IH Tractors on Montana Farm

Old Binder Guy

29 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Good find. Handle is all there. White spacers make it older I believe. Straight claws are my favorite. Got lots of good “nailing” left in its future and I’m not referring to your bawdy house talk either ?

Todd, I'm sure Anson is a "closet hammer collector??" He sounds like the "nailer" to me?

I was told that the ones with the white spacers are newer. I sure don't know? I do have a lot more of them with the white spacers than those without. Gary?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Old Binder Guy said:

I was told that the ones with the white spacers are newer. I sure don't know? I do have a lot more of them with the white spacers than those without. Gary?

I could easily be wrong. I have been before, just ask my wife ?

• Haha 2

I bought a 460 Farmall with a Du-al loader from that "Fabricater", you talked about a bit ago.....

It only took 3 days to get the loader off it!  ?

Mike

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Professor----

Hammers, nailers, blowing anvils, burning rod ,drillers, etc..............

It crossed my mind that we should be careful of what we say about the ladies pictured in your postings of bawdy house ladies from the early days out west.

I would surmise that several of the ladies pictured went on to be some respectable rancher's wife.  Who knows-----might be someone here on RedPower's grand mother or great grandmother??  Some of those ladies appear to have a bright future in front of them.

My dad's folks first settled in Nebraska in 1856-----after already having been to the California gold rush.  Even though my great grandmother came straight from Vermont to Nebraska to marry my great grandfather-----some of these hard working ladies could have eventually become Garden Club friends with my great grandmother during the pioneer days of Nebraska.

Times were definitely wild and wooly out that way in the early days.

In the meantime-----if I am gonna have to give a report on bawdy houses while not having personal experience on the subject------I will try to do more research and obtain some factual information on the subject by watching more Gunsmoke on TV. 

I feel confident that the information presented on Gunsmoke is acurate------ I have never seen Matt Dillon fire over 10 rounds from his 6 shooter without reloading!!!!!!!

My wife sez I spend too much time watching it------but, I do enjoy stopping by the Longbranch as much as possible!!!!??

DD

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Delta Dirt said:

My wife sez I spend too much time watching it------but, I do enjoy stopping by the Longbranch as much as possible!!!!??

l have a question about the goin's on in Dodge City.  Whatever happened to Chester Goode? He was still in Dodge when Festus showed up. And he was there when Quint came along.

Maybe he went back to Texas? Maybe he fell off a horse and broke his good leg and Doc Adams had to shoot him to put him out of his misery?  Or maybe he ran off with one of them "soiled doves" from the Longbranch? Or maybe got tangled up with the wrong crowd at the Lady Gay Saloon? 

Just hard to imagine Dennis Weaver as a Corsair pilot in the Navy during WWII.  "MR. DILLON!!!!  MR. DILLON!! Bogeys at 12 O'Clock!!" 

• Haha 2

Anybody recall the TV show from the early to mid 70s Weaver starred in? McCloud I believe.  There were 3 or so shows that each took a turn in the same time slot every Sunday night as I recall.  I think the one of the other shows was McMillian and wife, then there was one starring Charles Bronson as an old west lawman moved to big city around turn of the century when more scientific methods were just being invented. All 3 were detective the shows with a different venue and in the one case time period. Was Columbo in that rotation too? 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

All 3 were detective the shows with a different venue and in the one case time period. Was Columbo in that rotation too? 

There was 4 shows in that series. McCloud with Dennis Weaver, Hec Ramsey with Richard Boone, Columbo with Peter Falk and McMillan and Wife with Rock Hudson.

Another person that is hard to imagine as a P-47 Thunderbolt pilot in WWII was William Schallart. He played in in all kinds of TV shows. Lots of westerns but lots of others too including a farmer on Andy Griffith Show.

William Schallart.jpg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, mikem said:

I bought a 460 Farmall with a Du-al loader from that "Fabricater", you talked about a bit ago.....

It only took 3 days to get the loader off it!  ?

