IH Tractors on Montana Farm

Old Binder Guy

Looks like they had you "under control" in the ICU Professor.

I have seen pictures of "double compound------triple complicated" steam engines with less piping than that!!!?

Glad to hear you are back to making music.

Maybe I should go ahead and book you and TubaCase at the downtown Arkansas City, Arkansas "Opera House"-----pictured below.

20180802_232421.thumb.jpg.88c7240da1182d11b9a4db9776b04f63.jpg

I was thru Arkansas City a few weeks ago------and posted some pictures here at that time (while you were in Seattle).  It's an old Mississippi River town------may be the opera house coincided with the steamboat activity;  but everything is sorta quiet nowadays.

Reckon my hometown of Avon, Mississippi is just a "one horse town"---------cause we ain't never had an opera house.  Did have five country stores when I was young-----and now our last store is closed.

Keep on moving forward----

DD

New paint-------new toy for a worn out old codger:

20180823_190134.thumb.jpg.d442ec044d94534f016effc0b102443e.jpg

20180823_191427.thumb.jpg.2fa6bb47d067ced56a9db6c6afc42965.jpg

20180823_191140.thumb.jpg.b60b4cf10984cff494b9894ebcd9bf21.jpg

My buddy is big into collecting toy tractors.  They were up at Lawerenceburg, Tn last weekend and ran across this Massey-Harris Challenger-------and brought it to me as replacement of the two Challengers I recently sold for parts.

The Challenger was manufactured for approximately two yrs (1936---1938).  They switched from a green paint scheme to red in 1937.  My old tractors were originally red and 1937 models------never had fenders.

Buddy says the Challenger models are just about as rare as the tractors themselves.  This model was made by Ertl in 1991-------originally shipped to someone in New York.

I don't know about this bright shiny paint---------looks sorta out of place around here???

Toy tractor collecting/trading is an active and on-going background business-------big advantage is cost of shipping and you don't have to have as big of an implement shed!!!

DD

• Like 1

Anson, We're not really into toy tractors at Silver Creek, but there are several out there. I know there's a Minneapolis Moline G-1000 somewhere, that a dealer friend gave Mike when he was about three years old. There are other IH Tractors too. I just don't have photos of them. The John Deere was given to Mike by a "green" friend of his. He also gave Mike a Farmall M, one of those real expensive ones that has the choke rods and all of those tiny things.I got the Ford tractor with the three point plows, when I was a partsman for Stedje Implement in Kalispell, one summer. The plastic Farmall M at right was my wife's, when she was a little girl. I had one of these plastic ones when I was little too, but I broke it playing with it.

1050107948_JohnDeereFordIHFarmallMTractorsSilverCreek.thumb.jpg.3e5693900048a2979813112ff3732fc7.jpg

Mike built a dozer and tire chains for the 1256 I'm holding. It was supposed to be a match to the 1256 I had on the farm. A pretty good match too. Gary?

523610203_Me1256fromMikeJakeJuly2006.thumb.jpg.85dc0edfccea77bd5aee5a01e2b5037b.jpg

1484000396_IH1256insnowclothes.jpg.ffa1962db7c390e4d24c75bca0bfb869.jpg

22 minutes ago, Old Binder Guy said:

Anson, We're not really into toy tractors at Silver Creek, but there are several out there. I know there's a Minneapolis Moline G-1000 somewhere, that a dealer friend gave Mike when he was about three years old. There are other IH Tractors too. I just don't have photos of them. The John Deere was given to Mike by a "green" friend of his. He also gave Mike a Farmall M, one of those real expensive ones that has the choke rods and all of those tiny things.I got the Ford tractor with the three point plows, when I was a partsman for Stedje Implement in Kalispell, one summer. The plastic Farmall M at right was my wife's, when she was a little girl. I had one of these plastic ones when I was little too, but I broke it playing with it.

