IH Tractors on Montana Farm

Old Binder Guy

Ralph,

I hope you've gotten to rest some. I know it requires long, long days to get crops in. Youtube shouldn't care if you used my music.

Charlie,

That's real steam power you posted. That's a neat old rail yard photo.

Before I forget to mention Memorial Day weekend, I thought I'd post this old card.

post-5643-0-88023700-1369491397_thumb.jp

Then why not an IH Tractor on a Montana Farm? More from the other day when I filled the water wagon in anticipation of steaming. Gary ;)

post-5643-0-49692700-1369491426_thumb.jp

post-5643-0-82941200-1369491526_thumb.jp

The vid of the steam factory is very neat. I think if I was that gal I would have my long hair tightly packed in a hat! What a organized mess belts and pulleys whizzing by you un-guarded. That convertible truck would suit some of you folk quite well i dare say.......;-)

TroyDairy,

If you read the credits at the end, you saw that it is a "green" project in California. I'm imagining that makes it "exempt from OSHA?" That is some of the marvel of operating old machinery. When on my steam engine, I often drink coffee from a gray enamel coffee pot and in a gray enamel cup. There is no warning on the cup that the "COFFEE IS HOT", but it is likely steam from the engine that tries to scald my arm, rather than the coffee scalding my legs. There are those who'd like that convertible truck on this forum too! Jedd Klampett's Oldsmobile truck was also a convertible...

One more Memorial Day weekend photo I just have to post. My heart aches for this lady. She knows freedom isn't free... It's excruciatingly expensive.

post-5643-0-02063900-1369493993_thumb.jp

Mike took the afternoon off yesterday and we did some serious shop re-arranging, further making it a shop and not a residence. I took this picture of him after we got the 1957 Chevy and the 1953 Ford into the back end of the shop.

post-5643-0-27987300-1369494113_thumb.jp

Of course the Model TT was setting outside, so I had to take this picture at their home. Gary ;)

post-5643-0-10293200-1369494310_thumb.jp

The vid of the steam factory is very neat. I think if I was that gal I would have my long hair tightly packed in a hat! What a organized mess belts and pulleys whizzing by you un-guarded. That convertible truck would suit some of you folk quite well i dare say.......;-)

Good point, Troy dairy. In a shop where I worked many years ago, a school girl part timer had her very long red hair snagged by the chuck on a drill press. Not a pretty sight. After that management began to pay attention to hair bands and hairnets, but it still took constant dilligence to keep folks complying.

I had a playful cat one time that was helping me do some work on the barn floor. He decided to swat the 5/32" drill bit while I drilled a hole. OUCH!!! I stopped the drill immediately so he did not get ripped up, but he was wound tight and held fast by the hair in his paw. I rotated the whole drill backward a couple of turns. As soon as there was a little sack, Killer (the cat) ripped himself free. Left the drill flutes packed full of fresh paw hair. When I worked on my truck, that bugger would come under there and help me out. His best talent was to bat any nuts or washers which I had laid out on the cardboard off into the grass somewhere. In spite of all of that, he was a loveable cat.

Charlie

The saw mill video also reminded me of the old line shaft cotton gins that used to be everywhere down here in the Delta. Gins have lots of machinery turning when operating-----never saw belt/chain guards when I wuz a kid.

Did see alot of "one armed" gin men----accidents in the cotton gins were common place in the old days.

Professor----thanks for the reminder of what Memorial Day is all about. (I didn't need the reminder-----but it sure appears a vast majority of the general public (including white house personnel) could use the reminder.

DD

The saw mill video also reminded me of the old line shaft cotton gins that used to be everywhere down here in the Delta. Gins have lots of machinery turning when operating-----never saw belt/chain guards when I wuz a kid.

Did see alot of "one armed" gin men----accidents in the cotton gins were common place in the old days.

Professor----thanks for the reminder of what Memorial Day is all about. (I didn't need the reminder-----but it sure appears a vast majority of the general public (including white house personnel) could use the reminder.

DD

I know what you mean by ginners missing "vital body parts". Just about every old ginner I've ever known has at least one or two fingers missing. I have a ex-BIL and two nephews that were ginners and they all missing fingers. Even now days with all the guards and safety equipment in place working in a gin pretty risky if you're not paying attention.

Mike took the afternoon off yesterday and we did some serious shop re-arranging, further making it a shop and not a residence. I took this picture of him after we got the 1957 Chevy and the 1953 Ford into the back end of the shop.

