IH Tractors on Montana Farm

Old Binder Guy

Ralph,

That's a sad, sad scenario of a tractor I always thought I wanted one of. Of course I don't need one anymore. When I was a kid, our Cub was the small "Farmall A", the C was the small H & M, and the W-4 was the small W-6, W-9 Standard. So why wouldn't a kid want all of these, so he could go help his dad ( a good reason for Dad to buy one??). The first tractor I ever drove was the Farmall Cub, so I got to fulfill part of that "wish." I always hate to see burned tractors. Roger and I had pictures of a couple of friend's tractors and steam engines which were burned. That really hurt. The picture I posted is of me on a friend's engine in Iowa that burned a couple of years ago. If any of you take Engineers & Engines Magazine, this engine was one was on the front cover, completely rebuilt after the fire. Brass and Babbitt really suffer during fires, as well as everything else. Gary ;)

post-5643-0-28853300-1372775389_thumb.jp

Thanks for the i.d. on that W4 Ray and Owen. They were common here but I think there were even more W6 and 9s around. It looks pretty straight and must have been a fairly decent tractor before the barn fire.

Gary, I hope you won't mind me throwing in a pic of an IH tractor on a Sask. farm. :) I took it yesterday while pumping out the truck's fuel tank. There is even an "IH" plate on the truck. :)

post-90-0-38996000-1372825534_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the i.d. on that W4 Ray and Owen. They were common here but I think there were even more W6 and 9s around. It looks pretty straight and must have been a fairly decent tractor before the barn fire.

Gary, I hope you won't mind me throwing in a pic of an IH tractor on a Sask. farm. :) I took it yesterday while pumping out the truck's fuel tank. There is even an "IH" plate on the truck. :)

Ralph,

At the homestead, growing up, WD-9's were the tractors most common. There were a few WD-6's, most early ones, as the farmers had moved up to the bigger WD-9's in later years. There were very few W-4s. And, thanks for that picture of an IH Tractor on a Saskatchewan Farm! And I hope you had a great Canada day, as I don't know if I wished you one (on Facebook) or not?? I'm just heading out to Silver Creek to finish up the studs and nut welding on the Reeves steam engine. Mike wants to fire it up tomorrow on the 4th of July. So I wanted to wish you US citizens a happy 4th of July or Independence Day as well! Gary ;)

Well, I've been working each day but Tuesdays, at Mike's place on the 20 hp Reeves steam engine's replaced king post, building bolts for bolting into the bottom of the boiler. I built bolts the dimension of 1/2" pipe which gives us a tapered thread on the stud. Most of the king post holes had to be bored out with a die grinder. Then I bored nuts and welded them to the studs screwed into the boiler, through the king post. It won't leak, and it's more heavy duty than the originals. I finished building, installing and welding at 12:20 today. Then got it all ready with Play Doh dams (yep, from Walmart toy department. Play Doh has become the industry standard for pouring Babbitt or lead, when damming and funneling is needed.) to hold the lead pretty much where we wanted it. Notice the front dam is in place.

post-5643-0-71297600-1372909838_thumb.jp

To reach into the dams, I needed a way to funnel hot lead into the opening of the dams. I threw this pipe junk together and welded some handles on, to hold and to control it.

post-5643-0-02635300-1372909438_thumb.jp

I had Mike's portable forge out and coal for it, ready to go when he got home from work, to help pour. I have no photos of pouring as we almost needed another person to help hold the funnel, so I sure couldn't take pictures of the actual pouring. Farmall Kid (Mike) is melting lead in ladles.

post-5643-0-49322800-1372909571_thumb.jp

This picture shows the back side of the king post with the lead "spelter" between the saddle and the boiler.

post-5643-0-67765900-1372909695_thumb.jp

Then I trimmed lead, cleaned things up and ground the "stalactites" on the bottoms of the nuts I welded and threw on some primer so it will seem better tomorrow when we're firing it up in the heat. Today it was in the upper 90's here again. I'm sure that fire will "feel good" tomorrow??

post-5643-0-15517500-1372909933_thumb.jp

Well, It's always a great day when firing a steam engine. Even a bad day of steaming beats a good day at work, I've said most of my life. Mike says it too.

