IH Tractors on Montana Farm

Old Binder Guy

I got this off of my Facebook page and thought it would suffice for a picture tonight. It shows a Farmall H on steel wheels pulling a two disk plow, and I'm assuming during WWII. My old 1939 Farmall H has rubber tires. Quite a few of the F-12's and F-14's as well as F-20's and F-30's came with rubber tires in the late 1930s. When WWII broke out and after the US was drawn in, after Pearl Harbor on December 7th 1941, RUBBER TIRES became a huge issue. I've understood some tractors sat because of rubber tire shortages, due to rubber going to the war effort. Putting these new "styled" Farmalls on steel wheels did at least make them saleable and available to farmers again. Since many of the farmers hadn't been operating on rubber tires for very long, they could likely call it a "dream" then wake up and use steel wheels again?

post-5643-0-03810200-1374464855_thumb.jp

I maybe shouldn't knock younger farmers today, unfairly, but I remember letting my field work slide for a day, due to the air conditioner compressor hailing out on the 4568, so I don't know how well the younger set would be, going back to steel wheels like the Amish? Or like on this Mennonite IH Tractor, in this photo I borrowed from a Red Power participant. Thanks! Gary ;)

post-5643-0-20110400-1374465389_thumb.jp

Was out watching a friend's farm while his family was away for the weekend. Noted that he is all geared up to start harvest when he gets back. Hard for me to believe that there is a thirty year span in these machines. Guess I've been away too long.

post-6771-0-53840100-1374470873_thumb.jp

post-6771-0-25203300-1374470871_thumb.jp

Owen,

Thanks for re-posting that code page. That is the one I was thinking of. But seems like I saw something somewhere that also had the other codes like for cotton harvester tractors and other applications. But you know how this dang internet is....see something once but can't never find it again.....lol

I had a visitor at Silver Creek, again, today. Tubacase47 or Tom Railsback of Great Falls was in Helena on business and stopped out later to shoot the breeze for a half hour or so. Actually Tom had a very nice, new trailer behind his pickup, for hauling his tractors.

I took this picture of him with my phone as we sat at my table, both eating mixed nuts or almonds. I was VERY careful to get that J.I. Case eagle and globe emblem of Mikes hanging beside the stairway in the shop.

post-5643-0-61198400-1374549091_thumb.jp

Tom tells me he went through Choteau, Montana and they were working on the 20 hp Reeves engine their club owns, like Mike and Randy's. That's good news as it has "sat out" about the last four "steam shows" there with some minor mechanical problems. I'd love to see it running and missed it running the first year it was "pulled" from the show.

I was reading another thread before I came here to this thread. It was one about what tractor do you use on a rear mounted mowing machine, or something of that nature. I was thinking about posting these pictures, but decided to leave THEIR thread intact and not molest it. Besides, I was needing to post an IH Tractor on a Montana Farm here, anyway. Gary ;)

post-5643-0-24813600-1374549503_thumb.jp

post-5643-0-70683300-1374549435_thumb.jp

Thanks to Owen and Two-Steppin for the M serial number prefixs. Will swipe to my computer------and then hope I can find it next time the subject comes up.

I do see the Cotton Harvesters listed toward the bottom-------now gotta go back and search my cotton picker photos for a pic of my buddy's serial number plate on his M-12H one row picker. Seems like it had "CH" in its number????

Also noticed the prefix for "undersized crankshaft"---------wonder what thats about??? Maybe war production??? Anybody run into this before???

