IH Tractors on Montana Farm

Old Binder Guy

On 7/4/2021 at 12:37 PM, twostepn2001 said:

Watch out down there Anson!!!

May be an image of text that says 'Mississippi Mosquito'

You musta taken that picture in my back yard TwoStep????

Fred--

Watermelon, cotton, corn or what have you-------all crops and all growers are at the mercy of the weather.  Sometimes it's hard to figure whether the weatherman is friend or foe????.?

Always liked Milo.

What shape is the cotton crop down that way.  We are a full 30 days late.  Corn and soybeans looking good here locally-------but too much rain not far north of me.

DD

• Like 3

Russ Hamm posted this over on SmokStak and I thought you guys would find it interesting.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Fred-----(watermelon weed control)

The commercial growers roll out black plastic and  trickle irrigation-----don't figure you nor myself want to go that route.

Grass and weeds were swamping me until I put together a hood for my spray wand with flat tip.  BINGO

I mixed equivalent to 1/2 pt Gramoxone plus surfactant and sprayed at low pressure with the hood almost dragging the ground as a post emerge in all age melons  No crop damage.

Made the hood out of two 99 cent dust pans------used it almost like a paint brush weaving in and around the vines.

I also covered the seedling plants with small cups-------and broadcast gramoxone with the 4 wheeler just as the plants got fully emerged.   Gave me a clean start.

Growing watermelons, cantaloupe, okra, cucumbers, all seemed safe using the hood.  Corn also was safe spraying at the base and avoiding the stalk.

Best to spray a small sample area and see what you've got------you will see any burn/wilt damage within 12 hrs.

Warning:  legume plants such as beans and peas and most probably tomatoes are very susceptible to vapors off of Gramoxone ----AVOID

20170602_193512.thumb.jpg.0576f27c74e24ee52d2cbc829244d231.jpg

20170521_084325.thumb.jpg.b68152c2575e4995ed34290ddf762a17.jpg

20170503_123523.thumb.jpg.7c1b27f4f087dccde40873fc34ba524d.jpg

20170506_104252.thumb.jpg.532669faf5bed3b7182521ebb97246d5.jpg

20170602_193601.thumb.jpg.88299f7a705f053e27a34c2df250591d.jpg

I figured there had to be something to out run the hoe.  A hoe just never quite fit my hand!!!!?

Don't give up-----probably need to build a real tall row and till in some straw mulch/gin trash on your clay soils for drainage????

Have fun!!?

DD

20170506_104252.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Other than eating them, I don't know one heck of a lot about melons, Fred. It's interesting how they are raised, to this former Montana dirt farmer. I do remember hearing about a half century ago, a truck driver who delivered them to stores, relating how you had to have an "oopsie-daisy" where you dropped one and it split open. Then you HAD to eat the inner core! But I keep dreaming of that IHC AutoWagon pulling into Silver Creek, Anson shaking hands of introduction and saying, I'm going to walk up to the highway and catch my ride back to Avon. I was kind of confused as Avon is only about 30-40 miles away. Then he said, Avon, Mississippi, Professor. Gary?

1983870203_WatercooledIHCAutoWagonhaulingmelonsnotwatermelons.jpg.deb86d88fb6182fccaa9126827d76fcf.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Several weeks ago l posted a pic of a oil tank thief and gauge line. This morning l found a scan l did a bunch of years ago to update my set of tank charts. The common tanks we dealt with was 15 ft. tall 210 barrel, 15 ft. tall 300 Bbl tank, 20 ft. tall 400 Bbl tank and 16 ft. tall 500 Bbl tanks. And there was differences between bolted together 500 Bbl and welded 500 Bbl tanks so we had to have a chart for each one. The older bolted tanks would eventually stretch and bulge some. At least enough to hold a just bit more oil. And when oil was a $100.00 + a Bbl, the lease operators would throw a fit if they thought you was going to screw them out of a barrel or two.

