IH Tractors on Montana Farm

Old Binder Guy

Fill me in on how the wood "gasification" process actually worked-------(mechanical process).

Will have to check in on the Iron Age magazine-----I had a subscription at one time-----reckon it expired and I never realized it. (like too many other happenings nowadays------all ties into the multi-tasking the Professor was just speaking of)

DD

Anson,

I'm no authority on "gasification" but somehow through the burning of the wood, it creates gas fumes that are flammable and are sent to some type of carburetion system that allows the engine to operate on those fumes. It almost sounds like something a redneck mountain man would devise, but I guess it works? I'm no authority on that process. Mike was telling me that on one of his reality shows, the "good guys" (with farmer tans) [i.e., rednecks] got something or another running this way, or I'd not known how to answer you at all.

Gary ;)

PS: Iron Age (I don't get paid a red cent) tries to replicate the old Iron Men Album Magazine of Rev. Elmer Ritzman's of yesterdecade, using mostly vintage photos of old steam and gas engines. Scott does a good job. I try to occasionally contribute something. GY

Hey Roger-----

Just finished watching the Root River show on RFD TV----------didn't see enough of the train; but the tail end of the train was the opening shot-----and sometime later we saw the train come by showing the engineer in his railroad hat and overalls------only complaint: the engineer wasn't laying on the whistle!!!!!! (looks like they kept you loaded)

Really looks like ya'll have a great show there-----lots of activities---------pass on my compliments to all that are involved.

And------I do know about "staging-----edits-----misquotes from the camera crews/news media. Too long a story to get into here. But this presentation came across great-----we were impressed!!!!

DD

Mike and I built an iron rack for shafting, brass, aluminum, etc. outside the metal shop door. Mike was welding the narrowed (both sides) and shortened, from a piece he had.

post-5643-0-75149300-1381464449_thumb.jp

While he went for the kids, I painted it and the concrete truck came shortly afterward.

post-5643-0-94388000-1381464460_thumb.jp

Mike is shown here after screeding the concrete of his front sidewalk; something he wanted done before winter. Gary ;)

post-5643-0-95455500-1381464474_thumb.jp

PS: Roger, I missed RFD TV, but will catch it again sometime. We had an important phone call we had to tend to.

Another bit of history I like to bring up now and then . This spot I am combining with the 1660 was always known as "the old setting" as it was the location where my grandfather would have set up the threshing outfit. A good level spot in a fairly central location on the three quarters. It was always a patch of prairie when I was a kid but we broke it up in the 1980s. I remember finding bits of cinders that must have been the residue from the fires when they burned the straw piles. No steam engines ever worked on this farm.

post-90-0-91077600-1381469210_thumb.jpg

I dont have one thing for today. So here's a couple of pictures of, likely different (unless the cab went away later), Type F Rumely Oilpull kerosene tractors. Gary ;)

post-5643-0-12766900-1381537217_thumb.jp

post-5643-0-13767200-1381537204_thumb.jp

Oh... tomorrow is Farmall Kid's birthday. They're coming here for Grandma's homemade chicken & noodles, etc. This Cake was given to him at Fort Harrison in 2007, but it is still relevant today! Happy birthday, Mike! I love you!.... Paw

post-5643-0-80685400-1381537343_thumb.jp

Here is an IH tractor on my Sask. farm today. I had no luck with the wheat which refuses to dry down below 17% moisture so I tried the JD 7721 in the flax field. First sample was not dry at 10.7 but a second test was 8.7 so I might be able to roll tomorrow if the weather co-operates.

post-90-0-64395300-1381632029_thumb.jpg

Here is an IH tractor on my Sask. farm today. I had no luck with the wheat which refuses to dry down below 17% moisture so I tried the JD 7721 in the flax field. First sample was not dry at 10.7 but a second test was 8.7 so I might be able to roll tomorrow if the weather co-operates.

We'll sure hope that IH Tractor on a Saskatchewan Farm can keep rolling through those windrows. Gary ;)

I don't know where I came up with this picture of a couple of 1925 Model T automobiles in this Ford Dealership in Rockville, Maryland? It appears there is a Fordor Sedan, a Coupe and a Touring Car in the distance. At left on the bench is a coil tester that would go well on a bench at Silver Creek. I sure like these old dealership pictures. The picture came to me as 1926, which could be the actual date of the photo. Sorry I don't know SOMETHING, this morning. Gary ;)

post-5643-0-09391900-1381762209_thumb.jp

PS: I do know it is raining in Helena, I guess.

