IH Tractors on Montana Farm

Old Binder Guy

34 minutes ago, Art From Coleman said:

I could NOT have been more wrong, could I?

Join the club, Art. I usually have my neck out a half mile and end up getting egg all over my face. But, nothing ventured, nothing gained.  Gary🙃

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 12_Guy said:

Gary, your description of the two is of course very accurate. 

I will try to describe how the horsepower is calculated. I hope my description is as accurate as yours are.

Horsepower of a shaft is a function of the torque and speed of the shaft. Speed is of course RPM. Torque is expressed as foot-pounds or pound-feet. Either way you express the torque value, it is a measure of weight and distance. There is a formula that escapes me at the moment for horsepower. The Prony brake measures the RPM and weight. The length is fixed as the length of the bar that applies the torque produced by the brake to the scale. The brake is a constricting band type brake that acts on a spinning drum. I don't recall who figured out that the formula could be simplified by making the bar a specific length. That length is 63" from the center of the shaft to the end of the bar where it contacts the scales. This makes the formula HP=weight in pounds x RPM / 1000. The measurements are normally recorded at several weight and RPM points and then calculated. As the weight (torque) increases the RPM will decrease. You get different HP at different speeds and torques. 

I started building a half scale brake several years ago with a 24" pulley for the brake drum. It's arm or bar will be 31.5" long. The formula remains the same except you divide the product by 2000 instead. Unfortunately the pulley was not very balanced and had a couple of flat spots that would not work well as a brake drum. 

I hope this makes sense and is helpful. Most of my information comes from Bruce Babcock and Jerry Christensen. Both of these fellas have built, operated and written about Prony brakes extensively. Both are great guys who are willing to discuss them. I thank them both. I am currently still searching for a suitable large pulley for mine. 

12_Guy I've "known" Bruce Babcock for decades, thanks to this computer and ones before this one.. He is one sharp individual. I've communicated with Jerry Christensen some too. You are quoting fine individuals. Gary😉

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mike H said:

just wondering if any of you ''steam guys'' could use some mobil 600w-super-cyl-oil.

our son has some he needs moved out of the shop in Mn.

Mike

Mike H, If I lived closer, I'd maybe be interested, but Roger lives closer and likely knows someone who could use it? I do have quite a bit of 600W cylinder oil on hand at Silver Creek. I have what I'll call a lifetime supply. Now, son Mike may not have a lifetime supply? Gary😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/14/2022 at 11:48 PM, Old Binder Guy said:

Thanks for joining us old codgers.

Thanks for having me! Talking of wagons, I had a Springfield ages ago. It was a good old wagon, but it had steel-rimmed wheels and I wanted rubber ones. So I swapped it off for an old Weber that had been retro-fitted with rims and tires off of what I can only assume was an A-model Ford or similar. Sorry to say, no pictures of it. I started out my farming career with three old horses. If you'd like, I'll try to find some photos of them and share them with you. Used to get a lot of funny looks from people 15 years ago; not a lot of people plowing with horses in this area anymore!

Mac

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, MacAR said:

Used to get a lot of funny looks from people 15 years ago; not a lot of people plowing with horses in this area anymore!

WOW,, 2007.

My Mom's Dad farmed with horses until he passed away in 1957-58.

And, one of my Dad's brothers still was using horses/mules for some jobs until the early-mid 50's.

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, Art From Coleman said:

WOW,, 2007.

Yea, pretty recently. I kept a team up until about 2018 and then sold them as they weren't getting a lot of use and it just wasn't fair to them to stand around. Well, that and the feed bill. I grew up around having horses and mules; grandad never owned a tractor and he died in 2019. He traded a lot, but the last team we had (Prince and Duke) was a pair of full brothers I raised from a mare he gave me when I was a boy. Good team of horses, for sure, and I was sad to see them go. But, it was for the best in the end. The guy that has them regularly goes on wagon rides and sure does enjoy working them.