You guys all have a great Independence Day tomorrow on the 4th of July! Gary ;)

However, tomorrow, on the 4th of July, this is more what it should appear like. With steam and smoke coming from appropriate places. It has every "ear mark" of a good engine. And any day I can hear steam passing through the steamboat whistle my dad pulled off of a wrecked steamboat on the Missouri River at U-L Bend circa 1920, is a great, great day for Dad's lineage, made up of nephew Randy, son Mike and myself! (It's the taller of the two whistles.) Gary ;)

post-5643-0-07552700-1372911056_thumb.jp

post-5643-0-73020400-1372911163_thumb.jp

Blow the whistle for the old red neck in Mississippi------and a happy 4th to everyone.

Have been out bush hogging roads &food plots for the boys. Stuck a stob into the old dry rotten rear tire on the 2090 just as I finished up. Had replaced one tire when we bought the tractor-----gotta find a good used tire now.

It was time for ribs and watermelon anyway!!!

DD

Blow the whistle for the old red neck in Mississippi------and a happy 4th to everyone.

Have been out bush hogging roads &food plots for the boys. Stuck a stob into the old dry rotten rear tire on the 2090 just as I finished up. Had replaced one tire when we bought the tractor-----gotta find a good used tire now.

It was time for ribs and watermelon anyway!!!

DD

Happy Fourth Anson. Its not quite dark yet. Wonder if I look south I could see the fireworks from up here in Canada?

I've got four good used 18,4x38s off my 2090 just taking up space here but I guess freight would be pretty costly all the way to Avon.

Doing double duty on the New Holland haybine and round baler lately.

post-90-0-53598600-1372994146_thumb.jpg

There are three more pictures I'd intended to post this morning, when I ended up taking Sharon to the Emergency Room, to find out she has shingles on the left side of her head and in her mouth. I got back from the pharmacy to give her the potent medicines the ER doctor prescribed. Is she ever miserable, and I can empathize as I had them around one side of my rib cage when I was 18.

This is Randy after he backed out of the crusher belt with the Reeves.

post-5643-0-13748000-1373053665_thumb.jp

This is Mike greasing gearing after crushing, and backed to the woodpile. Yes, it was just "wooded up."

post-5643-0-01259100-1373053874_thumb.jp

Mike and Randy took the Reeves down his lane to the cul de sac and turned around. I took this when they were headed back towards the shop/shed. Of course the Case is at the far end, waiting in envy. Gary ;)

post-5643-0-25393000-1373053403_thumb.jp

I haven't the foggiest idea if this is going to work or not?? If it does work, it is video of Mike & Randy turning the 20 hp Reeves around in the cul de sac at the end of Farmall Kid's (Mike's) lane. His cousin and engine partner Randy is at the throttle and Mike is steering. There should be Anson's whistling in here, if I did it right. Mike & Randy, you two will likely have to watch it at home on your computers, as the Army and Montana DNRC likely don't support Photobucket postings? Gary ;)

th_20hpReevesturningaroundinculdesac.jpg

http://s228.photobucket.com/user/20_Highwheeler/media/20hpReevesturningaroundinculdesac.mp4.html

It did not work Gary. I thought about coming over yesterday, but I was too tired after dialysis.

Tom,

I'm sorry you were too tired, and especially on the 4th of July. It was just kind of a trial run, as we still have a few bugs to work out.

Now, if you'd click on the blue lettering below the photo that comes up, that SHOULD bring it up?? Gary ;)

Worked for me, Gary. That whistle sure has a nice deep voice. The three still photos in your post prior to that one are great.

Charlie

Charlie,

The first whistle you heard was a three chime Buckeye 3" and it was the original type sent out on these engines. However, they could be upgraded when ordered, or changed later. This particular whistle came from Charlie Colwell's daughter when I was in high school, as a gift. Charlie Colwell taught my dad "the book learnin' stuff" to run a steam engine, in order to get his Montana Steam Traction License in 1911. Dad was 12 years old then, but started running a steam engine (for real) threshing when he was 11 years old on the homestead southwest of Lewistown, MT.

