IH Tractors on Montana Farm

Old Binder Guy

16 minutes ago, Roger Byrne said:

I've had issues viewing this thread for over 3 weeks.  Most of the time I just hit the "re-fresh" icon and it pops right up.  I'm on a desktop computer with Window 10 and have posted without any problems.

Anson, I heard there's been a lot of rain down there and that these photos were taken just outside Avon, MS . . . . bs.gif.2b3abdd7d37a986b30cdd9334bcfb32b.gif

F4A5503B-4E07-40A0-9E11-0137A442A92D.thumb.jpeg.c020b729f72872076942faec5aff7224.jpeg

stuck.jpg.2286fe60278f649d7f3a01201779c4e7.jpg

Mr. Byrne, sir,

I do not believe they have any ridges that high in the Delta.  But I could be wrong.

If only we had a surveyor with knowledge of that area to assist us...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Roger Byrne said:

I've had issues viewing this thread for over 3 weeks.  Most of the time I just hit the "re-fresh" icon and it pops right up.  I'm on a desktop computer with Window 10 and have posted without any problems.

Anson, I heard there's been a lot of rain down there and that these photos were taken just outside Avon, MS . . . . bs.gif.2b3abdd7d37a986b30cdd9334bcfb32b.gif

F4A5503B-4E07-40A0-9E11-0137A442A92D.thumb.jpeg.c020b729f72872076942faec5aff7224.jpeg

stuck.jpg.2286fe60278f649d7f3a01201779c4e7.jpg

I see that 15-30 Rumely Oilpull has a US Army sign on the front of it, Roger. This so well reminds me of US Army Basic Training exactly 60 years ago for me. This rang loudly in my ears. "There's the RIGHT way, the WRONG way, and the ARMY way," of getting that tractor out of that bog. Gary???

• Haha 1

You know, I heard there was a guy around that Avon area that was considered knowledgeable about the land in that part of the country . . . I'm guessing he MAY have a comment or two to make on the subject.  smily_ROTFL.gif.1f51e453ff97ae7f24df0365df2e45ea.gif

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Roger Byrne said:

...same here.........(.My deleted comment was meant to be dripping with sarcasm..........but upon reading it....it could have construed   otherwise...by non NZer's....Another issue with the printed  media.....as opposed to speaking face to face,.....:blush::blush:..)

Mike

...I am, of course , joking about the content......this thread has provided us with a bountiful array of history...long may the thread continue......

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, TN Hillbilly said:

Mr. Byrne, sir,

I do not believe they have any ridges that high in the Delta.  But I could be wrong.

If only we had a surveyor with knowledge of that area to assist us...

Roger-----

Ol' Hillbilly might be from Tennessee-------but he knows his geography alright!!!?

I really don't know quite as much about Land as I do DIRT..  But regardless of whether this is Dirt or Land in your two pictures-------those ol' boys appear to have their butts stuck in some deep a$$ Mud!!!!

Worth noting from the first picture:  in the old days, the houses were built right adjacent to the wagon trail or roads for easy access.  My mother's old house (where I live) was originally built back in the 1920's right along 'Possum Ridge Rd.  As the house was remodeled and roads improved------my dad had the road changed through the county so to cut the "fast traffic" from near side swiping the north side of the house.

Very few of the county roads (or country churches and cemeteries) in the Delta actually have a right of way or ownership deed.  So-----they are basically at the will of the landowner.  We also had a black church sitting out back------Wrangler's barn occupies the old church site now.

My surveying knowledge is limited to looking to see which direction the water is flowing-------unless something has changed recently------most of the time the water runs downhill.  If the surveyor says otherwise------bet on the water!!!!

Re:  crops and rain here locally

Ironically-------our local area has missed most of those heavy rains of the past couple of weeks.  Our crops look good.  Lots of damage 20+ miles north/northwest of us.

(no problems making this post)

DD

• Like 6

14 hours ago, Old Binder Guy said:

Mike, your T-20 has wider pads than mine had. What implement are you pulling there that is stirring up the ground? This is the only photo I have of my T-20. My cousin bought it at my auction sale and it is in his barn lean to.

1482562266_T-2020NS16Russellimp.thumb.jpg.f0356b4f6b673bed3237f7d4634a28e5.jpg

Caterpillar may have had troubles with their's getting stuck on the same substance? This is a picture of a Caterpillar Low Ten and a Caterpillar High Ten. Obviously they had the same problem with the Low Ten? Gary?