I hope no one minds, I found a couple pictures of them and thought I'd share: 

642358963_HorsesHarrowing.thumb.jpg.6977c38d4ba8e09296e1a2616a431e86.jpg

The harrow cart I built out of an old walking cultivator and some scrap metal, with a seat of a 9N Ford tractor. It sure beat eating dust behind the harrows.

1163677025_HorsesDisking.thumb.jpg.14e8fffd8ae6acce25f6ee06fe74c2c9.jpg

This disk I repurposed as well. It was a 5' tractor disk, and I welded a bracket on the front to hold the tailwheel off an old bush-hog and bolted an old rake seat to the frame. I spent a lot of hours on it behind the boys.

And another I found, for all the cotton people on here: 

1803323660_PickingCotton.thumb.jpg.cb4cfae045ba57ee308bd52f06963e25.jpg

We planted this little jag of cotton "just because" one year (I forget exactly when) and my wife wound up spinning a lot of it into yarn. It was fun to play with, though. I've not grown any since then, but I'm considering putting in another little patch of it for her. Unfortunately, seed has been very hard to come by since this was done. Would anyone (meaning Anson 😉) know where I could buy a couple pounds of de-linted seed? 

Anyhow, sorry for my rambling, and I hope you all enjoy.

Mac

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, MacAR said:

where I could buy a couple pounds of de-linted seed?

l have a pound or so of cotton seed you can have if you'll pay the postage on it. l don't know what variety it is. My stepson helped one of his friend's clean out a planter last spring and brought it to me. Send me a PM and we can work out the details.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Please consider the boll weevil eradication program, we growers spend a lot of money on that program. call your county agent to check on it.  You will need to turn the planting in, so it can be monitored.   Fred B

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Fred B said:

You will need to turn the planting in, so it can be monitored.

Can you explain that a little better please? Why would I need to report to anyone that I'm growing a couple 50' rows of cotton? Maybe my coffee hasn't kicked in yet, but I'm confused.

Mac

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MacAR said:

Can you explain that a little better please? Why would I need to report to anyone that I'm growing a couple 50' rows of cotton? Maybe my coffee hasn't kicked in yet, but I'm confused.

Mac

I think it was said in jest.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Art From Coleman said:

You are most likely correct, Art. Now that the coffee has fully kicked in, I see the humor in it! 

I suppose if I'm to raise another crop of cotton, I'll be needing it ginned. There's been an offer from the Booger Creek Gin Co. to do so, but we've not arrived at a method of payment. I'll also need someone to haul it... do you suppose the famous Auto Wagon could handle such a load? 

Mac

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

A page back there was a discussion on Baker Fans and Prony Brake Dynamometers that covered the subject well.  Nearly 40 years ago, I wanted to test belt horsepower and along with a couple friends, put together an outfit to do that.  I took a well used, outdated M&W tractor PTO Dynamometer that was purchased form an implement dealer who had replaced it with one that could handle the higher horsepower of the newer tractors.  There would be no cooling water access at the show grounds so a water/radiator/fan system was used.  Some bearings, jack-shaft and pulley were mounted to a frame and even though it was put together in a rush because it was just before show time, it worked well.  In fact it was used at the show for over 25 years when it was operated by a competent operator but later, abuse and neglect took its toll.   A while back, I figured it was time to get it operational again.  Had I know how bad a shape it was in, I wouldn't have started the project.  The M&W Hydra-Gauge Dynamometer needed an overhaul as it had been run too hot, burnt the oil and wreaked the seals.  Well being this deep into the project, I figured the whole outfit should be rebuilt to a higher standard and improvements made.  One of the major items was to improve the cooling system by directly cooling the oil with a large industrial heat exchanger and fan.  This also added over 8 gallons of hydraulic oil to the operating system making it nearly 40 gallons.  The frame was rebuilt along with the jack-shaft/pulley drive set-up to make it into a more compact unit.  The outfit was put to the test a few weeks ago and worked out great.  We tested a friends 10-20 Titan along with his 20-30 Oil Pull and both hit their rated horsepower plus.  I think Troy will have to put his McCormick Deering 15-30 on it this spring.  The way that tractor easily handles a 28" thrashing machine, I'm guessing it puts out a lot better than 30HP.  I'm looking forward to also putting my 16-30 Oil Pull and 8-16 International on the Dyno to see what they can do.  It's also great to use the the Dyno as it was originally intended, to help you tune your engine carburetor/timing to get the best results.