001.jpg

• Like 3

On those watermelons, I bought a whole packet of seed at Tractor Supply, so I really wasn't going commercial. ? I know about planting in plastic mulch.   Some years ago I went to a sale in Premont, TX where they sold a water wheel transplanter.  It may have been home built.  Premont is about 70 miles SW of me.  They plant irrigated watermelons on plastic mulch.  They use this waterwheel for transplanting seedlings.  The metal wheel was about 3' in diameter and is open on one side.  It has cleats welded around the outside of the wheel.  These cleats punch holes in the plastic mulch causing a divot in the seed bed.  The water has some fertilizer mixed with it.  It is kept at a minimum in the bottom of the trough like wheel so that when the punched hole rotates and comes up the backside the water does not run out.  Then a rider on the back hand punches with his finger a seedling down in the hole so that the roots are imbedded in the mud.  So the plant of course grows off well and no need to weed.  But of course I just planted a packet.  I guess I could have used my rope wick that I made years ago on the weeds, but I forgot that I had it.  

Anson that sure is a nice piece of precision equipment you made there for those fan nozzles.  It looks like your red neck ag machines could be quite a hit with the melon grower.  

I know there are multi row commercial machines made for that purpose.  

Gary, what kind of melons are those on the auto wagon?  I am not familiar with those ribs on them.  Here we have cantaloupe, but they are somewhat smaller. 

Here are a couple links to commercial transplanters:  

https://www.berryhilldrip.com/1670-Series-II-Water-Wheel-Transplanter-Planter.html

https://barndoorag.com/greenleaf-weed-thief-handheld-wick-herbicide-applicator-wt1/?_vsrefdom=adwords&gclid=CjwKCAjw55-HBhAHEiwARMCszsQS738MjD3WB130-V1X7FmsR9zSrEsWeOvhpZWgtuEJqr7FryOg1BoCrPUQAvD_BwE

Someone asked about the rain.  This week we have had a little over 13".  They are saying we are a little more than 2" away from our yearly average of 31".   Rockport, TX, about 70 miles north of us, had a little over 18" this week.  We're not used to these kind of rains.  Here is a shot of our cotton, these are 38" row width, hopefully ready by mid August.  We're a little later this year.  

IMG_3781.thumb.JPG.73063b5b5532828eae31562461819e54.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Here's our watermelon bed.  Same way we've done for several years.  Hills are formed and fertilizer added before we stretch the plastic.  Then roll out 16'x100' plastic.  Then cut holes where the hills are and set plants.  After it all gets rained on a time or two, and the plastic has sort of settled into place, we go through and punch holes in the "ponds" where the water stands.  This way, no pools of standing water to get stagnant, and free simple irrigation. 

We usually figure 5 melons per plant.  Used to be more when we had more pollinators.  I need to get the electric fence up around them today to keep out varmits and watermelon theives!

20210709_193200.jpg

20210709_193205.jpg

20210709_193226.jpg

• Like 4

13 hours ago, TN Hillbilly said:

Here's our watermelon bed.  Same way we've done for several years.  Hills are formed and fertilizer added before we stretch the plastic.  Then roll out 16'x100' plastic.  Then cut holes where the hills are and set plants.  After it all gets rained on a time or two, and the plastic has sort of settled into place, we go through and punch holes in the "ponds" where the water stands.  This way, no pools of standing water to get stagnant, and free simple irrigation. 

We usually figure 5 melons per plant.  Used to be more when we had more pollinators.  I need to get the electric fence up around them today to keep out varmits and watermelon theives!

20210709_193200.jpg

20210709_193205.jpg

20210709_193226.jpg

Hillbilly-----

Do ya'll intermingle the watermelons and cantaloupes within one row??  Looks as if I see cantaloupe plants and watermelon plants together??

Whatever----the rolled out plastic is the way to go.  Looks good-----no weeds.?

Fred----

I would not use Round Up-----it will translocate within the plant from anywhere it makes contact.  Gramoxone is purely a contact type chemical.  I killed off some young soybeans once when I sprayed a heavy dose of R--Up as pre-emergence in some heavy infestation of nut-sedge.  (killed the grass-----and then young soybean roots absorbed Round Up from the heavy grass roots?)

The hooded wand will let you spray close to the ground-----without dripping over top of melons.)

And------neither Gramoxone nor Round-Up are labeled for post garden applications.  But other than suffering from the typical 78 yr old horse that has been rode hard and put up wet all his life-----I show no ill effects from the "experiment.