Hi Ten, Low 10 Caterpillars Tyler B&W.jpg

Gary.....that old T20 is pulling , what we call ""Bush   and Bog  Discs"...Those discs were 4   aside , with 24 inch blades..Very popular for breaking in hill country..or anything with scrub, small bushes   tree's etc

The old T20 had 12inch   grouser's... I used to be an Agricultural contractor...then worked for an Ag contractor, and caught the big move to Dairy Farming.. A lot of these places wer e  owned by Corperates...with a man in a suit and soft shoes giving the orders...Pivot irrigation  meant mature tree and hedge rows were pulled out...I had a little 3 ton Toyota truck..on which I pulled a heck of a lot of old stuff home...otherwise it had to be buried...

I have four and a half  (!!) T20's..in varius stages of decay....these days I give a lot of old IH stuff away...providing the recipient of the "old stuff " is going to meanfully use it... Some of the T20's are narrow gauge , with ten inch plates.Two still go !!

Enclose picture of my old D6B with  6  aside 30 inch blades bush and bog discs...and one of the Toyota bring ing old stuff home.  I informed my wife , that my final mission in this life was to keep American Steel from being turned into Chinese crap..hence I have a slew of old stuff !!!

Mike

post-157-1158653920  t20  tobacco.jpg

post-157-1222331954.jpg

post-157-1208515319.jpg

post-157-1226737537.jpg

post-157-127084531188.jpg

post-157-1239617531.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

image.jpeg.b420faa04b6754bf0b7d2081f64bdabf.jpegThat “bush and big disc” sure does burry stuff well by the looks of things. Sure didn’t see crawler type machines farming around here. Everything was “row crop” tractors after horses as best I can tell. I’ve never heard of anyone having “standard” tractor either. Must just be a regional thing based on terrain and crop type. 

• Like 3

Mike Newman, Thanks so much for posting those great photos from your New Zealand and that equipment. This is how we learn! I certainly appreciate you protecting those pieces of IH equipment from going to China! Plus it looks like you also know how to have fun with them! Gary?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

image.jpeg.b420faa04b6754bf0b7d2081f64bdabf.jpegThat “bush and big disc” sure does burry stuff well by the looks of things. Sure didn’t see crawler type machines farming around here. Everything was “row crop” tractors after horses as best I can tell. I’ve never heard of anyone having “standard” tractor either. Must just be a regional thing based on terrain and crop type. 

Todd.....its the hills  here that determined   the tractor type...In our local area, the apple orchards , (for example )had to have early Crawlers   to pull the sprayers around  the slopes..now its all chunky, high HP 4x4  wheel tractors...

The  sheep /beef farmers....hills abound for those blokes.....thus crawler   tractors were the norm....Not all rural New Zealand is like "our " region....but there are hills lurking everywhere...some to steep to farm these days...and , anyway in case you didn't realise.....if we plant pine trees all over our little country....and stop eating meat....and just munch up bits of grass...(because    "They"'  want all the animals gone....)...this will ''save the planet"

I digress

The pic above is frosted tobacco being disced under....

Enclosed is one of few pictures that I have of hill work...a long frame BTD6 discing with offsets...My Brother has more pictures of hill work...try to get him to post them, next time he puts polar bear pics on....

Mike

post-157-1207554253.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Mike Newman,

Your hilly country reminded me of Greg Druffel ("Palouse") who used to post here. I've never heard from him in the past probably five years or more? He farmed the hills in Washington State's Palouse Hills. If any of you know anything about Greg, I'd love to hear. Even if it's bad news. He had been a Facebook friend as well.

I remember asking Greg why they farmed those hills. His answers was, "Because we raise 100 bushel per acre wheat." And peas were another lucrative crop he raised there. Gary?

