Old Binder Guy

IH Tractors on Montana Farm

my doctor came up with an idea, instead of shaking hands, he thinks we should fist bump.    👊  😃    Fred

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One of our pastors advocated not shaking hands during cold and flu season.

I was feeling kinda off last Thursday and decided to stay home from work and try to "head it off" by Saturday when my wife talked me into going to the walk in clinic i was told i had a fever of 102, ox level of 89 and liquid on my right lung. A breathing treatment made lung sound better and brought me back to 97.  Doc didnt admitt me , which i was just as happy he didnt, but gave me prescription for an inhaler and antibiotics. Went to work Monday which was probably a mistake, but im slowly working my way back. Dont get what i got and hang in there Gary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Isn't that a Ford cab over in the Moline picture Gary???

DD

Anson, It could be, but I was thinking it was something else? Maybe a company at that time that build semi trucks. I'm not real good on them. Like a Freightliner or something. It's that big square cab that made me think it wasn't a Ford. Gary 😉

14 hours ago, ray54 said:

Old AC crawler model K here that has been converted to butane. I believe the tank has a date of 1936,guess I need to go look soon. Most of the bigger AC crawlers were converted to LP. The hybrid diesel with spark plugs was not the best fuel choice from all I ever heard. Only knew of one K out of 10 to 20 I have seen ran diesel. But just because the tank was new in the 30's I guess does not mean it went on the tractor new. It had issues as my kids say,and it got so butane was not available. An nobody wanted to put propane in a low pressure butane tank. So that was the end of its use.

Gary hope the bug is a mild one. The little 2 and 5 year old grandkids been sniffling,and I knew they gave it to me. But so far only a morning or 2 of being stopped up. So I hope the good bugs are revved up to kill the bad and don't get the nasty stuff. 

ray54, I'm lousy on Allis Chalmers crawlers. The only ones I've ever been around were the Mehmke's and Tyler's in Montana. Mehmke's do have this Model K with it's double stacks parked alongside a USMC WWII IH TD-18 with double stacks. (That TD-18 is an IH Tractor on a Montana Farm too!) I can't remember if Tylers also had a Model K, but I can't find a photo of one.

349074789_KAllisChalmersTD-18IH8-27-16.thumb.JPG.a380ef159dfbbf450cf42b9626fba652.JPG

Mehmke's have (had?) this 75 Monarch crawler, that was a predecessor to the Allis Chalmers line.

1791088747_75MonarchcrawlerMehmkeMuseum(pre-AllisChalmers).thumb.JPG.5b58e1f2168af4a4fdffdfe1cfc113c8.JPG

I took this photo one time of the Monarch and the Allis Chalmers crawlers with their steering wheels.

1174217412_AllisChalmersMonarchcrawlersteeringwheels.thumb.jpg.fcd521ccdfa9cf4c4a4aa526aabe0f4f.jpg

The Tylers had farmed with Caterpillars since the lat 1930's, but used an Allis Chalmers wheel tractor for other tasks around their farm. This is a picture of their tractor pulling their John Deere (Formerly Holt) Combine across Olson Creek on their farm during harvest.

1449819588_TylersmovingJohnDeerecombinewithAllisChalmerstractoracrossOlsonCreek.thumb.jpg.bb91cacb20ad9fd6914b589afc21373f.jpg

This is an earlier Allis Chalmers wheel tractor they have.

1198955064_15-25Allis-Chalmers1930.thumb.jpg.573d9c105c346ac4274ae59f2d5627b6.jpg

The Tylers always had an affinity to Allis Chalmers, even if they were inferior to Caterpillar! This is a 35 AC crawler that still had the steering wheel.

1090198432_35Allis-Chalmerswithsteeringwheel1931red.jpg.a9505c01158206e91f89771d09a88026.jpg

This AC Crawler is an S? My information says 72 hp Allis Chalmers 1939, only 1225 made. Obviously that is a Monarch, parked beside it. I don't have a picture of it.