I sure hope the "cartel" doesn't spot Hillbilly's watermelon patch!!!!??

DD

DD

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Delta Dirt said:

Hillbilly-----

Do ya'll intermingle the watermelons and cantaloupes within one row??  Looks as if I see cantaloupe plants and watermelon plants together??

Whatever----the rolled out plastic is the way to go.  Looks good-----no weeds.?

Fred----

I would not use Round Up-----it will translocate within the plant from anywhere it makes contact.  Gramoxone is purely a contact type chemical.  I killed off some young soybeans once when I sprayed a heavy dose of R--Up as pre-emergence in some heavy infestation of nut-sedge.  (killed the grass-----and then young soybean roots absorbed Round Up from the heavy grass roots?)

The hooded wand will let you spray close to the ground-----without dripping over top of melons.)

And------neither Gramoxone nor Round-Up are labeled for post garden applications.  But other than suffering from the typical 78 yr old horse that has been rode hard and put up wet all his life-----I show no ill effects from the "experiment.

I sure hope the "cartel" doesn't spot Hillbilly's watermelon patch!!!!??

DD

DD

Just one hill of cantaloupes on the end.  Usually they don't do as well as the watermelons, but this year they look really good.  12 or 13 cantaloupe setting on.

• Like 3

Here's a grainy newspaper photo of me operating the rope wick that my brother and I made, some years ago.  The annual county crop tour bus stopped by to watch it work.  It's mounted on a 560 and it takes 8 rows.  Later on I widened it to take 12 rows.  It seemed to do a good job but every once in a while you would come to a patch of solid Johnson Grass and the wicks would get dry, so I rigged up a bicycle pump on the fender and when that would happen, I would reach over and give a few pumps of air into the boom and they would start dripping.  I can't remember ever having dead spots of cotton because they got drips of Roundup on them and this was before Roundup ready cotton.  So we never had a problem with killing the cotton plants that I can remember.  Apparently at least Johnson grass likes to be rubbed a little bit with the wicks, contaning the Roundup, in fact, some were saying that waxy plants should be serrated a little to make the Roundup enter.   As far as the little weed wiper goes, of course the trick would be not to rub your keeper plants.  Anyway, on that little handheld rope wick you would take the knob off the handle and the Roundup is stored in the handle, and then applied with a kind of brushing motion and it seemed to work.  But it still means walking around all those plants.  

One of the problems I had with the hoe is they didn't come with instructions.  ?

1885692275_FredandRopeWick.thumb.jpg.b695d3aa2f662aa88d33cb64a2b1c90e.jpg

• Like 5

I guess I don't know one darn thing? A few photos I've absconded recently.

A railroad flatcar load of double stacked McCormick Deering tractors. I think they must be 10-20s?

2117380592_McCormickDeeringIHCtractorsloadedsidebysideonrailroadRRflatcars.jpg.8f1c4fc1ce29c26060a85a32c5b28553.jpg

This man and wife are getting ready to spray their pecans in Texas.

995748882_NelsonfamilysprayingpecansinErathcountyStephenvilleTexasIHCFarmallF-12.thumb.jpg.5540e1801fb31bb340a6568c531153cc.jpg

This is especially for Anson! A brand spanking new McCormick-Deering Farmall Regular, with fresh paint.

1295723108_BrandnewIHCMcCormick-DeeringFarmallRegular.jpg.14e9be4ac7b77aa4dda8b26449ad30f9.jpg

I always loved seeing amazed boys around steam engines. This 25 hp Reeves is getting fired up to break sod and crush. Young boys with any interest at all need mentoring by us old duffers who've done there and been that. We need to perpetuate our old iron!

1230067768_25hpReevesengineplowingcrushingDavidfuller.thumb.jpg.caf5a338e5d33fc78c5bdc46dff207ac.jpg

Here is an old, old tractor. An early wooden wheel Aultman-Taylor steam engine threshing. The whole crew and family got into the photo!

864373364_WoodenWheelAultmanTaylorenginethreshingDavidFullerIH.thumb.jpg.89a5b225b9f3c2892fbad026b5cde77b.jpg

A White Motor Company truck was adapted to convert a horse drawn steam powered pumper fire engine.

