IH Tractors on Montana Farm

21 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

Gary, 

Would the cold snow packed in and around the hotter portions of the steam engine have been a bad thing?  Could it have caused castings to crack or anything?  

Todd, snow would try to melt packed in around those hot parts. The sad thing is, the water in the tender, then the pipes and hoses, valves etc. are in danger of freezing and that's not good for adding water to the boiler. If the water level drops the fire needs to go out. And likely the fire is already out due to running out of coal. An oil burner may continue on? After the fire's out, things all head toward freezing and breaking. I don't know if another locomotive could get close enough to help the one stuck here?

Here is one that was stuck, not too far from Eddies Corner (way before it was built), stuck in a snow bank on the old Jawbone RR between Harlowton and Lewistown, including around Buttermilk Curve. Note the hose from the rear (hot) engine putting steam into the front engine that was stuck, to keep it from freezing. I think my assumption is correct? Maybe Roger sees something else? I was not here, but I knew one of the passengers who was on the train when it got stuck in the cut.

138833039_MooreJawbonesnowplowstuckrescuerbehind.thumb.jpg.492711019b2e347a70ffc02ebf0066e5.jpg

This is another view of the stuck engine and the rescue attempt engine. Gary

1902818571_JawboneMontanaRailroadRRlocomotivestuckrescuebehindBenHollenbacksideview.thumb.jpg.9b94bf28801440ebda8694a35e505520.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 22.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Binder Guy

• Loadstar

• Delta Dirt

• Roger Byrne

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I arrived at Silver Creek this morning, Son Mike was finishing mowing meadow grass down by the barley field. It will be hay for Heather's goats. He was just finishing up and brought the Farmall F

A little background on the 1917 Acme truck.  I got it from the VanHorn Truck Museum in exchange for a bunch of work I did for them back in 1997.  I was a typical museum vehicle,  painted up but not op

Here’s a little more red iron for your thread Gary!  I finished the engine rebuild on my 1953 Super C last night and took her for a drive this morning. Runs like a top!! It was a

Posted Images

This picture was taken 20+ years ago???  That's cotton (not snow)-----but, maybe the Professor can ride this two row IH picker back up to the front page here on RedPower.

20210211_192441.thumb.jpg.e7a6cbb3bf82f071e7c4fa99238358c4.jpg

20210211_192341.thumb.jpg.b0718b2b0d9c261998cbb8f05bb2c0a6.jpg

Not sure of where I snapped these-----but he was doing a really clean job of picking.  Maybe that is a model 782????------hopefully Fred or TwoStep can identify it for us.

DD

• Like 6

I've sat at home pretty much since my last post. Watching IH cotton pickers helped warm things up a little Anson. Again, I'm kind of like a pig watching a television set. It's interesting, but I don't know a darn thing about cotton harvesting. 

Facebook provides fodder for me. A lot of it is not IHC related, but it's history and interesting to me. I hope some of you appreciate it too? This first one is one I've never heard of. Horses harnessed to a "carousel" Horsepower, turning an elevator, elevating grain into the hay mow of a barn. I like to learn new things every day. Old things too!

611678478_ElevatinggrainintoabarnwithahorsepowerelevatorfromwagonpulledbyteamofhorsesIH.jpg.1ba10eee3555f186a79775d77bf93b6f.jpg

A hard rubber tire IHC truck, I'm pretty sure. That's what the Facebook post said. The women hugging may be the truck owners or drivers?

1944808472_ManandwomanhuggingbesideahardrubbertiretruckIH.thumb.jpg.52ca8185bc15b436dd4a4c60a65e6720.jpg

A little later IH Trucks, C-models haul huge logs to the sawmill.

411810481_IHInternationalCmodelhaulinghugelogstothesawmillDavidFuller.thumb.jpg.1f691ce950e2c082887cc9045826ec1c.jpg

Frank Fisher's wife sits on his 10-20 Mogul. Those fenders appear modified a little?

86908832_FrankFisherswifeonhisIHCTitantractornearRichardtonNorthDakota.png.7f8823cfbffcaa2c98851a0400bcdcfd.png

I may have heard of a "Middle Buster" but I've never seen one before this IHC Regular pulling this one.