934281659_72hpAllis-Chalmers1939only1225made.thumb.jpg.15f675ea2d958918078160d7039dc439.jpg

And last, but not least, is this large AC, LO gas start diesel. I've heard they're hard starters, but I don't know. I'm guessing the LO was introduced as competition for the D-7 Cat and the IH TD-18? 

1303337567_LOAllis-Chalmersgasstartdiesel1934.thumb.jpg.a389c85ac82652e366b379bb6dc70c50.jpg

This is the spark plug they used to reach in far enough to ignite the gasoline. Max Tyler gave me this plug for my spark plug collection. Gary😉

2059771060_SparkPluglongreachforAllisChalmersLO.thumb.jpg.ce672e4f441f142cfece3c51f291db8c.jpg

You seem well informed for not knowing much. I know nothing about the Monarch. What the old times always told me the only difference in the k,L,ans S to the HD7,HD10,and HD14 was the engine was replaced with Detroit Diesel  3-71,4-71,and 6-71. For what ever reason the the L and S all disappeared,but a lot of M's and a fair amount of K's still around.  I do not know of any one running a K but several are in local collectors with them. But still a few M's running to do the yearly weed clean up on small country ranchettes.

Since the early K's had one post and the cross bar,I believe the old times called it  tiller steering lever. I think the steer clutches were the same just different linkage to activate.So I  would guess the steering wheel ones were the same,but only a guess.

My family was a big fan of the Holt combine design as my dad and uncle ran a Jd 36 b until 80 or 81. They would run right with a  IH 403H,JD 95H,and the Gleaner CH.There was another family that used a IH 51,and 3 or 4 JD 36 b's until the finally bought 2 or 3 new JD 6622's. To retire by putting everything they owned in the CRP program 2 years later.

• Thanks 1

quote:  Ray 54

"Nobody wanted to put propane in a low pressure  butane tank"

I can remember those days------but those old tanks sure made good bar-b-que grills!!!

I've got several old 200 psi tanks laying around-----need to check the dates on some of them.  (might be interesting)

Fred------fill us in more on using the hot water heater tank for butane.

Re:   his homemade welding helmet

I can remember seeing alot of "handheld" face shields (factory produced) for welding------but never a homemade as you described.  (proof-----where there is a will-----there is a way!!)

DD

7 hours ago, Old Binder Guy said:

Isn't that a Ford cab over in the Moline picture Gary???

DD

Anson, It could be, but I was thinking it was something else? Maybe a company at that time that build semi trucks. I'm not real good on them. Like a Freightliner or something. It's that big square cab that made me think it wasn't a Ford. Gary 😉

I usually can't add anything to your steam information, but I'll weigh in to say it looks like a Ford.  That cab isn't as square as it looks broadside.  The semi guys didn't start the big cabs until after the war.  Here's another 38 Ford for comparison.

Howard

Image result for 1938 ford coe truck

OBG, I noticed that the USMC TD-18 has enough seating to carry a whole squad!

• Haha 1

Anson, As to the hot water heater tanks, I'm not sure what kind of tanks they were.  They just said they were hot water heater tanks.  Could have been some kind of industrial tanks.  This guy was a first class tinkerer.  He was not a jughead.  He knew what he was doing.  He would scour the scrap yards in Corpus Christi, as did I some times.  I was friends with his sons.  We built dune buggies for Padre Island til the dune huggers put a stop to all that.  This guy was a builder of Rust cotton pickers.  He would rework the two row machines.  I think he put tandem picker units on one using four picker units for two rows.  He came up with new spindle designs and had some built .  As far as the face shield, I don't know what the deal was there.  I always used two hands, one to hold the piece together, and one to weld it.  

Fred

quote from Fred:

"I always used two hands, one to hold the piece together, and one to weld it".

Uhhhh-------Fred that story would be much more impressive if you said that you used one hand for the ground!!!!😂

Howard P--------that's the type cab over Ford I remember.  Had no idea they dated back that far.  But can remember a few being around when I was a kid (born in 1943).

