IH Tractors on Montana Farm

Gary---

Daddy worked with IHC promoting the Regular until maybe 1931 or so.  Establishing a date on the picture or the tractor itself would help narrow the possibility.  I do not think that would be him here on the farm.

I always understood that the vertical exhaust was added by IH (or offered as an option) in later years of production??

He always said that they sold so many Regulars that he began to believe that you could farm and make big money with them.  He quit Harvester and came home to farm just in time for the 1932 crash.  After 1932-----he said he was to broke to get out.  Grampa Sheldon had managed the farm for him while he was travelling for IHC.

I am thinking that may be a picture snapped at some demonstration or promotional event------noting that the tractor seems to be the item being emphasized in the picture.

Sure wish he was still around------so to give Roger and TwoStep some competition on this BLue SMoke thing.😎

DD

• Like 4
  • Replies 22.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Binder Guy

• Loadstar

• Delta Dirt

• Roger Byrne

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I arrived at Silver Creek this morning, Son Mike was finishing mowing meadow grass down by the barley field. It will be hay for Heather's goats. He was just finishing up and brought the Farmall F

Yesterday was Dad's youngest sibling, my late Uncle Audie Yaeger's birthday. He was born April 19, 1910. His first son Alvin was born in 1940. He was a favorite of mine, as he'd take time for me, thre

Nice tribute post for Memorial Day Gary. **** I stumbled upon these pictures today of my 1943 model TD-14 with my homemade 3 pt hitch pulling a 6 row hipper in 1973.  The old crawler was a l

Posted Images

Anson and Gary,  l've checked all my pics on file and don't have any info on that one either. ln the 30's and upwards, the government had lots of photographers going around and talking pics of "everyday ordinary" people to document struggles they went through. l have a lot of those pics that were farm related. And what l think is interesting is that a majority of them are IHC tractors and equipment. Not all....but a lot are. But l'll keep searching and see if l can find anything on it.

While l was going through files, l did find one that DD might find interesting. A Massey-Harris Challenger that's been converted to butane-propane pulling a 4 row cotton planter. Taken on the high ground of Texas in Crosby county (east of Lubbock) in 1946.

MH Challenger-propane.jpg

• Like 4

TwoStep---

Have seen the Challenger picture somewhere before.  That's a strange mount on the tank-------and I don't understand the wraps on the tank???

Still puzzled on the Farmall Regular picture.  How tall do ya'll think the driver might be???  Just to much resemblances here-------even my wife sees it.

Can't sleep------can't breathe------can't think.  Doctor sent oxygen to the house today.  Any of ya'll using supplemental oxygen????

Did learn one thing out of the deal.  The 110 volt "oxyenator" (pump) is no more than an air compressor--------not as much chance of getting too much oxygen in your system vs the raw oxygen from a tank.  I do have the small tank for travel.  

Doctors are obviously the ultimate mechanic (serviceman)-------the human body is a complicated piece of equipment.  But------I have worn out  numerous tractors, trucks, etc along the way!!!!  Just not hitting on all cylinders right now.

DD

DD

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Sounds like you are listening to those mechanics Anson. Keep that up and they will find the right stuff to keep you tuned up and running well. You better tell them to keep the mixture a little rich though or else we might lose some of that Blue Smoke. 😊. Stay healthy my friend. 

• Like 4
8 hours ago, Delta Dirt said:

Have seen the Challenger picture somewhere before.  That's a strange mount on the tank-------and I don't understand the wraps on the tank???

Anson l posted that pic on a LP tractor facebook group page quite a while ago.  Consensus among most of those guys was that the tank was mounted on top for residual engine heat. And nobody could come up with a definitive answer on the tank being wrapped and what it was wrapped with. My guess is it is for the same reason.....to hold heat and the material used was probably wrapped with burlap or bale jute. Back then you could go to a gin and get old bale wraps for free. l do know that back then, at least in our area folks used butane instead of propane and when it got cold weather,  butane would vapor better when warm.

Hang in there buddy and keep blowin' the blue smoke and tootin' that whustle.....

