IH Tractors on Montana Farm

It says today is Tubacase’s birthday. Happy Birthday Tom. I don’t have a whole lot of Case pictures but I do have this one of my Grandfather on his some time a few decades before I was born. 

EAF61A3B-29FD-46F4-9BDE-7C557397D7DA.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 22.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Binder Guy

• Loadstar

• Delta Dirt

• Roger Byrne

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I arrived at Silver Creek this morning, Son Mike was finishing mowing meadow grass down by the barley field. It will be hay for Heather's goats. He was just finishing up and brought the Farmall F

Yesterday was Dad's youngest sibling, my late Uncle Audie Yaeger's birthday. He was born April 19, 1910. His first son Alvin was born in 1940. He was a favorite of mine, as he'd take time for me, thre

Nice tribute post for Memorial Day Gary. **** I stumbled upon these pictures today of my 1943 model TD-14 with my homemade 3 pt hitch pulling a 6 row hipper in 1973.  The old crawler was a l

Posted Images

8 hours ago, Old Binder Guy said:

Twostepn2001, You'd best refrain from (NO, not John Deere posts) talking about photographers and strippers. Anson gets excited every time that comes up and I'm afraid he'll have another cardiac arrest. Thanks, Gary😃

My bad.....l never gave any thought to Anson's heart condition. Sure nuff don't want him getting to excited over strippers....lol   But does that apply to Tubacase too? For a belated Happy Birthday wish and "gift", here's a pic of a Case tractor and cotton stripper at a dealer in Crosbyton, Texas. Not sure about the date. Two things stand out in the pic that l really like. lt's cotton related and also propane related.

Case cotton stripper-revised.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Re:  "Anson gets excited....."

Not so much so this past week Professor.  I spent 4 days in the hospital trying to catch my breath.

A young black student nurse was on training duty and was asking about my health status.  She was somewhat shy and came to a question about my sexual activity.

I told her I couldn't even spell sex anymore------barely remembered anything about it!!!!🙄

I am still kicking.  Gotta start a new movement with a white T-shirt saying:

"I am a white man------and I can't breathe!!!

Glad to know you and TwoStep got it on your mind---------and ain't no telling what ol' straight laced Roger is thinking ' bout???🤐

DD

• Haha 2

Hopefully you can breathe a little easier now Anson?  Sounds like more of @twostepn2001 stripper posts are in order to get him fired up about things again. I’m not talkin about the cotton on top of the aspirin bottle either....  

I even found this artist rendition of an IH truck with a covered load making its way through some rough terrain. Could this be the perfect disguise for the missing melons?

A buddy of mine has one of these IH trucks.  His family bought three of them surplus at some point after WW2 and used them to feed cattle in the winter. Only one remains. 

A1EF829C-1CB7-4079-A162-82D7046DE380.jpeg

• Like 2
19 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

It says today is Tubacase’s birthday. Happy Birthday Tom. I don’t have a whole lot of Case pictures but I do have this one of my Grandfather on his some time a few decades before I was born. 

EAF61A3B-29FD-46F4-9BDE-7C557397D7DA.png

Thanks for waking me up, Todd! I don't watch birthdays very close anymore. Not even my own! This is my unadulterated official Tubacase photo, of Tom Railsback and a BB flat Tuba posing with our 15 hp Case steam engine. Happy Birthday Tom!

Tom Railsback Tubacase47, 15hp Case 4-21-15.jpg

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

Hopefully you can breathe a little easier now Anson?  Sounds like more of @twostepn2001 stripper posts are in order to get him fired up about things again. I’m not talkin about the cotton on top of the aspirin bottle either....  

I even found this artist rendition of an IH truck with a covered load making its way through some rough terrain. Could this be the perfect disguise for the missing melons?

A buddy of mine has one of these IH trucks.  His family bought three of them surplus at some point after WW2 and used them to feed cattle in the winter. Only one remains. 

