IH Tractors on Montana Farm

Old Binder Guy

Reckon I am headed back to "standing in the corner" based on Hammer's testimony????

Who all remembers "standing in the corner" in our early childhood days???

Don't see that form of discipline much anymore.

Thinking about the vertical steam engine in Bitty's pictures---------do you reckon they may have operated more than one of these small engines with a remote boiler??

Don't know that is feasible or not-----just thinking about a manifold dispersing steam to various points. (I  now see the union fitting that Fred mentioned) Looks like multiple output points would require some additional management???

Where is Roger when you need him-----must be catching a nap up there in Minnesota.

DD

Not uncommon to see steam used for heating the building, heating water, and powering an engine. Maybe add cooking, washing dishes, and more. If you have a central boiler you can provide steam to all of them.  Steam has a lot of use and was one of our early methods of transporting energy to a machine. 

2 hours ago, Delta Dirt said:

Reckon I am headed back to "standing in the corner" based on Hammer's testimony????

You've been good DD. I do remember having to go sit in the "thinking chair" for a punishment. I don't think it phased me much though....

7 hours ago, Delta Dirt said:

Thinking about the vertical steam engine in Bitty's pictures---------do you reckon they may have operated more than one of these small engines with a remote boiler??

Don't know that is feasible or not-----just thinking about a manifold dispersing steam to various points. (I  now see the union fitting that Fred mentioned) Looks like multiple output points would require some additional management???

Where is Roger when you need him-----must be catching a nap up there in Minnesota.

DD

I saw my mil yesterday and she saw someone that was pretty sure that the steam engine was in there to run some tools. She has a few others to ask yet but unfortunately most from the last generation has passed to the other side by now. It was two generations ago that  used this equipment ( from myself and my wife's perspective) 

16 hours ago, Delta Dirt said:

DD

Recall getting my butt kicked a time or 2 at a young age as well as getting my mouth washed out with soap at slightly older age a time or 2......???

10 hours ago, bitty said:

I saw my mil yesterday and she saw someone that was pretty sure that the steam engine was in there to run some tools. She has a few others to ask yet but unfortunately most from the last generation has passed to the other side by now. It was two generations ago that  used this equipment ( from myself and my wife's perspective) 

Would make sense to have a remote engine for an application like a farm. Only other option would have been a line shaft like what the factories of the time used but that setup wouldnt be very feasible on a farm.

23 minutes ago, Art From DeLeon said:

Did they also use the boiler to heat the house with steam heat?

No. We removed the old majestic cook stove two years ago. They had fireplaces also

Here is a similar upright steam engine that used to be at Belgrade, Montana. They ran a shingle saw with it. They could be used for anything that needed turned. Dad and his brothers ran their line shaft in their shop with an outfit about like this. They put a McCormick-Deering combine engine on it later. Internal combustion engines start turning much quicker than external (steam) engines do. This photo gives you some things to examine, such as the steam line and the exhaust line. You can see how the crankshaft turns the governor belt.

561679692_ShinglemakingBarnesLaurieLanceine.jpg.2edba53269315ee65a8d5fbcab696782.jpg

And as far as using the boiler to heat things, that'd be feasible too. My uncle had an upright boiler, but no steam engine, in his dairy bottling room. Gary?

• Like 1

Several years ago l found this pic of a steam powered ditching machine at Ranger, Texas in about 1925. l never really paid any attention to it up till the past few days when this discussion started. Seems like to me it's not a very big engine.

Ranger, Tx steam ditcher.JPG

That's an interesting (and compact) set-up the Professor posted.  Easy enough with making the right angle drive with the twist on the belt.

As I think back------flat belts just faded away as "modernization" took over.

And-----seems like there was always a can of "belt dressing" within easy reach of any flat belt operation.

TwoStep----

Looks as if your buddies at Ranger, Tx could use some help with their automobile.

I can well imagine the effort taken for the operation and MAINTENANCE of the big ditcher.  But-------it had to beat the hand shovel!!!

All evidence that there have always been innovative minds trying to build a better mousetrap.

Now------innovation has taken us into the "computerized/electronic" world of cyber space.  

I am not running too slow-------the world is just spinning too damn fast!!!?

DD

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Delta Dirt said:

TwoStep----

Looks as if your buddies at Ranger, Tx could use some help with their automobile.

I can well imagine the effort taken for the operation and MAINTENANCE of the big ditcher.  But-------it had to beat the hand shovel!!!