• Like 2

Anson, I'm so glad you haven't been up here breathing California, Oregon and Montana forest fire smoke. It's been a week since I saw blue sky, I think? We've had a low pressure that's brought it in and across Montana. Of course, I do wear a mask, if I'm shopping! I'm sorry you're having those problems. We're getting old. Heck, we ARE old. I've had a pinched nerve in my back that has really slowed me down. I've been going to the chiropractor and his hurting me may be helping? Well... So much for our "Organ Recital!" Take care. Gary😉

• Like 1

Professor-------ya'll beware of that smoke from the left coast----------might be more than smoke from the raging fires!!!

"Organ recital"---------that's a good description!!!  😎😅

Keep us some rusty/dusty  "scrap iron" pictures coming.👍

DD

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Ok hears some rust for you guys. Can someone tell me what model this is. It was on a auction this week and a friend bought it. 

Thanks Steve

20200914_113943.jpg

20200914_113932.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The owner of this IH Truck at the Great Falls Toy Show this past January said this is an S Model.

254843078_IHCSModelTruckatGreatFallsToyShowfrontview1-17-2020.thumb.jpg.6d2ddfb57b4f69fc86897924980d206d.jpg

I know it was a lot heavier truck than the old Six Speed Specials we had. Dad and his brothers had one of these trucks as well. Gary😉

1699350971_MovingConocotankfromGlengarryCa1930-.jpg.b033aa453f43b765f61d2d70e37249e3.jpg

• Like 2

Anson, sorry to hear about needing to go on an oxygen supplement machine.  There are a several people I know that are on one of those oxygen generators.  One of them has been on it for 10+ years and gets around with no issues . . . never misses an auction or an old iron show.   I have a 87 year old buddy that went on one of those oxygen compressors last December and says it was a great help to him . . . he feels like a 75 year old again!   I hope the extra OX help will have good results for you too.

Hang in there old friend!!

• Like 3
20 hours ago, Old Binder Guy said:

The owner of this IH Truck at the Great Falls Toy Show this past January said this is an S Model.

254843078_IHCSModelTruckatGreatFallsToyShowfrontview1-17-2020.thumb.jpg.6d2ddfb57b4f69fc86897924980d206d.jpg

I know it was a lot heavier truck than the old Six Speed Specials we had. Dad and his brothers had one of these trucks as well. Gary😉

1699350971_MovingConocotankfromGlengarryCa1930-.jpg.b033aa453f43b765f61d2d70e37249e3.jpg

Thats what I was thinking it is a S model I wanted to check with the guys that know alot more about it. Thanks again Steve

• Like 2

Not to totally change the subject but second cutting of hay needed to come off the new hay field tonight. I made it out before Dad got there and moved them 2X with his Farmall 95. Once he got there I broke out my 686 and moved some singles so we could get them all before dark. Couple more show the field some. It’s about 18 acres. 

7F7844CC-4F70-4800-A7C5-3FC820EB6235.jpeg

BD710683-F3F2-4081-9CC7-4E174157CA3F.jpeg

1240A438-B90F-461E-B872-1AE3593FFEA2.jpeg

8C01C1E4-97FA-4840-86A7-47B29AE72D24.jpeg

5CA2A9C9-6D48-4A4B-906C-D3CE79714D92.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sledgehammer, those are some awesome photos of some newer IH equipment! It's good to see that once in a while Todd! Thanks for posting. I hope your hay crop went well this year.

MT Matt, I've got your check ready to mail, but I hurt too much to go out and get the mail today. Sitting doesn't hurt, but standing and walking lights a fire in my back, left upper leg and hip. I was at Silver Creek yesterday (should have probably stayed home?) and got one "job" done. Notice right behind the throttle handle on IH Farmall A, Tony! This old IH Tractor on a Montana Farm has a new (used) On - Off kill switch! Now she sports that and that new muffler from Todd! Thank you for getting and sending that switch Matt! Gary😁

1059292824_IHFarmallATonywithitsnewon-offswitch9-17-2020.thumb.jpg.79d361b1e28fddc14a618120b00d68d1.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Old Binder Guy said:

Sledgehammer, those are some awesome photos of some newer IH equipment! It's good to see that once in a while Todd! Thanks for posting. I hope your hay crop went well this year.

