IH Tractors on Montana Farm

Old Binder Guy

15 minutes ago, Delta Dirt said:

Have a good 4th ya'll!!!

Hammer---

Will have to study my old rake------sure looks to be a similar design to what you have pictured.  But mine has small, solid steering (pivot) wheels with a tie rod connecting them up top (as illustrated in the original red tractor picture).

Probably a later model than the $85 model you have pictured???

Will have to swipe your pictures to my picture files-----thanks.

Happy 4th to all. 

DD, 

I did notice that difference when studying the book last night. The reason I said that was close is because it was the only one in the book that had a hand lift lever? behind the operators seat. There were several other versions in the book that were branded by International and other companies. The difference being the name, not the construction. The model pictured had the longest production run which would also help the odds of that being it. There were very possibly many small changes in production that no one will ever know. 

I noticed the cotton had aphids on it this morning. We normally only see aphids on soybeans in very dry weather. It got a dose of Sevin and hopes of a rain the next couple days.  Aphids are one of few insect problems that rain will cure. They are washed off and cannot get back to the plant. Enough about bugs....I better get back to the shop. I very rarely have the 4th off work because of pollinating corn so I have some service work to do on the wife's car and plan to fire up the forge later.  Im going to make her a dinner bell triangle that she has been asking for. 

Anson, You are cranking up the forge to build a "dinner bell triangle" when you have this bell? How about I crank up our forge, build your wife a dinner bell triangle? Then you can throw this bell...

595d276e6e7e9_AnsonsgranddaughteranddaughterwithDeltaDirtDinnerBell.JPG.c3f7da3885626d0ca4f66dffb82776e5.JPG

into Roger's IHC AutoWagon when those watermelons are shipped up here this fall? That'd be cheaper than sending it in the US Mail, UPS or by freight. Gary:lol:

595d27fa2e296_IHCAutoWagonhaulingmelons.jpg.b9067e13e873b7227b7099d9e988daff.jpg

PS: Then I can wear this same satisfied look after our deal is all completed this fall! GY - OBG

595d28aa18e37_MeinRogers1912IHCAutowagonGaryred.jpg.75960d52d8c7e27e1b59a1c227b84a70.jpg

I was the one building the dinner bell triangle for the wife.  That is only because I don't have an air compressor in the house to run the steam whistle when it is all completed ;)

Thanks for clarifying the dinner bell triangle project Hammer.  (it wuz confusing the Hel! outta me)

I really wish that the Professor would "hold tight" on mentioning Roger's AutoWagon------we need to lull ol' Roger to sleep.  As it is---------my survelience contacts in Minnesota tell me that Roger moves the AutoWagon a little deeper into the shed each time Gary mentions the AutoWagon.:ph34r::o;)

So-------on the dinner bell triangle;  would you get more ring out of solid rod or tubing???  Any I have ever seen were solid rod.

DD

1 hour ago, Delta Dirt said:

Thanks for clarifying the dinner bell triangle project Hammer.  (it wuz confusing the Hel! outta me)

I really wish that the Professor would "hold tight" on mentioning Roger's AutoWagon------we need to lull ol' Roger to sleep.  As it is---------my survelience contacts in Minnesota tell me that Roger moves the AutoWagon a little deeper into the shed each time Gary mentions the AutoWagon.:ph34r::o;)

So-------on the dinner bell triangle;  would you get more ring out of solid rod or tubing???  Any I have ever seen were solid rod.

DD

I made one out of solid 5/8 rod last winter as a object less for the kids in awana, with my torch, in the church sanctuary none the less...

Lesson was we don't have strengh to tackle a difficult task by ourselves I had a few of the oldest boys try and bend it...

Right tools for the job make it possible Right tools for life found in relationship with Christ.

Rings good and loud.

Anson, your comment: "my surveillance contacts in Minnesota tell me that Roger moves the AutoWagon a little deeper into the shed each time Gary mentions the AutoWagon" . . . I don't know who your contacts are, by they are right.  I make sure that I keep something in front of the Autowagon (certainly not a Model T) that I figure Gary would have a problem starting and moving.