1228497406_Middlebuster1929behindanIHCFarmallRegularMichel.jpg.ec6052473cec8e9398d63b605f344038.jpg

I don't fully understand this McCormick Deering dealership in North Dakota? It almost could be selling medicines and drugs, plus have a soda fountain. But It is IH approved.

386913227_IHMcCormick-DeeringstoreinSouthDakota.thumb.jpg.2171d97c218714742531f758a3bdf49e.jpg

Main Street of Mitchell, South Dakota. It is at least 1912 if not 1913, right Roger? An IHC MW AutoWagon parked behind the horse and wagon. And a Model T Ford near the horse and buggy.

697904588_MainStreetofMitchellSouthDakotahorseswagonsIHCAutoWagonModelTFord_edited-1.thumb.jpg.406cf594f902e6e65707d94adfd9dd7c.jpg

I always love seeing a photo of a steam engine, a 15 hp Case engine and tender here I believe, chopping corn and filling a silo. I also thought it could be a 12 hp Case, but the front wheels are too wide. Unless it has special order width? I'm embarrassed I can't tell the difference here.

791394789_12hpCaseengineandtenderchoppingcornfillingasiloIHebay.thumb.jpg.d29621a31101d84e14c8969dcb25a961.jpg

speaking of Case tractors... I thought this was a McCormick-Deering Farmall F-12 at first glance. Then I talked myself out of it. It's a Case.

196506101_CasetractornarrowfrontendsteelwheelslikeIHFarmall.jpg.a71f3a99643c3e0b81382cb420175e49.jpg

I always do a little pause when I see a Caterpillar Sixty, like this one pulling a road grader. I think every county road department in America had one of these. I know Fergus County, where Lewistown is the seat, had one. They were derived from the Best Track Layer Sixty. When Best and Holt merged in 1925, this proven unit of Best's became this Cat 60.

817065276_Caterpillar60pullingaroadgraderDavidFullerIH.jpg.b5f8187efc0b086ed07e17d19963557d.jpg

Balsiger's Fordson Tractor Display at their Ford, Fordson Dealership.

1421146475_BalsigerMotorCompanyFordandFordsondealerfairdisplayoftractorsDavidFullerIH.thumb.jpg.fc88214741e93212b3c60abd4aa5a391.jpg

My cousins owned an Avery combine. This one pulled by a Fordson tractor, emptying harvested grain into a wagon pulled by a team of horses plucked some harp strings for me.

1682128585_FordsontractorpullinganAverysteelcombineinfieldunloadinggrainhorsesandwagonDavidFullerIH.thumb.jpg.de8dd08c6a6c11c1a0443b9acb368966.jpg

Here was a new one for me. An International Harvester hit & miss engine ad, vying gasoline against steam. I can forgive Harvester for this ad, this far down this antique road.

961727963_IHInternationalHarvesterGasversusvssteamenginepowerintheboxingring.thumb.jpg.3a138194877d87811309b80fb1ab2667.jpg

Speaking of steam, this 210 hp German Ottomeyer steam engine is paired with another like it. They're pulling this European plow with cables across the field. I don't fully understand plowing five feet deep? Maybe one of you can explain it to me? This topsoil must be phenomenal?

1831080910_MassiveGermanOttomeyersteamenginesplowing6feetdeepEastertoOctober12hoursaday6daysaweekCraigDetwilerIH.jpg.20567cc4405c7f63a2721c4517cfb75a.jpg

This poor old Autocar semi tractor went through every semi truck driver's mind. The dreaded "jackknife."

562238899_AutoCartrailerJackKnifeIH.thumb.jpg.ef7f58494c9fa30532c2a39caa25a79d.jpg

This IH semi is hauling too precious of commodity to ever jackknife. Brand new IH Farmall 100 (Cub) tractors!

582295109_BigIHTruckandTrailerhaulingaloadofIHFarmall100Cubtractors.jpg.3bb822f7f7f78ee8126375b01222729d.jpg

Here is what a Farmall Cub looks like plowing snow. 