revIMG_2835.jpg.4b194da0942ee398080e9cfe57ef0b4d.jpg

revIMG_2833.thumb.jpg.9954d4a1a7d2478db09166e12b07bb68.jpg

revIMG_9128.jpg.d5be9e59801bc8dd8a6c7640490ad750.jpg

revIMG_8567.jpg.72723d81834abbbd77d6ae99f875b3d6.jpg

revIMG_8581.jpg.0e7b0b3bf4c4520ee0a8d6243f19da57.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MacAR said:

You are most likely correct, Art. Now that the coffee has fully kicked in, I see the humor in it! 

I suppose if I'm to raise another crop of cotton, I'll be needing it ginned. There's been an offer from the Booger Creek Gin Co. to do so, but we've not arrived at a method of payment. I'll also need someone to haul it... do you suppose the famous Auto Wagon could handle such a load? 

Mac

Mac, I can handle it at times, after I get the AutoWagon here with the load of melons.

57849864_WatercooledIHCAutoWagonhaulingmelonsnotwatermelons.jpg.1d54dbd41297bb70f78a2925734fd207.jpg

I worry about Anson getting those melons though. He's getting old, I'm told.🙃 We may have to load the AutoWagon and the melons on Grandpa Frank's steamboat Benton to get it here?

182390053_SteamboatBentonatFortBenton_edited-1.jpg.d207110ac80dc10db3526e327075833f.jpg

I hope they would let one of those shallow water packets head down to the Delta? Gary😁

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Old Binder Guy said:

Mac, I can handle it at times, after I get the AutoWagon here with the load of melons.

57849864_WatercooledIHCAutoWagonhaulingmelonsnotwatermelons.jpg.1d54dbd41297bb70f78a2925734fd207.jpg

I worry about Anson getting those melons though. He's getting old, I'm told.🙃 We may have to load the AutoWagon and the melons on Grandpa Frank's steamboat Benton to get it here?

182390053_SteamboatBentonatFortBenton_edited-1.jpg.d207110ac80dc10db3526e327075833f.jpg

I hope they would let one of those shallow water packets head down to the Delta? Gary😁

Well Perfesser, I'm sure the Benton would likely make it down the Mighty Miss, its the rough and narrow White that might cause you some trouble. They used to use smaller packets here, like this one:

0119221858-1.thumb.jpg.e698efff66fa48d4ffbfe0d3cf5853f8.jpg

This is the Ozark Queen, taken around Guion Arkansas at the turn of the last century. About 15 minutes from my house, and some good trout fishing. Perhaps if you could get it that far, I could haul the bales down behind my old 300 Farmall?

Mac

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, MacAR said:

Mac

Regarding the boll weevil comment, it's really not a joke.  If you are growing cotton commercially, the problem is we have the boll weevil that will eat your crop and you will make no money if the boll weevil is allowed to thrive.  Our government has started a Boll Weevil Eradication Program.  It's been going on for the past 40 years.  The grower pays for it.  It's gone as high as $28/acre.  You have to pay that regardless of whether you made a crop.  Whoever planted it has to pay the fee on a per acre basis, unless he is on a share basis, he might talk the landlord into picking up his share.  

He also has to plow it up regardless of whether or not he is farming it for the next year and he must continue to keep the land  non-hostable.  

