IH Tractors on Montana Farm

Old Binder Guy

OBG, maybe you already know, but I just came across the official name for those lugs on the F12. The "Farmall Farming" brochure has a hay section on page 28 and lists them as "meadow lugs". There is also an front mounted rake for gathering hay and a tandem mower setup. All are shown on F20s.

Ron,

I'm waiting for you to ask me about the lanterns above the 15 hp Case in the last photo I posted.... :ph34r:

Twostepin2001,

I didn't know that some of the old cow outfits had their own barbed wires? The Scutts, like Grandpa's, seems to be a common type for the early wires? It came up easily on Google and I remember researching it for Sharon's book in the late 1990s, and it wasn't hard to find information then. Gary ;)

Gary,

I noticed the lanterns alright. We have been sort of busy ducking tornadoes around here, so I have not done any posting. Weather service says maybe as many as 16 tornadoes in this 3 state area of Nebraska, S.Dakota, and Iowa. Much damage. Wayne, NE hard hit, Macy, NE, Winstone, S. Dak, Alta, IA, farm buildings and houses demolished near Sloan, IA, Bronson, IA, Moville, IA, Pierson, IA and I don't know what all as far as farms go in NE. and S.Dak. Many, many acres of corn blown down flat and center-pivot irrigators blown over. The one going from the Sloan area to Moville passed not over 1/2 mile from my place, and it was about a mile wide wedge tornado. Some injuries, but no fatalities that I am aware of.

You have more lanterns than I. They can come in handy at times. My kerosene lanterns I do not use, but the Coleman lanterns I keep operational for storm duty when the power is out. Kerosene lamps in the house, of course. I was more interested in looking at the mix across the wall. Insulated coveralls, Hudson sprayers, picnic basket. lotsa goodies, for sure. The beef we had butchered lately seems to be a tough one. I may have to have you come grind him up for hamburger, seeing as how you have plenty enough grinders. :) But I read that posting before I looked at the photo, so I looked at the grinders before the tractor. All out of order, now, but with the weather calmed down I think I can get back to regular programming.

Ron

Them old crop dusters see everything Professor--------including all the "sweet things" lounging around the swimming pools!!!!!

Really been some strange weather all over for past few days. We've had heavy t-storms most all night (maybe 4---5")-------just clearing out-------but apparently no wind damage. Not good for crops in the field)-----really hate to see the storm reports from the west/midwest area; know ya'll are just getting started good with harvest.

Good news is that we planted wildlife food plots yesterday-----so they should come right up-----deer will be fed good for winter!!! I spent the afternoon in the 2090 pulling the Howard Rotavator and then the cultipacker after nephew George spread seed with 4 wheeler.

1/2 day work damx near did this old codger in!!!!!

Keep an eye on things R-C.

DD

Them old crop dusters see everything Professor--------including all the "sweet things" lounging around the swimming pools!!!!!

Really been some strange weather all over for past few days. We've had heavy t-storms most all night (maybe 4---5")-------just clearing out-------but apparently no wind damage. Not good for crops in the field)-----really hate to see the storm reports from the west/midwest area; know ya'll are just getting started good with harvest.

Good news is that we planted wildlife food plots yesterday-----so they should come right up-----deer will be fed good for winter!!! I spent the afternoon in the 2090 pulling the Howard Rotavator and then the cultipacker after nephew George spread seed with 4 wheeler.

1/2 day work damx near did this old codger in!!!!!

Keep an eye on things R-C.

DD

Yeppir!!! One time I flew over a couple canoes going down a stream. Both canoes of naked gals went overboard thinking they were hiding in that crystal clear Minnesota stream. :):) I circled over them for 15 minutes. Alas, there was no place to land. :( Funniest dang thing I ever was involved in. I am still chuckling about that one and it was 35 years ago. Those gals likely won't fit in the canoe now. I know I wouldn't.

Ron

I don't know about Anson and Ron discussing this XXX stuff from the air. I'm sure that crystal clear stream acted like a magnifier, Ron? If you could have found a strip to land on, were you going to explain the alligators you spotted from the air? :ph34r:

I don't have much to post, so I'll put on some pictures a Moore classmate's widow sent me from a Lewistown area "used car" lot. I don't know how brisk of business this outfit does, but I visited with a Facebook "friend" from Ohio, who drove there with a pickup and trailer to pick up a 193(6,7?) Chevy Coupe like one he had in high school. Gary ;)

post-5643-0-32594800-1381100081_thumb.jp

post-5643-0-69448500-1381100096_thumb.jp

post-5643-0-76084000-1381100292_thumb.jp

Talking about these XXXX conversations is OK since it is all 35 yr old memories.

Seems like a man goes through several types of sex in their lifetime-----let's see:

(1) dream sex----------as as kid

(2) real sex--------short period of time right after he gets married

(3) oral sex-------where he talks about sex

(4) memory sex------still talk about it; but not quite sure of what we are talking about

(5) senile sex-------where the old codger thinks old tractors look better than women; and he gets screwed on most old tractor transactions he is involved in

And-------I don't know what is next??? I do know that old tractors are much more economical than young or old women!!!!!!!!!!!