692580333_IHFarmallCubplowingsnow.jpg.6bf35f7e3aa9342619b03b69f8c6c8bc.jpg

This is an IH dealership in France. A French father has his kids on these two IH tractors for a photo.

1656516308_ProudfatherhisIHMcCormicktractorsinEuropeandhiskidsonthemMichelHoubar.jpg.544b37c45872d0a2a8cc4e4dc6f7b79c.jpg

I would guess that the owner of this special body Model T Ford was a photographer, who likely used Kodak bellows types of cameras?

628992945_KodakbellowscamerabodyonaModelTFordIH.jpg.d9c6c7503bee9e650c413ee16211a89a.jpg

Here is Shull's Tire Shop in Lewistown, Montana. Dad was a good friend of Moe Shull, who started the business and lived upstairs. I don't know what the coupe is at left, but the center car is a 1925 Model T Ford Coupe, likely in for a new set of 4.40X21" balloon tires? The Studebaker Touring Car at right belonged to Moe.

1272493232_ShullsTireShopinLewistownMoesfamilylivedupstairs1925ModelTCoupeStudebakerTouringCarFredIhde.jpg.dc9b4bd4231ea6a9f9987bc145b9008e.jpg

How many of you old retired farmers remember the revolution of the Graham Hoeme chisel plows as in this photo in North Dakota? I think every farm in central Montana had one, except my dad? Uncle Audie farmed with one behind his WD-9. That may just be an IHC cylinder plow at left? I can't identify the tractor hitched to it?

1393319131_tractorcylinderIHConewayplowandGrahamHoemechiselnearHarveyNorthDakota.jpg.c3bf8f569f78f80463c131f56a1f9a46.jpg

This is a 2016 "file photo" of son Mike plowing snow with his IH 300 Utility. This may be what he's doing today. It has been too cold before now to plow it. This is what IH Tractors on a Montana Farm does in deep snow. It was -14 here in Helena this morning at 8:AM. Gary?

305321667_Mikeplowingsnow300UtilityIHafter-19temperature12-17-16.jpg.dcf7f2be32fd6f9e6ada69e0ef24ea38.jpg

• Like 5

I've read that deep plowing like your picture is done to reclaim land that has been covered in sand and silt by major floods http://www.mycaldwellcounty.com/farm-agriculture/excavating-company-helped-restore-flooded-farmland-15-ton-plow 

Another time it was being done to turn under deposits left by years of irrigation. 

• Like 2

Howard has the "normal" story for the big plows, but look that picture over again. Looks to me like it has wing on each side. Plows just a bit smaller are common in the flood irrigated parts of California. Run lateral ditches from the main ditch leveled and put back with each new planting. Being how big this plow is maybe doing drainage ditches or building main line ditches.

And as always Gary I enjoy your efforts to share history with the rest of us. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm not up trucks as much as I would like to be, but is the tractor pulling the Cubs a Diamond Reo? I don't know.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
39 minutes ago, oldscoutdiesel said:

I'm not up trucks as much as I would like to be, but is the tractor pulling the Cubs a Diamond Reo? I don't know.

I think you're correct, oldscoutdiesel! I paid too much attention to the tractors and not enough attention on THE tractor. Gary?

PS: I talked to son Mike on the phone tonight. He WAS plowing snow with the 300 Utility today.

• Like 1

Hoping Mike isn't pushing that Montana snow south.

Looks like somebody is-------we have a major winter storm watch posted for the weekend into middle of next week.  Extreme cold for Mississippi----'temps ranging 2----8° F.

"Two below in Tupelo" might be a reality------they are usually a little colder than here in the Delta.

A number of trucks in those years had very similar cabs.  I always figured there was a common manufacturer selling to the different manufacturers.  Who was it-------what's the deal???

DD

• Like 2

Had to swipe the Farmall Regular and middle buster picture to my files Professor.

That's some good looking Dirt he is rolling.  Sorta interesting to me as to how he is spacing his skipped area out with no marker nor GPS??  That may be a staged picture for advertisement purposes------but sure looks good regardless.  My old daddy (the Farmall Expert) would sure like it!!!

Normally-----you would turn around and track the rear wheel back in the previous track.  Those old Regulars, F-20s, etc would turn on a dime when the steering cable actuated the rear wheel brake.