1050107948_JohnDeereFordIHFarmallMTractorsSilverCreek.thumb.jpg.3e5693900048a2979813112ff3732fc7.jpg

Mike built a dozer and tire chains for the 1256 I'm holding. It was supposed to be a match to the 1256 I had on the farm. A pretty good match too. Gary?

523610203_Me1256fromMikeJakeJuly2006.thumb.jpg.85dc0edfccea77bd5aee5a01e2b5037b.jpg

1484000396_IH1256insnowclothes.jpg.ffa1962db7c390e4d24c75bca0bfb869.jpg

NICE!!!!!!

Welcome back----;)

Mike

Professor-----I am not that into the toy models either.

My brother and I had a box full of electric trains and tractor toys that were stored in a vacant tenant cabin that were stolen during my college days.

They were considered nothing of value back then--------but sure wish I had them now.

Most of what I do have are items brought to me by my friend.  He is a real horse trader--------and sometimes buys 2 for 1 or finds a bargain.  He will negotiate just as hard on the purchase of a toy tractor as he will on the purchase of a new tractor for the field.

His son best described him once saying:  "Daddy is so tight-------he can squeeze a quarter so hard that the eagle will jump off"!!!!!!??

He has been accumulating the toy items for years now--------and really knows a lot about the scale models.

DD

Don't know whether this glass bottle car qualifies as a collectible or not------but it's one of my prize possessions.

20180824_212238.thumb.jpg.632c334f6688da720788cb54ae315035.jpg

20180824_212557.thumb.jpg.d93ea95b9f569b683fadade8b4dc24a5.jpg

20180824_212729.thumb.jpg.c9cb67d33e9d0f34b5336db4816abe2c.jpg

Avon after shave bottle-------the spare tire is the bottle cap.  Being from Avon Mississippi-------and with a price of a couple of dollars;  I picked it up in a resale shop a number of years ago.

The cosmetic company pronounces it "A-von"------while we pronounce it "Av-on".

Somebody is wrong------it must be them!!?

Delta Dirt  Avon Ms   38723

I don't know one darn thing.... It is a nice cool day with rain and sprinkles. Sure feels good after all of the earlier heat. I missed out on the terribly hot heat of Montana when I was in the University of Washington Medical Center a month ago. In keeping with IHC, here's another photo of the shirt I wore to my operation, and wore "home" (the place Sharon stayed while I was in the hospital) from the hospital. It shows the Lewistown, Montana Central Flywheeler's IHC 8-16 Mogul gas tractor. I wanted them to know I was an old farm boy and it slipped on and off easily. Of course I got the "rear entry" gown, after taking the shirt off, in preparation for the operation on my palate tumor. This selfie showed the whiskers I had, since I couldn't shave my left side of my neck, due to surgery there.

795132502_GarysmyLewistownIHCMogulshirtafterhospital8-2018.thumb.jpg.95e29de9f3dffcf58ecc0e77e7c63971.jpg

The rest of this is all Facebook stuff.

A 1912 IHC water cooled AutoWagon.

960210182_IHCwatercooledAutoWagonwithtopMaxHerron.thumb.jpg.91d707540835b9afde14ed8a5d5ad28c.jpg

A 1907 IHC AutoBuggy at auction in Canada.

621710208_1907IHCAutoBuggyatauctioninCanadacrop.jpg.2acb7b0a63c8ba3a25ee111956232214.jpg

I forget which model this IHC tower cooled tractor is, at a Canadian museum? (Early Type A?) Roger will know.

1436272305_EarlyIHCgastractortowerscreencooledRandyKvill.jpg.c6dc19cb0432da626b95155ee83b53c0.jpg

A somewhat altered IHC Farmall F-12 with a "non-hydraulic" front end loader. 

893682886_IHCFarmallF-12orgrayF-14withcableliftloaderAndrewMotley.thumb.jpg.7f96a4b5c0b99bed95d4f3bd97f71381.jpg

1991792917_IHCFarmallF-12orgrayF-14withcableliftloaderrearAndrewMotley.thumb.jpg.17656978ab663e9357e55ccbe6a3ec9e.jpg

A photo of an old Farmall F-12 pulling a binder in a grainfield.

