IH Tractors on Montana Farm

Old Binder Guy

Ralph,

That's a great photo of your harvest yesterday. It appears you just added grain to the truck which was already dumping into the auger? I'm glad your crops are running well. I know from personal experience that it is much more exciting to harvest a good crop than a mediocre one.

Gary ;)

You are right Gary. I did the majority of the field, filled two bins without having to move the truck The bins are almost centrally located so I just combine my way across the field and when the hopper is half full, turn around and work my way back to the truck at the bin. Saves wear and tear on the old Loadstar.

For those who would like to see a view from "the driver's seat" I will post a link to some video from the past few days.

Here's a "teaser" picture that will have to do till things get a little caught up-----

The answer is--YES, I got to the engine room---Now I gotta figure out how to post videos.

Mike :D

That should be interesting Mike. Its an impressive looking boat.

I had to show off this vintage postcard I recently acquired showing our local railway trestle bridge across the creek before it was filled in the 1920s. It must have been quite a view looking down through all those timbers from the train. This one dates to pre 1912.

That is amazing. Think of the buck saw work it took to cut all that timber. Filled in? They filled in that valley!? Almost just as impressive.

Thanks for that Cockshutt photo Ray. Of course Ontario being the ancestral home of the company it is only fitting they should have a lot of survivors there. I see there is a good looking 35 Deluxe coming up for sale at a farm auction here. It would look good in my shed. http://www.switzerauction.ca/Wingert_Auction/Wingert_Auction.htm

Troydairy, yes it was a huge task filling that trestle across the valley and I don't know how long it took. They used it about 20 years before filling. Built a spur line off the main line going back maybe half a mile and just kept running car loads of soil out on the trestle and dumping. The excavation where they removed the fill is quite a sight too. I have a photo somewhere of the trestle during the fill process if I can find it.

I don't know a darn thing today. I'm heading to Silver Creek soon. I got this in an email from a neighbor here in Helena. Gary :o

That must have been a sudden stop for all concerned. With our increasing moose population here I guess it is just a matter of time before we have similar incidents.

I posted an ad for Massey Harris binders on the vintage ads thread so here is a vintage photo of a Massey Harris dealership in Pense, Sask. with one of those old binders in it.

post-90-0-29525800-1379618621_thumb.jpg

Ralph,

That is a great old picture of the Massey-Harris dealership in Pense. I counted 5 binders, I think?

I don't have much this morning. I am putting a picture of a 40-70 Imperial gas tractor on. There used to be one here in Montana, not that many decades ago. I know the son of the owner, at that time. It now lives in North Carolina. I don't know where this one was located? Gary ;)

post-5643-0-34302000-1379686979_thumb.jp

PS: the "edited-1" is new for Adobe and is what screwed up my resizing early in the week, plus kept me on the computer, chatting with Ganesh for a couple of hours. :angry:

PPS: That end building in Pense, with the dormer windows... It reminds me of the officer quarters used on many Army posts in Montana. This picture of Fort McGinnis, near where I grew up, has these officer's quarters on the right end.

post-5643-0-15782700-1379687403_thumb.jp

Our neighbor Angus McMillan to the north, on the homestead on Beaver Creek had this "house" he'd dismantled board by board and moved to his ranch. It stood for about 90 years there, was dismantled and placed in a barn, and a new brick home built by Angus II.

post-5643-0-45717400-1379687669_thumb.jp

This morning I had an e-mail asking me to plow "the field" again at Silver Creek. We will plant oats next spring and thresh them with steam next fall. John Deere will enter into the equation. Mike's grain drill is a Van Brunt. Everything else involved is IHC. I Took this picture after finishing plowing this afternoon. It shows the five disk IHC plow I pulled with the TD-40. Cousin Dan Tombrink gave Mike the plow and today is the first real day it plowed at Silver Creek. And the McCormick-Deering TD-40 would make an IH Tractor on a Montana farm! The following are videos I took of today's "farming operation." The fourth (4th) video shows me taking the "40" up the "Case incline" that is for steam engines to climb. Gary ;)