DD

• Like 2

Mean while back at the Ranch--

20210213_174224.thumb.jpg.a37e6b55c72d945c0bfa752ce71d54b7.jpg

The famous horse Wrangler asked me to pull his overcoat out for tonight and let him practice for handling the Montana cold snap coming our way tomorrow.

Question:  

We have always heard the expression:  "colder than a well digger's as$ in Idaho"

So-------which is the coldest (Idaho or Montana???)

Sorry about the appearance of the overcoat-------its been around for a long time also.

DD

20210213_174138.jpg

• Like 3
22 hours ago, Delta Dirt said:

A number of trucks in those years had very similar cabs.  I always figured there was a common manufacturer selling to the different manufacturers.  Who was it-------what's the deal???

DD

Chicago Manufacturing Co was a major steel stamping company in the 50s and 60s and built cabs for many manufacturers including some for IH, Mack, Diamond T, Dart, Reo, White, and others.  Some cabs were their design sold to the the truck builder so they look alike and some like IH and Mack were the customer's design.  The Budd Company was another cab builder and there may have been others.  The IH Comfovision cab was used by a dozen manufacturers over the years.

The truck is likely a Reo, as Diamond Reo wasn't formed until 1967.  The emblem on the hood looks more like Reo's boomerang shaped logo that the Diamond Reo diamond.

The tractors look larger than Cubs, possibly 100s?

Chicago Manufacturing Tag.jpg

• Like 2

Nice pictures Gary!  Always interesting.

Gary’s part of Montana is definitely colder then western Montana or Idaho. Only got to zero here the last couple of nights. My son lives in Kansas City and it was a little colder there then here last night.  Crazy that it will be that cold all the way down into the Delta!  No wonder Wrangler has his heavy winter coat on!!

Those are definitely Cubs on the trailer. You can see the battery box until the seat. 100s were the later version of an A and the seats were different as well as the location of the battery box. Based on the grill, they are likely either 1955 or ‘56. I think the ‘57 was white like the 350/450 series.  A friend here has a 1955 Cub he drives in parades. 

Gary do you think that might be a WD-40 McCormick pulling that disk plow?  The fenders and platform look like it as well as the PTO shroud. Also the exhaust stack is on the correct side. That would be a big enough tractor to pull that disk plow or chisel plow right?

• Like 2

OBG you probably need to ask someone else about the cotton pickers. Al my expertise is with strippers..lol   Cotton strippers that is!!  Here is a couple of pics of some middle busters like you posted. But around here they called them listers. These pics were taken in the late 40's in Crosby County, Texas. (the county l was born and raised in)

Also is a pic of a Graham-Hoeme plow l bought for use on on my IH 664 but sold it even before l got it home. You could raise and lower manually or it had the dogs to hook up a hydraulic cylinder.

And last, here is a pic of a Texaco Oil Co. truck. If you zoom in on it, the serial tag right in front of the chain drive sprocket, it says "Universal". Looks like the early use of duals on the rear.

IH 2 row lister1-revised.JPG

IH 2 row lister-revised.JPG

hoeme4sale1.jpg

Texaco truck.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

In reference to the Ottomeyer plow....

A couple of pics I took of a ditching plow at the museum in North Platte Ne.

According to the display, this thing was used for irrigation ditches, and was pulled by 48 oxen...(Or a horse powered winch.)

IM003487.thumb.JPG.c34c4d9ec447bc33c0e3a8aa4da97528.JPGIM003483.thumb.JPG.7cf58c261832faa0c9d81bbe63f551ba.JPG

Mike

• Like 3

Thanks for the cab info Howard-----I had always wondered about that.  Truth of the matter------more product was always manufactured and "re-badged" (if that is the proper terminoligy) than most common folks on the street knew.

You listed Dart in your truck line up.  Don't believe I ever heard of it??

Glad to see TwoStep back in action.

And------sure glad to get some verifiable info on the Idaho/Montana weather.  That's what really concerns me-------supposedly this is a "Montana cold snap" floating off down here in Mississippi.  Maybe it will blow some of those gold and silver coins (that Gary was plowing up) off down this way!!