142019014_IHCF-12pullingbinderingrainfieldDavidFuller.jpg.62f873c9016c1016a92e0b047b9d8e60.jpg

Last, but not least, is this IHC Farmall F-20 on rubber at the homestead shack.  Gary?

1617423570_HomesteadshackIHCFarmallF-20onrubberGaryW.jpg.e5369c1069b0c3c577fac3a1eccc332b.jpg

Right Gary, that's an early Type A International?.  It is a friction drive version and judging from the flywheel size, it appears to be a 12HP model.   I'd have to kick something out of the shed, but I'd sure find room for it!!

Im glad you are feeling better Gary!

I have a toy Farmall H tractor to go along with my real one. 

The 150HP Case is going to be a who's who in Steam at James Valley Threshing Show this year and Im sure a few Steam Women will be there too. Myself included!?

Here is some toy tractors at a Harley Davidson dealer in Fort Wayne Indiana. 

IMG_3203.JPG

Wow, Lady H Raven... I'll look forward to your "rattling my cage" at Andover, Emma! I'm glad you have a model of the Farmall H to match your real one. Ladies who own Farmalls and run steam engines are special! I included the photo of you on Minneapolis 14 hp return flue #721 at Forest City steam school. Since we've both had our hands on THAT throttle! 

1188882598_LadyHMinneapolisrf721.jpg.68326631fb1b1f1d2344ad53522258ce.jpg

Roger took this picture of me on #721 at Forest City in 2010. I see it has the "frilly" material on the canopy here. That's a nice little engine and the oldest restored Minneapolis steam engine. Gary?

1540078944_Minneapolis721mered.jpg.2fbf60d216e715d8a4a95b5f1d78843c.jpg

Hello all, this is my first post on Red Power but I’ve been a long time follower of this thread. I’ve read the first 100 or so pages and then read backwards to about page 525 but closed out the page by accident and lost my spot. I guess the great information between those pages will forever remain a mystery to me!  Mr. Jager (I hope I spelled that correctly), my father was cut from the same cloth as you.  My father had a building dedicated to his collection of odd and old tools plus farm engines.

Gary, I have a truck that may be interesting  to you. To my knowledge it is a 1923 Ford TT but what is on the back should be right up your alley. I hope that I’ve figured out how to attach pictures. I’ll start with one and see what happens. 

466AA223-02D4-4AA3-9E46-68DAE2F8B5E5.jpeg

Since you are obviously a steam expert, maybe you can enlighten me on what the steam engine is. My father passed away in January of last year and I didn’t get a chance to talk to him about the truck. It was passed on to him from the previous owner who wanted it to be maintained properly.  I’ve never seen the truck operate but I guess it does function.

In keeping with the title of this thread, here is my 1950 H pulling the grain trailer for the oats I harvested a couple weeks ago. I got 50 bushels from 5 acres that I tried to save for seed.  The elk ate the other 75%. I live in St. Regis, MT - 33 miles from Idaho. If anyone has driven east on I-90, you drove right past my field next to the freeway about three miles east of town. 

71873B70-AA5E-41B6-AEFD-4893FDD168EF.jpeg

MT Matt, welcome to Red Power posting and adding photos. Good to have you on board.

Was the builder of the Model TT Ford's HYBRID power unit's first name, by any chance, Rube? Probably not. (the old guys will get that!) I don't know much of anything about little upright steam engines like this one. I'd post that on SmokStak.com for you and hopefully find out what brand, if you'd be so inclined to let me? I'd have an inspection done on that boiler if you were ever serious about firing it for real. It's a big unknown as is.

As far as the truck being a 1923, it likely could be? It has a wooden "cabinet maker" cab on it. The serial number of the engine is on the left side near the water outlet on the side of the block, on a flat machined boss. If you want to run that number past us, I could tell you what month the engine was built. 

