IH Tractors on Montana Farm

Old Binder Guy

I look forward to meeting you Gary. 

One of my goals each year is to goto a tractor/threshing show that I've never been too. This year I have so far been to 2 new shows and plan on going to 2 new ones in September. 

The first two pictures are from the Northern Illinois Steam Show in Sycamore, Illinois. The next two is from the Maumee Valley Steam show in New Haven, Indiana and last is a couple of pictures of the 765 Steam Locomotive at Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Museum. The first is the only running Dain tractor made by John Deere . 

20180811_134053.jpg

20180811_100130.jpg

20180818_153051.jpg

20180818_151931(0).jpg

20180818_145956.jpg

20180818_142354.jpg

Matt, you may already know this,but there is a show between Kalispell and Columbia Falls a week from this coming Saturday and Sunday. I plan on being there as I have to pick up an LA Case for a young man in Texas. I'll probably be wearing a white CASE ball cap. 

Lol. Dad did most of his collecting in about 15 years. He retired from the military and from his head custodian job at the school about the same time. He had his boiler license, I wonder if that is around here somewhere. Your son Mike and my father likely crossed paths at some point in the Montana National Guard. He was the motor sergeant (MSG E-8) for the supply and transportation unit in Missoula. Retired in September 1999. I think there was an armor unit there at one time but I could be wrong.  I joined with him in 1990 while in high school but I was a constuction engineer and moved to Missouri for college. I finished with 22 years in the National Guard and two deployments. Went to Iraq and Afghanistan.  Anyways, ask your son if he ran into an old guy named Eisenbacher if you think of it. Maybe he did by chance. 

Dad liked auction sales and any thrift shop. Also, people would bring him all of their old stuff to get running and add to the collection.  So it was a community effort in a way. Many things from his farm growing up are in there also. He’d grind wheat for cereal using his parent’s grinder that was their wedding present in 1925. The farm water jack is in there. So many things are in there. 

Your guess about the TT and how it was put together is as good as any.  I can say it is a model T truck. That’s about it. Lol

i just moved back home in early July so I need to get plugged into the different events around here and where.  It’s been very busy here at the farm with just getting things in shape and operational again.  But I’m gaining.  When is the show in Missoula?

Congratulations on your successful surgery and recovery!

Glad to see you are feeling up to instructing us some more Gary! 

Matt looks and sounds like your father had quite a collection of nice stuff. Even cooler that a lot has family history as well as the community effort.

Would be fun to go to the show and see the 150hp case in person but too much going on here to get away for me.

Matt, If your dad was longtime in the Missoula unit, Mike had to know him. When Mike was a 1st Lt. he was a platoon leader in the Missoula armored unit and had the best team in Montana at the time. His crew loved him, according to him. He went through three years of Army as a Huey & OH-58 helicopter crew chief, returning to the U of M and ROTC as a Sergeant. Because he'd been enlisted before becoming an officer, he understood both sides. One time when his tank unit was on maneuvers, they threw a track in mud. They maneuvered the tank to dryer ground. He asked for his coveralls and necessary tools. He got under the tank, did his stuff and they got the track back on. He said, they so admired him after that, that they'd do just about anything he asked. He then came to Helena and was full-time at Ft. Harrison for 22 years. I think he has a total of 33 years now? He spent 2008 in Afghanistan, commanding an embedded unit of Montana Army NG, US Marines, Navy corpsmen and an Afghan Kandak (battalion).

Mike has blessed me with a great little farm to play on and a fantastic shop to hang junk and photos all over the place. Plus he's taking his old man to Andover for his 75th birthday present.  Gary?

• Like 1

Glad to have you in our class  MT Matt.

If you haven't already picked up on the facts:

This is Gary's thread-------he is known as the Professor.  (knows most everything)

Then there is Roger------he is known as the University.  (knows absolutely everything-------really does)

And------then there are us students.  We are just glad to be here.  I have forgotten most of what I have learned------but Gary let's me continue to monitor the class out of courtesy since he and I have the same date of manufacture (1943)!!!!!?

Looks like the toy room has plenty of items for us to study.  Don't be bashful about posting pictures.

Delta Dirt  Avon Ms   38723

• Like 1

Thanks for the instruction card Delta Dirt. I am more then happy to follow along and learn from the masters. I’m just a young whipper-snapper (I’ll be 47 in four days) but seem to like doing things the older way. And maybe a little harder but I feel like the results are better when you get there the long way.  I hope I can meaningfully contribute to Gary’s thread.