1034266229_GregDruffel2014.jpg.ff7e222e11ae7f92308ae623ce8f86be.jpg

1084766597_TD-35IHCMcCormickDeeringrodweederGregDruffel.jpg.3d2e0790e62d899c5493c5920b850597.jpg

96481868_GregDruffelwithTD-92farmingPalousesidehill.thumb.jpg.bfccdc2406d95f97836966039b0bd5c1.jpg

230594915_IHCombinesidehillGregDruffel.thumb.jpg.0440738f9801c34760c5d51556e3256f.jpg

Edited by Old Binder Guy
I heard from Greg Druffel. Age 80, living in the home in the Palouse he grew up in.
  • Like 8

I remember him giving us an education on that unique geographical region, I was through there on a motorcycle trip in the mid 90’s before he learned me and I recall the dirt looked like pepper it would just run through your fingers

• Like 3

It's been many years since Greg and I exchanged E-mails.  The last I time we conversed, I think he was living with his daughter.  Later, when I tried to contact him, I no longer got a response.  I do see that he has a FaceBook page that is still current.  https://www.facebook.com/pg/whitmancomemories/posts/     I'm not on FaceBook but maybe one of you guys that are, can try to contact him. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Roger Byrne said:

It's been many years since Greg and I exchanged E-mails.  The last I time we conversed, I think he was living with his daughter.  Later, when I tried to contact him, I no longer got a response.  I do see that he has a FaceBook page that is still current.  https://www.facebook.com/pg/whitmancomemories/posts/     I'm not on FaceBook but maybe one of you guys that are, can try to contact him. 

Thank you for that information, Roger. I was able to locate his daughter through the page above. I sent her a private message asking about Greg. I hope to find out something. Gary

• Like 2

On 6/22/2021 at 3:09 PM, mike newman said:

The pic above is frosted tobacco being disced under

That is one crop I don’t miss raising. I was in a panic almost every year hoping I would get enough help to get it housed. Miraculously I only had some get frosted on one time. We still hung it in the barn. Got it sold, but at a very disappointing price. It cured green and nobody wanted it. The only thing I liked about it was getting to put some old machinery to use raising it. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

That is one crop I don’t miss raising. I was in a panic almost every year hoping I would get enough help to get it housed. Miraculously I only had some get frosted on one time. We still hung it in the barn. Got it sold, but at a very disappointing price. It cured green and nobody wanted it. The only thing I liked about it was getting to put some old machinery to use raising it. 

...just wanted to say,D-F-P, that when that picture of the old T20  was taken, we did have slightly more unmarket    wheel tractor's...just liked to''exersise''  the old tractors, when the time was right.....

And as a tobacco grower, yourself, you obviously realise , at the point of getting frosted....the harvest season was over....

When you say..."we still hung it in the barn"...I guess you grew air dried  "Burley "  tobacco ???

At the peak growing at home , we harvested 80 odd acres, all flu cured useing steam from  a 14 horse power , oil fired boiler, then via large heat exchangers....

Mike

• Like 4

5 hours ago, mike newman said:

...just wanted to say,D-F-P, that when that picture of the old T20  was taken, we did have slightly more unmarket    wheel tractor's...just liked to''exersise''  the old tractors, when the time was right.....

And as a tobacco grower, yourself, you obviously realise , at the point of getting frosted....the harvest season was over....

When you say..."we still hung it in the barn"...I guess you grew air dried  "Burley "  tobacco ???

At the peak growing at home , we harvested 80 odd acres, all flu cured useing steam from  a 14 horse power , oil fired boiler, then via large heat exchangers....

Mike

Yes, we only ever raised Burley tobacco. I don’t have any experience with flue cured. We already had the tobacco cut and on sticks. We thought it would frost the night before we would get done so we put it in piles to try to protect some of it. I can’t say that putting it in piles was really a success, but was the best bad option we could come up with. It was very disappointing to say the least to have the growing season end like that. The most I ever raised was 30 acres of Burley. It yielded just under 100,000 lbs total on the 30 acres. I held on as long as I could, but I don’t know of anyone in this area or possibly the entire state of Missouri  (USA) that still raises it. There are still lots of growers in the southern USA though as I understand it. 

• Like 3

Excuse me:   I took the opportunity to make a post on the old codgers thread while my ol' ranch hand is dozed off and his cell phone wuz laying here handy.

Damm------ would snap a couple of pictures of him (like he does of me) if'n I could figure out which button to punch.

If'n ya'll are out of old tractor and scrap iron stories------we could always talk about Horse power, Mule Power, Oxen power, etc.......   It's all interrelated toward making a crop; delivering the mail or robbing banks.

20210622_162058.thumb.jpg.a1e70a10fd59c7bfcd8ffe9548d868d4.jpg

Wonder why the early tractor folks didn't use the term Mule or Ox power??   I dunno-------reckon "horse" must be more classy than the others??  Horses definitely were a smoother ride and much faster for riding purposes.