A1EF829C-1CB7-4079-A162-82D7046DE380.jpeg

Todd, I sure had a love for these WWII IHC 6X6 or deuce & a half trucks. They seemed like the ultimate in trucks. Whether they're full of Anson's watermelons or not! 😁 

I remember trying to talk Dad into getting one so he could feed cattle in the winter time with it. I've been with him when he shovelled for nearly an hour, trying to get his old K-5 IH truck through drifts on the county road chained up, feeding cattle. While Dad's K-5 wasn't a 6X6, it did have one of these war surplus boxes on back. I remember they bought two or three of them. They used the tarpaulin covers for other jobs. The bows that held them up were kicking around the junk pile forever. Besides Dad's K-5, Uncle Bills and uncle Audie's KB-5's both got one of these truck boxes.

I remember on Bozeman Pass in Gallatin County of Montana, a ranch there had three of these trucks they fed cattle with. Eventually over the years, they one by one disappeared. You could likely  tell that the man who bought them war surplus was long gone, and the younger generations didn't want to work with old junk, so they all went away.

Anyway, I've sure had admiration for these IH 6X6 trucks. I imagine they'd seem like a "gutless wonder" today, but I remember from going from 2 wheel drive pickups to a little 4 wheel drive Jeep, being slow it was still steady and got you through the deep snow, especially when chained up on all four wheels! 

I was hoping to locate this photograph my mom's oldest brother took from "up in the cow pasture.," (where I used to drive the IH Farmall Cub, to get the cows, starting at age 6! [low gear, all the way, however. Dad's orders]). By the quonset was uncle Bill's KB-5 with that Army Surplus truck box mounted. My wagon wheels I'd painted black and white are leaning against the shop. They went to Sharon's and my driveway after we married in April 1963. Below the wagon wheels are the only photo I have of a 1924 Oakland Coupe I once owned. Just to the right of that is a Cleveland Tractor crawler we once owned. The IH side delivery rakes and Farmhand wheel rakes I pulled many, many days with Dad's IH Farmall Super A, are both in that pasture. Dad's 1958 IH A-120 is parked in front of the shop. A derelict "parts" 1924 Model T Ford Coupe is just to the right, in front of Dad's pickup. At the right of the log "old shop" is the 20-70 Nichols & Shepard steam engine I first lit a fire in, in September 1954, 66 years ago. The "Jawbone" Milwaukee Railroad in the bottom of the photo and over the farm buildings (it was a "horseshoe" loop around our farm) is long gone, now. I'd forgotten the nostalgia I'd discover, looking over this photograph. All over Army Surplus truck boxes!  Gary😉

783344689_Yaegerfarmranchcirca1960cropimp.jpg.693261d22211f73b9470de2396712614.jpg

• Like 4

Happy Birthday Tom!!

Gary, what IH rakes are in the picture?  I zoomed in but couldn’t really make out what they are. I got caught with my hand up a couple years ago at an auction and drug home a #15 IH rake. I gave $100 for it and the darn thing just keeps on turning hay.  

8C1D74E5-B2EE-4ACA-9EE0-77D54C5B2DCC.thumb.jpeg.7d5e1a9839d5883f3806e7b94792654f.jpeg

I had to make new bushings after this season for the basket height pivot pins and replace several teeth but I’ve more then gotten my money back on how much ground I’ve covered with that rake.  The frame seems very heavy. 

I found you a kill switch at the parts yard. I walked out of there with a box of goodies and a couple front tires.  I gave a whole $5 for two kill switches and a temp gauge!  Hope they work!  Text me what address you want the switch sent to.

0BBFCA40-7518-44B5-B129-0654DF1F4C44.thumb.jpeg.84c9428091182f2d00e75b93d8e38a75.jpeg

I’m in the process of converting my H to 12 volts. It’s nice to be original but I’m not a fan of replacing 6 volt batteries too often at $100 each when I can get small 12 volt batteries for almost half that. 

