IH Tractors on Montana Farm

Old Binder Guy

Well, I'm not even out at Silver Creek yet (obviously!!??) and I'm putting on a couple of encore photos, to give you an idea what it looks like there right now. We're firing both the Case and Reeves today. Kind of a trial run, and Mike wants to take the Reeves across the creek, over his culverts. Gary ;)

post-5643-0-28782300-1376745164_thumb.jp

post-5643-0-61866400-1376745191_thumb.jp

Still celebrating birthday yesterday. We had both engines down the road at the cul de sac. I'm on the Case videoing Mike with the Reeves.

http://s228.photobucket.com/user/20_Highwheeler/media/CaseampReevesatculdesac.mp4.html

th_CaseampReevesatculdesac.jpg

And we even used an IH Tractor on a Montana Farm, pulling the water wagon for the engines. Gary ;)

post-5643-0-11826300-1376832492_thumb.jp

This first picture is one I took yesterday looking south, when Mike and Randy were getting ready to plow sod with their 20 hp Reeves steam engine, across Silver Creek.

post-5643-0-84572500-1376882076_thumb.jp

This is one looking northwest, while they were stopped. The creek bottom can be seen, below Mike's home and the shop & shed... up above. I just thought this would give you a little idea of the lay out there where I spend much time playing.... er.... working.

post-5643-0-03429500-1376881699_thumb.jp

This is a picture after we were finished and were back atop the hill, near the shed. This is an old IHC plow that was given me years ago at Belgrade. Not exactly an IH Tractor on a Montana Farm, but an IH piece of equipment helping out! Gary ;)

post-5643-0-24145800-1376881723_thumb.jp

This morning I was going to move the stuff Mike and Pam dropped in the shed last August after they moved out of their old home. It went where my Case steam engine would have been inside last winter. It set outside. Mike asked if I'd put the things that belong in his garage to be sorted there and what went to the shop, put there. Well, the Model T was parked in front of that stuff. So what does an old guy do so he can back in his pickup and before starting work? Right, you run away from home with your bags packed. Well, I went for a drive anyway. This luggage rack is the neatest one I've ever seen. Most open like an accordion. This one just lifts up and locks in place. If you want to put it down, just collapse the front angle piece where it is hinged and it all lays down the height of the running board.

post-5643-0-63776600-1376964366_thumb.jp

I got down the highway a ways and decided I was going to miss out on too much fun and work if I ran away from home, so I turned around and went back.

post-5643-0-12852400-1376964379_thumb.jp

I took this picture inside the restroom, of the oak toilet seat and the antique magazine rack I mounted on the cabinet next to the "potty." I renamed this room the shop's "lounge." Gary ;)

post-5643-0-63645400-1376964402_thumb.jp

Nice view over the hood of the Model T. One of these days a video maybe.

Here is a nice post card harvesting scene. Looks like McCormick 15-30 tractor but I am not sure of the combines.

post-90-0-56634400-1377011759_thumb.jpg

Nice view over the hood of the Model T. One of these days a video maybe.

Here is a nice post card harvesting scene. Looks like McCormick 15-30 tractor but I am not sure of the combines.

They appear to be the predecessors of a John Deere 36B, which would be Holt level land machines.

Since the combines are not green they are the Holt 36.If I have it straight 36 is flatland 36a had leveling on both sides 36b on leveled on the right side of machine.I have a 36b that I don't have any sentiment attachments to,that is rusting away.

Also a timely reminder the Barlogio Family is having a Trashing Bee here in Paso Robles CA on Saturday Aug 24.Drove by and saw there Holt 38 in the field and a test pass cut already.In years past there have been 2 Holt 38's one with bulk bin and one sacking as well as a trashing machine being feed bundles.Always open to all so if your in Ca. come on over.

Ray

Ralph,

I was thinking the same thing soon.... a video from inside the Model T!

M Diesel,

I learn things daily here as well. I just learned a bit about combines from Ray and Greg! That is one of my greatest enjoyment things, sitting around this table at the coffee shop at the IH Cafe!

Gary ;)

Since the combines are not green they are the Holt 36.If I have it straight 36 is flatland 36a had leveling on both sides 36b on leveled on the right side of machine.I have a 36b that I don't have any sentiment attachments to,that is rusting away.

Also a timely reminder the Barlogio Family is having a Trashing Bee here in Paso Robles CA on Saturday Aug 24.Drove by and saw there Holt 38 in the field and a test pass cut already.In years past there have been 2 Holt 38's one with bulk bin and one sacking as well as a trashing machine being feed bundles.Always open to all so if your in Ca. come on over.

Ray

I've never seen one of these in the flesh but this appears to be the 36A with the leveling on both sides of the machine. Also set up for sacking.

