IH Tractors on Montana Farm

Old Binder Guy

Yeah, Owen and Tom.... I knew that too! :rolleyes:

It was 90 degrees yesterday and I'd lifted the canopy and pulled the Waters governor off out of the body AGAIN. I think I've been chasing the wrong rat? Mike and I decided I should pull the upper rotating governor body apart. There is a spring inside that is causing it to stick, opening, and closing.

Maybe I should be looking for a Pickering, Judson or Edwards governor? I hate to give up on it, because the Waters governor used to work on this engine. It just quit working right is all. I'm starting to wonder if I'm bright enough to work on an engine anymore? I'm too proud (and tight? or broke?), I gue$$, to crate it up and $hip it to either of my friend$ who work on $uch thing$. Gary ;)

post-5643-0-54971900-1406209978_thumb.jp

I got a couple of these photos off of Facebook. The first is one of the aluminum hood 9-N Ford tractors built. I don't believe Henry sold them shiny, but the restorers like to show off their rare tractor.

post-5643-0-24551900-1406263012_thumb.jp

This was also there on Facebook; this picture of a 45 hp Minneapolis double tandem compound in North Dakota plowing. Someone has added a statement for diesel pickup owners.

post-5643-0-18012000-1406263040_thumb.jp

This is the John Deere plows that Minneapolis pulled, looking back from the engine.

post-5643-0-87748700-1406263052_thumb.jp

This is a rear view of the plow and engine. Gary ;)

post-5643-0-58590500-1406263437_thumb.jp

Troy Dairy,

The consensus on Facebook from the engine guys was it is pulling 21-bottoms. That's a pretty fair load, but it shouldn't have much trouble pulling them.

Charlie,

If I remember right, I might have your same "sprung" issue? I fight stuff all the time that I can't recall. Sometimes it hits right away and other times I can sleep on something and still can't remember the next day. But, I have some late friends and relative that would envy me not being able to remember and sleeping on it!

It almost smelled like a steam engine was fired up at Silver Creek this afternoon. Mike looked and saw the wind driven plume of smoke that had just recently started raging, as we had a nasty electrical storm a couple of nights ago. This one didn't get rained on, obviously. I took this soon after hearing the sirens coming up the highway, and from Mike's and Pam's deck.

post-5643-0-83170000-1406346369_thumb.jp

The wind was really clipping along today, really exacerbating (No, Anson, that's not a bad word! And the Red Power server didn't throw it out, either!) that forest fire. I took this picture 180 degrees from the fire and it was really "bluing" up the mountainside, about a half mile away. Notice how the lantern is blowing backward on the Case engine's canopy!

post-5643-0-99553000-1406346541_thumb.jp

I brought the 1926 Model T Coupe home from Silver Creek. Our church is having a hot dog feed after services this Sunday and they asked if I'd bring it (and my squeezebox). Then I decided, why not also drive it in Helena's Stampede & Fair parade tomorrow noon. I get to take my two grandkids from Silver Creek with me in the parade. It's going to be plenty tight inside, but we'll make it. Gary ;)

post-5643-0-30405400-1406346691_thumb.jp

From the looks of those hills I'd say lightning fires are common around those parts. Nevada has its fair share of those and I've seen a great many spots burned. Sometimes mountains. When high up in the mountains they are a scary thing up close and personal. Appears the homestead is reasonably isolated?

Glad somebody is enjoying summer this year :)

M Diesel,

Yes, these hills and mountains are prone to burning after lightening strikes.

I snapped this "semi-selfie" of Jacob and Granddad in the Lewis & Clark County Fair & Stampede Parade Saturday noon. He seemed to enjoy himself and really wanted to ride along.