DD

Am I ever excited. The Union Pacific Railroad used to operate coal trains with the Big Boy steam locomotives, the largest successful engines built in the USA. They were used in the Pennsylvania area as well. They pulled coal trains over mountain passes. Now the UPRR has announced they'll restore Big Boy #4044 for historical purposes, and it should make a pretty good write off for the RR too! It will be operating out of Wyoming. I sure hope I get to see it under live steam before I check out. Gary ;)

post-5643-0-15105300-1374640861_thumb.jp

http://www.uprr.com/newsinfo/releases/heritage_and_steam/2013/0723_4014.shtml

Am I ever excited. The Union Pacific Railroad used to operate coal trains with the Big Boy steam locomotives, the largest successful engines built in the USA. They were used in the Pennsylvania area as well. They pulled coal trains over mountain passes. Now the UPRR has announced they'll restore Big Boy #4044 for historical purposes, and it should make a pretty good write off for the RR too! It will be operating out of Wyoming. I sure hope I get to see it under live steam before I check out. Gary ;)

attachicon.gifBig Boy 4014.jpg

http://www.uprr.com/newsinfo/releases/heritage_and_steam/2013/0723_4014.shtml

Another entry on my bucket list too!!! :P

Mike

mikem,

I hear you about "bucket list" things. It states on the website that it will be around 5 years before it is finished being restored. :( I'm NO kid...

I sprayed broadleaf weeds around Mike's shop and house at Silver Creek this morning before it got so hot. This afternoon, I "worked" in the shop. One of the last things I did was to put up two shelves to put my oil can collection on. Also in this picture is the "steam pencil sharpener" (check it out on YouTube!) and the 35 day (Korean) Regulator clock. Notice the calendar below it, so I'll remember to wind and change pages on the calendar once a month.

post-5643-0-14061600-1374724023_thumb.jp

This bucket holds the "extra" oil cans, left over with no shelf space.

post-5643-0-57689400-1374724032_thumb.jp

I had to take a picture of the Reeves and Case oil cans, as I couldn't leave any out. Gary ;)

post-5643-0-40243700-1374724057_thumb.jp

post-5643-0-75646600-1374724197_thumb.jp

I was hoping they would get a Big Boy back operating some day. It will probably get converted to fuel oil fired. Not many coaling towers left. The Challenger gets a good crowd when it is in the area. They usually set a day or two in the yard in Sioux City and give tours. I can just imagine how large a crowd a Big Boy would gather. Also I am not too sure we have a wye here to turn it on, so it might just never show here. Omaha, maybe. I'm stickin' around, Gary. To heck with that age thing.

Ron

mikem,

I hear you about "bucket list" things. It states on the website that it will be around 5 years before it is finished being restored. :( I'm NO kid...

I sprayed broadleaf weeds around Mike's shop and house at Silver Creek this morning before it got so hot. This afternoon, I "worked" in the shop. One of the last things I did was to put up two shelves to put my oil can collection on. Gary ;)

Thats quite a collection Gary. I have a few old timers here too but I'm not sure if even I have one of these Saskatchewan built Symons oilers.

http://www.wdm.ca/artifact_articles/oilcan.html

Ron,

I like your "you can't get rid of me that easy" attitude. I'll try to develop that for myself. That way, I may get to see a Big Boy in operation? Cheyanne, Wyoming isn't that far away for me.

Ralph,

Would you believe... I grew up with one of those Symons oilcans on the farm?? It was like #1, the 4th from the left, except ours had a straight up spout, no slanted one. I always wondered what all of that heavy wire was they used on it, but they must have had an idea? It probably ended up in the junkyard, but I NOW wish I had it!

I didn't have room for these three "tallow pots" when I posted oil cans last night. These hold steam cylinder oil for the steam engines. The "tallow" comes from when they used beef tallow to make their own cylinder oil, and placing these on the top of the boiler melted it making a usable cylinder oil. Steam cylinder oil still contains tallow, as it is something that will stick to the cast iron for lubrication. Of course, those wooden pulleys are Reeves Pulley Company pulleys, a sister company of the steam engine manufacturing company that made Mike & Randy's steam engine.