I haven't been sleep'un, but I have been very tied up with a project that I started assisting with 5 years ago and have spent most of the last 9 months working on almost full time.  Sometime in the next two weeks the first tractor will be completed.  Here is a video of the owners driving it out last Thursday, under its own power, for the first time in at least 90 years.  

Long project and a long story . . . will fill in the blanks at a later date.

P.S.  Anson, If you are getting E-Mail again, send me your new address and I'll forward a bunch of photos of what I've been up to.

rp 1.jpg

rp 2.jpg

3 hours ago, Delta Dirt said:

Anson,

I used 1/2" square for this one and made a small leaf on the open corner of the triangle.  The ringer was a piece of hex shaft that got a leaf on the handle end and hook on the other to hang from.  I am learning more all the time about some of the finer portions of blacksmithing but am far from being any good at it. 

Mader,

A real blacksmith friend of mine told me tonight that sucker rod made great triangles and he had made probably 20 like that. They supposedly rang well. On the object lesson, that is a very good one. I did an object lesson on unity a few years ago and a group being as strong as its weakest link. At that point I pulled out a pair of bolt cutters and a length of chain cutting the chain.  That lesson was for Sunday school class but could be applied anywhere in life really. I had scripture for the various parts and tried to get across the point of being the strength for others around you. A lesson like that with a good demonstration and you could end up be asked to teach every Sunday :)

I have seen a "Big 4" pedal tractor somewhere in the last few months. It was vintage and I remember it because it reminded me of Roger's super big project pictured above. That sir is gorgeous!

Sledgehammer, If you'd only not mentioned it was you and not Anson, he's old and senile like me. He maybe wouldn't have known the difference and sent the bell with the watermelons in the IHC AutoWagon.

And Anson... Now you've got Roger paranoid. Hopefully he'll forget he's paranoid by the time your watermelons are ready to pick?

Roger those picture represent a good portion of your and Al's lives. That tractor is so beautiful. Thanks for posting them.

We slept in a bed on a concrete basement floor less than 25 miles from the epicenter of our earthquake at 12:31 (on my watch) and four minutes later another aftershock. I think Lincoln, Montana is about 16 miles as the crow flies?  I've felt a lot of earthquakes in my life, but I've not been so close to the epicenter, and on concrete (poured on Rocky Mountain rock) to not only feel, but hear the treacherous noise that accompanies one. It sounded like about five seconds of close call thunder, then it sounded like a freight train was passing by the foundation. The house shook like nothing I'd ever seen or would have believed. It was a horizontal sideways motion that felt like it was "figure eight", plus there was up and down pulsations as well. It's about as frightened as I've ever been. I'm (we're) prepared to meet my (our) Maker, but I'm NOT ready to go yet. And I thought Lord Jesus was calling our names in that helpless situation. I was hugging my little wife of 54+ years and thought, God if you want us, at least we'd be going together. There wasn't a lot of breakage or damage, but a lot of things strewn around and tipped over. 

http://helenair.com/news/magnitude-earthquake-rattles-helena-area/article_66b7ba68-8771-5809-95ea-144452d598f0.html

A couple of things that amazed me were the 2-1/4 inch, 8 pound, open/box end wrench that fell off of it's nail.

596017caaa8bd_2quarterinchopen-boxwrenchfell8lb7-6-2017.jpg.818afaa0056db475a5b77e013012df0c.jpg

And the drawers on this tool box are on roller bearings, but are very full of darn heavy junk (well, tools aren't junk.). They rolled open. And tall things that were pretty vertical fell over, like this J metal trim, across the doorway below Marilyn. Gary;)

596017e2d538e_ToolboxandJchannelafter7-6-17earthquakeatSilverCreek.jpg.e2edbd33cd9dc316d18e19c67b93800d.jpg

Pictures were crooked, but none fell. 

My wife and I were having early morning coffee  at the time of the quake [had no idea it was going on]

the hanging basket started swinging in the kitchen

the Keweenaw rift was wiggling  enuf to keep the basket going for almost 8 hrs :huh:  

Mike

Didn't know anything about the quake until just now.

"sleeping in the basement"

Basements are a rare item here in the Delta due to our high ground water table, high rainfall, and high humidity levels.   I tend to forget how popular basements are up ya'lls way.