460336223_WhiteMotorCompanyTruckconversionforhorsepulledsteampumperfireengineladderIH.jpg.1b82a99abc5c618abb91578718ba8595.jpg

This is a Packard Truck in the city of Detroit.

108095587_PackardMotorTruckDavidFullerIH.thumb.jpg.b7b8bf8fb101daaa05518123d3612cd0.jpg

This is a Montana Packard truck and I'm at the steering wheel of the late Carl Mehmke's truck at the Mehmke Museum a few years back. It was fun to drive!

226149480_PackardTruckmeatwheel8-27-16red.thumb.jpg.fa4b9f5e4953a8314a516adeff7f7ad9.jpg

Here's a Mack truck hauling somebody's "Racer" car.

1512968787_MackhardrubbertiretruckwitharacercarontheflatbedIH.jpg.47eb2d457d2777faf8ed05ad3e3d49fa.jpg

I had to insert this photo of the old 1926 Model T Coupe I bought for $15 when I was 10 years old. Mike got it up front so I could get it out of the shop recently. I dusted it, checked the liquids, aired up the tires to 65 psi and promptly took it for a drive! (No, it didn't look like this when I bought it!)

534001765_1926ModelTCoupedustedtiresinflatedto657-1-2021.thumb.jpg.12b629c623a452f8a05b0864405e0c0e.jpg

I thought this load of grain was interesting. West Wyalong District, New South Wales in 1923 states 'A record wheat load; 407 bags 32 tons net. 15 horses pulled it.

1909370605_WestWyalongDistrictNewSouthWalesin1923statesArecordwheatload407bags32tonsnetIH.jpg.6e65864b18501166bfcdaa15836c5aef.jpg

Here are a couple of moonshiners in the early 1950s, guarding their still. I notice the bear trap isn't set.

1483948503_Twomoonshinersguardingtheirwhiskeystillin1954beartrapandriflesIH.jpg.e9a4cf408bc2382ae648474b48da8bd7.jpg

Porches used to convey tranquility in the old days. I miss them.

1558370988_WomansittingonporchsimplehomeandsimplelifeIH.thumb.jpg.f439b004c89cf7e1c5b9bb68ae8cd920.jpg

I liked this old photo of an elderly lady in Appalachia drawing water from their hand dug well. I've only gotten to do this style of filling a bucket with water once in my life, when I was a freshman in high school at Moore, or Eddies Corner.

416978433_WomandrawingwateroutofhanddugropeandhandcrankwellinApplachiaIH.thumb.jpg.b322b789b0076abbf904296b6d68d2b7.jpg

Last but not least is this photo of cowboys bathing in a water hole after a three month cattle drive. Gary?

1185117548_CowboysbathingafterthreemonthscattledriveIH.jpg.43242a9115d51bbbe89f8bb6c1e205c9.jpg

PS: Thanks for our Admin for fixing our photo downloading (or is this uploading?) system!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Old Binder Guy said:

Here are a couple of moonshiners in the early 1950s, guarding their ........

1483948503_Twomoonshinersguardingtheirwhiskeystillin1954beartrapandriflesIH.jpg.e9a4cf408bc2382ae648474b48da8bd7.jpg

The whiskey still could have been somewhere here in close vicinity to me.  Used to see them everywhere when I wuz a kid.  But the operators didn't keep everything quite as well kept as da gentlemens in da picther!!!

One of my dad's old "aces" Fred had borrowed a small L-P tank from my dad from a 8N Ford that had burned.  Then one day a couple of deputies and the local constable came driving up laughing and telling my dad that Fred insisted on carrying Mistuh Anson's tank back to him before going on to jail with them------as they pulled it out of the trunk of one of the cars and tossed it under a tree.  I seriously doubt that they had handcuffs on Fred-------he was a "regular customer" with them.?

I reckon country whiskey stills are a thing of the past now-------and street drugs are filling that gap??

DD

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Fred B said:

It's mounted on a 560 and it takes 8 rows.

Fred, the first thing l noticed in that pic (well, besides your mugshot...?) is that buggy top shade on the 560. Dad had one just like it on all the tractors he used. Guess they were the cab/AC of those days.