I like your old "work clothes" Farmall H. They're a good old tractor. And a Massey Harris 27 combine! I've ran a Massey Harris 21, 90 Special, 92 and Massey Ferguson 760. I've never even sat on a 27. I remember them well in their time period. You feed elk oats too? They can be pretty devastating to an oat field! But are such beautiful animals.

Since you're at St. Regis, you've likely looked at the 15 hp Case steam engine there at that antique store as well? Gary?

Thanks for the info Gary. The motor # is 14200086. Someone wrote 1926 on the head so maybe the motor was a transplant. I did more digging last night and I read the truck was a 1922 but can’t verify it.  I tried to read the numbers stamped on the frame under the floor board but the numbers only imprinted on the lower half and very faintly.  I’m not sure how many numbers should be there to look at for that year. I know the family who originally built the truck/steam engine and “home engineered” is an understatement. Lol  one of the sons said they would heat up water for their “pool” (stock tank) and blow the whistle to call the neighbor kids when it was warm.  Feel free to find out what you can on the steam engine.  I have zero plans to fire that thing up, way out of my knowledge.  

I planted 18 acres of oats last spring.  9 cows and 5 calves had been feasting all year on it. Turkey and deer too. I cut all but the best 5 acres for oat hay, got about 450 bales. The remaining had about 45-50 kernels per stalk and I wanted that for seed next year. I left for 5 days for a family reunion and when I got back they had stripped it. Pretty sad really.  But I did get something. 

That is a Super 27 Massey combine, if it makes any difference. That was the first time I had ever seen it ran, I wasn’t around when Dad got it. I had a manual and oats to cut. The motor amazingly started right up like it was run yesterday. And there are about 1000 grease points on it.  Fun to run though. 

I’ve looked at that Case down town. There used to be a large high wheeled steam engine across from the school owned by the Bennett family but I don’t know where it went. It powered a saw mill at one time. If you are ever down this way and would like to look at a large collection of farm related stuff, you are welcome to stop by. Tom Railsback has my number. He is interested in a Case loader I have but I guess he isn’t able to get to his trailer because of flooding last spring.  I have a building full of stuff. Dad called it the Toy House.  Only things clean and operational made it to the Toy House. The last pic is Dad a couple months before he passed. 

1032AA50-68AB-4C24-A0AE-AE81372B1909.jpeg

57DDBD85-D554-45DD-85DE-FFA698566A8C.jpeg

EC6C9864-3337-4D8A-96F7-38D8FF97C97E.jpeg

7823CAD4-8989-4E97-A61F-411113869E43.jpeg

MT Matt, That Model TT engine was built in September 1926. It appears to be a truck that has had some "free lance" things done to it. I notice the transmission pedals are 1926-27 type. The steering wheel rim must be 1926, as he flattened the spider to fit the wheel. And the 21" front tires and wheels would be 1925, 26, 27 wheels. He may have had the early wooden cab and put it on a 1926 engine and frame? The Model T frames didn't have corresponding numbers to the engine number until 1926.

Wow... is all I can say about your father and his Toy House. He was one serious collector and restorer. WAAAAYYYYyyyy more "stuff" than I could imagine having. I've never considered myself a collector. Just a gatherer. I'd rather be called a "pack rat" than a hoarder. If I truly am a hoarder, I try to display it neatly, and not just put it in piles, with a path to walk through. I tI try not to restore much of my stuff. I like their rustic, or like new, appearance. Your father was truly one busy gatherer! 

Do you ever attend Forestry Days at Fort Missoula, during their annual steam up at the sawmill? I have several friends associated with the steam engines there. Marvin Troutwine, 94, has been a steam friend of mine since the early 1980's. Andy Troutwine came to son Mike's place a few weeks ago to operate the Case steam engine while threshing.

There also used to be a 20 hp Case engine at a place where the Clark Fork highway from Kalispell turned south toward St. Regis, about two or three miles out of town. Sadly the gentleman who bought it from them, didn't know which end to build the fire in. Gary?

I look forward to meeting you Gary. 

One of my goals each year is to goto a tractor/threshing show that I've never been too. This year I have so far been to 2 new shows and plan on going to 2 new ones in September. 