DD

I should have known better than to spill the beans on your bell grab plan. My apologies :) 

We had a good quake here in 2009 and it lasted about 45 seconds. It was about 4:15 am and I was thinking tornado and headed for the basement in a sleepy fog. About half way down the steps I thought....wait a second dummy... no storm?  Walked to the back door (still shaking) and looked outside to see a bright pumpkin orange colored moon and the sound of a freight train running off in the distance (the quake going away). It was strange to say the least. 

Well, after a week, I'm back home "for good" from Silver Creek. Sharon and I stayed there (not knowing about the earthquake) while Mike took his family to north of Seattle. We house sat, shop sat, oats sat (irrigated), chickens sat, dogs sat, cats sat and turtle sat. I'd made arrangements with Mike to take my wife on a little rough gravel road trip between Silver Creek and Wolf Creek, using his pickup. The name of the road is Chevalier road, named for an ancient homestead farm along the road. At one time, in the 1870's and 1880's, this road through this Little Prickley Pear Creek canyon was part of the "Benton Road." Due to the climb of the mountains, the freighters never used that area now utilized by Interstate 15, north of Helena. This is a photo of freighters between Fort Benton and Helena, Montana Territory.

5963d88dba150_FreightingbetweenFortBentonandHelenaimp.thumb.jpg.6fe932e136231a0656f270a37d653822.jpg

They took a "shortcut" through Little Prickley Pear Canyon, Crossed Silver Creek, then down Birdseye canyon and into Helena from the west, near where Fort Harrison is today. This was the only piece of that freighting road I could find on our venture. It is just this side of the railroad tracks here. This unused (not abandoned) railroad was put in by GNRY magnate Jim Hill. Hill built and named the railroad the Montana Central Railroad, between Butte / Anaconda and Great Falls to haul copper to the Great Falls Smelter. I'd surmise the railroad was built after the Benton Road was abandoned?

5963d8e7e7d36_ChevalierRoadBentonRoad7-7-17red.thumb.jpg.697e4af204659b2c50be66fb31d940c1.jpg

There is confusion here in Helena. We have what is called "Benton Avenue." It heads straight north toward the steep hills I'd mentioned Interstate 15 traversing. But there was actually a Benton Avenue. It is basically north of the central part of town, near Last Chance Gulch (Main Street). The wagon trains freighting came in from the west and turned up the gulch on Benton Avenue. It is a fairly short stretch of only about 8 blocks. It went to the earliest part of Helena, that started on the south end of the gulch. A little bit of that original road is still intact. This is a picture of an oxen bullwhacker hauling wood on the Benton road, in the earliest part of 151 year old Helena. Gary;)

5963d8a12702c_BullTeamFreighterFortBentonMTred.thumb.jpg.4d23934fe0223682ea471b1ac9f8be79.jpg

This was the steamboat TC Power packet Benton that my grandpa Jäger worked the most of the time on, as a baker and a hunter (jäger!) on the St. Louis to Fort Benton trips on the Missouri River. He worked the steamboats 1874 through 1876. He stayed in Benton the fall of 1876 and became a freighter in the spring of 1877. Notice the "Block P" emblem between the Benton's smokestacks.

5963e07ee1026_STeamboatBlockPBentonwithcrowdonboard.thumb.jpg.539e41c12a757a1ac4a29fa8800853f4.jpg

This was TC Power whose headquarters were in Fort Benton at the time Grandpa worked for him as a steamboat worker.

5963e0315485a_T.C.Power-ProgressiveMenofMontana.thumb.jpg.2a6f6eab6893fc2b77a40ad4584302eb.jpg

This was Power's Fort Benton headquarters in Benton.5963e181a9e5f_TCPowerBroFortBentonMontanaTerritory2-11-16red.thumb.jpg.79b79e035d392e3dd49e99166701828c.jpg

This was the type of merchandise that was hauled up river to Benton from St. Louis, for the mining camps in Montana Territory. There were many small camps, but Virginia City and Helena were the two main camps. It was piled on the levee after unloading from the steamboats.

5963e02288090_MiningEquipmentFrontStreetLevee1879.jpg.378548bbe707cf57f50393e6aa3c10c7.jpg

This is another picture of the Benton Road freighters used in Helena.