Anyway, type in 'Boll Weevil Eradication Program' and read that.  I think it's pretty short and it has about everything that pertains to that program.  Our fee here in South Texas Coastal Bend was the highest in the nation when we started.  Now I believe we pay a maintenance fee of $2.00/bale. Today I think the weevil is about 99% eradicated.  Keep in mind this is a goverment run program, they don't know what the idea (lets try to keep the cost down) means.        Fred.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hey Art, I don't think he was kidding....

Fred, I'll look into this program. But I'm about 98% sure our county agent will laugh me out of his office when I tell him what I'm doing. There's been no cotton here (or within a 200 mile radius) since the 1960's, and I can't imagine that the State Plant Board would give a hoot about some guy planting a pound of cotton seed. Of course, I may be completely wrong. I was once, long ago, though what I was wrong about escapes me and no one has ever told me different since*.

Mac 

*If you believe that last part, I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you... 🤣

• Like 3

Well here if we have one cotton plant left in the field we are told to go and make it non hostable ( destroy it). usually there are many. and if not taken care of timely, you will be fined, with all other related fees.  As I under stand it if a state has no history of growing cotton, it's illegal to plant cotton in that state. You can see our goverment is serious about this. I would think if a county agent is not doing his job, no one is going to find humor in the situation. I'm not humorless, but when it cost me money, that 's when I become humorless. I, am not going to report anyone, but I would expect someone   to do the right thing.                       Fred B

• Thanks 1

I sure enjoy seeing all of the posts on here, I have been limiting my time on facebook to once a day for about 15 minutes. I have been spending more time on here and on smokstak, reading and learning about things that actually pertain to my hobbies and interests. So Thank you everyone, I will post some updates later on my Oliver 70 project. 

Troy

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 1/7/2022 at 2:55 PM, Old Binder Guy said:

twostepn2001, as a kid I was at uncle Fritz's house with Dad and his brothers. After dinner (noontime in Montana) the guys all went to work. Before I left the house I remember how when Uncle Fritz chawed off a corner of his Spark Plug chawin' terbaccy, it looked so delicious (like a Hershey bar), that I had to try a small corner. I went outside, turning white, then green. I walked over behind the cook car and was talking to that Sergeant we used to watch on TV. His name was Sergeant O'Rourke. I was hollering HIS name. "O'Rourke, O'Rourke." He never answered me though. 

When I was probably 11 or 12 I was stacking hay bales on the wagon with my dad when he offered me my first RedMan. I of course was always trying to prove that I was grown so I accepted. It was a sunny day, hotter than ****. I did ok for a few minutes, but it wasn't long until I was sitting on the edge of the wagon with my head hanging. Dad says "You doing ok? You dont look so good." "I'm fine" I told him between gags. He was laughing under his breath for the rest of the day.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I guess it’s a good thing when I grew my 10-12 cotton plants a few years ago that I pulled up the plants and burned them afterwards. Not sure if Illinois ever had any commercial cotton or not but I’m betting mine was the biggest crop around that year. If that makes me an outlaw, I guess I’ll just worry about it later.  It was fun to grow.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Friend of mine went to Olney, Texas yesterday and picked up his new Airtractor ag plane. l think it's a model #602. He said costs was almost $1.7 million. He ordered it first the week in December and he got to watch the very first test flight of it last week. His first flight in it wasn't very long, only about 70 miles from Olney to his home near Decatur, Texas.

May be an image of airplane and outdoors

May be an image of 2 people, people standing, aircraft and outdoors

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, twostepn2001 said:

Friend of mine went to Olney, Texas yesterday and picked up his new Airtractor ag plane. l think it's a model #602. He said costs was almost $1.7 million. He ordered it first the week in December and he got to watch the very first test flight of it last week. His first flight in it wasn't very long, only about 70 miles from Olney to his home near Decatur, Texas.

I will ask that my friend in Paradise, TX keep an eye out for it. 😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, twostepn2001 said:

Second pic makes it look a lot larger than the first one. I suppose they come in various sizes like anything else?  Anyhow, I bet the man in the picture isn’t 4’ tall the way it looks 😊

• Haha 1