• Like 4

Yeah, I remember the first one my dad brought home from the corpus IH place, dad stoped,  at my brother w/ the farmall M and they installed it. We allways had the 4 cornered umberllas  and had to tie the corneres down with baling wire.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, twostepn2001 said:

Fred, the first thing l noticed in that pic (well, besides your mugshot...?) is that buggy top shade on the 560. Dad had one just like it on all the tractors he used. Guess they were the cab/AC of those days.

twostepn2001, Here is the International 660 I used to have with its buggy top. Son Mike pulling a Shaffer one way plow with it. Also notice his "stereo" headset radio. Gary?

PS: with the old photo setup, you clicked on the "x" to put the photo where you wanted it. Now, when you click on the "x" the photo goes away and you have to download (or is it upload?) it again. I'll have to learn to  retrain myself for sure.

1846044778_IH660SchafferplowMikeca1978imp.thumb.jpg.5cd95813e83a22cbc30d9794370fb30a.jpg

1610990797_Mikeplowingwith660IHca1976.thumb.jpg.4fbfe3f2eb2c347878e7df9fa148f011.jpg

• Like 6

Our first buggy tops were on 8N Fords------one if them probably burned on the 8N Fred got his distillery fuel tank from.  (Fred wuz a dozer operator------not into cutting firewood).  This Fred should in no way be confused with Fred B. from Corpus Christie!!!!

I still have two red IH "four corner" umbrellas in my old shop------not the best shape in the world, but they are red.  They could be bought very reasonable (along with alot of other clutter)------some of ya'll need to come see me.  I am running out of time fast------not much family interest in the rusty/dusty stuff since I lost my son (Reb) last year.

Problem is-----I am physically no longer able to pack and ship.  (Hammer's forge is still on back order for shipping)?.  Things need to be picked up------gotta do some clean up work before I catch the train outta here. 

Maybe Hammer and Hammer Jr need to ride off down this way when it cools off some this fall?

DD

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Delta Dirt said:

Maybe Hammer and Hammer Jr need to ride off down this way when it cools off some this fall?

DD

Might have to check into that DD.

• Like 2

Some free advice to anyone thinking of getting into appraisal work------(coming straight from the "horse/mule's mouth"!!!!)?

20190223_231418.thumb.jpg.85d2b19134d4e9fab26446cfc2f652cd.jpg

Just ran across this picture and got a good laugh from it.  Kept it hanging on my office wall for years as a reminder of what life was all about.

And------(for any youngsters out there); this profound statement applies in some way to most all professions.  Keep it in mind as the calendar moves forward.

I know the Professor doesn't like horse/mule content posted here on this scrap iron thread-----but then he will be the first one talking about how much "horsepower" one of those big huffing and puffing steam engines is putting out.??

DD

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

On 7/15/2021 at 8:05 AM, Delta Dirt said:

Some free advice to anyone thinking of getting into appraisal work------(coming straight from the "horse/mule's mouth"!!!!)?

20190223_231418.thumb.jpg.85d2b19134d4e9fab26446cfc2f652cd.jpg

Just ran across this picture and got a good laugh from it.  Kept it hanging on my office wall for years as a reminder of what life was all about.

And------(for any youngsters out there); this profound statement applies in some way to most all professions.  Keep it in mind as the calendar moves forward.

I know the Professor doesn't like horse/mule content posted here on this scrap iron thread-----but then he will be the first one talking about how much "horsepower" one of those big huffing and puffing steam engines is putting out.??

DD

Anson, Don't put words in the professor's mouth. Don't forget the famous words of my dad's Crupper!

107935874_KruperCruperAnyHorsesashouldknowthat.jpg.2de31a90761050f80ec2042a5dd17d79.jpg

1369435458_manwithmulesandwagonSellingwatermelonsonSaturdaysinJacksonKentuckySeptember1940IHAnson.thumb.jpg.7ce46e43519c394c95164d3f4bba7657.jpg

699507494_Arkansas1930smulemanlogcabinlanternAnsonIH.jpg.1e99f8d67099389ab1377252a228aa4c.jpg

1289117804_FarmerandhismulesinharnesscultivatingorplowingAnson.jpg.05f34bd81ca0adb220bb0c5efd087ac8.jpg