post-5643-0-13678700-1406553622_thumb.jp

This is a quick picture I "snapped" (sort of like pre-digital days when we "dialed" someone) this picture of us driving on Helena's Last Chance Gulch walking mall. The 1866 building at left was once the Hauser Bank. I tried to get the "Bull Whacker" that is sort of hidden by the Placer Hotel. The bull whacker is something near and dear to my heart as I know Grandpa Jäger made plenty of trips freighting into Helena from Fort Benton(the world's innermost port) Montana Territory, before he homesteaded over in central Montana. The Placer has rumors that the gold mined from the building's excavation paid for the hotel? It's been argued it only added a couple of more floors than originally planned. And if I went through the walking mall this morning with the pickup, I'd be arrested and incarcerated! Gary ;)

post-5643-0-96257400-1406553597_thumb.jp

Great statue of Grampa Yaeger as the "bull-whacker"-----------from the look on Jacob's face, you musta been telling him about how many bulls were in the hitch----------------and how many miles away you could hear the "whack" of the whip!!!! (am hoping you showed him how far a real bull whacker could spit a stream of tobacco juice----------always heard a real good one could hit a coiled rattlesnake between the eyes at 300 yards---------either kill the rattlesnake dead in his tracks; or, at least send him home crying to his mama)

Following along the scheme of "show and tell" on this thread and while on the subject of statues--------here is a picture of the statue of one of my great, great, great.......grampas (Roger Conant in Salem, Mass.) Would have to stop and count up how many generations back----------but follows back from my great grandmother's side of the family. (located not too far from Kevingweq here on the forum)----and nope, I have never been there.

post-1200-0-24475400-1406577369_thumb.jp

As for me-----------I hope nobody says nothing about me, but if they do let it be: "well you are probably right---------but he sure wasn't an everyday/ordinary SOB!!!"

Delta Dirt

Avon, Ms 38723

DD that SOB does mean "sweet ole boy" doesn't it? ;):P

Anson,

It would make one wonder if your Great, Great, etc. Grandfather Roger Conant, and my Great X 8 Grandfather Miles Standish, ever crossed tracks a few years back? They were both in the northeastern part of the country.

Mike sent me this picture of Jacob and Heather with their .22's at the target range.

post-5643-0-89543200-1406598358_thumb.jp

My "fix" on the governor last Thursday failed on the 15 hp Case. Today, I climbed onto the deck of the Case to loosen the canopy bolts, in order to lift it and remove the governor again. I just thought how much I like "over the crankshaft" shots of steam engines and took this one with my phone. I think I found enough little things amiss that I believe the governor will work now. I hope it will anyway. I'm tired of waiting for a still (windless) day to lift the canopy, so I can remove the governor. I've seen an engine photo or two that had holes cut in the canopy for just such a purpose. Gary ;)

post-5643-0-27468600-1406598559_thumb.jp

Professor----

Would think their paths crossed-----wasn't alot of settlers up there at that time.

I would think there was a good chance that grampa Yaeger and my great grampa Sheldon may have encountered each other on some of the steamboat travels back and forth to St. LOUIS from Omaha or Nebraska City.

Alot of passengers and freight moved up and down the Missouri.

One thing that really amazes me about early history------is how much they moved around or travelled.

Delta Dirt

Avon, Ms 38723

And it wasn't easy.

For anybody that is in the Kansas City area and gets a chance...

Sank in 1856, 5 miles west of KC.

http://1856.com/arabias-story/headn-west/

http://1856.com/arabias-story/the-adventure-begins/

The Arabia sank with over 200 tons of cargo. Found in 1987 under a farmers field about 45 feet down in the silt. Most of the cargo was recovered. Much of it is on display. Everything from shoes to sawmills.

It sank in 15 feet of water, but fast water tore off the top decks within two days. Scour recessed the hull into the bottom and it was gone. No one died except the mule, which was said by the owner to not want to leave, but the skeleton were found with reins still tied to a post.

The same guys later dug up another steam boat about 100 miles east of KC in the Mo river. It had one of the earliest known steam engines to exist in USA, somewhere around 1820 if I recall correctly. Also on display.

Interesting story M Diesel-----------I see they mention shipping saw mills. My great grampa and his brother in law stopped off and homesteaded land in Nebraska in 1856 on their second trip to the California gold fields. They imediately bought a small existing saw mill that got washed away shortly after their purchase------------and in the written history; it talks about them going back east and purchasing a bigger saw mill and having it shipped in by steamboat to Nebraska City (along the Missouri River).

Their settlement was along Weeping Water Creek-----------around what is the small town of Nehawka, Nebraska now; south of Plattsmouth and west of the Missouri by about 30 miles.

The mule lost on the sinking of the Arabia would have been a valuable piece of machinery to the owner once he got further out west----------might have been heading up to Montana to plow up some of those silver and gold coins the Professor tells us about!!!!!.