Maybe in the next couple of days I’ll wander out to the Toy House and post a photo of something I don’t know a thing about and isn’t tagged.  Lots to choose from.

Gary, I had a platoon leader in Iraq the same way as your son. He will be taking command of my former battalion this December.  He was also prior enlisted and knew how to work alongside the troops.  Your son had a very accomplished career.

Here’s my accomplishment for the day. I fanned my meager pile of oats.  I think I got nearly as much chaff and weeds as oats. I cut it as short as I could to get the maximum amount of straw. The Bulldog fanning mill did a good job. I kept a drum of the tailings for my chickens and gave the rest to a friend for his birds. Even the leftovers have a purpose.  So I don’t get kicked out of class, I used my Farmall M to load the mill into the trailer, which is an IH tractor on a Montana farm. 

62012315-A488-40E8-A031-36F7E64D3480.jpeg

BC3C4A35-F9C3-483E-BDEC-1D2F49BA7562.jpeg

• Like 2

Nice pictures and stories MT Matt. Don't feel like you are the youngest follower around. I've been sitting in class for a while and at 35 feel like I would prefer things the "older way" also. Keep up with the pictures. We all enjoy them. You may get a bonus if you stump the professor on a tool. ?

PS. Thank you for your service 

• Like 1

The multiple tractors are always interesting, no matter the color. The JD cab looks like it’s from one of the four wheel drive models. I had one that I pushed through miles of dirt in my sandbox as a kid. Maybe the builder took some of the ideas of the articulating version and used it on the trio of 830s.  Lots of ingenuity to put multiples together and be able to control everything. 

Thanks for the try Gary. Digging around here on the farm, I found what appears to be another upright engine in an old bus we have. I need to look closely at each and see if they are the same or if there are any distinguishing marks on either. 

Since we are in the guessing mode, here is a tool from the shed that has no tag and I’m not sure what it was used for. It appears to be able to clamp down on pipe but it is smooth inside the ring. Anyone have any ideas?

3406B3C3-AF94-4F00-893E-1B3A994B9A42.jpeg

897DE250-E514-46E9-81FA-5E36CD10FB08.jpeg

AE4D6E04-08B8-4809-A733-5DBDB6B9F35C.jpeg

MT Matt, I know walnuts don't grow that big, so I am no help with that tool. Your dad must have been like me. If there is a tool in a junk store that I don't know what it is, so I ask the owner and he/she doesn't know, I'll likely go home with it! The tools I can identify have lost some luster! It's always fun to ask someone else what they are and usually get a puzzled look! The one below, with the clawhammer is probably my most recent one?  Gary?

A whatzit what is it from ReStore 6-30-18.jpg

A whatzit what is it from ReStore3, 6-30-18.jpg

Well what you have there is obvious since I live near the Flathead Valley now.  That’s a very early cherry pitter prototype!

Ok, really I have no idea. Lol. And I’m positive Dad grabbed up any unknown tool. I’ve seen him do it. 

Can you school me on claw hammers?  What to look for, what’s distinguishing and makes the older ones stand out from newer models?  Thanks!

1 hour ago, MT Matt said:

Can you school me on claw hammers?  What to look for, what’s distinguishing and makes the older ones stand out from newer models?  Thanks!

That is an early Estwing claw hammer. Metal shaft with stacked leather washer handle. The earliest ones I believe had no white rings. They still make high quality hammers. Otherwise lots of companies made claw hammers with straight and curved claws. Many times the brand dictates value more than features from what I've seen. 

6 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

That is an early Estwing claw hammer. Metal shaft with stacked leather washer handle. The earliest ones I believe had no white rings. They still make high quality hammers. Otherwise lots of companies made claw hammers with straight and curved claws. Many times the brand dictates value more than features from what I've seen. 

Todd, You're correct about the early ones not having the white spacers. I only have one.

1350387831_EstwingHammerwithoutblackwhitespacersearlycrop.jpg.116b0a280611fc03a029567a1458bd8a.jpg

I think we have about a half dozen of the white line type. I grew up on them, and Dad always used Estwing stacked leather handle hammers. I still have his, but no photos.

He did have two blacksmith hammers, a large and small ball pein too. I know Mike has three or four blue rubber handle claw and a framing hammer(s).

1886564153_Anvilblacksmithtools.thumb.JPG.fcd9aa0bb85e72b67c36f8fa487ba7d9.JPG

630019092_Estwingblacksmithhammer11-27-17.thumb.jpg.88b70ac0532b9931e5bb04b66118bb07.jpg

Gary?