Maybe the car got stuck so they decided to run a ditch down Main Street to drain the water away? ?

It does look small for the application but with the power of steam (what was the expansion rate 1600x?) and the right gearing I suppose it could turn almost anything. There was no doubt a reason that monster was sitting in the middle of down town. 

Several companies built trenchers. This is one that was in Lewistown, Montana, where I was born. Proper gearing reduction beyond the actual steam engine could have powerful effects, using steam. I've looked at these trenchers and wondered if you could spend enough grease on them to keep them from tearing themselves apart? Maybe they worked fine forever, with cast iron gearing and babbit bearings? Gary?

Lewistown, Steam ditcher, front, GC Morton.jpg

Lewistown, Steam ditcher rear, GC Morton.jpg

This week we finished some repair work on a 18-36 Avery tractor and needed to work it under load to see if all the problems had been fixed.  This was a good time to also test out the newly complete Baker Fan.  Baker fans were developed by the Baker Steam Engine Company to break their engines in under load at the factory.  There are no exact figures on the actual horsepower being produced but the faster the fan turns the harder it works the engine.   The blades are 2'x2' as was the original Baker design and will make even the largest old tractor or steam engine,  get right down and cry.

While the fan was set up, it was a good time to burn the carbon out of Severson's 1917 Mogul 10-20. 

Severson's also own an original John Deere D that was just recently overhauled and that got put on the fan too. 

They all were just chugging along Roger.   Very relaxing to hear the steady sounds from a low rpm engine.

That's the best view of a Baker fan that I have seen.  Is there a way to change speed on the fan itself without changing pulley size?  (thinking about engines with only one pulley?)

DD

Yesterday was threshing day at Silver Creek. The crop was about three times better than the drought ridden crop of 2017. Mike and Randy put the whole show together themselves, without any of my help. I'd always hoped they could do it, and they did! I won't be around forever. But I withstood a lot of the day yesterday. The temperatures were in the upper 70's and I drank four bottles of water, when sitting in my shop chair occasionally.

First they sawed a big pile of posts and logs with the  15 hp Case.

1739445169_15hpCasesmokingAndyonbuzzsaw8-18-18.thumb.jpg.59b5fc7a9031a9a55b50b1cf4bca918e.jpg

They crushed gravel with the 20 hp Reeves.1421600870_Randyon20hpReevesatrockcrusher8-18-18.thumb.jpg.94de77cb4ff93ba3d461a21bcf664355.jpg

Conversation between Mike & Randy may have just been a "'Brown Sugar' session?"

1096224438_20hpReevesdiscussionMikeRandy8-18-18.thumb.jpg.9efb32174fc8499fb5e3b9aa2511ab02.jpg

After lunch the 15 hp Case was belted to the McCormick-Deering threshing machine to devour the oats crop.1021484571_15hpCaseAndyejectingwaterintotender8-18-18.thumb.jpg.d43f74ab7595bc6a4e0944b9799f1ef3.jpg

Mike pulls the Case water wagon to the steam engine for water while threshing, with his workhorse IH Farmall M, "Toot."

252328243_MikeToothaulingwaterto15hpCase8-18-18.thumb.jpg.eeada9a73a742684c29121f3a29041c9.jpg

Randy pulls the (there were two) bundle wagon to the threshing machine with his beautifully restored IH Farmall A, "Aimee!"

1717490352_RandyAimeeandbundlesheadedtothresh8-18-18.thumb.jpg.8a6b99147f540fec295e5792a4595fe2.jpg

219542738_Yaegerthreshingcompanyoutfit8-18-18.thumb.jpg.3e69867543647b0eb6a117721588e3e5.jpg

578415094_1925ModelTTtruckundergrainspout8-18-18.thumb.jpg.a92c83f4d176697163a2e476087ae4fe.jpg

Heather, Pam and Jacob leave the threshing scene to go visit with Grandma Sharon in their front yard.

1195727456_HeatherPamJacobleavingthreshing8-18-18.thumb.jpg.b85ddaf55f3829df35d9367d3aa214b7.jpg

My birthday was August 14th. I had no cake and no presents then. Yesterday they took a break for my 75th birthday. My lovely little wife had a cake made over the phone and it turned out spectacular.