Mike

Ever notice it takes a lot more work to get a bad weld off than good weld--:)

• Haha 3

Someday I’m going to have a milling machine.  My classically trained machinist buddy called me this morning and said he was free this afternoon if I still wanted to level up the anvil. I said sure and met him after lunch. Started with the base and finished with the face. Should be good for another 2-3 million hammer blows and got to spend the afternoon with an old friend catching up in the process.

He is an IH guy also. He bought a 67 3/4 ton IH pickup when we were in high school and fixed it up. He did body and paint and drove it a lot. Since then he has removed the 304 for an inline 6, made it 4x4 with factory parts and added an IH 5 speed tranny replacing the 4 spd. 

FA5BEA8B-66FB-43E7-9444-9225E9047F58.jpeg

4A0A3E55-1352-483C-8DDA-D88188FECDBE.jpeg

3CD21A20-364A-4968-AE8B-B6DA693490DB.jpeg

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Someday I’m going to have a milling machine.  My classically trained machinist buddy called me this morning and said he was free this afternoon if I still wanted to level up the anvil. I said sure and met him after lunch. Started with the base and finished with the face. Should be good for another 2-3 million hammer blows and got to spend the afternoon with an old friend catching up in the process.

He is an IH guy also. He bought a 67 3/4 ton IH pickup when we were in high school and fixed it up. He did body and paint and drove it a lot. Since then he has removed the 304 for an inline 6, made it 4x4 with factory parts and added an IH 5 speed tranny replacing the 4 spd. 

FA5BEA8B-66FB-43E7-9444-9225E9047F58.jpeg

4A0A3E55-1352-483C-8DDA-D88188FECDBE.jpeg

3CD21A20-364A-4968-AE8B-B6DA693490DB.jpeg

Wow, Todd, that sure turned out nice! Mills are sure handy. Gary?

• Thanks 1

As much as I have watched Gunsmoke-------I don't know when Chester left and Festus came  on board.

Never realized that Chester had been a pilot.  There definitely were some small part actors that went on to become big names that played in Gunsmoke at one time or another.

And damm-------in an attempt to educate my self for my report for the class, I watched 2 hrs of it last.  Don't remember nothing about what either story was about.

?

DD

• Haha 2

Well gentlemen, might as well park the Model T, close the barn doors and stop searching for the watermelons for a day. I’ve done it, I feel like I’ve met the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus plus a leprechaun. Captured Bigfoot, a Yeti, the Loc Nes Monster and a snipe in one fell swoop.

So what happened??  Well I met up with the one and only Old Binder Guy today!!!

2BD14D93-B328-49B3-AE6E-241B5A7F9A98.thumb.jpeg.33c053106e048df22da935db305de5cc.jpeg

I’m truely blessed and really humbled.  We didn’t meet up at a “Bawdy House” for further education but a place called “Perkins” on the wild streets of Helena, Montana. I’m not sure if the back parking lot would qualify as a place that would have those type of women but it did appear to be a little seedy. Good thing it was only 5:30 pm!

I just so happened to be traveling through Gary’s backyard today and I promised him a part for his A Farmall. So now he has no excuse to not have another operational IH tractor on a Montana farm. So get after it Gary, we need to see some more red iron!!

Myself and my friend Denley went to an auction north of Helena today. We came home with a few things on the trailer. 

644B571C-D058-4E7E-A8FA-EB7020C39005.thumb.jpeg.c1662c2f81e4a954328e33df0babb43e.jpeg

Denley loaded up a piece of yard art while I bought a nice fertilizer spreader and an even nicer IH plow. 

C2950112-D510-48C4-AC1D-AF03DEC281A2.thumb.jpeg.ead3ce8082d86bd948b735ad3588c96a.jpeg

I think it will look good behind my Super C in a parade after I touch it up with IH cream on the rims. And then this fall I’ll have to sink it in the ground because nothing gets to be a trailer queen for long around here!  Nice to see you Gary and hopefully I can get up there again in August to pitch some bundles into the threshing machine!