DD

• Like 1

Since this is the old codgers thread----

I will go ahead and post a Christmas card that is sorta appropriate for all of us------especially us old codgers.

We received this card from an older friend many years ago----saved it and set it out with the Christmas cards each year.

20191220_214818.thumb.jpg.a0088473ff4864dea779fefc34433d0e.jpg

20191220_214438.thumb.jpg.36d6f3280b99d7e0c816ed0d669ed378.jpg

Looks like Christmas is slipping up on us again-------coming pretty fast.

DD

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MT Matt said:

Gary, how did the steering work on the crawlers with a steering wheel?  Have you ever operated one?

MT Matt, I'm assuming the Monarch and Allis Chalmers worked the same way a Cleveland Tractor Company crawler worked I used to own? (Cleveland Tractor later shortened their name to "Cletrac.") It was derelict, but you could tell by moving the steering wheel from one direction to the other, it stopped at about a quarter turn, either side. I couldn't tell you if it released the clutch AND locked the brake, but that's the way it felt. I don't have a picture of it, but I have others. This is what the whole tractor looked like I had.

1490359810_ClevelandTractorcatalog.thumb.jpg.e427e0dc1861cc1e97e39c93b5837c8e.jpg

Except that mine missed the radiator. It did have the firewall and gas tank, this one doesn't show.

96389274_Clevelandtractorengineincatalogcrop.thumb.jpg.d9995994c8107b296c49e0f920d39271.jpg

This is a schematic of the steering system. It'd have to be similar to the others? Gary🤔

2021935024_ClevelandTractorsteeringsystem.thumb.jpg.795136cde4607f4a6e06ad3142e8624d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/19/2019 at 7:47 PM, Howard_P said:

I usually can't add anything to your steam information, but I'll weigh in to say it looks like a Ford.  That cab isn't as square as it looks broadside.  The semi guys didn't start the big cabs until after the war.  Here's another 38 Ford for comparison.

Howard

Image result for 1938 ford coe truck

980395095_FordCOETruckmaybe.jpg.f57ade140661e708b1578ca72e108c33.jpg

Howard, I hate to disagree but the 1936-38 Ford COE Cabs are different than the one hauling the M&M tractor. I can't tell you what it is, but I am reasonably certain it is not a Ford. Notice the wide "wing" behind the fender on this, with the second step.

The Ford has the rib that runs alongside the grille, where it turns into three ribs. before getting to the door. The fenders are more full on the front side, on the Ford, but lack that rear "wing" of the above truck. The fresh air side vents are much larger on the Ford. The Ford cab is rounder on top and the door's windows are rounder on top than the other truck.472847129_FordCOETruckwrecker1936.thumb.jpg.0d2f44ac58eb43d2f870d725db6b8e4e.jpg

This is a 1948 Ford COE. The cabs are the same, The "hood" and grille are different. I chose this because it was a side view.

949241845_FordCOETruck1948.JPG.ebe6da917a5cb7673bdab8380f7de3ba.JPG

That truck hauling the M&M isn't a Studebaker, but I put this Stude here to show the Squareness of this cab and the tops of the doors window openings are straight, rather than the slight bow of the Ford. This is  a square cab top, just like the M&M hauler. I still don't know what the M&M hauler is, but I'm positive it's not a Ford. Gary😉

331011588_fordCoedidntbuildthisStudebaker.jpg.c98cb272897020c3d18143469179a3e1.jpg

PS: I only put this Pepsi Ford COE Truck here to even up the soft drink thing!

1989264249_FordCOETruckPepsitruck.jpg.ded4cda09a14a545f0dc013a4b5b2a6e.jpg

• Like 1

So coke is democrat,  and pepsi is republican ? i really don't like that ford grill,   however if it were turned horizontal you might have a buick, except for no exhaust ports. 😀           that MM loaded truck has a Federal look about it ?