Since I don't have much else to post, I'll put this picture of the F-12 and TD-40, bedded down for the winter. However, if the weather warms up, I plan to crank up the TD-40 and get it prepared for paint. I need to make it gray again so I can put on the decals I got from MBCat. These would constitute an IH Tractor on a Montana Farm too.

post-5643-0-13520900-1381842706_thumb.jp

This is a picture of the McCormick-Deering dump rake. Gary ;)

post-5643-0-82740800-1381842717_thumb.jp

Since I don't have much else to post, I'll put this picture of the F-12 and TD-40, bedded down for the winter. However, if the weather warms up, I plan to crank up the TD-40 and get it prepared for paint. I need to make it gray again so I can put on the decals I got from MBCat. These would constitute an IH Tractor on a Montana Farm too.

attachicon.gifMcCormick-Deering F-12, TD-40 bedded down 10-4-13 red.jpg

Gary, first thing that caught my eye on your hay rake photo was the old tires hanging on the axles. It seems they did this here too and I think it was to prevent the hay wrapping on the axles. I had a flax straw burning day a couple of years ago and the fire went through the bush where the old hay rake was parked. I thought it would be ok and just the grass would burn around it but the tire on one side caught fire. It burned so hot that some of the wheel spokes were warped. I was a little disappointed to see that. I don't even know for sure what make it is but would suspect either IH or MH.

attachicon.gifMcCormick-Deering F-12, TD-40 bedded down 10-4-13 red.jpg

Gary, first thing that caught my eye on your hay rake photo was the old tires hanging on the axles. It seems they did this here too and I think it was to prevent the hay wrapping on the axles. I had a flax straw burning day a couple of years ago and the fire went through the bush where the old hay rake was parked. I thought it would be ok and just the grass would burn around it but the tire on one side caught fire. It burned so hot that some of the wheel spokes were warped. I was a little disappointed to see that. I don't even know for sure what make it is but would suspect either IH or MH.

Ralph,

You're right about the old tires. These two happen to be motorcycle tires, as the old ones that came on it were just about all rotted away, and it was obvious they had been worn out prior to rotting out. The tires seemed to keep hay from wrapping around the rake frame, from the spoked wheels lifting hay that was being dragged behind the rake, from wheel to wheel. I could have put a couple of old 30 X 3-1/2" Model T Tires on it, but the old tires I have are still good enough for a trailer, I hope to put together before too many years.

On your thread, Ralph, Ron had mentioned liking the little three point disk Mike uses behind his 300 Utility. It really is a neat little disk. Mike bought the disk at his price, but had to "take" the Anderson Rock Picker that came with it. It is on the far side of the old coil shank chisel plow he uses.

post-5643-0-70303700-1381971773_thumb.jp

This is the Anderson Rock Picker, built here in Helena, Montana, I guess.

post-5643-0-62698100-1381972085_thumb.jp

The "house side" of Silver Creek is very rocky and there are rocky spots on the "cropland" side of the creek as well, but the actual cropland is quite clean of rocks, but still not "Missouri River Bottom, like Ron talked about in Ralph's thread, when we were discussing the Anderson Rock Pickers there.

post-5643-0-94861100-1381971831_thumb.jp

We used these two plows to break up the cropland. The near plow is a 4-bottom IHC plow and the far plow is an IHC 5-disk plow. Gary ;)

I guess the best I can do is An IH Plow on a Montana Farm?? :mellow:

post-5643-0-42392500-1381971866_thumb.jp

Thanks to Ralph, I was able to steal..... er... procure this from Facebook. A circa 1936 IH D-30 fuel tanker truck, and a darn fancy one at that! We had a D-30 on the farm, that was the "new truck" I remember riding in as a kid, but it wasn't "nuthin" like this! Gary ;)

attachicon.gifIH D-30 gas tanker.jpg

That would be a eally neat truck to own.

The truck is neat, but think the rock picker would suit me better right now <_<

Then again, got enough Farmalls that maybe the truck would be appropriate :lol:

After all, we got this new monster to feed :)

post-546-0-77219700-1382040662_thumb.jpg

PS: The Cub and the TD18 behind it were built within a few months of each other. Both are 49 models. Have to get them together for a pose.

Thanks to Ralph, I was able to steal..... er... procure this from Facebook. A circa 1936 IH D-30 fuel tanker truck, and a darn fancy one at that! We had a D-30 on the farm, that was the "new truck" I remember riding in as a kid, but it wasn't "nuthin" like this! Gary ;)

attachicon.gifIH D-30 gas tanker.jpg

That would be a really neat truck to own.

Our D-30 didn't have those flush headlights. They're neat.

The truck is neat, but think the rock picker would suit me better right now <_<

Then again, got enough Farmalls that maybe the truck would be appropriate :lol:

After all, we got this new monster to feed :)

attachicon.gifIMG_7125 49 Cub - 49 TD18.JPG

PS: The Cub and the TD18 behind it were built within a few months of each other. Both are 49 models. Have to get them together for a pose.