1511588922_BaileyCountyFarmerwithMulein1915plowingbreakingsodplowingawildlifetrailunder.jpg.63b4ecdf187f28ee0a948f86ff634873.jpg

1191561004_Youngfarmerpullingwalkingplowwithhismule1937IH.jpg.965d7725ee5b7da36b00fc5dd1959cf2.jpg

1926155370_BlackmanmuleteamandSouthernIcewagoninDallasTexasIH.jpg.7f623314679eb1a5ff0504270903c60b.jpg

1597450863_Twenty20MuleTeamDeathValleyCalifornia.thumb.jpg.acad158e5a8e13732287fcc217e8f482.jpg

218857652_VirginiaCityMulejerklinefreighterVanBurenSt_1866.thumb.jpg.efaf3bddd078ba149c9b1ea7caba1d43.jpg

951198003_26muleteampullingacombinedharvesteringrainfieldebay.jpg.06222145be0f6c21fe1b1d7b160e4bf5.jpg

1216342887_AmulepulledtrolleyinGalvestonTexas1885.jpg.eb0989558b7c4f9f4fb8dc6f83225503.jpg

1840644976_Threemenahorseormuleandbuggy.thumb.jpg.43abaa0bcdfe2b9e82883dffb51f5fb4.jpg

266409164_Four4muleteampulledbindersinNorthDakotacuttinggrainGaryGarman.jpg.3e3cc547d1f774409a5f4b0446762824.jpg

1821926207_20MuleTrainandwagonsoutofDeathValleyEllenCockrell.jpg.0b3101c5f3b3e93a2f7fa99c2d70b5fb.jpg

253531939_MainStreetHelenaLastChanceGulchwagonmuletrainfreighterin1870imp_edited-1.jpg.7f85d83e2558bd806385a09dc3b98b00.jpg

124560408_MuleinharnesssingletreepullingthreegirlsinbuggyinTexasBettyMooney.jpg.954963bdc58988640dd616f1377bfcbb.jpg

972253489_HelenaMontana1870sMuleFreighteronMainedited-1imp_edited-1.thumb.jpg.21aa94bb128e57e4657d4f7b0ba0453d.jpg

1650571021_FortBentonMontanamuletrainatTCPowerBro.circa1880.jpg.9d379d4dcab2943c9fae66ccfe6f7160.jpg

1136173600_MulepulledscraperworkingonGreatFallstoLewistownMilwaukeeRRmaybepickhandleburkeimp_edited-1.jpg.dfa65e8e9107a600689fe3ace6f38b35.jpg

408869307_ModelTTFordmuleTeamWagonRumelyOilpullebay.jpg.c75bc24e793857a8cad496430e55d866.jpg

764028115_MuleTrainmovinglumberebay_edited-1.thumb.jpg.99c1674b9f2b51426feffb57ad03a270.jpg

69773558_40mulehitchharnessedtocombinedharvesterBarryThornberry.jpg.6505aa152ee2156bb029796491386920.jpg

1520486805_MulepowerhaulingLosAngelesAquaductimp.jpg.09bd8ce6482bd483e7989f564688d24a.jpg119782468_IowaApplesonhayrackbundlewagonexageratedmuleteaminharness.thumb.jpg.b70ebd45b418b25827e5e2810d86b4fa.jpg

505802571_Muleorhorsesrearendbuttassdrawing.jpg.677f10e0c9a5e774c36c7cf365ab9fb6.jpg

I don't have a thing against mules although I've never worked with them. And I like horses. I just have more photos of IH Tractors on a Montana Farm!  Gary?

Mike finished mowing hay with Johnny the F-12 Wednesday.

804674560_IHCF-12FarmallJohnnydonehayingrearmower7-15-2021.thumb.jpg.a67f825db7ee42296e329b8c6c76596b.jpg

Mike finished raking hay with Annie the Farmall H yesterday.

1274035021_MikeIHFarmallHAnnieMcCormickdumprake.thumb.jpg.5df7a94bdba95865a3b81bd63100cff5.jpg

And he's dismounting Annie, parked nose to nose with Toot the Farmall M.

105363963_MikeDismountingIHFarmallHAnnieafterraking7-15-2021.thumb.jpg.0dde07374cbcff66bbeb62491042889e.jpg

• Like 4