DD

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Delta Dirt said:

And------sure glad to get some verifiable info on the Idaho/Montana weather.  That's what really concerns me-------supposedly this is a "Montana cold snap" floating off down here in Mississippi.  Maybe it will blow some of those gold and silver coins (that Gary was plowing up) off down this way!!

DD

I’m gonna claim it’s an eastern Montana cold snap. At least that’s my story. ? The weather east of the continental divide is very different from the west side. The plant growing zone where I live now is the same as where I lived in Springfield, Missouri. 

We usually get our weather from the west coast while eastern Montana gets more of the Canadian weather. So really you can blame Canada for not closing the door!

• Like 2

We are pretty cool here tonight. Yesterday morning was colder at around 2° but today we have had a nasty north wind. Frost heaved under a barn door so I was out this afternoon with a pick axe chipping dirt.  It’s sad when shards of frozen dirt are piling up like broken glass. 

01479BFC-D3D5-4E1B-8922-B11E2138BF59.jpeg

• Like 1
On 2/13/2021 at 6:58 PM, Delta Dirt said:

Mean while back at the Ranch--

20210213_174224.thumb.jpg.a37e6b55c72d945c0bfa752ce71d54b7.jpg

The famous horse Wrangler asked me to pull his overcoat out for tonight and let him practice for handling the Montana cold snap coming our way tomorrow.

Question:  

We have always heard the expression:  "colder than a well digger's as$ in Idaho"

So-------which is the coldest (Idaho or Montana???)

Sorry about the appearance of the overcoat-------its been around for a long time also.

DD

20210213_174138.jpg

Anson, I like Wrangler's overcoat. It's good you found it and put it on him. We did send our weather your way, as ours is supposed to move east somewhat. I saw somewhere in North Dakota where they got down to -43° there. The coldest I saw on our thermometer here on the mountain side in Helena was -19°. Mike said it got down to (I think?) -27° down in the Helena Valley, where the cold settles. So I guess Idaho and Montana go for wanting, while North Dakota takes the cake, Anson?? As much as we'd loved having the trophy on our shelf, we'll sacrifice it to the Dakotans. However, I know I've reported it likely a half dozen times since I started this nonsense a couple years ago, the year Sharon and I got married, 1963, that winter of 1964 we had three nights it was -47° below zero. Not -46° or -48° but -47° below. I had my 1960 B-100 IH truck with 266V-8 engine. I only had a dipstick oil heater and a quilt over the hood. It started every time. It had nylon bias ply tires. They felt square for about the first 300 yards, then they started feeling round. I had the night shift during calving, the reason I was up at 2:AM & 5:AM. That pickup was an IH Pickup on a Montana Farm!

297504197_IH1960B-100NicholsShepard1962PontiacCatalina1896RussellGaryYaegerimp.jpg.8ec9c565d74a3e2629e51dad8e70fe92.jpg

• Like 3

Thermometer hovered around -8 or 9 all day here. We get these temps and colder for short periods of time. Anywhere from a few days to a couple weeks. Been - temps over night for near a couple weeks now. Suppose to be -19 overnight tomorrow.  I'm tired of it already. Back to low 30s or upper 20s by end of week for daytime temps im ready. Mirafount cattle water wants to freeze at float valve over night when it gets into the single digits or colder and at 0 or below ice starts freezing to under side of top cover so the floating lid ball will hang up to side leaving water exposed. This brand of water uses ground heat coming up an oversize riser pipe and incoming water temps to keep it unthawed. Works good down to upper teens or above. 5 gal of hot water poured over the valve into the resivour unthaws the valve and a screw driver or scrapper to chip or scrape ice from underside of lid so it will close. I am ready for 20s and 30s! Lol.

• Like 3

great pictures, you blokes !!!!   Thanks 

...Howard mentioned "Dart " trucks...there was a big old 6x4   tractor around our area for years...pulling a two rows of eight, low bed...