5963e1bf14c9f_MuleskinnerFreightwagonsHelena2-13-16-_edited-1.thumb.jpg.7c10206486202ce2a57c667e8fbb3cec.jpg

By the time Grandpa was freighting, Power had moved his MAIN headquarters to Helena. He started a hardware here 150 years ago and furnished his own merchandise. It was ran for Power by a may by the name of Townsend. So naturally Power Townsend Hardware in Helena, Montana is celebrating their 150th Anniversary this year! A few years ago, I went into Power Townsend hardware and took this selfie of myself under this "Block P" emblem. It was the one shown in my upper photo in this post, from the Steamboat Benton, that Grandpa Jäger worked on. Gary;)

5963e0be90352_BlockPselfieatPowerTownsendfromBentonSteamboat_edited-1.jpg.e6a03dcde3d2f42b1ed88da9bfcb7f7f.jpg

Well-------we are back on another good subject (wagon trains, bull whackers and mule skinners).

Looking at the pictures and thinking about the steep grades.  (if you go uphill-----most likely you are gonna go down the otherside.

Wagon brakes------did they operate brakes on more than the lead wagon????  If so-------how did they activate them???  Maybe some sort of inertia device???

Just wundering again------it can be dangerous when an old red-neck starts wundering!!:huh:

DD

13 minutes ago, Delta Dirt said:

Well-------we are back on another good subject (wagon trains, bull whackers and mule skinners).

Looking at the pictures and thinking about the steep grades.  (if you go uphill-----most likely you are gonna go down the otherside.

Wagon brakes------did they operate brakes on more than the lead wagon????  If so-------how did they activate them???  Maybe some sort of inertia device???

Just wundering again------it can be dangerous when an old red-neck starts wundering!!:huh:

DD

This worked in the movies....

FredFlinstoneBraking1.jpg

mader656, I know the front wagons had brakes used on hills. They also used these on the wagon wheels. They were tied to the wheel, somehow. They were called a "Rough Lock" for descending hills. They skidded, which braked. A junk store owner gave this one to me. I knew what it was and he didn't. He said, I'll give it to you since you were the only one I've asked what it was, who knew! I may have freighting lineage in my DNA, but I don't know that much about it. Gary;)

596462f8db8a5_RoughLocklikeatFergusCourthousered.jpg.0e907002731298a28c39741677afdf8b.jpg

Somewhere around here also is a other brake they used, the snubbing pole, a single round post a rope was looped around and the wagon was lowered down the hill. There is a huge painting of it in Yellowstone bank here in columbus, I believe the post was replaced so that it could be reenacted. 

Much more effective than flinstone braking....

5 hours ago, Delta Dirt said:

DD

Just guessin' here, but maybe they had the driver on the lead wagon and a "brakeman" on each of the other wagons just to operate the brakes?

I was always fascinated with the jerkline freighting done with horses. Grandma's Regli cousin and their neighbor Robert Keller at Lewistown. The freighter rode the left rear horse or mule, to pull the jerk line, and the front horse or mule had bells on their collar. When they reared their head, the rest of the horses or mules knew what to do.

5966fd51d33c3_JoeRegliRobertKellerjerklinefreightingJud_Mtns.thumb.jpg.046cbb5d324bb2c25fb7de30a32de9a1.jpg

Or done with mules:-_JerklineMulesonLastChanceGulch.jpg.fbb122c41d58d8f7efb13ca428aea755.jpg

5966fe3c21d21_FtBjerklinemulesred.jpg.6fe4866b05d6691d8822bd1426572525.jpg

And I've always been fascinated by the Bullwhackers, who freighted with oxen. The bullwhacker walked alongside the oxen, and used a bull whip to make his oxen do their thing. These are near Fort Benton.

