IH Tractors on Montana Farm

Old Binder Guy

Gary I hope you and the missus are recuperating steadily! Hope Anson and Wrangler are doing well also. 

Always like your stories and photos. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I finally got a chance to plant sweet corn this week. Working night shift this week gives me time during the day to get things done. Even played in the creek some more one morning.  Don’t tell the army corps of engineers but we made a temporary dam and did some small scale boating. I was the dam builder and head shovel operator.  The shovel is a “wood” brand WW2 folder dated 1945. I cleaned it up and put it to work. Little guy was the boat captain. A good time was had by all.  Today I finished up a wall hanger. The whitetail buck was from last fall. I made the plaque out of something I found. 100 year old barn wood, 1/4 round for the frame complete with craized white paint from age, and a picture of the deer live on the hood we got on a trail camera. Should look good on the wall inside since I doubt it would be smart to leave it hanging on the barn 😊

014928F0-A962-4019-88E8-9A8AA1F16826.jpeg

62448CC2-4989-4A67-BC71-2CFA47F4D3C1.jpeg

2A39C1F8-379E-45E8-99BA-176C53F0B636.jpeg

• Like 7

Well Professor, glad to hear you're still kickin! I admit I was a mite worried not hearing from you these past few days. I'll be thinking about you and the Mrs. and hoping for a speed recovery. 

Some of you fellers may be interested to know that we planted our cotton on Monday. Traditionally all the cotton here was planted on or before May 10th, so we just barely squeaked by. I used my old Planet Junior #4 to plant the seeds, and it did surprisingly well at the Parsnip setting. 

Resized_20220509_185254.thumb.jpeg.e57f6f6726b07e2c0b272aadf793adc5.jpegResized_20220509_184933.thumb.jpeg.8676e35a3e2b807ae726fafde13512ec.jpeg

I squeezed a row and a half between the pinto beans and the overflow tomatoes. Sadly that was all the room I had this time. Will try a bigger patch next year if this works out well. 

Thanks again @twostepn2001 and the Booger Creek Gin Company for supplying the seed for this big project. Hope that we'll be able to have something for you to gin this fall. Mayhap Roger could haul it down for me on his way back from Montana with the watermelons? By the time he started back this way it'd be picking time I figure.

Mac

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, MacAR said:

Well Professor, glad to hear you're still kickin! I admit I was a mite worried not hearing from you these past few days. I'll be thinking about you and the Mrs. and hoping for a speed recovery. 

Some of you fellers may be interested to know that we planted our cotton on Monday. Traditionally all the cotton here was planted on or before May 10th, so we just barely squeaked by. I used my old Planet Junior #4 to plant the seeds, and it did surprisingly well at the Parsnip setting. 

Resized_20220509_185254.thumb.jpeg.e57f6f6726b07e2c0b272aadf793adc5.jpegResized_20220509_184933.thumb.jpeg.8676e35a3e2b807ae726fafde13512ec.jpeg

I squeezed a row and a half between the pinto beans and the overflow tomatoes. Sadly that was all the room I had this time. Will try a bigger patch next year if this works out well. 

Thanks again @twostepn2001 and the Booger Creek Gin Company for supplying the seed for this big project. Hope that we'll be able to have something for you to gin this fall. Mayhap Roger could haul it down for me on his way back from Montana with the watermelons? By the time he started back this way it'd be picking time I figure.

Mac

Keep us posted on that cotton. I was given some seed from a member here that I planted a few years ago. It was enjoyable to grow. There was never cotton grown here in Southern Illinois traditionally. I’m sure Booger Creek will be booming this fall! 😊

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

I’m sure Booger Creek will be booming this fall! 😊

I sure hope so Sledge. The wife has plans for all that stuff, but I don't think it'll make as much as she thinks it will. Think next year, if we can get enough seed, I'll find a cotton plate for the 186 and plant a bit bigger spot down in the bottom. Course, then I'll have more to pick! Need to see if the old pick sack is still in the shed or have a new one made up if it's gone or too rotten. 

