IH Tractors on Montana Farm

Old Binder Guy

I bumped into a couple of "cotton" pickin' pictures for Anson, on Facebook. And he likes horses too, from his association with his talking horse Wrangler.

post-5643-0-91142600-1450852025_thumb.jp

post-5643-0-76678400-1450852068_thumb.jp

Now, this picture, I know what is going on. Tubacase47, going for a drive on our IHC Farmall F12 a couple or so years ago. Gary ;)

post-5643-0-10011900-1450851973_thumb.jp

PS: This is an IH Tractor on a Montana Farm too!

I bumped into a couple of "cotton" pickin' pictures for Anson, on Facebook. And he likes horses too, from his association with his talking horse Wrangler.

Now, this picture, I know what is going on. Tubacase47, going for a drive on our IHC Farmall F12 a couple or so years ago. Gary ;)

Gary, speaking of horses, this one showed up on facebook today and I thought it might be interesting to some here. I question whether it is faked as I can't see two horses getting a load of logs that big started. They might keep it moving on snow and ice but any downhill run is going to see them run over by that load. Brakes on a sleigh?

Photographed in Michigan 1899. A library of congress photo.

post-90-0-39388600-1450884484_thumb.jpg

Gary, speaking of horses, this one showed up on facebook today and I thought it might be interesting to some here. I question whether it is faked as I can't see two horses getting a load of logs that big started. They might keep it moving on snow and ice but any downhill run is going to see them run over by that load. Brakes on a sleigh?

Photographed in Michigan 1899. A library of congress photo.

How did the lumberjack get all the way to top & how will he get down?

Maybe Randy Sohn knows someone with a Skycrane that could lift it out.

Actually I could just walk out on the ice and chop a hole around the mower, hook up a chain, etc. I'll see how inspired I feel next time I'm over there.

Come on, Ralph! You rescued the 1939 Ford and the 1952 Merc. You can do the mower too!! I know you can!!!!! B)

Some more of my Facebook gatherings: A late IH pickup posed at some small town dealership, like so many around Central Montana. Isn't that correct MN Red?

attachicon.gifIH Dealership in some small town with IH pickup.jpg

A much earlier McCormick-Deering IHC dealership with truck and tractors.

attachicon.gifIHC McCormick Deering dealership, tractors truck red.jpg

And I may have posted this one, but having been an IH parts man in my younger years, I like this anyway. Gary ;)

attachicon.gifInternational Harvester IH Service Parts Department in dealership.jpg

Love the 1st picture with the white binder! Looks like someone still cares for the older dealer building - the IH's & CC signage still look nice.

The service dept. picture must have been taken in the early fall???? I see they have a heater house displayed on the tractor.

The cotton palace - never heard of it. Of course, NW IL isnt exactly cotton country so I zero knowledge of cotton except I know that I wear it everyday when I put my t-shirts on in the morning. I don't think hauling cotton that way would fly today!

There's a slim :blink: chance that a couple of you may remember a set of posts I did back in 09 about an old country church. Here is a reminder link back to those posts: http://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/topic/22765-ih-tractors-on-montana-farm/page-549

The Lenora church only has services during special times of the year and one of those times is Christmas. We wanted to attend one of their evening programs, but in years past, there has always been something (usually weather) that prevented us from making the trip. This year the weather was good and we made the drive over there. It was truly a great experience with the sun setting as we got there (early, to make sure we could get a seat) and then seeing the lighting of the kerosene lanterns for the service. It was truly memorable . . hard to put into words. It was like going back to a different time, the soft light of the lanterns, the sound of the old reed organ, the warmth/smell of the wood burning stove . . a simpler and more peaceful time where the true meaning of Christmas could be experienced.

Here's wishing all of you a Merry Christmas and a Healthy/Happy New Year!

Below are a few photos taken before the service.

post-39341-0-30236700-1450886183_thumb.j post-39341-0-97044000-1450886211_thumb.j post-39341-0-26302200-1450886223_thumb.j post-39341-0-19196900-1450886241_thumb.j

post-39341-0-04022700-1450891134_thumb.j

Roger,

Thanks for posting about the Lenora Church! And it's fitting YOU got to kick over the odometer, my good friend! I'm betting DeeAnn was just as happy about making it there as well... MN Red will be pleased someone from Minnesota got to do that!