The first two pictures are from the Northern Illinois Steam Show in Sycamore, Illinois. The next two is from the Maumee Valley Steam show in New Haven, Indiana and last is a couple of pictures of the 765 Steam Locomotive at Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Museum. The first is the only running Dain tractor made by John Deere . 

20180811_134053.jpg

20180811_100130.jpg

20180818_153051.jpg

20180818_151931(0).jpg

20180818_145956.jpg

20180818_142354.jpg

Matt, you may already know this,but there is a show between Kalispell and Columbia Falls a week from this coming Saturday and Sunday. I plan on being there as I have to pick up an LA Case for a young man in Texas. I'll probably be wearing a white CASE ball cap. 

Lol. Dad did most of his collecting in about 15 years. He retired from the military and from his head custodian job at the school about the same time. He had his boiler license, I wonder if that is around here somewhere. Your son Mike and my father likely crossed paths at some point in the Montana National Guard. He was the motor sergeant (MSG E-8) for the supply and transportation unit in Missoula. Retired in September 1999. I think there was an armor unit there at one time but I could be wrong.  I joined with him in 1990 while in high school but I was a constuction engineer and moved to Missouri for college. I finished with 22 years in the National Guard and two deployments. Went to Iraq and Afghanistan.  Anyways, ask your son if he ran into an old guy named Eisenbacher if you think of it. Maybe he did by chance. 

Dad liked auction sales and any thrift shop. Also, people would bring him all of their old stuff to get running and add to the collection.  So it was a community effort in a way. Many things from his farm growing up are in there also. He’d grind wheat for cereal using his parent’s grinder that was their wedding present in 1925. The farm water jack is in there. So many things are in there. 

Your guess about the TT and how it was put together is as good as any.  I can say it is a model T truck. That’s about it. Lol

i just moved back home in early July so I need to get plugged into the different events around here and where.  It’s been very busy here at the farm with just getting things in shape and operational again.  But I’m gaining.  When is the show in Missoula?

Congratulations on your successful surgery and recovery!

Glad to see you are feeling up to instructing us some more Gary! 

Matt looks and sounds like your father had quite a collection of nice stuff. Even cooler that a lot has family history as well as the community effort.

Would be fun to go to the show and see the 150hp case in person but too much going on here to get away for me.

Matt, If your dad was longtime in the Missoula unit, Mike had to know him. When Mike was a 1st Lt. he was a platoon leader in the Missoula armored unit and had the best team in Montana at the time. His crew loved him, according to him. He went through three years of Army as a Huey & OH-58 helicopter crew chief, returning to the U of M and ROTC as a Sergeant. Because he'd been enlisted before becoming an officer, he understood both sides. One time when his tank unit was on maneuvers, they threw a track in mud. They maneuvered the tank to dryer ground. He asked for his coveralls and necessary tools. He got under the tank, did his stuff and they got the track back on. He said, they so admired him after that, that they'd do just about anything he asked. He then came to Helena and was full-time at Ft. Harrison for 22 years. I think he has a total of 33 years now? He spent 2008 in Afghanistan, commanding an embedded unit of Montana Army NG, US Marines, Navy corpsmen and an Afghan Kandak (battalion).

Mike has blessed me with a great little farm to play on and a fantastic shop to hang junk and photos all over the place. Plus he's taking his old man to Andover for his 75th birthday present.  Gary?

• Like 1

Glad to have you in our class  MT Matt.

If you haven't already picked up on the facts:

This is Gary's thread-------he is known as the Professor.  (knows most everything)

Then there is Roger------he is known as the University.  (knows absolutely everything-------really does)

And------then there are us students.  We are just glad to be here.  I have forgotten most of what I have learned------but Gary let's me continue to monitor the class out of courtesy since he and I have the same date of manufacture (1943)!!!!!?

Looks like the toy room has plenty of items for us to study.  Don't be bashful about posting pictures.

Delta Dirt  Avon Ms   38723

• Like 1