Mike

• Like 3

We had a bit of a strange occurrence yesterday. Supposedly all 254 counties in Texas and all 77counties in Oklahoma was under some sort of winter storm watch or advisory. last night our temp got down to -1 degrees and right now at almost 1pm we are at a blistering 5 degrees. We do have some cold weather but usually not like this. Funny thing they are forecasting low 70's by next weekend. Just guessing we got somewhere around a foot of snow yesterday. lf it keeps this up l may have to get a snowplow for my tractor like you guys up north!!  lol 

snowfall-2-14-21.jpg

snowfall-2-14-21+2.jpg

snowfall-2-14-21+3.jpg

• Like 3

looks like them french changed some FORDSON tractors over to a CLM two cylinder dual piston two stroke engines lol 

• Like 3

Anson, On those cotton pickers you spoke of, that first machine appears to be too far away to determine what kind of machine it is, but judging by the wide air ducts on each side I would think its a 4 row.  It may be a 1844 like one of the two I show down below.  The problem with these machines is they still have the old chain drive components in the heads.  The later ones used gear drive.  

The other one appears to be be like you say a model 782.  Actually for about 30-35 years in the 70s, 80s, 90s, we used a stripper, a 2row 95 and 4row 1400.  And then we went back to pickers with a 6 row John Deere.  

I believe the 782 was built 1978-80 and the 4 rows were built after that. 

The 1844 I think is the first one in your post.  The problem with the IH pickers is they still used at that time 3 roller chains in each picker head ( 3 chains per row).  A double #60 chain to turn the doffers and I believe a 30 (I don't remember what it rotates) and a real small one to run the water meters.  These chains need constant attention.  They have idlers and slack take up adjustment.  Dad took our 2 row  to the dealer years ago.  It needed something.  Anyway, they put a new double chain on it.  The chain that comes from IH parts are longer than standard.  There is supposed to be only one master link in it.   The shop person installed the new chain.  It was too long so he cut some off. ( found this out later)  He went to run the machine, to test  it  and one doffer stalk wasn't turning.  He had bypassed it so then he had to add it back in with another master link.  If he would just ask someone I'm sure they would have told him not to cut an IH part.  Anyway, after IH did all the R&D, John Deere comes along and  pretty much copies it, but they did use all gear drive in the heads, a much better set up.  International today is gear drive. the 1844's I have are the last model with chain drive. IH doesn't have  enough dealers and they won't carry parts.  For the most part, I like International but they sure have a problem keeping up with things.  

20210211_192441.thumb.jpg.e7a6cbb3bf82f071e7c4fa99238358c4.jpg

20210211_192341.thumb.jpg.b0718b2b0d9c261998cbb8f05bb2c0a6.jpg

The first one I believe may be an 1844 or a 2044 built after 1984.  The 1844 is the earlier one.  

Here is 2 below.  These models may be the last ones with chain drive.  

It could be an 1844 like one of these two.  One is a later model.  One has a 466, one has a 504 engine.  

I bought these some years ago and my son deemed them not fast enough so he wouldn't mess with them.  I used to tell him what to do, now he tells me what to do.?  As long he does most of the work, it's OK.

The bad thing about these is they still have the chain drive doffers and other components that are problematic.  

IMG_1658.thumb.JPG.e097d0ee323018f008d10f30e70bd698.JPG

Along with everyone else we've been having some really cold temperatures like 17F.   They are saying this is the 7th time we matched records going back to 1895.  Have to try to stay warm.  

• Like 2

Hitting the nail on the head Fred.

No doubt J-D stepped way ahead of IH by going with the gear drive vs chain.  It always amazes me that the chain drives in the old IH heads performed as well as they did.

J-D has probably been the predominant picker here in the Delta since maybe the early 1970s???

But------IH has always had a strong dealer network here and still do.

I saw those cold temps extending all the way down your way last night/today.  Won't be long and the sun will be out and ya'll will be planting------keep us posted when you get started.

Cotton picker-----Delta----Texas related personel:

The legendary country singer Freddie Fender ("Before the nextTear Drop Falls") worked at a picker repair shop in Lake Village, Arkansas sometime in his early career.  I never knew him------but man did I (still do) love his music.  Don't really know what part of Texas he was from----but we thank you for his talent.

I imagine Freddie knows what we are talking about.

edit:  just Googled Freddie Fender-----born San Benito, died Corpus Christie in 2006

DD

• Like 2