Thanks. The hay hasn’t been too bad. It’s all Dad’s for his cattle. I just help out when needed since the cows are at my place. Got 32 large round bales from 18 acres on second cutting with very little moisture since the first cutting so I don’t think it’s too bad. It feeds beef cattle through the winter so that will work. This “new” field was seeded last fall by the local co-op and they didn’t have things set right on the spreader truck so there were bad skips in the original seeding. Foxtail grew up in the skips so I will be drilling into the skips with some orchard grass and brome using the drill from the county’s Soil Conservation Service over the next couple evenings. I work all weekend which doesn’t leave much time to drill in grass and see the family. It may be a good thing I invested in LED lights for the 686.....

• Thanks 1

Delta Dirt and the lawn posse rides one more time today------thanks to some fresh and cool air from Montana??

20200919_182452.thumb.jpg.a8715f9133071663cdfca19900d38dec.jpg

Really beautiful day in Mississippi today.  Cool air helped this old codger move around a little.  (my air cleaner must be plugged up??)😏

DD

20200919_173940.jpg

• Like 5

That looks great Gary but please don’t send a check!!  You or I don’t even know if that switch works and I only gave a few dollars for two switches plus a temp gauge. They all may be junk for all I know!  Lol. If it works, great!  But if you send a check you might as void it because your money is no good with me. Glad to help!

I finished a little job today. 

A4C8E1D8-7C7D-4CD1-AEF2-7BC6D8F6DEEB.thumb.jpeg.d1cffacf0adc10959b72d99a636dccf8.jpeg

C3CD4EFE-1F19-4588-8D88-B2CAF5C39C14.thumb.jpeg.43dc495a3c48ed2047e5593f492089a4.jpeg

I finished the lights on my 1950 H that I converted to 12 volts. They are sealed beam LEDs that fit in the original light buckets. I bought new gaskets for the rings but bought the wrong style. I found out there is an old style for the glass lense (which I thought would be right) and a new style for the sealed light used in the pancake style buckets of the Super series and later.  They weren’t tight in the ring but I built it up with some tape. Sometimes you have to make due with what you have!

I also used the original three position light switch and removed the jumper wire that makes the dim setting.  Now the front lights work with either position and the rear light comes on at the second position. I don’t think I’ve ever needed dim lights but I’ve always wanted brighter!  These LED lights are way brighter then the original 6 volt bulbs. 

• Like 3
On 9/19/2020 at 8:57 PM, MT Matt said:

That looks great Gary but please don’t send a check!!  You or I don’t even know if that switch works and I only gave a few dollars for two switches plus a temp gauge. They all may be junk for all I know!  Lol. If it works, great!  But if you send a check you might as void it because your money is no good with me. Glad to help!

I finished a little job today. 

A4C8E1D8-7C7D-4CD1-AEF2-7BC6D8F6DEEB.thumb.jpeg.d1cffacf0adc10959b72d99a636dccf8.jpeg

C3CD4EFE-1F19-4588-8D88-B2CAF5C39C14.thumb.jpeg.43dc495a3c48ed2047e5593f492089a4.jpeg

I finished the lights on my 1950 H that I converted to 12 volts. They are sealed beam LEDs that fit in the original light buckets. I bought new gaskets for the rings but bought the wrong style. I found out there is an old style for the glass lense (which I thought would be right) and a new style for the sealed light used in the pancake style buckets of the Super series and later.  They weren’t tight in the ring but I built it up with some tape. Sometimes you have to make due with what you have!

I also used the original three position light switch and removed the jumper wire that makes the dim setting.  Now the front lights work with either position and the rear light comes on at the second position. I don’t think I’ve ever needed dim lights but I’ve always wanted brighter!  These LED lights are way brighter then the original 6 volt bulbs. 

Matt, you've heard that old saying, "Check's in the mail?" That Farmall H is going to be a great outfit. Those LEDs sure look brighter than the old standard 6 volt bulb.

I got out a 12 volt alternator I had on a shelf for Mike to put on his Farmall M, Toot. Maybe he will LED his lights?!!

The kids fired up the steam engines today. A different plan today. Put the Case away in the shed for the winter, and leave the Reeves outside for a little while yet. It makes the "layup" process split up and not so tiring, doing both engines. 

Mike fired both engines and backed them over to the wood pile. I caught him walking back to the shed. The Peerless steam engine is belted to the feed grinder. He ground three washtubs full of ground corn with it and the Reeves furnishing steam.