Mac

• Like 3

https://farmandanimals.com/why-is-it-illegal-to-grow-cotton-in-some-states/

Just so you know, there are those of us that grow cotton commercially.  We recently got our fees lowered but at one time we were paying over $28.00/acre to the boll weevil eradication program.  They want their money if you put the seed in the ground regardless if you make a crop or not -- you still owe the money.   To my knowledge all of the US is in a boll weevil eradication situation.  

All cotton planted is supposed to be registered with the county.  We are not allowed any personal acres.  

Please read the above link so as not to get in trouble.  There are many other links regarding growing cotton in the US.  It is not to be taken lightly.  

• Thanks 1

@Fred B just so you know, my county agent laughed at me when I asked him about growing cotton here. Your article seems incorrect as well, as he knew of no reporting requirements for small plots. Plots over a certain size, however are required to be registered. 

Mac

• Like 2

@MacAR glad to see you getting the cotton seed in the ground. l wouldn't worry about no boll weevils. Even if you was to have a problem...who you gonna call??  Crop Dusters!!  Matter of fact you can always call Dale "Dead Bug" Dribble. He has a hangar and a strip right across the highway from the Booger Creek Gin.

image.thumb.png.c71840d73e36e249be7674af7af38b14.png

• Haha 5

Thanks for the reference twostepn! Might have to holler at ol Dale when it blooms. You gotta stay after them critters, so I hear.

Mac

Edit to add: I went down and looked today after the rain, and we have sprouts! I'd forgotten how quickly it comes up when the ground is warm and moist. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Boll weevils must be something like our "potato bugs" we raise here in Montana? If you plant potatoes, you have potato bugs. It sounds like if you plant cotton, you get boll weevils? Automatically? I think I have about 10 of those old DDT sprayers out at Silver Creek. I'm keeping a close eye on the cotton in my navel. If I see a boll weevil there I'll get one of those sprayers down and put some DDT in it and spray the heck out of them. I don't raise enough cotton to pay the Boll Weevil tax. Gary😉

pesticide sprayers east wall of shop 10-13-16.jpg

• Haha 6

On 5/13/2022 at 2:25 PM, Sledgehammer said:

I finally got a chance to plant sweet corn this week. Working night shift this week gives me time during the day to get things done. Even played in the creek some more one morning.  Don’t tell the army corps of engineers but we made a temporary dam and did some small scale boating. I was the dam builder and head shovel operator.  The shovel is a “wood” brand WW2 folder dated 1945. I cleaned it up and put it to work. Little guy was the boat captain. A good time was had by all.  Today I finished up a wall hanger. The whitetail buck was from last fall. I made the plaque out of something I found. 100 year old barn wood, 1/4 round for the frame complete with craized white paint from age, and a picture of the deer live on the hood we got on a trail camera. Should look good on the wall inside since I doubt it would be smart to leave it hanging on the barn 😊

014928F0-A962-4019-88E8-9A8AA1F16826.jpeg

62448CC2-4989-4A67-BC71-2CFA47F4D3C1.jpeg

2A39C1F8-379E-45E8-99BA-176C53F0B636.jpeg

Todd, I love that IH Tractor on an Illinois Farm photo!

You and I have  a way of collecting the same sorts of things! The entrenching tool at left is an early WWII. The folder at right came out later. I packed one of the folders for four years too. I found that digging a foxhole required some reconnaissance to find some easier digging. (And I never dug one under fire! Whew!) Somewhere I have one of those WWII military picks too. (That six-pack of Coke at left. That was the big cattle drive commemorative from 1989, when Montana Centennial Statehood came about. I still have that unopened six-pack.) Your antler mount is very tastefully done. Gary😉 

2063562611_EntrenchingtoolsUS.thumb.jpg.05e66c5d6397f43f76d19cfae35abf24.jpg

• Like 3

[just so you know, my county agent laughed at me when I asked him about growing cotton here. Your article seems incorrect as well, as he knew of no reporting requirements for small plots. Plots over a certain size, however are required to be registered.] 