8E37C052-19B3-440F-A43C-81251AF276EB.thumb.jpeg.8a213069231030eabe06f8e138baf654.jpeg

I have the alternator mounted, just need to run the wiring. I have a set of LED lights that fit into the original IH light buckets. I put them in my SMTA also and they work great!  I should have this project completed in a day or two. 

• Like 1

Anson tells that young lady:  "I told her I couldn't even spell sex anymore------barely remembered anything about it!!!!🙄"   OK, he may not be feeling up to par . . . but he can still dish out the "BLUE SMOKE" when given an opportunity!

Hang in there my friend!!

• Haha 5
4 minutes ago, MT Matt said:

Happy Birthday Tom!!

Gary, what IH rakes are in the picture?  I zoomed in but couldn’t really make out what they are. I got caught with my hand up a couple years ago at an auction and drug home a #15 IH rake. I gave $100 for it and the darn thing just keeps on turning hay.  

8C1D74E5-B2EE-4ACA-9EE0-77D54C5B2DCC.thumb.jpeg.7d5e1a9839d5883f3806e7b94792654f.jpeg

I had to make new bushings after this season for the basket height pivot pins and replace several teeth but I’ve more then gotten my money back on how much ground I’ve covered with that rake.  The frame seems very heavy. 

I found you a kill switch at the parts yard. I walked out of there with a box of goodies and a couple front tires.  I gave a whole $5 for two kill switches and a temp gauge!  Hope they work!  Text me what address you want the switch sent to.

0BBFCA40-7518-44B5-B129-0654DF1F4C44.thumb.jpeg.84c9428091182f2d00e75b93d8e38a75.jpeg

I’m in the process of converting my H to 12 volts. It’s nice to be original but I’m not a fan of replacing 6 volt batteries too often at $100 each when I can get small 12 volt batteries for almost half that. 

8E37C052-19B3-440F-A43C-81251AF276EB.thumb.jpeg.8a213069231030eabe06f8e138baf654.jpeg

I have the alternator mounted, just need to run the wiring. I have a set of LED lights that fit into the original IH light buckets. I put them in my SMTA also and they work great!  I should have this project completed in a day or two. 

MT Matt, That side delivery rake of yours is identical to the pair I pulled! I saved the photo for old time's sake. Dad built a cart, or something, maybe just a hitch that hooked the two together. I now remember it was a hitch. Because I remember an old IH mower sickle bar being used in place of strap iron.

That was so kind of you to pick up a kill switch on your parts run, Matt. I sent my address and I'll settle up with you after it get it!

I sure hear you about buying 6-volt batteries I use in the Model T Coupe. The last I bought this past fall here in Helena's Northwest Battery & Electric was $71. Before that I was paying around $90+, as I remember? Mike changed his 300 Utility over to 12 volt years ago, for the same reason. I have an extra alternator in the shed with a voltage regulator. I should put it on one of our Farmalls. Our H and M, Annie & Toot, both have 12 volt batteries, but no alternators. Mike or I just put the battery charger on the batteries every once in a while. I'm also cheap enough, if one of these batteries go bad, I take it back to NAPA, trade it in as the core and find a battery they have that still has some go in them. They let me use their sophisticated tester that shows how much life is still in their trade in batteries. I know.... That's really cheap! Annie is pretty much just a plaything. Toot does get used to cultivate or plant. I haven't had to replace one of the batteries I have in them for about 3 years now!

Thanks again for the thoughtfulness and letting me know about the switch, Matt! Gary😁

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Roger Byrne said:

Anson tells that young lady:  "I told her I couldn't even spell sex anymore------barely remembered anything about it!!!!🙄"   OK, he may not be feeling up to par . . . but he can still dish out the "BLUE SMOKE" when given an opportunity!

Hang in there my friend!!

There "ain't no telling what ol' straight laced Roger is thinking ' bout???🤐"  Well, Anson he replied to you. 