91318558_MikewalkingtoshedfromCaseandReevesenginesatthewoodpile9-20-2020.thumb.jpg.60fbfe55d542cf778b948bfe65a06b11.jpg

Mike brought Paw a lawn chair to sit on in the doorway of the shop. I sat there through two mugs of tea. I did ride on both engines, but I never touched a throttle today. Very unusual for me. I'm moving slow with my pinched nerve in my back that radiates around my hip joint and down the top of my leg. That is an IH Tractor on a Montana Farm behind me!

136447038_Selfiesittinginachairdrinkingteawatchingtheboyssteam9-20-2020.thumb.jpg.75a687488986104839bb770178392061.jpg

100 psi on the Case, ready for a ride.

2000236448_100poundsofpressureonthe15hpCase9-20-2020.thumb.jpg.2e316e3d722fcdab1e19aeec3c8cbfa9.jpg

Mike oiling the crosshead, and other places on the Case. The Model TT Truck is outside. I told the boys how to start it. They got it started and Randy drove it outside to park it.

154635766_MikeoilingtheCasecrosshead9-20-2020.thumb.jpg.3164555e1c3d0a518aaf7d16406dea79.jpg

Another selfie on the Case.1882517979_SelfieontheCaseriding9-20-2020.thumb.JPG.073f25ded91101e4202329cabeec568f.JPG

After my ride, Mike backed the Case up to the shed, pulled the fire, and backed it into its winter berth.

26478594_15hpCasebackedintoshedforthewinter9-20-2020.thumb.jpg.ee9765db86cf9c52ceeaca44f4126b76.jpg

They always look good backed into the shed.

1549353184_15hpCasebackedintoshedforthewinter9-20-2020.thumb.jpg.6d55c8698b11c8edff2acbc228d2f829.jpg

Randy is putting wood into the Reeves firebox. Here at the woodpile.

758343223_Randyatthewoodpile9-20-2020.thumb.jpg.daf92e7621046669ec38f3c4b6986112.jpg

Mike asked if I wanted a ride on the Reeves, and I said yes. So the three of us took it out to Mike's cul de sac. When we got back to the shop, I got off and went home for the night. After getting up early for Church, Sunday School then the steaming, I was ready to call it a day. Actually, I'm ready to call it a night now! Gary😁

1621071079_MikeandRandytakingPaw-Uncforarideonthe20hpReeves9-20-2020.thumb.JPG.9a7ec99d23f456e658454ce4229d321e.JPG

• Like 6

Anson, glad you got some cool weather and was able to enjoy the day. Hope things are going well for you.

Gary you have some beautiful backrounds in your pictures. Love to see and read about things at silver creek. Hope your nerve gets better soon so you can be as active as you wish.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One last field of soybeans to cut here on our farm-----planted late due to seep water from Mississippi River.

May be the best???  You never know what the good lord, the weatherman,  and some good farming practices are going to give you!!!  (all seasoned with LUCK)

20200921_162005.thumb.jpg.7a9eb510fbc5b25e4a0ebe3039852eed.jpg

that's my old friend------mainline Mississippi River Levee in the background.  (View to North-----we are located along the bottom of Lake Lee)

Hope everybody is moving forward with their harvest.  Good luck---

DD

• Like 3

Gentlemen i took middle girl for a longgg 4 wheeler ride sunday after church.  We bumpity bumped down a old un used spur and found these.  They are on the tracks(underside) in what seems to me random.  What is this!

20200920_175301.jpg

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

Gentlemen i took middle girl for a longgg 4 wheeler ride sunday after church.  We bumpity bumped down a old un used spur and found these.  They are on the tracks(underside) in what seems to me random.  What is this!

20200920_175301.jpg

That is a rail anchor.  Placed next to the ties to prevent lengthways  “creep” of the rail.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
20 hours ago, E160BHM said:

That is a rail anchor.  Placed next to the ties to prevent lengthways  “creep” of the rail.

Don't believe I have ever seen a "rail anchor" before-------thanks for the prompt answer.

Can you explain how it was placed next to the cross tie??

Was it commonly used on all tracks or maybe just in certain soil conditions?

Not much railroad knowledge here-----thanks.

DD