post-5643-0-59908500-1374760452_thumb.jp

I got two more gray enamelware coffee pots yesterday at a junk store on the way to Silver Creek. They are the taller and smaller two in the middle, and were in great condition and were only $4 each. There's one like the larger one I got yesterday at an antique store uptown Helena for $62. I've always been fascinated by these coffee pots, as when I was a kid, my parents would often stop at old friends houses and there'd be one of these old gray coffee pots on a cook stove with "cowboy coffee" in them. And the old Glengarry Church, where our school had their Christmas programs and Mom attended "Ladie's Aid" meetings, they had one like the big one at the left, on that old cook stove. I got that one at the same store over a year ago, but it cost $12. Oh well, I get "taken" once in a while, but not too often. Those two pieces of "red wheels" are a part of an IH Tractor on a Montana Farm!

post-5643-0-17241300-1374760508_thumb.jp

The last picture is one of the Montana Centennial "Great Cattle Drive" commemorative CocaCola bottles I gave Mike several years ago, which were from 1989. I don't think I'd drink the pop anymore? Maybe it'd be alright? I don't know what the shelf life is of Coke? Gary ;)

post-5643-0-90129600-1374760773_thumb.jp

mikem,

We got WAY too much stuff left to do, to even consider anything else................... ;)

Mike

As long as the UP steam topic came up, does anyone know the current status of Challenger # 3985?

post-5016-0-30958000-1374765158_thumb.jp

According to the UP Steam web site, she came out of a 2 year overhaul in 2010, and then ?

No new updates that I can find.

Just wondering.

Mike

Isnt there a big boy on display at the Henry Ford Museum? I remember seeing a train there its been about 18 years since Ive been there.

Isnt there a big boy on display at the Henry Ford Museum? I remember seeing a train there its been about 18 years since Ive been there.

Very very similar-----minor detail differences only.

Allegheny Locomotive

Built in 1941 and weighing in at 600 tons, this was one of the largest steam-powered locomotives ever built. Designed for pulling huge coal trains over the Allegheny mountains of West Virginia, this locomotive could reach speeds of up to 60 miles per hour. This powerful behemoth is the centerpiece of our trains collection and a visitor landmark in Henry Ford Museum. The cab of the Allegheny locomotive is now open for public viewing.

C & O Allegheny #1601

Lima Locomotive 2-6-6-6

Made: 1941

post-5016-0-91463600-1374772066_thumb.jp

Mike

mikem,

I wasn't aware of the history of the HFM Allegheny articulated engine. It is darn big!

Mike built this oak gun cabinet as a sophomore at Fergus High School in Lewistown. It was kind of in the "pre-gun safe" era. So when they lived in the shop last winter, Mike put removable shelves in and it became a "pantry." He left the shelves in and we moved it upstairs into the mezzanine, so Paw filled it with pretty much WW1 & WWII hats, helmets and headgear. There are a couple of USSR items, two German helmets and a Prussian leather helmet, US Navy hat, US Army WWII class A hats and two helmets, one WWI and one WWII. At bottom left is Mike's US Army (he purchased it) flight helmet he used when he was a "Huey" and OH-58 helicopters crew chief at Fort Ord, California in the 1980s.

post-5643-0-30285300-1374802985_thumb.jp

This is a gathering of letters, Christmas cards and envelopes I'd received from Maria von Trap years ago, when I lived Whitefish. I had them in a file folder and thought they should be framed.

post-5643-0-11029100-1374802999_thumb.jp

This is a letter I'd received from Paul Harvey several years ago as well, so also framed it.

post-5643-0-10288300-1374803014_thumb.jp

And I had one more oak shelf, so I put it up above the other two I put up yesterday, so I could put up more oil cans! Gary ;)

post-5643-0-88105700-1374803153_thumb.jp

I was just reading through a thread about how much of North Dakota used to pull a plow, packer and drill. Other limited areas did it as well. They were discussing the probability of an M or a D John Deere pulling the load. I had to check my files to see what came up for me.