1979543177_GrandmaSharonwithGarysmy75thbirthdaycake8-18-18.thumb.jpg.ad94a3823cf9bd5db50e870e2351e3d7.jpg

1553480848_MyGarys75thBirthdayCakeMaudeHamiltons131st8-18-18.thumb.jpg.083e98bc29498f676cd8617f7dc92fc1.jpg

476357180_GranddadGarywith75thbirthdaycakecandlelit8-18-18.thumb.jpg.6d07449570617c19e3e15d9f47ecb3f7.jpg

Although August 14th was MY birthday, August 18th (yesterday) would have been my only living grandparent I ever had, Grandma Maude Hamilton's 131st birthday. I felt honored to celebrate that! She's holding me in 1943.

1374326308_GrandmaHamiltonme1943imp.thumb.jpg.21b988db9ff08422c559a14b3e1f9411.jpg

After Cake, more logs were sawn up for firewood. And our friend Andy Troutwine, who engineered the Case threshing, had brought a model steam engine he built back when he had only a drill press, hacksaw, vise and files. He has a magnificent machine shop today, and is so very capable of using his equipment on his three full size steam engines. Andy's engine turned Mike's feed grinder, so they could make Pam some chicken feed.

168506121_JessicaAndysengineMikegrindingchickenfeed8-18-18.thumb.jpg.e50559d576d69ab0f8124567a3b42ee8.jpg

And I hope all ya'll noticed the IH Tractors on a Montana Farm! Gary?

PS: A couple of gray McCormick-Deerings never made it out of the shed yesterday, but I admired and photographed them anyway!

1964105601_McCormick-DeeringTD-40F-12inshed8-18-18.thumb.jpg.e9a86ed98fab597fa6a5c2f00da14eda.jpg

• Thanks 1

Two things . . .

First: Anson's question about a Baker Fan.  The pulley size is always an issue on Baker Fans.  After you get much above 200RPM the rate of power needed to turn them faster goes up with the pressure on one side of the blade and the vacuum on other side increasing at a high exponential rate.  If the pulley is too small, the tractor is loaded at too low of RPM and the engine can't produce it's rated power.   There are a couple of standard belt speeds for tractors so you try to get the fan pulleys so you can test most engines in a certain power range.   It takes a little playing around but if you have about three different sizes to change around, you can cover most tractors/steamers you want to test.  Sometime in the next couple weeks, after this heat/humidity we've been having backs off, I'll take my Titan over there and put it under load for a few hours.   The Titan hasn't done any kind of real work so that will be a good time to finish seating up the rings plus getting the governor and mixture settings dialed in. 

Second:  Sure glad that old "supervisor" was feeling good enough to oversee the thrashing, sawing, crushing at the Silver Creek Steam Day!!  I'm guessing that Saturday was a great lift to OBG's spirits.  I see the TT was there to haul the grain away but I have a question, the only picture he's in I don't see that "famous" Poka Dot hat?!?!

24 minutes ago, Roger Byrne said:

Second:  Sure glad that old "supervisor" was feeling good enough to oversee the thrashing, sawing, crushing at the Silver Creek Steam Day!!  I'm guessing that Saturday was a great lift to OBG's spirits.  I see the TT was there to haul the grain away but I have a question, the only picture he's in I don't see that "famous" Poka Dot hat?!?!

Oh, Roger..... I had the polka dot cap there. I just didn't want to mess up my "hair" since I was a mere observer and photographer. And the 1925 Model TT Did its job and got the 2018 oats crop safely back into the shed. Gary?

960820975_1925ModelTTwithoatscropinshed8-18-18.thumb.jpg.efec43a680fc959a8553ccf8d84f7d30.jpg

• Like 1

Sounds like you enjoyed the day, thanks for sharing the pictures as well! I always like seeing that old stuff in action and like it even more when i can make something like that run again and operate it myself for a while.

Glad to see the Professor finally get the oat harvest figured out.  All big jobs need a good observer/supervisor on duty-------and sometimes the hardest part of the supervisors job is staying out of the way!!!

It's funny that the older the supervisor gets---------the harder it is for the younger "hired help" to hear the supervisors advice!!!??

Great looking birthday cake.

Thanks for the Baker fan commentary Roger.

DD

Welcome back, Gary.  We need help keeping DD under control.  Maybe if we made him stand in the corner in the cloak room it would help.  Dunno.  That is where I had to go and look how good I turned out.

That old TT is still my favorite and once again it looks as if it did a good job.

Ron