Delta Dirt

Avon, Ms 38723

May be, may be indeed!!! :lol:

Too bad the site pictures don't do justice to the exhibit. In many ways the trove is highly redundant with things like crates of locks with skeleton keys, but it definitely worth a visit. Guns, shoes, boots, rope, chains, clothing, dishes (beautiful ones too, the women on tour were all enthralled) horse and livestock supplies and large quantities of food items. You can easily spend several hours browsing around. One of the speakers present was one of the brothers that dug it out. Very informative.

I thought it interesting to find out the paddle wheel has two long metal rods connecting back to the engine proper. (They saved one paddle wheel and the stern with rudder.) These rods are maybe 30 feet and about 2 inch diameter. Only one was connected to control the engine, the other hanging out in space next to it. I thought perhaps the other apparatus was lost but this was not true. The rods were for a dual power arrangement so only one was used at a time. So it essentially had a gear shift. They were terminated on different cam wheels at the paddle wheel crankshaft. It seemed a little odd how it was done considering the other advanced features on the engine. It had various heat exchangers and pumps in places you did not expect.

Another feature of the display is that it is all there. Nothing has been sold off. They opened a perfume bottle and it was still fine so they had it analyzed and duplicated. You could try it although it was noted to be rather strong, probably to compensate for the bathing rituals of the day. The most amazing part is that those perfume bottles were not specially sealed. They had the standard little glass perfume jug with a glass stopper, but the fit was so good on many of them that nothing got in or out.

And there was food on board. Much of it was still intact and edible. Pickles, jam, jars of various fruits ranging from apples to gooseberries. Most was packed for pie fillings etc.

The sinking affected a lot of towns along the way. All of these cargo items were purchased in advance and then shipment was arranged. So the wreck created a total loss for many. One town had purchased a lot of equipment and lost everything. The town went broke and ceased to exist. We were told there was insurance paid out of $10,200, so not everybody lost their shirts. But some did.

M Diesel,

Error 500!! That was really interesting about the Steamboat Arabia. I've always wondered how separately or independent the side wheeler paddles operated from each other? Two hundred tons is lots of merchandise to go down and I can see how a town could have been bankrupted by that. They probably could hardly afford it in the first place?

Anson,

I guess we can always think our forefathers knew each other and visited? My grandpa may have misled your grandpa, if they did meet up? I didn't know mine, as he died in 1920. Somehow, I can imagine him in his off hours, in strange towns?

I don't have much to post. This first picture is a Life photo that I absconded from Facebook, of a steam locomotive being rebuilt. It's amazing the brute force they had for such things back then.

post-5643-0-05837900-1406687621_thumb.jp

This was another photo from FB of a New York Central Railway streamliner steam locomotive.

post-5643-0-59485400-1406687857_thumb.jp

I guess I should have said, I got all of these photos from Facebook? This next one is of a Holt steam traction engine watering up in Africa.

post-5643-0-74377500-1406688063_thumb.jp

And this is another Holt steamer and crew in California. Gary ;)

post-5643-0-55980400-1406688085_thumb.jp

I got a "server non-accessable" message also-------------so, there musta been some technical problems. All other sites on my computer were working.

It wasn't uncommon for steamboat passengers to take along their horse or mule----------sometimes considerable livestock (including chickens) would be on board.

Reminded me of some of my "stories" about an old farmland appraiser from here locally and his "famous horse" Wrangler catching the steamboat for a ride down to the Natchez area to inspect some farmland (as if back in the steamboat era)-----------my wife printed some of them out and has them hanging on the wall here by my computer. Just checked the date on some of that---------all going on about the same time of year in 2008. (this thread just keeps on rolling-----one subject to another)

And---------I had just visited the Mud Island exhibit in Memphis. A stop well worth stopping by for anybody down in that area--------they have a steamboat exhibit as well as a concrete mock up model of the Mississippi River on display. The American Cut-Off (just West of where we live) was made on the Mississippi River in 1858-----------the old boy pictured below was the first pilot to carry his steamboat through the fresh cut----------said he almost lost the boat; not gonna try that again!!!!!

post-1200-0-32937700-1406689156_thumb.jp

(Mark Twain aka: Sammuel Clemens)