I'm surprised to learn there is a government county agent that thinks the boll weevil problem is funny and planting small plots is OK. Earlier we were paying $28/acre for boll weevil eradication.

There is a plow up date after harvest on cotton. They will check it. If there is one plant hostable, you will be notified, first with phone call. If not taken care of, you will get a letter from the state. Next there will be a hearing, then a fine levied. If not paid, they will start proceedings to put a lien on any real property you may have. I know because I had a neighbor embroiled in that situation.

Maybe your county agent just does not know about the Arkansas Boll Weevil Eradication Program (ABWEP). If you want, look up abwep.org. under FAQ, page 7. Also, there are many articles including by the government on the subject.

The state boll weevil eradication programs are funded by cotton growers, state and federal government.

Our government has big money in the boll weevil irradication program. They are not going to spend money without controls.

While I appreciate humor, there are things like income of livelihood, which probably should not be joked about.

This will be my last word on this subject.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Duly noted... and per your website I'm not in an eradication zone and as such the regulations don't apply. But that's the reason my agent laughed, and I suppose I should've mentioned that. 

ETA: I had a more lengthy reply typed out and decided that out of respect for fellow members that I will refrain from any comments that might be considered un-Christian. I will however part with this statement: I didn't come here to cause trouble. Only to share what I do with my old Red iron. 

My sincerest apologies to Gary for disrupting his excellent thread. 

Mac

• Like 3

Nothing iz more evil than a damm Boll Weevil!!!!!!

505802571_Muleorhorsesrearendbuttassdrawing.jpg.677f10e0c9a5e774c36c7cf365ab9fb6.jpg.f08a3d5baaaef209c89c90d4f255c8d5.jpg

Hay ya'll-------me and old Anson are still around.  We just ain't  been running no fast horse races recently.  SLOOOOWW is the word!!!

DD

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, MacAR said:

Duly noted... and per your website I'm not in an eradication zone and as such the regulations don't apply. But that's the reason my agent laughed, and I suppose I should've mentioned that. 

ETA: I had a more lengthy reply typed out and decided that out of respect for fellow members that I will refrain from any comments that might be considered un-Christian. I will however part with this statement: I didn't come here to cause trouble. Only to share what I do with my old Red iron. 

My sincerest apologies to Gary for disrupting his excellent thread. 

Mac

MacAR, you have as much right to be here as I do. I'm not the owner of the site, just an instigator. Gary😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Old Binder Guy said:

Todd, I love that IH Tractor on an Illinois Farm photo!

You and I have  a way of collecting the same sorts of things! The entrenching tool at left is an early WWII. The folder at right came out later. I packed one of the folders for four years too. I found that digging a foxhole required some reconnaissance to find some easier digging. (And I never dug one under fire! Whew!) Somewhere I have one of those WWII military picks too. (That six-pack of Coke at left. That was the big cattle drive commemorative from 1989, when Montana Centennial Statehood came about. I still have that unopened six-pack.) Your antler mount is very tastefully done. Gary😉 

2063562611_EntrenchingtoolsUS.thumb.jpg.05e66c5d6397f43f76d19cfae35abf24.jpg

Thanks Gary. I’ve got an older T-handle version mounted up on my Grandfather’s pack from WW2.  Why buy something new when you can use something with history for less money?  We do end up gravitating to a lot of the same things. You know what they say about great minds....😁 

I’ve been working on a trail system in the woods near the house. Saturday morning it was nearly impossible to even walk through. Now, you can take a leisurely stroll. I wanted to make a trail for deer to use among other things and was careful to only remove the invasive bush honeysuckle that chokes off a lot of wooded areas here and leave any real trees.  