Ralph, I saw that picture there on Facebook too. I hate to say it is phony or real? The only thing I have to compare are these two photo of the Motichka Brothers logging near Columbia Falls, Montana years ago with four horses. They apparently pull fairly easily? I don't know?

post-5643-0-04427700-1450889699_thumb.jp

post-5643-0-65038400-1450889719_thumb.jp

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you, in case it slips my mind or I get too busy! Gary ;)

I know my old sled, restored, and retired to the wall always went downhill easily with me on it!

post-5643-0-97837500-1450890125_thumb.jp

Redneckchevy9,

Kids and tinkerers will always explore their outer limitations, I think? Inquisitive minds search for something new, it seems? That was likely the reason for that steam powered ice sled? And back then, they likely had more access to "steam parts" than gas powered parts? Here are some more ideas for travelling on ice.

post-5643-0-55597100-1450890167_thumb.jp

post-5643-0-49701300-1450890193_thumb.jp

And this Studebaker Electric automobile pulls a child on a sled down a street in some area of our country.

post-5643-0-53031900-1450890214_thumb.jp

Some of the old boys on Facebook were trying to identify the Studebaker Electric above. I posted this.

post-5643-0-66844200-1450890512_thumb.jp

And on my facebook page is this photo again, and again here, and again here, and again here. But you have to admit, it does look kind of "Christmassy" for an IH Tractor on a Montana Farm! Gary ;)

post-5643-0-67461500-1450890087_thumb.jp

I have a question, why the jerry can?

Two lads with some leftover steam parts, a saw blade, frozen water, and time on their hands. What more is there to know? Would it be a hazard if the boiler tipped?

I don't think the photo is faked. I am puzzled about how the log stack did not blow outward in the middle. Seems tenuous.

Two lads with some leftover steam parts, a saw blade, frozen water, and time on their hands. What more is there to know? Would it be a hazard if the boiler tipped?

I don't think the photo is faked. I am puzzled about how the log stack did not blow outward in the middle. Seems tenuous.

It appears to be chained at different levels, at least half way up.

It appears to be chained at different levels, at least half way up.

Some chains go pretty high and to different levels. Still looks kinda flimsy but probably better in person. Of course we still have reports of logging accidents today.

Kinda wondering what technique was used to heft them up that high.

I didn't get this annual picture of Rogerrrrr, errrrr, Santa Claus posted again this year. It's of he and Andy in the 1914 Model T years ago.

post-5643-0-20555300-1451147727_thumb.jp

I don't remember the particulars, but I know these are family, and maybe a niece and nephew of DeeAnn's posing in his neat old 1914 Model T Touring Car. It is a pleasure to drive this one!!

post-5643-0-47203400-1451147780_thumb.jp

This was Farmall Kid years ago at Deer Lodge, Montana's Old Prison Museum, when the Towe collection was still there. At the end of the visit, they had this 1914 Model T that you could get in and have your photo taken "driving it." Gary ;)

post-5643-0-77313300-1451147677_thumb.jp

PS: I hope you all had a very Merry Christmas! We sure did! The Montana half of our family went to Silver Creek and had a lovely meal and a great time with our family. Very Memorable.

I still don't know anything! A few things from Facebook... An IH 806 with the four wheel drive attachment and duals up front as well.

post-5643-0-89442300-1451164188_thumb.jp

A Farmall Cub ad:

post-5643-0-13485500-1451164452_thumb.jp

And a friend's Cub 100 Lowboy, named Minnie Pearl, and a Cub Demonstrator wearing a hard hat, obviously trying to make time with Minnie? Minnie has eyelash headlights and a hat with a $1.98 hat on her gas tank at all shows.

post-5643-0-06915100-1451164313_thumb.jp

This was the 4300 IH that was demonstrated at Mehmkes back in the 1960's and I can't remember where I got it? This was an IH Tractor on a Montana Farm, too! Gary ;)

post-5643-0-19507500-1451164536_thumb.jp

I still don't know anything! A few things from Facebook... An IH 806 with the four wheel drive attachment and duals up front as well.

attachicon.gifInternational IH 806 with 4X4 and dual wheels all around.jpg

A Farmall Cub ad:

attachicon.gifIH Farmall Cub son and dad.jpg

And a friend's Cub 100 Lowboy, named Minnie Pearl, and a Cub Demonstrator wearing a hard hat, obviously trying to make time with Minnie? Minnie has eyelash headlights and a hat with a $1.98 hat on her gas tank at all shows.

attachicon.gifIH Farmall Cub Demonstrator with hardhat, IH Cub 100 Lowboy, Minnie Pearl hat2.jpg

This was the 4300 IH that was demonstrated at Mehmkes back in the 1960's and I can't remember where I got it? This was an IH Tractor on a Montana Farm, too! Gary ;)

attachicon.gif4300 IH 4x4 tractor and plow at Mehmkes.jpg

I see that Cub ad had some advertisement telling you to tune in on saturday nights on NBC.............wonder if there was some sort of IH sponsorship with that show.