And--------while on the River theme; here is a tribute to my son's big yellow lab (Wookie). Reb had to have Wook put to sleep today----------would have been 15 this coming November------age took its toll-----None of us can live forever. That boy and that dawg were as close as you can get. Wook loved riding the River when Reb was fishing---------note the ears floating in the wind @ approx 30 mph!!!!!

post-1200-0-56625200-1406689576_thumb.jp

Photo taken approximately 6---8 miles north of American Cut-Off-----------near Greenville, Ms. Lots of history along any navigable river------------and most of it colorful!!!! ;):huh:

Delta Dirt

Avon, Ms 38723

Sad to hear about Wook.

I'll have to check into the paddle wheels as I had the same question. There is only one engine and wheel on display. It did have a fairly large rudder but not huge. The boat only had a 4 1/2 foot draft fully loaded at 220 tons cargo.

Apparently it hit a snag. They tend to point down river due to the current, making big spikes under water. It sank in less than 15 minutes. We were told the average life of a Missouri riverboat was about 4 years before calamity took it.

We ran out of time to see it all. May go back soon, it is an easy drive at the moment.

I was under the impression that the side wheelers were primarily operated by twin engines-------and therefore much more manueverable.

Seems like they all had a rudder (or rudders).

Wook was a great dog-------named after Reb's JUCO football coach Wookie Gray. Coach Wook had a dog he named Reb----------so Reb named his pup after Coach Wookie. Unfortunately------they have both passed on now. And-------Reb loved them both.

I always have said that God placed the pets here to help people understand life. Their life is compressed vs. human life-----moves along much faster right in front of us--------but it's still life. Always hurts--------always gotta move forward.

DD

Several years ago there was an article about the "Arabia" in The Furrow.

There was also a steamboat named "The Bertrand", that was recovered in the DeSoto Bend National Wildlife Refuge between Missouri Valley, Iowa, and Blair, Nebraska..

http://www.fws.gov/refuge/Desoto/wildlife_and_habitat/steamboat_bertrand.html

This is very near where Farmer Tony's main farm is. I grew up <30 miles away, and have never been there.

The fellow that finds those steamers lives in my home town of Sgt. Bluff, IA. A recent article in the paper said he is retiring from the sunken steamboat hunting business. He has been doing it for over forty years and has found around 200 that sunk in the Missouri.

Ron

Anson,

I'm sorry to hear about Wook. We've parted with two fantastic German Shepherds over the years and my heart still goes back there. Now Mike's Princess is getting older and we'll probably look at this same thing in the not so far future? She is my "cookie" eater and companion at Silver Creek. I got a new box for her yesterday.

Anson and M Diesel,

The stern wheeler steamboats had two cylinders, but acted just like a double cylinder steam traction engine. They both turned the same "crankshaft" (the shaft the paddle wheel was on), so with quartering journals, they always had power to start the wheels. Now the side wheeler, apparently had what would have been a pair of single cylinder engines, one for each side, operating independently. I was on a steam powered ferry in San Francisco and it has a door to each side paddle. They could put a (?) bar or plank through the hole to get it off of dead center, as it had a dead center at each end of the stroke. I didn't know if all side wheel steamboats were the same or not?

This is your acquaintance there on the Mississippi, Anson. I don't know if Grandpa ever met him or not?

post-5643-0-19207900-1406728430_thumb.jp

Art,

I'd seen that website about the Bertrand a couple of years ago. That was very interesting.

It's made me curious. The steamboat Tacony was one of two steamboats sunken by snags on "UL Bend" in northeast central Montana. The bell from the Tacony was originally on Helena's "Fire tower." It has been rebuilt and the bell is at the Helena Fire Department.

post-5643-0-89127300-1406729521_thumb.jp

If it was the Tacony that my dad got the steamboat whistle from in circa 1920, I'd be curious? It must be the Tacony, as the other one is the steamboat Red Cloud and in I the photo I have, the whistles aren't the same. I don't have a picture of the steamboat Tacony.

post-5643-0-98814700-1406730008_thumb.jp

This is the steamboat whistle (tall one on left) Dad removed from that steamboat on UL Bend. Gary ;)

post-5643-0-39948800-1406728813_thumb.jp