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, MT Matt said:

Well gentlemen, might as well park the Model T, close the barn doors and stop searching for the watermelons for a day. I’ve done it, I feel like I’ve met the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus plus a leprechaun. Captured Bigfoot, a Yeti, the Loc Nes Monster and a snipe in one fell swoop.

So what happened??  Well I met up with the one and only Old Binder Guy today!!!

2BD14D93-B328-49B3-AE6E-241B5A7F9A98.thumb.jpeg.33c053106e048df22da935db305de5cc.jpeg

I’m truely blessed and really humbled.  We didn’t meet up at a “Bawdy House” for further education but a place called “Perkins” on the wild streets of Helena, Montana. I’m not sure if the back parking lot would qualify as a place that would have those type of women but it did appear to be a little seedy. Good thing it was only 5:30 pm!

I just so happened to be traveling through Gary’s backyard today and I promised him a part for his A Farmall. So now he has no excuse to not have another operational IH tractor on a Montana farm. So get after it Gary, we need to see some more red iron!!

Myself and my friend Denley went to an auction north of Helena today. We came home with a few things on the trailer. 

644B571C-D058-4E7E-A8FA-EB7020C39005.thumb.jpeg.c1662c2f81e4a954328e33df0babb43e.jpeg

Denley loaded up a piece of yard art while I bought a nice fertilizer spreader and an even nicer IH plow. 

C2950112-D510-48C4-AC1D-AF03DEC281A2.thumb.jpeg.ead3ce8082d86bd948b735ad3588c96a.jpeg

I think it will look good behind my Super C in a parade after I touch it up with IH cream on the rims. And then this fall I’ll have to sink it in the ground because nothing gets to be a trailer queen for long around here!  Nice to see you Gary and hopefully I can get up there again in August to pitch some bundles into the threshing machine!

Thank you so much for your thoughtfulness and driving out of your way to deliver that part for my 1940 IH Farmall A, "Tony," Matt! You are such a generous individual and I'm so glad our paths crossed, thanks to this Bawdy House site of Anson's. It was great meeting Denley too! Anyone who will go with you to auction sales has to be a pretty good guy! Thank you again Matt. I hope you can make it to Mikes in August. Gary?

• Thanks 1

Matt---

Tell us again the city/town you identify with as to your location??

One thing for sure------when you get out west; being in the same state don't mean you are close together!!!

To me, that looks to be too much plow for a Super C---------sure looks good.

DD

Anson, I live in the little town of St. Regis, on I-90 at mile marker 33 just before you get to Idaho. About as west in Montana as you can get before the end of civilization.

Yes, Montana is a BIG state!  I think we put on about 450 miles yesterday. Left the farm at 6 am and rolled back in at 8:30 pm. Had a great day and saw lots of interesting scenery!

You are probably right about this plow being a little much for the Super C.  The H is likely the right tractor.  It’s a 16” plow but the SC is pretty peppy.  It’s supposed to be able to handle a 2 x 14 mounted plow.  I installed 3 1/4” high dome pistons when I overhauled it this winter. After seeding the hills on my place this spring pulling the drill and packer together, it felt like the SC pulled just as hard as my H.

D2ABD7DF-0367-421D-A5D6-2AEF588843BA.thumb.jpeg.9e033a1d58b38d67d52ed1410904f017.jpeg

Also the soils are pretty light around here with plenty of sand. I wouldn’t spend all day plowing with it, that’s what the 560, SMTA and W-9 are for. 

7D530941-B9FE-4D9B-AD5B-CF5678856B65.thumb.jpeg.90598e729a7afaa2e89abaa9d0beb5f2.jpeg

Seven bottoms are better then two!! But it will be something to try.  I really bought it because it is in such nice shape and there was a field once that I needed a two bottom plow to rip it open. It hadn’t been farmed in 40+ years and the sod was like concrete. I used the W-9 and a 2 bottom JD plow, slow going but it got the job done!  And can you really ever have too much red iron???