post-5643-0-59590700-1379732911_thumb.jp

http://s228.photobucket.com/user/20_Highwheeler/media/TD-40goingplowing.mp4.html

th_TD-40goingplowing.jpg

http://s228.photobucket.com/user/20_Highwheeler/media/TD-40diskplowmePrincess.mp4.html

th_TD-40diskplowmePrincess.jpg

http://s228.photobucket.com/user/20_Highwheeler/media/TD-40finishedplowing.mp4.html

th_TD-40finishedplowing.jpg

http://s228.photobucket.com/user/20_Highwheeler/media/Td-40upCaseIncline.mp4.html

th_Td-40upCaseIncline.jpg

http://s228.photobucket.com/user/20_Highwheeler/media/TD-40Shuttingoff9-20-13.mp4.html

th_TD-40Shuttingoff9-20-13.jpg

I'm putting on a picture taken with my camera by a friend last year at Choteau, Montana of friend Gary Ellestad and me. We went to the old iron show and set up to play in the old depot. We're doing it again today. You may have to endure some video of today, since the new camera takes them. (See what you started, Ralph!) The Montana Steam Engineer's Association holds its annual meeting there, the main reason I'm going, but I have a hard time passing up playing the squeezebox, since I know my times are numbered!

post-5643-0-22662300-1379774001_thumb.jp

Here's a 30-60 Hart Parr pulling disk plows near Hoxie, Kansas, ca 1910. Gary ;)

post-5643-0-57647900-1379774040_thumb.jp

Looks like the two of you might be playing "the Steam Whustle Blues"--------may need to get Tuba Case to join in to give an occasional deep whomp from his big tuba for the deep tone of a steamboat lost in the fog.

Just make the squeeze box sound like a harmonica and you will be on the right track!!!!!!. LOL

DD

Don't know whether I might have posted these before. These were two different machines in my area around 1918. They were huge wooden self propelled hillside combines built by Holt in the early days. With a side mounted header they must have been a brute to drive.

This one belonged to a family I knew, especially the young boy on the operator's platform along with his mother. Near Uniontown, WA.

post-6771-0-36848000-1379786516_thumb.jp

This one was near Moscow, Idaho and shows early though familiar misfortune in those days. You can see the simple steering rack and the single drive track on the right side of the machine. Ran into a fellow last week that said this was in his family.

post-6771-0-11471100-1379786486_thumb.jp

Gary sent me a picture of such a machine some time ago that gives a better overall view of it, but I can't locate it at the moment.

M Diesel,

I agree the old TD-40 looks better with some shine on the grousers!

Greg,

These are the only two pictures I can find of Holt self propelled combines. The first one was of Oscar Cooke's two he had of two different sizes, at Billings, Montana.

post-5643-0-11301700-1379906191_thumb.jp

The last one is of a postcard of mine and it isn't real sharp, but does show the shape of it when in use. Gary ;)

post-5643-0-40624000-1379906171_thumb.jp

Anson,

While I did see Tubacase47 yesterday at the Montana Steam Engineer's Association meeting, the tuba player my friend Gary brought on board was one he plays with in Great Falls occasionally. Dutch is from Geyser, Montana. I'd never played accordion with a tuba much, so it was a real treat for me.

post-5643-0-18894800-1379907642_thumb.jp

This is the three of us playing Beer Barrel Polka. I changed my rendition and key for them, which makes me a little uneasy, but it worked out pretty good, I guess.

http://s228.photobucket.com/user/20_Highwheeler/media/DutchGaryampGaryBeerBarrelPolka9-21-13.mp4.html

th_DutchGaryampGaryBeerBarrelPolka9-21-1

I took some pictures yesterday at Choteau during the show. These two were real standouts. The first I didn't know what else to name it other than "Double D John Deere" and it had nothing to do with braisers. This was a tractor from the Toavs estate in northeastern Montana a couple of years ago. The new owner restored them beautifully. I felt bad I missed getting video of it passing in the parade. Music got in the way.

