg

Anson's Dad and uncle Gordon on their IHC Farmall Regulars, the photo that IHC (McCormick-Deering) used on the front cover of their magazine. I don't blame Anson for being proud of this.

1555582122_AnsonSheldonsDadandunclefarmingwithextendedexhaustandintakesonIHCFarmallRegulars_edited-2.thumb.jpg.7afae255fcb3075300a4cab86ce786ba.jpg

Anson was always enamored with this Milwaukee Railroad picture showing a plow bringing up gold coins out of Montana Soil, near Moore and Lewistown. He and I felt the crushing of the economy in 1980 and I think I assured him I NEVER plowed up any gold. But he loved ribbing me about gold coins.

1910682009_MilwaukeeRailroadposteroffarmerplowinggoldcoinsinJudithBasinMooreLewistownAnson.thumb.jpg.68fb14a155d63e2d94ac2c707f58c4b7.jpg

Anson was a blood relation many "Greats" back to Roger Conant. Roger was a Mayflower Pilgrim. 

1794836637_RogerConantbronzestatueofAnsonSheldonsMayflowerrelativeestablishedSalemMassechutses.jpg.7675c4e1730a55dcfbffbd4ec68bcb60.jpg

Anson and I discussed how MY Great, Great, Great, Great, Great, Great, Great, Great Grandfather, Myles Standish and Roger Conant didn't get along. That was THEIR problem. It didn't bother Anson and me.

816235438_MylesmilesStandishstandonwarandgunpowder.jpg.7924ea22a3d34b1bc84f528b16e7b00e.jpg

Anson was a watermelon grower. He never got to deliver a "truckload" of watermelon to Helena for me. But I can buy them in the store.

353936639_AnsonSheldoneatingwatermellonathisranch.thumb.jpg.375ee9ea0f98f043a792d1ab71177bc8.jpg

This is a facsimile of what that could have looked like with him delivering watermelons in an IHC AutoWagon.

1623124597_WatercooledIHCAutoWagonhaulingmelonsnotwatermelons.jpg.a1defbeb8facbd3840ad45c642abefeb.jpg

I just pray that God will comfort Anson's family at this time of sorrow. Rest In Peace, my friend. You will certainly be missed here, Anson.       Old Binder Guy, aka: Gary😢😢😢

 

  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don’t want to overstep by doing so, but someone who knew him better should make a post in the general. Perhaps once an Obit is available? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Anson did indeed have an interesting family history and I liked to read it here.  Will sure miss wranglers wisdom as well. We will have to keep up the B.lue S.moke in  their honor. 

Always felt bad for him about losing his son who I believe was his only child?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you Roger for the news albeit sad 😪 

My condolences to Melinda, family and Wrangler, he was a great long time member and he will be missed. Very informative southern life for me from the land of ice and snow, I had hoped to possibly meet when I do my motorcycle trip but will have to wait til the other side

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

When l read Roger's post about Anson being gone, it was like someone hit me in the stomach with a 2x4. l never met him face to face, but we had talked on the phone several times and quite a few e-mails and of course countless messages here in the IH Tractors on Montana Farm. He said he always got a kick out of the "Missing Mississippi Melons in Montana Caper" especially when Bigfoot and Captain Kirk of the Enterprise got involved. And l will miss our conversations about cotton farming.   Rest ln Peace Delta Dirt.....

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok gentlemen, I had a crazy thought. There is a thread in the general forum looking for stories for the 100 year anniversary of the Farmall.  Anson was always proud of his father and the advertising picture Gary posted a page back.  What better tip of the hat to our friend than try to find that story in his words to share?  I know that story is here somewhere. Thoughts?  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Ok gentlemen, I had a crazy thought. There is a thread in the general forum looking for stories for the 100 year anniversary of the Farmall.  Anson was always proud of his father and the advertising picture Gary posted a page back.  What better tip of the hat to our friend than try to find that story in his words to share?  I know that story is here somewhere. Thoughts?  

Good Idea 

Were was that story in this thread?

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok,  Anson always referred to his father as “Daddy” so a search of his content and the word “daddy” yielded some good stuff. I took screen shots. What does everyone remember/think? Maybe refine it a little or try putting it in better order?