Now the deep throated (Pre-Lunkenheimer, but that company.) whistle is one my dad took off of a steamboat (Some believe [i'm one of them!] it was the steamboat Tacony, as the Tacony and the Red Cloud were the only two steamboats to "shipwreck" on U-L Bend, and the photos I have of the Red Cloud, it has a different type of whistle.) which had hit a gravel bar and wrecked many, many years earlier at U-L Bend on the Missouri River in northeast Montana in about 1920. He originally went to operate the boiler and engine, turning the stern wheel, boarded up to lift water and dump into an irrigation chute, flowing water atop the bank of the bottom land to irrigate. It didn't work out as well as planned, so they got a Case steam traction engine to turn a centrifugal pump irrigating and it also powered a threshing machine. Naturally, Dad put the steamboat whistle onto the Case engine. When Fort Peck Dam (constructed in the mid to late 1930's) made the water rise high enough to threaten the engine, Dad walked down to get the whistle from it (it went under water in Fort Peck Reservoir) and took it home and installed it on Dad's and his brother's 32hp Reeves cross compound Canadian Special plowing engine. That's where I first saw it. It is only fitting this steamboat whistle is back on one of our Reeves engines; as well as the Buckeye three chime. I'm glad you liked the whistles. Anson will hopefully hear them? Gary ;)

P.S.: Helena, Montana has a "fire tower" built of poles and wood. It is atop a hill and it used to be manned in fire season. If someone spotted a fire, they rang and rang the fire bell in that tower.... from the steamboat Tacony! I understand there have been several fires in the 1860's, 70's and 80's that burned large parts of the town and its wooden structures at that time. I believe the fire tower even burned once, itself? I'm not that "up" on Helena history, as I've not lived here a full 4-years yet. (11th of August will make 4 years.)

A picture of the Universal crusher with the IH pickup trailer box under the machine.

post-5643-0-22271100-1373106691_thumb.jp

One last picture of Randy & Mike at the shop/shed.

post-5643-0-11726200-1373106813_thumb.jp

This is topping off this series... The 1944 Farmall M "Toot" belted to the buzz saw. This IH Tractor on a Montana Farm makes firewood that will fit inside the firebox. Gary ;)

post-5643-0-56776400-1373106974_thumb.jp

Here are a couple more photos of the Reeves on the 4th of July.

I like this picture taken near the belt, when on the crusher.

. Gary ;)

Nice shots Gary. I could use that rock crusher here. Got plenty of raw material to feed it. :)

Be careful by that moving flat belt. Remember I got into trouble on another forum for my "dangerous" behaviour beside a flat belt in one of my youtube videos. :D

Ralph,

I suggested to Mike we could buy some rocks from somewhere to feed the crusher. I don't recall exactly, the incident in which you got in trouble with drive belts on another forum? This endless belt is much nicer than one with alligator clips joining the ends, as then can tear a man's hand wide open, in the right situation. Or tear his clothing off. I used to have to be the "belt nazi" at the Belgrade show at times. I "came unglued" when an idiot stepped over the drive belt that the 20hp undermounted Avery was powering a threshing machine with onetime. Avery belts when threshing almost drag on the ground. He didn't appreciate me one bit, but he knew he did something very wrong. (I had to repent later!) Their belts weren't always good ones and there may have been alligator clips on that one that would have torn the crotch (who knows what else?) right out of his pants. I don't remember who took this picture, but I believe this was the day and nearly that moment? Gary ;)

post-5643-0-98147900-1373205707_thumb.jp

Nurse Ratchet (My little wife has the worst case of Shingles I've been around. And I've had them myself.) has been a little busy for this nonsense, so I'm posting a couple of encore photos of IH Tractors on a Montana Farm. The first one was taken back in 2008, when Farmall Kid (son Mike) was deployed to Afghanistan for a year. I went to Helena from Kalispell and Tubacase47 or Tom Railsback drove down from Great Falls and he offered to mow tall grass around the shed with Mike's 300 Utility and "brush hog" type Ford mower. I still appreciate that gesture and loss of time and $$ for you Tom, as I worried about the tall grass and fire with that shed. The shop wasn't built until 3-1/2 years ago, after we'd moved here to Helena.