M Diesel,

That's a neat little Cub Tractor. It was the first "thing" I ever drove. It must be running interference for the TD-18? Gary ;)

I stayed busy at Silver Creek today. I finished removing the "merchandise" that was in an old drawer cabinet I got at the junk shop, then filled the cabinet with my springs assortment. I worked on it for at least 6-hours in my past two trips out there. I was glad to get it finished. Now when I'm looking for a spring when repairing or building something, the smaller ones are in order in this cabinet. If I need larger springs, I still have to dump out coffee cans to see what's in them.

Mike's floor heat keeps the shop at 50 degrees, where he set the thermostat. He used to anticipate the days I was coming and had the boiler run a little more to raise the temperature to 55. Last spring we installed an air tight wood stove that was nearly new, from a cabin we used to have at Hungry Horse, Montana. Mike bought the fine$t stainless steel smokestack for the attic area and out the roof. I go in and grab a handful of his off-cut scraps he saves from his wood working, I throw them in and a dab of kerosene and a lighter, and it's going. Before long, it reminds me I need to take off my jacket. It was trying to snow today, but the stove makes you forget that. ALSO, I was at the junk store a few days ago and they had that blue "typewriter" stand that the Milwaukee chop saw is on. It sets on the floor solidly, or has casters that go down with a foot pedal. It wobbled all over the floor at the junk shop and I'm assuming that's why someone got rid of it. I figured I could put washers between the bottom of the socket and the casters. Heck, there was a pair of slotted holes that the caster mount was fastened to. I took my trusty 4" crescent out of my pocket, loosened two 1/4" bolts and the caster mount fell to the floor, making it even with the others. I tightened the bolts and I was in business. I'd been looking for one, but didn't think I'd find on as cheap as this one was.

post-5643-0-64673100-1382061030_thumb.jp

I've joined an IH Tractor group on Facebook, so I took some fresh pictures of our "new" IH (Farmall) Tractors on a Montana Farm, and will post this one on that site in a few minutes. Gary ;)

post-5643-0-29768800-1382061157_thumb.jp

Interference? Well, somebody has to protect the 18 :lol:

It has a lot of little quirks, but they are dropping of the list fast. Been parked for quite a while and it was looking like some problems were way serious. Hydraulics were stuck, no coolant, PTO, leaky axles etc. But everything is cleaning/freeing up nicely. A new muffler from IH store topped it off real nice and it runs around like a champ.

Looking to get a sickle for it :) It is the new "go to" tractor for mowing fence rows, hauling brush with trailer, and leveling out dirt after the 18 has been busy. We put a spike toothed drag behind it and the little bugger is real handy for cleaning up crawler tracks and bumps. And it is IH on a Missouri farm.

Nephew Sammy has taken a shine to it and wants to buy it with his snow plowing money from last winter.

I noticed you have a "Miracle Heat " stovepipe heater ,In my opinion one of the best

little inventions out there for reclaiming otherwise lost heat ,mines goin on

15 yrs old , just gotta remember to run the pipe cleaner in and out every day or so.

Thank you for all the fantastic pictures you have posted on this thread !

Kevin

I noticed you have a "Miracle Heat " stovepipe heater ,In my opinion one of the best

little inventions out there for reclaiming otherwise lost heat ,mines goin on

15 yrs old , just gotta remember to run the pipe cleaner in and out every day or so.

Thank you for all the fantastic pictures you have posted on this thread !

Kevin

Thanks for that bit of advice on the Miracle Heater, Kevin. I try to do it at least once per day out there. You can feel the crusty soot on the tubes, when you pull this cleaner out. It will be a good reminder for this old steam guy to think, each time, "I wish cleaning the INSIDE of boiler tubes happened this fast!" I'm glad you can put up with my nonsense and like the pictures. I'm cutting this short this morning as I have a dental in a half-hour. Gary :(

Since I have nothing else to post, I'm putting this picture here as well as on Ralph's "ads" thread this morning. It was my IH 300 Utility after I'd overhauled the engine, added 350 pistons, and painted it. There are some other IHC things in the picture at the Lewistown homestead as well.

post-5643-0-17415300-1382200305_thumb.jp

And I still get to operate one occasionally. This is Mike's 300 Utility that is the workhorse at Silver Creek. These are IH Tractors on a Montana Farm!

post-5643-0-39340500-1382200504_thumb.jp

I've still got the remains of a few of these stuck to the bumper of my 1100 from a trip I took to Big Sandy a few years back.

post-6771-0-44714500-1382245169_thumb.jp