• Like 8

5 hours ago, MT Matt said:

Anson, I live in the little town of St. Regis, on I-90 at mile marker 33 just before you get to Idaho. About as west in Montana as you can get before the end of civilization.

Yes, Montana is a BIG state!  I think we put on about 450 miles yesterday. Left the farm at 6 am and rolled back in at 8:30 pm. Had a great day and saw lots of interesting scenery!

You are probably right about this plow being a little much for the Super C.  The H is likely the right tractor.  It’s a 16” plow but the SC is pretty peppy.  It’s supposed to be able to handle a 2 x 14 mounted plow.  I installed 3 1/4” high dome pistons when I overhauled it this winter. After seeding the hills on my place this spring pulling the drill and packer together, it felt like the SC pulled just as hard as my H.

D2ABD7DF-0367-421D-A5D6-2AEF588843BA.thumb.jpeg.9e033a1d58b38d67d52ed1410904f017.jpeg

Also the soils are pretty light around here with plenty of sand. I wouldn’t spend all day plowing with it, that’s what the 560, SMTA and W-9 are for. 

7D530941-B9FE-4D9B-AD5B-CF5678856B65.thumb.jpeg.90598e729a7afaa2e89abaa9d0beb5f2.jpeg

Seven bottoms are better then two!! But it will be something to try.  I really bought it because it is in such nice shape and there was a field once that I needed a two bottom plow to rip it open. It hadn’t been farmed in 40+ years and the sod was like concrete. I used the W-9 and a 2 bottom JD plow, slow going but it got the job done!  And can you really ever have too much red iron???

Matt, What a beautiful example of those IH Tractors on a Montana Farm!!! Thanks again for all you went through to get me that part and gasket, yesterday! Gary?

Thanks Gary, just following your lead!  

If you need anything else for the A, let me know. Either I have it here or can find it most of the time. Don’t give up on that kill switch. Either it can be taken apart and cleaned to make it ground, maybe it isn’t getting good ground where it mounts to the steering post or even I have a tractor that I have to jiggle the pull part of the switch just a touch to find the spot that it grounds properly when I kill it. That’s a good possibility with it. It will work, all Farmall stuff does!  ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MT Matt said:

Thanks Gary, just following your lead!  

If you need anything else for the A, let me know. Either I have it here or can find it most of the time. Don’t give up on that kill switch. Either it can be taken apart and cleaned to make it ground, maybe it isn’t getting good ground where it mounts to the steering post or even I have a tractor that I have to jiggle the pull part of the switch just a touch to find the spot that it grounds properly when I kill it. That’s a good possibility with it. It will work, all Farmall stuff does!  ?

Matt, I'll try to use a meter on it to find a "sweet spot" if that is what's happening. What happened, the governor had stuck open and I really had to "Kill" it! Gary?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Delta Dirt said:

Based on the pipeline hi-Jack-----the news says more tankers are needed on the road.

Reckon ol' TwoStep will be back out and rolling along the highways.

DD

Naw, l hung up my brass thief and gauge line many years ago. Let them younger fellers run up and down them tank ladders.....

crude oil brass thief.JPG

crude oil gauge line.JPG

• Like 2

TwoStep----

I assume ya'll checked volume and specific gravity on each load???

Tell us about the process.

How far did you make hauls from the field to terminal.

All interesting in the oil patch-------so much more profitable than hauling cotton to the Gin.  I still like my dream of a 2x1 skiprow pattern for cotton-------that is 2 rows of oil wells and 1 row of cotton!!!!?

DD

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Delta Dirt said:

TwoStep----

I assume ya'll checked volume and specific gravity on each load???

Tell us about the process.

How far did you make hauls from the field to terminal.

All interesting in the oil patch-------so much more profitable than hauling cotton to the Gin.  I still like my dream of a 2x1 skiprow pattern for cotton-------that is 2 rows of oil wells and 1 row of cotton!!!!?

DD

That would take one heck of a planter DD ?

• Haha 1