post-5643-0-92667300-1379907181_thumb.jp

This next one was of an IH Farmall Super MD TA, also beautifully restored.

post-5643-0-87024700-1379907199_thumb.jp

To top everything off, I got the crud yesterday and really came down with it by tonight. Today was the day we chose to fire up the two steam engines and put them away in Mike's shed for the winter. By the time we finished washing out the boilers, I was really feeling cruddy. I likely won't be going to Silver Creek this week? They are both washed, being blown dry and should be in great shape for spring. We pull the fire outside, then run them in under steam pressure. After they cool and lose steam, we drain them and wash out the mud and crud. They still remain quite hot and when we put a fan at the rear hand hole, you could feel very warm air coming out the front hand hole, which that heat helps dry them rapidly.

I know I've put the video of Mike and I taking the 15hp Case up the "Case Incline" Mike built, he and Randy had to take their Reeves up it today before putting it to bed for the winter. This is a video of it climbing the incline. Gary ;)

http://s228.photobucket.com/user/20_Highwheeler/media/20hpReevesFirstclimbupincline9-22-2013.mp4.html

th_20hpReevesFirstclimbupincline9-22-201

Beer Barrel Polka wuz a lively way to start Monday morning off!!!!!!! (otherwise sorta slow and dragging down this way)

Fall just got here------and I see ya'll are putting the steamers to bed for the winter. Long ways from winter here------but was down to 55°F this morning-------clear blue sky-----sure feels good.

DD

A couple more steam videos this morning. I took the Case down to the cul de sac. The noise is "wind," mostly. The engine is quite quiet, except for rocks under grouters. I might add... It is entertaining for a 70 year old to steer, run the throttle and take video at the same time! :)

http://s228.photobucket.com/user/20_Highwheeler/media/15hpCaseforcruise9-22-13.mp4.html

th_15hpCaseforcruise9-22-13.jpg

This was Mike and Randy putting the Reeves in the shed, after I'd put the Case in.

http://s228.photobucket.com/user/20_Highwheeler/media/20hpReevesbeingparkedforwinter9-22-13.mp4.html

th_20hpReevesbeingparkedforwinter9-22-13

Another fitting tribute... The 1926 Model T Coupe has lived in Mike's shed, or the cold side. I got the "high sign" to put it into his shop this winter. This is very fitting for as of this month, I've owned this Model T for 60 years! Gary ;)

post-5643-0-13991300-1380042168_thumb.jp

post-5643-0-22191000-1380042180_thumb.jp

This engine, #17 York, is the newest steam locomotive in America. It was featured by Brenda Stant in Engineers & Engines Magazine this quarter. This brand new steam locomotive took three years to build. It will pull passenger, excursion cars in the Baltimore, and York, PA line. It is a very historic recreation and I wish I was on that end of the country for a couple of days. The line tied in with the Civil War in the 1860s and this will somewhat replicate the route. Gary ;)

http://steamintohistory.com/links

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gs4PKKTp4Q8#t=17

Gary, I watched those York videos and that is fascinating as heck to me! But I gotta say the first thing that came to my mind hearing that whistle was High Noon with Gary Cooper and Petticoat Junction at Hootersville.

I have lots of steam engine questions but I know so little about them I'm not sure how to phrase them so you'd know what I'm asking! lol

The hard part about the questions I have is the sound effects!! lol Hard to duplicate them on a keyboard...but here goes. In the movies, a train will be sitting at the station, not moving. But you hear a deep toned "whoof.....whoof....whoof" every few seconds. Sort of like the engine is idling. But a steam engine don't idle does it? I mean it's either running or not, correct?

Next question....one of the videos you posted shows a 110hp Case steam tractor. How would that relate to for example the York 17? Did they rate train engines by horsepower?