post-5643-0-30600100-1373336029_thumb.jp

This was one I took of Mike's Farmall M, Toot, and the water wagon last summer when watering juniper bushes across Silver Creek from his buildings. Gary ;)

post-5643-0-16132900-1373336013_thumb.jp

Well, ol' Nurse Ratchet is getting worked overtime. I had to take Sharon back to the ER this morning early and they had to re-do all of her meds, as the others made here nauseous and unable to keep anything down. So, I've not been real attentive here. This first picture is one I took of Mike and the 20hp Reeves belted to the gravel crusher on July 4th. I just happened to notice his 1944 Farmall M, Toot in the background also belted.... to the buzz saw. I thought here's a second post in a row of an IH Tractor on a Montana Farm!

post-5643-0-63086100-1373490070_thumb.jp

This is a picture of me in 1958 on the operator's deck of a cute little 9hp J.I. Case steam engine at the Remember When Museum at Miles City, Montana; then owned by the late John Anderson. I'd known John for about five years, as he attended all of the Montana old car gatherings and parades. Of course, he thought my 1926 Model T was still "a new car" making me ineligible to be included as "an old car" collector in Montana, but he accepted me as "an old car enthusiast". Well, I can't blame John completely, as the old steam boys who'd buttered their bread by running a steam engine in that original period, hadn't really accepted me as "a steam engineer" at that time either. Most of those old boys passed on to higher places. The people my age and younger, who knew nothing about steam engines, didn't know they could given a bad time by a forerunner. However, many of them got a bad time from the "new to the hobby" engine guys. Today, I try not to make interested young people not have to "scratch and claw" to be recognized and accepted as someone wanting to learn and know those two hobbies. I've tried to make sure they can climb aboard and be gracefully shown what things are and how some of it works. Gary ;)

post-5643-0-25640000-1373490104_thumb.jp

Gary,

Very sorry to hear of Mrs. Binder's (Sharon) illness. I have always heard that shingles are pretty bad news. They sure push the shots for prevention hard these days. The next time I see my Doc., I plan to pick his mind on the pros and cons of getting inoculated. Wishing Sharon a speedy recovery.

Charlie

Charlie,

I had them at age 18 around my right rib cage. You can't describe pain to anyone, about how bad that nerve virus hurts, but when they finally get them, they can sure relate. Sharons is the left side of her face and temple, inside her mouth, throat and eye socket. I've watched her agonize over the pain. The worst part is she's a "drug lightweight" when taking meds. The Percocet and associated drugs (even the chemo anti nausea) all made her nauseated and sick enough to be continually vomiting. Yesterday morning early I took her back to ER. They came up with a whole new series of meds that now seem very compatible, although not as powerful as the Percocet. They gave her Demerol at the ER, so I dragged her home and poured her into bed, where she slept most of the day and up to midnight. She seems to be "the train on the rails (no derailment)" this morning. Since I got 3.5 hours sleep the night before last, 7 hours was great last night!

Since I'm kind of out of the loop this past week, I'll post some Whitefish junk. The first two are one of two 1953 (? or 54?) Chevy Stretch Limo's that were owned by the late Roy Duff, who also held the first Hertz Rent-A-Car agency in the USA. His son still continues with Hertz, and runs a transportation company used by the BNSF RR there, Whitefish School Bus system, Glacier National Park tours, etc., etc. Anyway this stretched Chevy is there to pick up passengers from the Empire Builder at the Whitefish RR Depot. Big Mountain ski hill is over the train, in the distance.

post-5643-0-87815200-1373555230_thumb.jp

post-5643-0-93342800-1373554923_thumb.jp

Here's a little earlier version of the Empire Builder at the Whitefish GNRY Depot in 1939. Gary ;)

post-5643-0-64275600-1373555171_thumb.jp