D135DFF0-A8BD-4B78-9AD5-1AEF31491105.png

C2700E5A-2BD0-43A2-A595-7FA5CFBD1651.png

ECA6325A-0BED-4EC7-8B2A-F5216DE23B1E.jpeg

5653E689-EA4F-48A1-9D21-3CE5E99B73B9.png

11CA8D1B-135A-41DD-8653-8E67D0CBC21C.png

02818458-ABC8-4296-ADCB-B7925E026410.png

818E183C-09EA-4F1A-AB05-7377EBE451AF.png

645A3D14-88F3-477D-A17C-448314E77542.jpeg

F5119FD7-4DC1-4D42-9195-CD752BAF0277.jpeg

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So sorry to hear about Anson's passing. A wealth of knowledge now lost. I don't post on here as often as some of you fellas and certainly didn't have the personal relationship that some of you did with him but he was more than willing to try to explain how the levees work on the river for me. Having never been around river bottoms with levees, I had no idea. The bottoms around here just flood. It normally only happens in the spring before planting. Thanks again, Anson. You will be missed. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

Ok,  Anson always referred to his father as “Daddy” so a search of his content and the word “daddy” yielded some good stuff. I took screen shots. What does everyone remember/think? Maybe refine it a little or try putting it in better order?

D135DFF0-A8BD-4B78-9AD5-1AEF31491105.png

C2700E5A-2BD0-43A2-A595-7FA5CFBD1651.png

ECA6325A-0BED-4EC7-8B2A-F5216DE23B1E.jpeg

5653E689-EA4F-48A1-9D21-3CE5E99B73B9.png

11CA8D1B-135A-41DD-8653-8E67D0CBC21C.png

02818458-ABC8-4296-ADCB-B7925E026410.png

818E183C-09EA-4F1A-AB05-7377EBE451AF.png

645A3D14-88F3-477D-A17C-448314E77542.jpeg

F5119FD7-4DC1-4D42-9195-CD752BAF0277.jpeg

Todd... Young Man, you did a marvelous thing for us old duffers here on Red Power. I can do certain things with computers, but other things I'm just lost. I was thinking, If someone had me put in  prison, in an isolation cell with a 10 year sentence before being eligible for parole, that would be the only way I could find what you just dug up tonight. I DID go searching for a few minutes. I typed in Anson Sheldon. That didn't do a lot. Then I woke up and put in Delta Dirt. That was more lively, but I could have still spent a week looking for what you found. I'd put something in the box at the right above (like Delta Dirt) and I'd get a message to wait 8 seconds before going on. Then It's like the whole system just wanted to lock me up. So I went off of the internet.

Am I ever proud of you for digging up all of that fine material about Anson and his "Daddy!" I'm thrilled to pieces. Since you found it, would you mind posting it over for everyone else? You have sure made my evening! I've so appreciated all of you fine friends that post on this thread. Keep us in the loop Todd. Thank you my friend.  Old Binder Guy; aka, Gary😊

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the kind words Gary. The work is befitting of the man it was done for. 
 

Real question though:  I think most of the information is there in what I found but I almost think it needs cleaned up and put in chronological order a bit. I can’t tell his story really but I could maybe take that stuff and try to put order in it and write it “as told by”  or something like that?  I need opinions please. Does what I’m saying make sense?  I want it to be as if Anson wrote it but not steal any thunder from the story if that makes sense?
 

It’s kind of like another one of his “daddy” stories. “Daddy said you could get a woman pregnant in a hammock but that is doing things the hard way”———This made me laugh and laugh,  Todd

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Thanks for the kind words Gary. The work is befitting of the man it was done for. 
 

Real question though:  I think most of the information is there in what I found but I almost think it needs cleaned up and put in chronological order a bit. I can’t tell his story really but I could maybe take that stuff and try to put order in it and write it “as told by”  or something like that?  I need opinions please. Does what I’m saying make sense?  I want it to be as if Anson wrote it but not steal any thunder from the story if that makes sense?
 

It’s kind of like another one of his “daddy” stories. “Daddy said you could get a woman pregnant in a hammock but that is doing things the hard way”———This made me laugh and laugh,  Todd

Todd, I can't think of a better person for the task at hand. I'm sure you can do a nice job and make Anson proud. That said, I'm sure that more than one of us would be willing to assist with proof reading, fact checking or whatever else is needed. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, 12_Guy said:

Todd, I can't think of a better person for the task at hand. I'm sure you can do a nice job and make Anson proud. That said, I'm sure that more than one of us would be willing to assist with proof reading, fact checking or whatever else is needed. 

Todd, I agree with 12_Guy. I'd be willing to do things you might need done. I'm good at legwork. I know you and Anson had some fine conversations going over things from his "iron pile." Just let me know if you need help with something. We're pullin' for you! Gary😁

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...