20210619_180936.thumb.jpg.c3d004ca45d5fd8b1f13c0d0cd10e3fe.jpg

I've been wearing my bandit mask some-----so to be use to it in case we need to run another train down.  Alot of people never understood that the horses went incognito and used aliases just like the bandits.  Luckily-----all of my ancestors were pretty fleet afoot and got to ride with some notable characters back in the day.

Great Grampa Lightening used to tell of seeing nuthing but them Pinkerton agents in his rear view mirrors as he and the James Gang made their git aways!!!!

20210627_153205.thumb.jpg.8ff366302febb1f1ccf5430ce7a659cb.jpg

Wrangler?

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

I had to have a talk with Wrangler and explain to him that Gary was pulling double duty right now acting as the Professor in class and taking care of Sharon.  And------there were times that old tractor talk just had to take a back seat.

Really though-------everytime I think of a steam engineer acting as a care giver for his wife;  I cringe over concern for Sharron!!!???

Hope everything is going good Gary keep us posted.

DD and Wrangler

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Delta Dirt said:

I had to have a talk with Wrangler and explain to him that Gary was pulling double duty right now acting as the Professor in class and taking care of Sharon.  And------there were times that old tractor talk just had to take a back seat.

Really though-------everytime I think of a steam engineer acting as a care giver for his wife;  I cringe over concern for Sharron!!!???

Hope everything is going good Gary keep us posted.

DD and Wrangler

Anson, and Wrangler... Thank the Good Lord above, Sharon is getting better each day. She gets somewhat confused with her new meds she takes at night, so I have to be around for the varying amounts she takes of each one. But she does real well with her regular daytime meds. That is now allowing me to go to Silver Creek.

I even get Red Power visitors there. Last Thursday, I was practicing a new song I later recorded on the 94 year old Carmen accordion.

2020864198_1927CarmenAccordionandmyrecordingbentwoodchair2-11-2020.thumb.jpg.f5cc650bbef47f645ae091f63335a9fb.jpg

And guess who walked in? The famous "Tubacase47" graced my presence! Tom Railsback, a Case tractor man, and here he is posing with my 1940 IHC Farmall A tractor, "Tony." He's no different than me, I've decided. He got a Case tractor given to him, just by picking it up, which he will do soon. We visited close to an hour, I think, before he had to head back to Great Falls. Gary?

146595924_TomRailsbackTubacase47visitingSilverCreek6-24-2021.thumb.jpg.8c46e3875c2dfced011f96a109f8dcf0.jpg

• Like 4

Gary..

Re   those pictures taken on the' Paulose'  country in Washington  ....of the TD35    and the TD  14 (?)......Those pictures and others you had on when ""paulose""   was active on here...make our hills look like little sand castles, by comparison....

They are priceless photo's ...I reckon

We talked ages ago about that classic   photo of the TD14 pulling an  IHC  header..on similiar country

Perhaps  the "sand  castle '    comment was a bit unkind..in reality, it is the sheer scale of the cultivated land that East   Washington  offers.......You drop our whole Nelson Province  area , into those pictures ...and wouldn't notice it thereafter......:)

Mike

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Delta Dirt said:

Excuse me:   I took the opportunity to make a post on the old codgers thread while my ol' ranch hand is dozed off and his cell phone wuz laying here handy.

Keep up the good work Wrangler. l really enjoy hearing it "straight from the horse's mouth".   ?

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

TwoStep----

Maybe we can hook ol' Wrangler up with Gary and they can record on the squeezebox "the Horse's Mouth Blues" for us.

-----and I feel for sure the two of them could readily come up with a flip side (other end of the horse) recording for us!!!!???

We need to here your new recording Gary.

DD

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Red Power Fellas, I did get an email from Greg. His daughter let him know I was asking for us, how he was doing. He's 80 years old and still living in the house in the Palouse he grew up in. I got his phone number and will try to contact him later. It sounds like he has some ailments just like Anson and me. I'm sure glad Wrangler has avoilded that so far.

Anson, tell Wrangler I don't know that song. I'm sorry. Maybe we could cook up a rendition of, "Never Look A GIFT Horse In The Mouth" though? I'm sure I could teach that one to him very rapidly. I'll play the accordion though. I don't think his "finger dexterity" would be ample for a squeezebox? Oh, The Wornout Horseshoe Blues is another song he could learn? Gary?

• Like 2