. Gary ;)

Gary, if I had that 57 Chev out in my garage I think I'd be tempted to license it for the summer just to cruise around a little. Good for the car, and the driver too. Of course I can't talk. I didn't even get around to licensing my 63 last summer. Hoping to do better this year.

post-90-0-07743200-1369544010_thumb.jpg

. Gary ;)

Gary, if I had that 57 Chev out in my garage I think I'd be tempted to license it for the summer just to cruise around a little. Good for the car, and the driver too. Of course I can't talk. I didn't even get around to licensing my 63 last summer. Hoping to do better this year.

Ralph,

Both of those are just the way we took them out of Mike's shop in Helena last August, when I posted pictures of hauling them on the trailer out to Silver Creek. They just set beside the back of the shed until now. The reason they were both pulled and hauled is, they both need work on the brake hydraulics. Old age has outrun them. It's always sad to see brake fluid running down the inside of the tires, onto the floor, but it happened to both of them. I'll remedy that. Then they can be driven again. Gasoline in storage is a real problem too. I remember as a young kid, the gas in my Model T would stink in the spring, but it would still start and run. Not with today's "cheap" gas. Now to explain "cheap", I mean crappy. "Inexpensive?" NO! Gary ;)

PS: Delta Dirt,

You're welcome! I hear what you're saying about Memorial Day.

Ralph,

Both of those are just the way we took them out of Mike's shop in Helena last August, when I posted pictures of hauling them on the trailer out to Silver Creek. They just set beside the back of the shed until now. The reason they were both pulled and hauled is, they both need work on the brake hydraulics. Old age has outrun them. It's always sad to see brake fluid running down the inside of the tires, onto the floor, but it happened to both of them. I'll remedy that. Then they can be driven again. Gasoline in storage is a real problem too. I remember as a young kid, the gas in my Model T would stink in the spring, but it would still start and run. Not with today's "cheap" gas. Now to explain "cheap", I mean crappy. "Inexpensive?" NO! Gary ;)

Gary, I sure understand about the brake and gas problems. I've got a few of them myself. I've spent a small fortune on brake cylinder parts for IH trucks over the years and the gravel truck still does not have brakes. The gas is not too bad in storage as I seem to be able to start and run them all ok.

I tried another sample video with some of your music. Its not an IH truck or a Montana farm but B-say-tah road along the lake is always a scenic drive for me. Uploaded in HD format I was expecting better quality but in fact I am a little disappointed in it. Great music though.

A friend just sent me this link, thought you guys would enjoy it. Even something there for the steam fiends. I think the dog has the best job.

http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/_mKSKZau9qs?ytsession=8JWyTQQ2n5jUT79yKBiNekIHYhBJfEkDaeFMqI3yDHLEC45h12eIaaN30zb60S5lTnFjq9QgtfjUMup2lWIlkwq4V-w8S7yo8V4kWUjEIgS0egrS2s__hB4qCHWHxOAHAApjqMvYLdZDRXacKN3WVw

Looks like the dog needs to be more careful 'backing up'. :o

Mike

Ralph,

I have to say, it takes me back a notch or two, when watching your videos and hearing my squeezebox!

Well, I didn't have anything to put here tonight but I thought I may as well put this Choteau, Montana picture I took of an IH T-20 Tractor worn out on a Montana Farm, and parked beside a Massey-Harris 27 self-propelled combine. Gary ;)

post-5643-0-13874800-1369629100_thumb.jp

L-star's video was good enuff that I had to watch it twice.

All he needs to add to his videos--------is have his big white rooster riding shotgun with him on these trips (making the rooster a "trademark" for these "Roosty 6 Productions")!!!!!!!!!

DD

I have a question as I know several car guys frequent this thread.

Does anyone have a wife who may have suggested that you "junk up the bedroom"?

I do. I never got this good at it though.........................

post-61526-0-49579700-1369658503_thumb.j

Brings a whole new meaning to a "Four Poster".

Charlie

Charlie,

My wife would choke over "that" bedroom. She expects me to keep my "junk" in the shop. That is kind of a catchy bed though! A fella could have oxygen for human consumption and a mask there, ready in case you were having "the big one."

Well while I took time to respect and pray for our veterans this morning, I went to Silver Creek today, as Farmall Kid had the day off, due to it being Memorial Day. We did things around the shop and he'd asked me last Friday if I had time, would I get the TD-40 TracTracTor ready to start. It hadn't run for over a year and a half. They had visitor, co-workers come to see their new house, plus the guy got roped into helping lift a piece of Mike's oak handy work from high school wood shop, up stairs to the mezzanine. When they went to the house for their "ice cream social" I went to see what it would take to start the TD-40. I put in fuel, had to bleed the filter and injectors, but it started up on gas easily (even if hand cranked), so I hollered into their back door and I'd guess they were all downstairs, so I walked back outside and called him on his cell phone and asked, "The TD-40 is running. Do you want to pull the Reeves (steam engine) outside?" and he said, "Yes!" So, that's what we did.