5966fe5370364_BullwhackerbulltrainnearFtBenton.jpg.770cb76915971a559d068735052f18fd.jpg

And I've always loved this painting by cowboy artist, Charles M. Russell, who used to ride through Grandpa's homestead to get to Cottonwood, Montana from his Utica, Montana wrangler job. This painting is of a Diamond R bull train, bullwhacker and the wagon boss on horseback. The wagon train is coming up out of Fort Benton. Gary;)

5966fed7a26f6_WagonBossbullwhackerFtBentonMTTerrred.thumb.jpg.0693b43a1f7ed402231043fac4a7c30d.jpg

Thought you boys might enjoy seeing a   "20 Mule Team"  Wagon

Gary ,The  shop that built these Borax wagons is located in Joliet MT

Engels Coach Shop     Engels Coach Shop, Wheelwright, Blacksmith, Carriage Restorations.

Extremely relaxing video posted posted by ART---------relating to Charlie Russell's art.

and--

Extremely interesting video on the "20 mule team" wagons posted by Kevin. Those wagons are much larger than I ever imagined------and I see they had a brakeman on each wagon.

Never have seen a mule "jump the chain" before.

These were empty wagons------wonder what the old wagons weighed when loaded???

DD

On 7/13/2017 at 7:52 AM, Art From DeLeon said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Art, What a great blessing to America and Montana that Mrs. Russell sent Charlie to Montana in 1880. The west was fading away and he got to see enough of it and was blessed with the uncanny talent to record it with oil and canvas with an impeccable natural ability. (some water color too). He was a wrangler for the OH ranch company. This is a photo of the wranglers at roundup time. Charlie is third from the left, seated on ground, eating.

59697ec0d8505__CMRussellCowboyArtistnearUtica1882FCAred.thumb.jpg.8d29fb534bbab5ae58e4f2f8bdc6e002.jpg

While working as a wrangler for the OH Ranch, he was there near Utica, Montana on South Fork of the Judith River for the worst winter ever, the winter of 1886-87. His bosses were in the south for the winter. LE Kaufman was one of the owners and inquired about the condition of their herd. This is that most famous art ever done by Russell. The Last of the 5,000. It is under glass at the Montana Historical Society about a mile from here.

59697fbac299b_Lastof5000red.jpg.3cf589e0a9e90f1b47cfe3a567686f3d.jpg

This is a young CM Russell on his horse Monte.

59697ec66a07c_RussellCharleywrangleronPintoMontered.jpg.8d6c2ddea0a2eae934c00666b2fa1754.jpg

There's a tale that Charlie used to ride to Cottonwood and Lewistown. When making that journey from Utica, he went through, or right by Grandpa Jäger's homestead on Beaver Creek. He was still single then. I'd loved for some history beyond what I have, of those journeys. This is Charlie in Lewistown with friends. Rear: L-R Charlie Russell and Teddy Blue Abbott. Front: Jim Phillip and Sam Rayburn.

59697ed0e14d4_CharlieRussellTeddyBlueAbbottJimPhillipSamRayburn2red.thumb.jpg.af627e18333f8a014135958e991fcefc.jpg

A Facebook friend with more historical photos of Montana than anyone I know posted this one of Charlie.

59697f0fd8ece_CharlieRussellphotographGaryCoffrin.thumb.jpg.e9eaac212bff844068a952997b902b64.jpg

After moving to Great Falls, where his studio still stands today, he eventually married his wife, Nancy. Charlie would sometimes trade paintings at a saloon for drinks for his friends (and himself). Nancy put a stop to that. She recognized his uncanny ability to paint and became his "business manager." I guess she was a tough cookie to deal with too.

59697edd4e74a_CharlieNancyRussell.thumb.jpg.0d54ba0fb4e9f1f6d5501218a8fa60a6.jpg

This is Nancy and Charlie at the Fort Belknap Indian Reservation in 1905. Charlie had earlier lived with Indians for quite some time, to learn their dress, their looks, their weapons, their animals, their teepee's and accessories they'd wear. He gained much authenticity in his paintings for doing that. Many of his paintings were of the Indians.

59697ee816c46_NancyCharlieRussellatFtBelknap1905red.thumb.jpg.0e0c1181a9d6b72e0f57a10dd9d01a99.jpg

A later photo of Russell. My late uncle Dwight Haight used to visit Charlie Russell at his studio in Great Falls. Russell died in 1926.  Gary;)

59697ef41ff27_CharleyRussell.jpg.c6e8d247cde9b8ff6827e4a81fb771df.jpg