• Confused 1

Years ago I delivered seed to a family that had been a MM dealer. The boys were probably in their early 60’s and their father was in his 80’s. He had a COE truck much like the ones shown here sitting in an open faced shed rotting down.  It had been their delivery truck at one time. I don’t know the year and have no pictures but I do Remember Ford badges on that one. Seeing these postings the other day instantly brought back the memory of that truck even before I read the post. I find it ironic that they both happened to be COE trucks and MM dealers like that. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Fred B said:

So coke is democrat,  and pepsi is republican ? i really don't like that ford grill,   however if it were turned horizontal you might have a buick, except for no exhaust ports. 😀           that MM loaded truck has a Federal look about it ?

Fred B, I don't know about the Coke - Pepsi thing being political? I have a few ornery thoughts churning around inside my head about one of those political entities. But I'll not go there, now, with this bunch; even if we are sitting around a table in the coffee shop, having our morning coffee.

I like your "Federal" idea! I knew there was some sort of correlation between the M&M delivery truck to "the semi world." And "Federal" taps on what I was thinking. I went to the internet and couldn't find any COE Federal trucks of that era. I did find a standard truck that sure reminded me of an old guy who had a Federal "pickup" in my younger years. That pickup had to be a one ton "pickup." This photo shows either a 1 ton or larger. His didn't have duals on the rear.  Gary😉

1863919503_FederaltruckpickuponhighwaysimilartopickupinLewistownorWhitefish.thumb.jpg.958f34a34cfdbb2a9a76a903fd40b36a.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Old Binder Guy said:

Howard, I hate to disagree but the 1936-38 Ford COE Cabs are different than the one hauling the M&M tractor. I can't tell you what it is, but I am reasonably certain it is not a Ford. Notice the wide "wing" behind the fender on this, with the second step.

You've convinced me.  Now to figure out what is is.

4 hours ago, Howard_P said:

You've convinced me.  Now to figure out what is is.

I was going to leave the "figure out" up to you Howard_P! I don't know where to start looking. I guess, I have bigger fish to fry, or it seems in my mind? I know the internet is big, but I get lost there so easily. That truck may just have to go on being an Unidentified Freighting Object? It wouldn't be the first UFO I've seen! Gary😀 

I think it’s a 1937 GM COE. Step matches, grille looks to match, headlights match. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

I think it’s a 1937 GM COE. Step matches, grille looks to match, headlights match. 

Todd, I sure can't argue or refute your information. That's good enough for me. Gary😉

• Thanks 1

On 12/20/2019 at 11:53 PM, Fred B said:

Let me explain.  Here is a history quote on Buick that I saw here.  https://www.macsmotorcitygarage.com/buick-portholes-a-10-minute-history/

In Buick lore, portholes came to be when noted General Motors stylist Ned Nickles designed and installed a set of round fender vents on his personal 1948 Roadmaster. As the story goes, Nickles incorporated small electric lamps (probably neon or similar) wired to the ignition system so they would flash in sequence with the engine. Reportedly, he was inspired by the flashing exhaust pipes on World War II fighter aircraft. No one knew it at the time, but at that moment a Buick styling trademark was born.

There is more information at the link above.  

(Actually, I thought the port holes were from the race cars of the 1940s. )

1949-Buick-Roadmaster-Convertible-.jpg

Here is my thought on the truck with MMs.  

Here is a REO truck with what I believe is the correct cab but it appears to have an add on sleeper and remove sunvisor, mirror, ect.  But if you'll compare the features of the wheel wells and the side molding and the door cut out, they appear to match above MM truck.  This REO truck looks like it could have been an old fire engine with a pump thru the front grill.  It looks like someone has rigged it up to pull a camping trailer.  

Image result for REO COE trucks

BTW, I just read that somewhere that the pepsi brand is looked looked upon as republican and the coke brand is democrat.  