When I reminisce that subject, I'm completely lost anymore. All I can recall about sex is that it is the number after Füinf, and the number before Zeben, Jahvühl! But it does bring back an old song for me to practice on the squeezebox. "Try To Remember..." from 1982. Gary 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That is a number 15 IH side delevery rake

Anson, glad to hear your home and i hope your doing much, much better by now.

• Like 2

Hop this don't upset DD too much and get his 'ol ticker all messed up again. But l was just goofin' around and got a picture of a UFO on tape...... Now l might get to be a big star on the history channel or the travel channel on TV........

ufo on tape..JPG

• Haha 4

Steel wheel side delivery rake:

I have a ground drive steel wheel side delivery rake with the large front spoke wheels distorted from their original circle.  Got pushed up with an old stack of hay years ago------good yard ornament with decent shaped wheels.

Any of our blacksmith's got any ideas on straightening them back into a circle.  Have wondered about anchoring one side and pulling opposite with a come along.  Gradually working around the circle small segments at a time?

Will try to snap some pictures.

Several years ago------someone here accused Roger and myself of inventing Blue Smoke.  I made the statement at the time that statement was not true----we only helped perfect it.

Based on the picture of the UFO on tape--------could be that there is a new champion in town!!!!😂  (rumor is that he hangs out around the Booger Creek Gin)

DD

20170729_164804.jpg

20170409_164301.jpg

20140518_162607.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Might be able to use some heat and a press to push your spokes back in place DD. Depends on the size and material they are made of I guess?  I will put things into my old Weaver Hi-Speed manual press and use leverage to straighten them from time to time. 

cursed photobucket won’t let me save my images any more.  They just want money for things that used to be free and I’m not going to do it.  That’s why I had to use a screen shot...

83B31202-8E88-415E-8F64-45B12AF492D2.png

• Like 1

Had pulled these pics of Jerome Increase CASE tractors located on a Mississippi farm for Tuba Case' birthday.  Somehow they showed up in my last post (unrelated).

Anyway------here's to TUBA!!!

2090 with Case field cultivator 

20140518_162607.thumb.jpg.6cac6c8d383c73f7a80514488036566f.jpg.bdbeab4ea4a3a787fa47ce484119b453.jpg

2090 with heavy TOWNER offset disk

20170409_164301.thumb.jpg.effcc2ea609b4c7e5332d2affe53f867.jpg.6448f536bcb98da65ea74ab3a135f4a0.jpg

CASE model K23 disk harrow. (originally 23 ft------I removed wings------now cuts 13 ft)

20170729_164804.thumb.jpg.bf51efaa1a741ebb2f0ebe1185e23392.jpg.feef82770fcf135339a7c06e790d1ca8.jpg

Equipment used primarily for wildlife food plots

DD

• Like 3

Two Steppin, That's  a neat photo you put of the Ford dealer  For a little while there, in Garys photo, I thought those Ford tractors may have been watermelons.  LOL

I noticed some machines in this photo that we used early in the 50s and 60s for thinning cotton.  They are a Dixie Cotton Chopper.  They are in the bottom right hand corner of this photo.  It looks like there are 8 of them.  The ones we used were a little earlier model I believe.  They take two rows and an operator sat on a seat and you could steer them with pedals with your feet.  Basically you steer them off the row a little bit if the row came to a skippy spot. we called  these machines cotton choppers but the dixie co. called them a hoe, a better name may have been cotton thinners.  Back in the early days farmers planted gin run seed, just as it came from the gin.  Since the germination was not known cotton was generally planted very thick and then later you would come along with either hand hoes (it was called blocking cotton as the blade of a hand hoe was about 6" so you would 'block out' about 6" and leave maybe 2".  Then these machines came out, the Dixie Cotton Choppers and they were ground driven with a four blade spider like spokes in a wheel with a flagged blade that was spiral shaped rounded as if it were a wheel.  The Dixie Cotton Choppers we used, Dad put a  bar across the draw bar and we pulled two, two- row cotton choppers.  I believe ours were earlier design than these and they used a short piece of 4x4 wood in the tongue and Dad put a longer piece in one machine because this allowed one set of wheels  to run in the same middle, one chopper slightly behind the other.  