I can't help being a little amused by the mother hen tone of the text. Maybe you got a nasty note from John Deere's mother if you didn't get all the zerks greased that morning???

Greg

post-6771-0-65028500-1377059621_thumb.jp

I also posted this on Facebook, so I just copied and pasted here (encore writing?), so I didn't have to re-invent the wheel! Some mysteries shall remain mysteries. While downtown Helena, MT this (now yesterday) morning, I had a distant view and took this picture of Helena's "city symbol" the "Fire Tower." In the 1860s, 70's, and 80's, the "wooden town" often burned.

post-5643-0-29319700-1377093662_thumb.jp

This photo shows the wooden buildings in 1865 on Helena's Last Chance Gulch (now Main Street).

post-5643-0-39202100-1377093672_thumb.jp

Years ago, the Helena fire tower was manned around the clock and had a large, high quality bell up in the tower, and in case of fire, they rang that bell frantically. This historical landmark has been rebuilt and is fenced so nobody can get to it to get hurt. That bell is now at the Helena Fire Department. That BELL came from the steamboat "Tacony" which went aground on "U L Bend", at the confluence of the Musselshell and the Missouri River, downstream of Fort Benton quite a ways.

My dad was operating a "grounded by sandbar" steamboat in the early 1920's on UL Bend, for his friend Mike Machler. They'd moved the steamboat near the bank of the Missouri with teams of horses. The stern wheel was boarded up to lift water and drop it into a trough ahead of the top of the paddlewheel. Machler asked Dad to check out the boiler and fire it for him, to irrigate the alfalfa crops he had on the Missouri bottom land. My dad cherished that steamboat's whistle and one of the last things he uttered to me before he passed away was, "Don't ever get rid of the steamboat whistle." That steamboat didn't work out well enough so Machler bought a 20 hp Case steam engine to irrigate and thresh with. Dad removed that whistle and put it on the traction engine. When the waters of Fort Peck Reservoir started the Missouri waters rising, upstream, Dad walked down to the Case and removed that whistle. It was on Yaeger Brother's 32hp Reeves as far back as I can remember. Dad NEVER mentioned the name of the steamboat he tried to fire and irrigate with, so that information is LOST.

post-5643-0-25255100-1377093689_thumb.jp

I spent time with Joel P. Overholzer and Jack Lepley at Fort Benton, Montana, at the 150th Anniversary of the birth of Fort Benton years ago and bought a copy of Joel's book, FORT BENTON, The World's Innermost Port. It wasn't so long afterward Joel passed away and it was like a "Fort Benton historical library" burning to the ground, with the information that died with him. Both Overholzer and Lepley stated, "Only two steamboats ever sank or ran aground on UL Bend... The Steamboat Tacony, AND The Steamboat Red Cloud, pictured in photo #4.

The Steamboat Red Cloud was the fastest steamboat, ever, on the Missouri River. The whistle in this photo of the Red Cloud IS NOT the whistle in photo #3. It is flat topped and larger in diameter. Now, it could have been "re-whistled" somewhere in its lifetime? Or not?

post-5643-0-00368800-1377093699_thumb.jp

So I'm left to believe with reasonable certainty that the whistle on our steam engine in photo #3, could feasibly be that of the TACONY? If so; the bell and the whistle of TACONY ended up at Helena, Montana! Like my first sentence above, that mystery shall likely remain. Gary ;)

Harvest around here moves so fast these days I have trouble keeping up with photo ops. Finally spotted a neighbor cutting winter wheat along side the road one day last week. Lots of red stuff.

post-6771-0-27067800-1377103416_thumb.jp

post-6771-0-37161600-1377103173_thumb.jp

post-6771-0-06206400-1377103175_thumb.jp

post-6771-0-99379400-1377103176_thumb.jp

post-6771-0-02431200-1377103415_thumb.jp

Wow! Golden wheat as far as the eye can see. It takes a good photographer to make the camera capture the topography as you have done. Somehow my pictures never seem to see the lay of the land as my eyes see it. Thanks for the great photos.