47C9F5E9-7782-45B0-91E7-55088A1B8D50.jpeg

3FA16114-A584-4418-A977-B36481A470F8.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

I’ve been working on a trail system

Looks good, Sledge. Love the little Gehl skidsteer, is that one of the one's with the 4 cylinder Ford engine? Neighbor had one on his sale a few years back, ran great, went for $500 if I remember. I still kick myself for not buying it!

Anson, glad to see you're still kickin'!

Mac

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, MacAR said:

Looks good, Sledge. Love the little Gehl skidsteer, is that one of the one's with the 4 cylinder Ford engine? Neighbor had one on his sale a few years back, ran great, went for $500 if I remember. I still kick myself for not buying it!

Anson, glad to see you're still kickin'!

Mac

This has a Perkins diesel.  It has recently had quite a bit done to it. Rebuilt injectors, injection pump, new starter, etc... It has been around here since the early-mid 90’s and can sure hold its own for its age/size

39D7177F-DEA1-4052-AB71-D02DAAF94F94.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Always enjoy the happens in Macs area as well as Gary's and all the other regulars here. 

Good to see Anson and Wrangler!

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

Thanks Gary. I’ve got an older T-handle version mounted up on my Grandfather’s pack from WW2.  Why buy something new when you can use something with history for less money?  We do end up gravitating to a lot of the same things. You know what they say about great minds....😁 

I’ve been working on a trail system in the woods near the house. Saturday morning it was nearly impossible to even walk through. Now, you can take a leisurely stroll. I wanted to make a trail for deer to use among other things and was careful to only remove the invasive bush honeysuckle that chokes off a lot of wooded areas here and leave any real trees.  

47C9F5E9-7782-45B0-91E7-55088A1B8D50.jpeg

3FA16114-A584-4418-A977-B36481A470F8.jpeg

Nice job!  I know skid steers and bulldozers are good at lots of more important jobs, but I've gotten more enjoyment out of building roads and trails in the woods with my dozer than anything else I've used it for. 

Took these the other night walking to the barn, thinking how much I enjoy my "roads."

20220513_202349.jpg

20220513_202527.jpg

• Like 6

On the way to my monthly Dr. appointment, we drive by this place that has a sign in front: OLD JUNK FOR SALE.  And that pretty much describes most of it. A huge assortment of 1960's and 1970's motorcycles, mostly Yamaha and Kawasaki. A bunch of old horse or mule drawn farm equipment. And a whole lot of milk cans, stainless steel fire extinguishers and 5 gallon Jerry gas cans.

But the most interesting thing to me is this old International pickup. We pulled over to the side of the road and my wife took some pics of it. On the side of the hood, it had a emblem that said KB-3. Could somebody explain to me what size of truck they were in relation to the number? l know a KB-8 was a "big truck". Was the KB-3 a 1/2 ton?

There was also a old car next to it and l think it is a old Hudson. The only pic she got of it was a close-up of the hood emblem.

image.thumb.png.1313c043939e14c6a066a5bead93067a.png

image.thumb.png.d5a07ea254fb38afa81131a0413b27ae.png

image.thumb.png.67a70bf460b135dda54b3ff60339cf7c.png

image.thumb.png.cd8702f7a80130637e7a1a4323e3ad3f.png

• Like 4

I think the KB-3 was considered a one ton. Could be some one with more knowledge can confirm this.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

The hood ornament looks like a Nash on that car.

l think you're right hammer. After you said that l did a search and now l can faintly see the Nash "badge" inside the emblem. Here is a pic of one in better shape.

image.png.2c20f5058014b2a10b16b02a77f8d6d2.png

• Like 3

9 hours ago, twostepn2001 said:

On the side of the hood, it had a emblem that said KB-3. Could somebody explain to me what size of truck they were in relation to the number? l know a KB-8 was a "big truck". Was the KB-3 a 1/2 ton?

KB-3 1941-1947 is considered 1-ton, 6650 lb GVW Curb weight of 3739 lb

Powered with a Green Diamond GRD-214

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2