DD

I like old tractors, but I have yet to have a Farmall M bake me a home made Apple pie. Come to think about it, my wife does not bake me pies either. If it were not for my DIL, I would be totally pieless.

Charlie

I tell you guys, it really WAS funny! When those girls bailed out of the canoes, the canoes naturally tipped over spilling the contents. Picnic baskets that maybe had food in them as well as suntan lotion, dunno. But the funny part was.......the swimsuits had been in the bottom of the canoes and they were floating downstream with the canoes. The girls didn't know whether or not to get up and wade after their suits or stay in the water hiding from me. I was ferrying between potato farms 90 miles apart, so I could not stick around due to fuel supply. I have no idea how things ever turned out, but I bet they all still remember that day just as I do.

Ron

I don't know about Anson and Ron discussing this XXX stuff from the air. I'm sure that crystal clear stream acted like a magnifier, Ron? If you could have found a strip to land on, were you going to explain the alligators you spotted from the air? :ph34r:

I don't have much to post, so I'll put on some pictures a Moore classmate's widow sent me from a Lewistown area "used car" lot. I don't know how brisk of business this outfit does, but I visited with a Facebook "friend" from Ohio, who drove there with a pickup and trailer to pick up a 193(6,7?) Chevy Coupe like one he had in high school. Gary ;)

attachicon.gifLewistown old cars 002_edited-1.jpg

attachicon.gifLewistown old cars 004_edited-1.jpg

attachicon.gifLewistown old cars 003 Dodge_edited-1.jpg

Gary,

I could really get interested in that used car lot. My pocket book just wouldn't allow it.

Ron

Yeppir!!! One time I flew over a couple canoes going down a stream. Both canoes of naked gals went overboard thinking they were hiding in that crystal clear Minnesota stream. :):) I circled over them for 15 minutes. Alas, there was no place to land. :( Funniest dang thing I ever was involved in. I am still chuckling about that one and it was 35 years ago. Those gals likely won't fit in the canoe now. I know I wouldn't.

Ron

Ron, no doubt if that happened these days you would have your camera phone with you and be able to post pictures of the interesting sights you saw that day. :rolleyes:

And Gary, since you brought up the subject of old cars this might be a good time to post this one of one of my favourites, the 54 Bel Air.

post-90-0-75365400-1381126271_thumb.jpg

Ralph,

That was a great picture you posted of the 1954 Chevy Belair. I had to search a minute or two to find the car! Sharon's cousin Steve Simpson had a neat cinnamon and white colored 1954 Belair hardtop when I was in high school at Moore(Eddies Corner), Montana a few years back.... 52 (years), to be exact. He had the manifold "split" and it had that great old 6-cylinder Chevy smooth, roar to it.

I had to use this encore photo today, of our old 1937 Plymouth Coupe.... the one I came home from the hospital in. This would have been about 1939 or 40, judging from my 5-year older brother Bill's size, and this was taken in front of our house at the homestead. My mom, God rest her soul, would have been 100 years old today. Happy Birthday and I wish I could make up for some of my shortcomings...

post-5643-0-16566400-1381155523_thumb.jp

This was my only living grandparent, in my lifetime; Grandma Hamilton, Mom's mom, with me and Mom as I was preparing to fly out of the Lewistown Airport in June 1961, as I was heading to Fort Ord, California in a DC-3. We stopped at every milk stop all the way down through Montana, Wyoming and Colorado. By the time we landed at Denver, I thought someone had stuck ice picks into both of my ears, from riding the old non-pressurized ships. Gary ;)

post-5643-0-31669900-1381156547_thumb.jp

I don't have anything to post today, so I'll back up ten yards and punt. This first picture is of a three wheel tractor by the name Ebert. I don't know what it did exactly, as without lugs on the wheels it probably wasn't real powerful, but interesting none the less.

post-5643-0-31239100-1381243277_thumb.jp

This is an old picture of a 6 hp Case portable steam engine belted up to what appears to be a tiny, hand fed thresher, and they must have just cleaned the ash pan, or were hauling coal to the engine in that coal bucket?

post-5643-0-71393000-1381243388_thumb.jp

This last picture is an encore photo, but it was the first 8-16 IHC Mogul I ever saw, or saw running, or rode on. I thought it was the neatest tractor since sliced bread. The Tyler's at Moore(Eddies Corner) owned it back in 1954, the first time I stayed there with son Mike. Max later traded it as part of the "money" on a Ten Ton Holt crawler. They also traded a 30 hp Huber return flue steam engine and got the 10-Ton and a huge, huge blacksmith anvil, to level out the trade on the Tyler side. Gary ;)

post-5643-0-56223100-1381243399_thumb.jp

That Ebert-Duryea has an interesting drive arrangement. Looks like friction?

Apparently with lugs it pulled 2 small bottoms? Looks like maybe they were clearing ground and just wanted a mule without the lugs? Stuff ya just gotta wonder about.