I can imagine that mounted plow on the 4300 weighed a few pounds & is that a lift chain running back to the top link of the tractor from the plow?

attachicon.gifInternational IH 806 with 4X4 and dual wheels all around.jpg

A Farmall Cub ad:

attachicon.gifIH Farmall Cub son and dad.jpg

attachicon.gifIH Farmall Cub Demonstrator with hardhat, IH Cub 100 Lowboy, Minnie Pearl hat2.jpg

attachicon.gif4300 IH 4x4 tractor and plow at Mehmkes.jpg

I see that Cub ad had some advertisement telling you to tune in on saturday nights on NBC.............wonder if there was some sort of IH sponsorship with that show.

I can imagine that mounted plow on the 4300 weighed a few pounds & is that a lift chain running back to the top link of the tractor from the plow?

redneckchevy9,

That would have been a radio program. When I started collecting photos in 1952, I was given a magazine with all sorts of photos of James Melton's antique automobile collection at Hialeah, Florida. James Melton was a famous singer at that time, and apparently IHC had him singing on their Sunday evening show? Don't ask me how I remember this... He had a good looking daughter about my age, in many of the photos in that magazine. Her name was Margo Melton! Now.... What did I have for breakfast??? :huh:

Thanks for answering the lift chain question for that 4300 plow lift. I remember that tractor could just lift that plow at the end of a furrow like it was a Farmall A with a vacuum lift cultivator! I can't remember if I mentioned it or not, about a 4300, but not only did it steer like a 4100 would, but it could also turn all wheels the same direction, front and rear, so it could crab sideways. I'm not sure where a guy would have used that, but they demonstrated it on a sidehill and it was impressive. I don't remember whether they were plowing that way or not?

Also I ran into this International Harvester dealership of Avery's, somewhere in the USA or Canada. Note the L-120 Pickup with the Farmall Cub in the box for demonstrations. The driver (business owner? Salesman?) is behind the wheel of the pickup. Then the Farmall M with the hydraulic loader. Neat old picture, for those of us old enough to remember when every little town had a dealership. Gary ;)

post-5643-0-63608500-1451339776_thumb.jp

that 4300 appears to have a quick hitch, i always assumed jd came out with it first. does anyone know.?

FSB,

I remember when we attended the demonstration at the Mehmke farm, they demonstrated a couple of times, unhooking the plow and re attaching again, to show the speed in which it could be done. The operator just backed under the plow hitch, lifted a little, then either had someone hook, or got off and hooked the chain, I don't remember anymore. I don't remember the exact year anymore. I know I was still driving my B-100 IH Pickup, that I traded in 1967.

post-5643-0-46274000-1451406228_thumb.jp

And I believe I see an IH Tractor on a Montana Farm! Gary ;)

Also I ran into this International Harvester dealership of Avery's, somewhere in the USA or Canada. Note the L-120 Pickup with the Farmall Cub in the box for demonstrations. The driver (business owner? Salesman?) is behind the wheel of the pickup. Then the Farmall M with the hydraulic loader. Neat old picture, for those of us old enough to remember when every little town had a dealership. Gary ;)

Our IH dealer sold a lot of L trucks here too Gary. I did a little search on that photo you posted and it appears to be in Saginaw , Michigan.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Avery%27s_Farm_Equipment,_Saginaw,_Mich_(84665).jpg

Ralph,

The L-line sold a bunch around our part of the country as well. It was the first real "new look" since 1936. The D-30 lines carried over into the KB-6 & 7 series, and the smaller K-1 through 5 were a take off of them. The brand new L series was to behold! Our family really dipped deeply into them. My cousin Bob bought a L-110, as did uncle Audie as well. Uncles, Bill, Fritz, Charley and Rudolph bought L-120's. Rudolph and Charley bought a L-170 truck, later on I bought a L-160. I also had a similar R-120 1953 pickup.

The only photo I have of one of them is uncle Bill's L-120, behind the Model T Coupe in this photo. It was one of few L-models with a chrome front bumper.

post-5643-0-78474400-1451421849_thumb.jp

However my cousins still have that L-170. I know they put a big IH V-8 many years ago.

Our son Mike (Farmall Kid) had a L-120-130, for lack of knowing what to call it. It was badged L-120, but had "one ton" running gear under it. Gary ;)

post-5643-0-39380800-1451421942_thumb.jp