This Case 25hp engine, tender, Emerson plow, packer and drill is larger than they were talking about.

post-5643-0-47041000-1374896082_thumb.jp

And of course, this 32hp Reeves double simple is a larger yet, pulling a water tank mounted on a Reeves steam lift plow, packer and drill. So, I guess I'm not much help? Gary ;)

post-5643-0-04151200-1374896134_thumb.jp

Of course this postcard I copied from my late friend Carl Mehmke's collection of photos & cards shows the same identical engine as the one I posted last night, from the rear, or this photo:

post-5643-0-21395300-1374937770_thumb.jp

This postcard shows it being in "western North Dakota."

This postcard shows that same Reeves double simple with the buffalo (bison) skull tied to the smokestack, doing the same routine in Oregon. Somewhere else in my files, I have this same postcard that was taken "in Montana." Gary ;)

post-5643-0-91544100-1374937667_thumb.jp

PS: Tubacase47, are you watching the odometer for us?

Hi: Not a tractor on Montana farm, but for those who do not have enough "stuff", it is only one week intil the J.Wythe auction sale (MB.Cat). See rosstaylorauctions.com for full details. CardaleBob.

Hi: Not a tractor on Montana farm, but for those who do not have enough "stuff", it is only one week intil the J.Wythe auction sale (MB.Cat). See rosstaylorauctions.com for full details. CardaleBob.

Funny, for some reason today I had suddenly wondered if the "MBcat" auction had happened yet. Thanks for bringing it back to the surface. That sale bill has an amazing collection of tractors and equipment. Predominantly IH. Here is one example from the auction page.

post-90-0-66089100-1374952406_thumb.jpg

Here's a salute to MB CAT from Mississippi----always enjoyed hid postings. What a wealth of knowledge-----and seemed like a good guy to go with it.

I kept up with him on the CAT and IH boards-----plus he was featured on RFD TV once.

Best of luck with the auction.

DD

Wow. I knew from his post he knew his McC/IHC stuff but holy cats! He go one of everything Pre 60s tractor wise that was red. Very neat sale I bet. When did he pass away?

TroyDairy,

I think he passed on about a year and a half ago? He was certainly a "McCormick-Deering 'Library'" with his vast knowledge.

CardaleBob,

Thanks for bringing this subject up again.

Toot had been in use on the farm, but had set for the past few days in the shade of the shed. Yesterday, I decided I was going to put her back inside again. There is still an awe about starting a Farmall M and taking off with it. They are still that "big Farmall feel" and that feeling goes back to my childhood. Oh, and I took the long way around the shed and shop, just to prolong the drive. And this is an IH Tractor on a Montana Farm!

post-5643-0-85452200-1375016920_thumb.jp

Some may think this is childish, and some may not. Since my neck always has a "farmer's tan" I like it. This garbage killed people on 9-11 and I know some great people who've gone and spent time in Osama's neighborhood, trying to straighten the world back out, although I realize it is a daunting task.

When I was at Whitefish Schools, the head custodian received some of these from the supplier, with another "plain" order of urinal screens. The dozen or so of these were put in urinals in the athletic locker rooms. Some "'organic' feel good" complained and they were "insensitive" had to be removed. I scrounged one and have saved it for yesterday. Mike drove two nails above his urinal, I got him from Whitefish Schools demolition, and hung it up. With his year in Afghanistan, I think he hung it with pride too. Gary ;)

post-5643-0-83349900-1375016936_thumb.jp

Toot had been in use on the farm, but had set for the past few days in the shade of the shed. Yesterday, I decided I was going to put her back inside again. There is still an awe about starting a Farmall M and taking off with it. They are still that "big Farmall feel" and that feeling goes back to my childhood. Oh, and I took the long way around the shed and shop, just to prolong the drive. And this is an IH Tractor on a Montana Farm!

Gary ;)

Gary, I too did a little drive down the road after running the Cockshutt 50 on the hammer mill a couple of weeks ago. Driving down that same driveway that my dad did over 50 years ago when he first brought that tractor to this farm. The 50 was yellow back then but likely sounded just the same.