Sorry Anson . . . there are only two mechanical "mules" (tractors) in my shed: a 1919 International 10-20 Titan and a 1927 Fordson. There are a bunch of mechanical "horses" (cars/trucks) that take up the rest of the shed space.

This first picture is of a 15-30 Holt crawler and apparently taken in 1914, with its (likely) optional drive pulley belted up.

post-5643-0-13207600-1381287952_thumb.jp

This second picture is of a 25 Best crawler or "Track Layer", and a 45 Holt "Caterpillar" owned by Carl Kirsch (I believe he was from Oregon?)

post-5643-0-65052400-1381287986_thumb.jp

I forget where I saw this, but I think it was on SmokStak, of a 10-20 Titan recovered from 65 feet of water, after having been there for decades. The thing that amazed me was that the engine still turned over! Even some paint on wheels, etc. was present. This story was published somewhere long years ago. Gary ;)

post-5643-0-89246700-1381288049_thumb.jp

I'm "on staff" of Iron Age Magazine and Yahoo has changed my home page of email, so everything is screwed up this morning. My counterpart at IA wrote that my email didn't have the images he needed to check out, so I had to re-send everything another way. Why is it when something is working Yahoo has to "fix it??" Gripe, gripe... And it made me burn my oatmeal!

I don't have one thing this morning. I can't show you the super great DVD I got yesterday, taken at my birthday celebration on September 14th. It's about a half hour long and I watched it three times last night. When I showered and went to bed, Sharon was still watching it. The little 18 year old, learning this vocation, did a fantastic job. It was sincerely a day I could never forget. One that couldn't have been "done up" any finer, any how!

post-5643-0-69125100-1381328635_thumb.jp

post-5643-0-71171500-1381328654_thumb.jp

post-5643-0-22641000-1381328667_thumb.jp

Now, I've got to get ready for "work." Gary ;)

I didn't have much to show for today at Silver Creek, but I worked all day. Sometimes the things I do just don't show. Today was one of them, I guess. I am quite multi tasked, however. I start on one thing and need to run to the shed to find a piece for it, but get side tracked and start another project out there, then go back into the shop and see the job I left undone. It seems to get worse by the year... Month? Or.... week??

I did gather resources from the "resource rack" (iron pile) to build my grandkids a jig saw, similar to the one I and my brother had as kids. The one we had was gray, had a square table and had a small "blower" to keep sawdust away from the coping saw blade it used. Otherwise, this is the same Montgomery Ward jigsaw I had. I slipped and scuffed up some skin a few times as a kid, but I never cut a finger off, so that's why I'm going to put this all together for the grandkids this fall or winter. I think I have less than $20 in this project so far. I had fun cutting things out of wood, mainly 1/4" plywood, as a kid. I don't think I could find anything I built, but it was rewarding at the time and good experience.

post-5643-0-22498500-1381373567_thumb.jp

I also scored a 22" Monche (monkey) wrench recently. I've never seen another this large. These are so handy around a steam engine. So many things need 90-degree jaws to do the trick, or so it seems. Gary ;)

post-5643-0-37697100-1381373587_thumb.jp

Tomorrow afternoon a concrete truck is coming, so I'll likely not get as much accomplished as today, which I didn't get much done! :rolleyes:

I also scored a 22" Monche (monkey) wrench recently. I've never seen another this large. These are so handy around a steam engine. So many things need 90-degree jaws to do the trick, or so it seems. Gary ;)

Monkey wrench = Monche wrench. So thats how they got the name.

Gary, I know you like the old Red River Special threshing machines so here is a view of mine . In the foreground I am picking up oat swath with the 1660 while the Red River Special that used to harvest grain on this farm, now sits on the hill in the pasture.

post-90-0-55892900-1381381238_thumb.jpg

Monkey wrench = Monche wrench. So thats how they got the name.

Gary, I know you like the old Red River Special threshing machines so here is a view of mine . In the foreground I am picking up oat swath with the 1660 while the Red River Special that used to harvest grain on this farm, now sits on the hill in the pasture.

Yes, Ralph, the old Red River Special threshing machine has likely earned the right to set majestically on the hill and watch the CaseIH combine do its thing.

I don't remember how I learned about Mr. Monche and his wrench? It may have been, "The Rest of the Story?" with Paul Harvey? I've forgotten where I heard it, but I've at least remembered "the punch line!" Gary ;)

I stole these from my Facebook page last night. This Hart-Parr (18-36?) is coming up for auction in Australia. It has a "wood burner" on it. Since I'm not familiar with that term, I'm assuming it is a "gasifacation" system? It has to be.

post-5643-0-18536500-1381413747_thumb.jp

Then someone from Europe posted this 10-20 IHC Titan that had a wood burner on it and said it had been in France. Regardless, neither company had any of the wood burners on them when they left the assembly line, I'm sure? Gary ;)

post-5643-0-23135100-1381413757_thumb.jp

OBG, youre probably right with the tractors using the wood gasification process. Wasnt this fairly common in Europe in the pre and post WWI era?