Mike chose to run the TD-40, so I took the Reeves steering wheel.

post-5643-0-52346700-1369714925_thumb.jp

Case and Reeves engines aren't supposed to get along (like Ford & Chevy or IH & John Deere) but they seemed to like the company the old TD-40 brought each of them!

post-5643-0-16756800-1369714939_thumb.jp

Mike was having to remodel some of my "cold iron blacksmithing" handy work on the smokestack screen lifter. He managed to get the smokestack cover in place.

post-5643-0-38366800-1369715180_thumb.jp

By the way, these photos constitute an IH Tractor on a Montana Farm, too! Gary ;)

Gary, if your shed is getting empty maybe you need to bid on this old rusty car at a farm auction sale in Sask. I am no expert but am thinking it looks like a Model T. And the optional chrome/niickel plated? grille shell too.

post-90-0-18858500-1369765971_thumb.jpg

I took a little video of us moving the 20hp Reeves steam engine out of the shed at Silver Creek yesterday. Mike is on the TD-40 TracTracTor and I'm on the Reeves. PS: That TD-40 is an IH Tractor on a Montana Farm! Gary ;)

http://s228.photobucket.com/user/20_Highwheeler/media/20hpReevesmovingout5-27-13-1.mp4.html?sort=3&o=0

th_20hpReevesmovingout5-27-13-1.jpg

Gary, if your shed is getting empty maybe you need to bid on this old rusty car at a farm auction sale in Sask. I am no expert but am thinking it looks like a Model T. And the optional chrome/niickel plated? grille shell too.

Ralph,

I don't have permission to bring any more junk to Silver Creek! That is either a late 1926 or an early 1927 Model T Touring Car and likely a 1926 because of still having wooden spoke wheels. Those wheels with balloon tires were standard by this date of production. The nickel radiator shell and strip under the radiator are an extra cost option on this particular (open) model. The headlight doors or rings would have been nickel standard. Now, I think that would look marvelous in your shed! Gary ;)

Here are a couple of railroad items that might be of interest to some of you? For this first one, I took a photograph of a Great Northern Railway Veteran's Association certificates of mine. It is dated like it was going to be presented to a retired worker, but it was never filled out completely.

post-5643-0-39952100-1369784625_thumb.jp

This second one is kind of special to me. I know nothing about streamliner steam locomotive #151, nor where the photo was taken at the depot. But having grown up on the Montana (Jawbone) RR, later Milwaukee RR, it is near to me. Gary ;)

post-5643-0-03733000-1369784680_thumb.jp

Farmall Kid (Mike) has been piping airlines around the shop lately, but also took time to build this little telephone desk in the shop for his phone and stuff. The steam gauges above it don't detract from it. Of course, I use the old dial phones upstairs.

post-5643-0-72052500-1369879204_thumb.jp

I officially used the milling machine in the metal shop for the first project today. I had a handle from a junk store for a drill, but it fit nothing... well, likely a Makita handle? I secured it in the milling machine vise and bored it out to fit a 1/2" Milwaukee drill I'd bought at a junk shop. I'm boring the clamp here.

post-5643-0-63074300-1369879365_thumb.jp

This was the finished product and it fits like a glove. I swear I could break a wrist with a half inch drill, without a handle like this one, when it would catch on metal and rotate the drill.

I'd never used this boring aparatus before and wanted to try it out. Gary ;)

post-5643-0-71729400-1369879376_thumb.jp

Love that metal working, Gary. What is that little mill? I need to locate something just like that.

I am too disorganized for anything like that nice phone desk in my shop. Just ask my wife.

Ron

Love that metal working, Gary. What is that little mill? I need to locate something just like that.

I am too disorganized for anything like that nice phone desk in my shop. Just ask my wife.

Ron

Ron,

I'll have to check the name out on the mill. It was sold at the annual 'yard sale' at the high school at Whitefish, the school district I retired out of as Maintenance Chief. It was cheap AND tired. They got a new Bridgeport mill that we installed in the metal working shop in Whitefish high school. Gary ;)

I don't have one darn thing this morning, but will post one more picture of The TD-40 TracTracTor hitched to the 20hp Reeves steam engine on Memorial Day. An IH tractor on a Montana Farm.

post-5643-0-57077200-1370010381_thumb.jp

Also from what Roger tells me, I need to post this as well?

post-5643-0-47673000-1370010416_thumb.jp

We're doing okay for moisture here. It could clear up for a few days and come back again, but, although we have few puddles, it is damp. Spring Creek is starting to flood over in Lewistown, from what I read on Facebook this morning. They've had ample moisture there. Worst case scenario, our drought is three weeks off here. Best case, we may not have severe drought again this year? Gary ;)