On 12/22/2019 at 2:25 PM, Fred B said:

Let me explain.  Here is a history quote on Buick that I saw here.  https://www.macsmotorcitygarage.com/buick-portholes-a-10-minute-history/

In Buick lore, portholes came to be when noted General Motors stylist Ned Nickles designed and installed a set of round fender vents on his personal 1948 Roadmaster. As the story goes, Nickles incorporated small electric lamps (probably neon or similar) wired to the ignition system so they would flash in sequence with the engine. Reportedly, he was inspired by the flashing exhaust pipes on World War II fighter aircraft. No one knew it at the time, but at that moment a Buick styling trademark was born.

There is more information at the link above.  

(Actually, I thought the port holes were from the race cars of the 1940s. )

1949-Buick-Roadmaster-Convertible-.jpg

Here is my thought on the truck with MMs.  

Here is a REO truck with what I believe is the correct cab but it appears to have an add on sleeper and remove sunvisor, mirror, ect.  But if you'll compare the features of the wheel wells and the side molding and the door cut out, they appear to match above MM truck.  This REO truck looks like it could have been an old fire engine with a pump thru the front grill.  It looks like someone has rigged it up to pull a camping trailer.  

Image result for REO COE trucks

BTW, I just read that somewhere that the pepsi brand is looked looked upon as republican and the coke brand is democrat.  

Fred B, my friend, you've hit the nail on the head. The grille, the square door window top, the flair of the fender with its extra step, the side vent. That's it! REO it is! Thank you for the detective work Fred! 

And I didn't know that history about the Buick Portholes. That's interesting. Gary😀

• Like 1

Before I forget to, I wanted to post this Christmas post for my friends on Red Power Coffee Shop. I enjoy each and every one of you throughout the year.

2129470730_75hpCaseChristmasCardebay.jpg.c5c9efdd6e7851a1a102208c426cc76b.jpg

This is the Christmas card Mom's photographer brother Bob did for our family in 1952. 

1609522609_ChristmasCardca1950UncleBobHamilton.thumb.jpg.b5187d057363fb16d75c86546310c0f6.jpg

I always loved this Roy Glessner cartoon from the early Iron Men Album steam magazine.

28478531_LeRoyGlessnerSantaCasesteamenginecartoononroof.thumb.jpg.9f4370ec2eac47efeb6ade4fe593f8a0.jpg

Santa Claus used to be driven around with this Model M JI Case Touring Car. He's since moved up in the world.

1628640691_1913ModelMJICaseTouringCarSantaClausChristmasdeliveryKenReimers.thumb.jpg.7a81d17486efbedf066f0f276067610b.jpg

Santa got side tracked in Montana.

540789919_MeanwhileinMontanaSantaClausfishinginariverChristmas.jpg.260ba23f0f41abfc3e1f0eca93bd9fdf.jpg

I guess he got tangled up on some wind farm though.

160300665_Iwasafraidthiswouldhappen.SantaClaussleighandreindeertangledupinwindmillchristmas.thumb.jpg.8a369913a713895a1700e56790e9c0a0.jpg

This is the real reason for CHRISTmas though. God sent his Son to earth as a propitiation for our sins. Sin separated us, but Jesus gives us back an eternity in Heaven with God. I'm so thankful for this.

513279630_JesusChrististhereasonfortheseasonJosephMaryGod.thumb.jpg.5bf1af0b87ae7dc3097e87a393b4ee6d.jpg

172571337_Thisistheseason(EvergreenWreath)andthisisthereasonJesusChristsCrownofthorns.thumb.jpg.b10eacf19052613f6d11a8c0255e0e3a.jpg

And it wouldn't be complete without an IH Tractor on a Montana Farm, would it. Merry Christmas, Gary😉

1210234373_IH1256insnowclothes.jpg.3ddfa990b81856bc3de7d7dd3f45e80f.jpg

• Like 4

Thank you for Christmas greetings Gary. Thank you for so freely sharing your steam knowledge with all of us. I have learned a lot about the steam power from your sharing here.

So may you have a blessed and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

• Thanks 1