EK Hufstedler Tractor.jpg

Here are a couple of photos of the earlier model that we used.  You can see the clamped blade that you could adjust for width of  cut (blank) out the row.  Today, seed basically is sold by the count.  The bags have the weight of the bag but it also tells you on the bag how many seeds are inside, so you plant it correctly to a stand.  Anson I hope your feeling better.

173976468_DixieCottonChopper.jpg.671be84e2bbe739eabdb4a70462c9f37.jpg 1349725557_DixieCottonChopper2.jpg.bdf24833d71e219a865d4662940eb2f1.jpg

• Like 2
9 hours ago, twostepn2001 said:

Hop this don't upset DD too much and get his 'ol ticker all messed up again. But l was just goofin' around and got a picture of a UFO on tape...... Now l might get to be a big star on the history channel or the travel channel on TV........

ufo on tape..JPG

twostepn2001, That's a neat flying saucer you caught on tape. You're more of a newcomer here than some old duffers like Anson and Roger. First, I was a world class skeptic about UFO's and especially flying saucers. I haven't posted it for 7 or so years, but when I lived in Whitefish, Montana, I went to the Kentucky Friend Chicken store every afternoon I worked, to have coffee with my old GNRY retired coffee friends who used to railroad during the days of steam. I was sitting looking at Big Mountain, the local ski mountain now called Whitefish Mountain. I saw the brightest thing I'd ever seen in my life, but it wasn't a light. It looked ten times brighter than polished chrome. It had approached this area from Canada. I remarked to the coffee guys, "There's a UFO" coming over Big Mountain... Haw, haw, haw...! After it crested the mountain, it started a descent and was moving lower with the darkness of the mountain behind it. It was only about 3 or 4 miles away now. As it approached the town of Whitefish, it took a movement (turn) to the left or west.  It kept coming until it took a hover over Whitefish Lake. It was about 4 blocks from us. I'd guess it's width at 25-30 feet? And it was about 200 feet above the water. We'd all gotten up and went outside. The four of us drinking coffee and I alerted the owners, the cook and his wife. We all 6 watched that thing hover for at least 3  minutes. It never quivered one bit. As still as could be. No noise whatsoever. Then all of a sudden, it went upward easterly, but mostly straight up. It went faster than a bullet could travel, as within about 2 seconds, it was completely out of Earth's atmosphere. Of course on June 30, 1991, few people had a (brick) cell phone and they sure didn't have cameras. Besides we didn't have one. The next day, the headlines of this UFO were on the center front page of the Kalispell Daily Interlake newspaper. So we weren't the only ones to observe it, as someone else reported exactly what I (we) saw. At first I was afraid we'd end up seeing the "pilot!" Then later, I was disappointed we didn't get to see the "pilot" and crew. All of those old GNRY guys have passed on. Just the cook, his wife, and me can reminisce about that day. I did turn the sighting in to NUFORC. It's on the internet. NUFORC stands for National UFO Reporting Center. I would have MUCH rather not seen it and have been able to remain a skeptic. Here is a photo from the internet. It is shaped a lot like the one at Whitefish Lake.  The one we saw had more of a rounded "cabin" below, more matching the upper bulge. (Its shape reminded me of a pair of cymbals, one on top of the other.) It appeared like there were windows of some sort in that lower cabin. I had always wished I'd had my Canon AE-1 Program 35 mm camera with its zoom lens mounted and film in it. But I didn't. So, twostepn2001, I wasn't able to catch the one I saw "on tape!" And I didn't have a smart phone with a camera, like I now do. Gary😶

1692203121_UFOFlyingSaucerlikewesawoverWhitefishLake.jpg.3e52cf61338107ea22ce858ea1f674bc.jpg

• Like 2

Fred----

Good eye on the Dixie Cotton Chopper.  I was concentrating on the Graham Hoeme chisel plows that I didn't notice "THE HOEs".