Charlie

Well, Ralph.... I don't know if this'll work or not? My 1926 Model T sounds like a vicious hot rod, when it is a meek little puppy dog! I took it up near Silver City this afternoon and shot the following four videos. They aren't real lengthy. I will say that when driving a Model T with a Ruxtell rear axle, a throttle lever on the steering quadrant and plain herding the car, it gets interesting at times, but I proved to myself that being 70 and driving Model T's on instinct still works!! Just click on the blue lettering and it comes up! AND notice how I caught some IH Tractors on a Montana Farm too! The wind noise is terrible. I should have shut the windshield and rolled up the windows. But, I wasn't about to do that for anyone on a 90 degree day, inside a Model T! Gary ;)

http://s228.photobucket.com/user/20_Highwheeler/media/ModelTleavingtheshed.mp4.html

th_ModelTleavingtheshed.jpg

http://s228.photobucket.com/user/20_Highwheeler/media/ModelTheadingupSilverFoxhill.mp4.html

th_ModelTheadingupSilverFoxhill.jpg

http://s228.photobucket.com/user/20_Highwheeler/media/ModelTnearSilverCity.mp4.html

th_ModelTnearSilverCity.jpg

http://s228.photobucket.com/user/20_Highwheeler/media/ModelTnearSilverFoxturn.mp4.html

th_ModelTnearSilverFoxturn.jpg

I have to head to Great Falls today. The Hyundai Sharon got at Kalispell from the dealer, is "dealer-less" here in Helena (the capital city?), so I'll head off to the closest dealer to get a minor detail while it is still under warranty.

The kids on the Rantoul thread this morning were all excited about an IH 4300 going to be there with a 10 bottom mounted plow. The combination of Great Falls and 4300 with plow, again reminded me of this scene at the Mehmke farm we (Dad, a cousin and me) went to see circa 1963. Walt Mehmke had the demonstration take place north of Carl's on land I didn't know they had. It was amazing how that tractor would pick up that mounted plow like a Farmall A with a mounted plow and turn at the end of the furrow and head back. I remember the price was also $43000 and Dad said, $43000 is what the farm is worth... just keep the money! And this does make an IH Tractor on a Montana Farm too! The 4300 is following the 30 hp undermounted Avery in this picture as they both were plowing. I can just see the Mehmke's dreaming up this scheme too! Gary ;)

post-5643-0-70527800-1377179703_thumb.jp

Well, Ralph.... I don't know if this'll work or not? My 1926 Model T sounds like a vicious hot rod, when it is a meek little puppy dog! I took it up near Silver City this afternoon and shot the following four videos. They aren't real lengthy. I will say that when driving a Model T with a Ruxtell rear axle, a throttle lever on the steering quadrant and plain herding the car, it gets interesting at times, but I proved to myself that being 70 and driving Model T's on instinct still works!! Just click on the blue lettering and it comes up! AND notice how I caught some IH Tractors on a Montana Farm too! The wind noise is terrible. I should have shut the windshield and rolled up the windows. But, I wasn't about to do that for anyone on a 90 degree day, inside a Model T! Gary ;)

Gary, those T videos turned out quite well. Almost like being there. Wind noise can be a problem with those cameras but I agree, at 90 degrees I would have had the windows and hood scoop on the IH truck open too.

Just throwing in this piece of family history. Some of the original paper work from when my grandfather and brothers purchased a Huber threshing machine back in August of 1939. It was a rebuilt machine and the full price was $850. The thresher still sits on the farm. A big lawn ornament now. ;)

post-90-0-11528000-1377181268_thumb.jpg

I guess since I was gone yesterday, I don't have much to post today? I've had these two pictures of Mike's posters. I got these probably 40 years ago. They are both Remington advertisements for their Model 8 semi-auto rifles, manufactured in .25. .30, .32, and .35 Remington. The first three use the same reloading data as the Winchester 25-35, 30-30 and 32 Special. The first rifle I ever "owned" for myself was a .25 that Dad bought at McKenzie's auction sale near Square Butte when I was 11 years old. While the old timers cheered these posters, I'd guess they probably aren't too "politically correct" any longer, but this old farm boy with a "farmer's tan" still loves them!

post-5643-0-13415300-1377264097_thumb.jp

post-5643-0-47307000-1377264114_thumb.jp

I had to run Sharon's Hyundai to Great Falls on a flying trip yesterday as some lights had quit and the warranty runs out TODAY! I used to think as a boy, Montana contains lots of "badlands" but when I found out my late brother Bill's favorite part of Montana were these areas along the Missouri River in the Rocky Mountain Front, I reconsidered and now place them among my awesome favorites. Lewis and Clark are no longer in a boat below, but I'm sure they had an appreciation for this country as well!

post-5643-0-43265000-1377264134_thumb.jp

And Tubacase47 goes to the hospital every other day for dialysis. The head of that department works only part-time now, but I've known her since I was an 8th grader and her a 7th grader, when we met at 4-H camp at Maiden, Montana. Sharon and I love the salad bar at Jaker's restaurant in Great Falls, so I stopped there for lunch, before heading to the Hyundai dealer. A voice said, "Hi, stranger!" I told her, "It's a darn good thing I don't have a girlfriend, or I'd have been busted!"

Gary ;)

post-5643-0-47438400-1377264219_thumb.jp