I call that last one a machinist hammer.  I will see if I can picture some of my Estwing hammers in the morning. Most are the Blue handle version but I've got a couple older ones. 

Morning came fast....

from top left: machinist hammer, drilling hammer, hatchet, claw hammer w/o white spacers, roofing hatchet w/ white spacers, straight claw, curved claw, framing hammer. 

IMG_5426.JPG

I was out at Silver Creek today. I had to check out an upright single cylinder stationary steam engine that was given to Mike by a former teacher at the Vo Tech in Helena. The Vo Tech was going to haul the engine to the scrap yard, for the room in a closet it had inhabited. This teacher asked for it and was given it. He stopped in and caught Mike a week ago Saturday. He knew Mike had steam engines and asked if he'd be interested in this one? The price was right. The gentleman brought it and unloaded it yesterday. Mike felt he should give something, and the guy said NO. So Mike asked his daughter if she'd like to go for a Model T ride. She was elated. She teaches small engines at the Vo Tech and is mechanically inclined. Mike said she was down on all four looking it over underneath and was amazed at the simplicity. Mike, is shown on the TD-40 TracTracTor, beside the Model TT Truck he took this man's daughter for a ride in. And.... That TD-40 is an IH Tractor on a Montana Farm too.

1889349718_1925ModelTTTD-40Mikebackingintoshed5-30-17.thumb.jpg.cac271c138d7f4558b94dba67492eaf1.jpg

This is the Peerless steam engine the gentleman gave Mike.

1534703290_UprightsteamenginegiventoMike9-2-18_edited-1.jpg.a92f1c3edd56e55abb1dd88d91f55be6.jpg

1547928220_UprightPeerlesssteamenginegiventoMike9-2-18_edited-1.jpg.22d4b122404ad46dff924b3558b0c22a.jpg

And I looked for my leather handle Estwing hammers, hatchets, etc. I took this first photo of them. The two items with tags, were my dad's.

2021565801_Estwingleatherhammershatchets9-3-18.thumb.jpg.abfbfe8bdc2f94a7db860b2639d5a9a5.jpg

Afterward, I found three more hammers, two ball pein and another claw hammer.

123024633_Estwingleatherhammersballpein9-3-18_edited-1.thumb.jpg.6dba941b82880dae7f7211faaf5141a9.jpg

So mike started dragging out the rubber handle Estwing hammers. These are the framing and claw hammers.

604568645_Estwingrubberlhandlecarpentryclawhammers9-3-18.thumb.jpg.7f28ff500ca215e6c7b35be1bf7d9b2b.jpg

These are the machine hammers. I'm not trying to outdo anyone, but we couldn't control ourselves.  Gary?

556717935_Estwingrubberhandlehammersmachine9-3-18.thumb.jpg.8a70dcc95282926eef11b5d24c0a12c1.jpg

• Like 1

Neat stuff there, Eric! That guy really likes hammers. I don't "collect" hammers perse, but will grab one if it falls in my way. This guy is REALLY serious about them! The table with the grease guns, etc. is probably more "me."  Well, on second thought, I've gone a little bit overboard with grease guns. Here are some miscellaneous grease guns, but not the big old Alemite and Lincoln bucket pumps for large grease jobs and crawler roller greasing. I don't have a picture of them. Gary?

2118875269_Greaseguns3.thumb.JPG.2f630aaba0761243b2c4ddf267634fa5.JPG

1806313045_BucketofgreasegunsandjunkfromRestore_edited-1.jpg.83ded84a8759ce1b5ae4a254010e6366.jpg

1558904610_AlemiteGreasegunbayonettype.thumb.jpg.aa25ce88ef0b9c1cb0e11d00a1e6bd8c.jpg

763779463_ScrewingreasegunNewHollandlevelred.jpg.109b2e2df0356ed80405ec88d166d802.jpg

294758866_Greasegunsold6-6-12.thumb.jpg.46873c120e72545432590f614261a9c9.jpg

2052175197_Oldgreasegunsandleadpot.thumb.jpg.be9a71d0ec92c1b1f43d15702ed77b02.jpg

While I have a JI Case grease gun, I didn't buy an IH grease gun when I worked in the IH parts department.

1398854271_JICasegreasegunhandlestamp.thumb.jpg.7f3e645ea925a2ac5c12c5417f5dba9c.jpg

1462323282_BrassWhatzitGreasegun.thumb.jpg.09efff0d023d54c7dca3d06d6c3c1e33.jpg