My dad had 2 of the Graham Hoeme chisel plows with the armstrong lift.  Plows are long gone------but I have a hand full of spring shanks in my junk collection.  Graham Hoeme was very popular over here in the Delta-----wonder what else they manufactured?

Worth noting:  THE HOE implement should not be confused with "Joe and the Hoe" currently running for offiice.

DD

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Anson, Those Graham Hoeme chisel plows were very common in central Montana in the late 1940's and early 1950's.

Tubacase47 has been unable to get onto Red Power to participate with us fellers. When he tries to get on, it says the email address belongs to someone else, I guess? Anyway, he's unable to thank everyone for the birthday wishes, so I'm doing it for him!  Gary😉

PS: This painting below is done by my friend Dr. Robert T. Rhode, one of the best steam engine identifiers and students of the English language in the USA. He and my friend John F. Spalding wrote and produced the finest steam book to date on steam traction engines. Steam Tractor Encyclopedia is a superb coffee table book only using ancient photos. It is a New York Times Best Seller for a niche subject. It just happens he painted this picture and added the "Happy Birthday Tom" for another friend of ours, Reverend Tom Olsen, who posts in the Iron Age magazine, along with me and others. Iron Age magazine is the finest quarterly steam traction engine magazine in America as well. 

1603767756_BobRobertRhodepaintingof50hpCasetoTomOlsonforbirthday9-15-18.thumb.jpg.31d94b9c2cb1da9dfb9cb36564af276a.jpg

I had not seen the Professors report on the near capture of him by the UFO crew when I posted on the Graham Hoeme plows.

But in following up on Gary's story-----some number of years ago; there were two men from down on the Gulf Coast (Biloxi, Ms area) that claimed that they had been abducted and taken aboard a UFO.  I did not know the captured pair------but did know the attorney representing them (Joe Colingo).

Don't know what whiskey these boys drank-------but do know my old fraternity brother (Joe Colingo) preferred brown whiskey.

Their story made quite a splash in the news at the time.😏

Brown whiskey is brown-------and coffee is brown.  I am wondering if there is some connection here???😉

I am going ahead and sleep in my hip boots tonight--------the "smoke" might be deep here tomorrow!!!!

While I can't sleep-----think I will Google Joe Colingo and see what I find.

DD

• Haha 1

On Google I typed in:

Joe Colingo attorney----space aliens

And pulled up several articles relating to the encounter near Pascagoula, Ms.

Is their any subject that we have not wandered off into on this thread???

DD

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, Delta Dirt said:

l remember watching something about that on TV several years ago. Older guy and his nephew...l think. l could off on a wild rant about what does flying saucers and ghosts have to do with the Travel Channel? Or what does a bunch of fat guys running a pawn shop have to do with history? But l digress here.....

Here is another ad pic from the EK Hufstedler Ford tractor dealer in Lubbock,Texas. l think just about every tractor dealer in this region had Graham-Hoeme plows as a short line. About 7 or 8 years ago, l bought a pull type with the intentions of "restoring" it and going to a few local plow days and use my 664 to pull it. But before l had a chance to even go pick it up, a feller offered me nearly double what l paid for it so l let him have it.

Graham-Hoeme plow.JPG

hoeme4sale1.jpg

0516111236.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
19 hours ago, Delta Dirt said:

On Google I typed in:

Joe Colingo attorney----space aliens

Is their any subject that we have not wandered off into on this thread???

DD

Seems I remember a notable squirrel from Pascagoula, as well...

• Haha 2

Seeing all of the little Fords on the lot reminded me of Mr. Hub James with the local Ferguson dealer (and on into the Massey Ferguson days) sales presentation of why the Ferguson would pull more than a little Ford.

The way Mr. Hub explained it-----the Fords were just pulling from the two lower links---------while the Ferguson (with its draft control system) was pulling from the two lower links and pushing with the top link!!!!

Makes sense to me????   Anyway they sold lots of the Fergusons here at Greenville.

DD

• Like 4