IH Tractors on Montana Farm

Old Binder Guy

Hi Friends: Regarding lack of differentials on the railroad. As it was explained to me the face of the wheel is not flat. The inner edge next to the flange is slightly higher, giving a larger circumfrence than the outer edge of the wheel When going around a curve, the outer wheel crowds the rail to the outside, so that this wheel actuually travels a little bit farther each revelution than the wheel on the inside which is riding more on the smaller diameter, outside part . This is very difficult to try and explain, without using both hands. A retired railroad service or "Section Man" as they were called up here said this was true, and they sometimes changed the rails on curves that carried a lot of traffic, because the wear pattern had to be restored. Much like we rotate the tires on our vehicles. CardaleBob

Most of the grain elevator fires around here seem to be blamed on electrical problems or overheated bearings, etc. Many seem to be starting during the off hours when not much else is happening. This one was on a Sunday afternoon. These are the older wooden cribbed structures and once they get going there is little chance of stopping them. Seems to be nature's way of ending their lives, as a great many elevators around here become updated this way.

I don't think all types of grain dust are explosive...this was a garbonzo plant. But those are inclined to hold fire and smolder for long periods. I haven't worked much around canola but you guys say it can be treacherous if it accumulates in the wrong places.

Yes,, grain dust is explosive. I can remember seeing signs in the old elevators. "No Smoking". All the light bulbs were covered by a big glass globe so that in case a bulb blew it would contain any spark that might ignite the dust. Nowadays the elevators have a pretty effective dust collection system but I can remember the days when it was a fog of dust as you stood at the back of a truck unloading grain. I don't miss that.

This one burned down back in 92 I think. Heard it was kids playing with matches that started it.

A new textbook for class. Gary, I never know what may walk in the back door when relatives come a callin' from far off Pennsylvania. Am I pleased about this item???? You betcha.

post-61526-0-22583400-1368882330_thumb.j

post-61526-0-12757000-1368882356_thumb.j

Charlie

It doesn't take much to confuse this old mind this morning. I don't know what's happening?

CardaleBob,

That's likely very correct about the larger diameter at the outer flange, making the inner flange enough smaller to help the squeal going around corners that grease doesn't completely fix. I'm placing a picture of Buttermilk Curve on here. You will notice the center of the quarter section is where our house was that I grew up in. My brother and I lived in the southwest quarter of the northeast quarter. Mom and Dad's bedroom was in the northwest quarter of the southeast quarter. There were several train wrecks on Buttermilk Curve over the years. There were flange greasers on both directions entering the curve. Buttermilk Curve removed the necessity for a huge, huge trestle. I guess you'd say from the position of our house, we were aware of "non-straight" railroad tracks. If I drove the county road and the highway (most common) method of "going to the field," I crossed the RR tracks five times. I came awfully close to getting "nailed" by a steam locomotive coming out of a cut, at a crossing on that county road, coming from Moore(Eddies Corner), Montana one night after high school activities. Another time the train was crossing the creek, heading to our county road access lane crossing, when a main bearing turned and locked the engine up tight on Dad's 1953 Jeep Pickup. I was almost on the crossing, but there was enough rise that pushing in the clutch, let it roll back off of the crossing. Dad watched the scenario happen from the dining room window (southeast quarter of the northeast quarter!) and he about lost his breakfast. I was on my way to Glengarry School.

post-5643-0-65843700-1368890386_thumb.jp

Greg,

I didn't mean to imply that every elevator fire was caused by grain dust. Just a good portion of them were. There had to be other causes of fires in grain elevators. I wonder how many old trucks carburetors flooded when on the lift (before hydraulic grain hoists), then caught the trucks on fire from flooding, then burned the elevator down?

This is a photo of the Western Elevator fire a mile and a quarter away on the Montana (later Milwaukee) Railroad in the "city" of Glengarry, where I attended the one room school for eight years.

post-5643-0-46662200-1368890759_thumb.jp

This is the Montana Elevator which sold to a gentleman farmer years ago and is no longer in use. This is me and my (late) big brother Bill at the Glengarry one room school.

post-5643-0-87658300-1368891276_thumb.jp

Charlie,

That's an excellent reference book for anyone interested in steam traction engines. I've visited with Jack Norbeck on the phone a few times and have mail correspondence with him, in connection with my Encyclopedia of American Steam Traction Engines. It makes an excellent steam traction reference book in spite of some errors. It was a most thorough work at the time it was published. My copy is on a shelf of some of my favorite steam books in our bedroom. (That way I know no burglar is getting them while I sleep!). Gary ;)

Not one of my photos but a friend took this one today while harrowing.some farm land on the Standing Buffalo Indian Reserve.

post-90-0-59737500-1368941221_thumb.jpg

Ralph,

Let me see if I understand this correctly. This great picture of a grazing Buffalo was taken by today by your friend while he worked some cropland on the Standing Buffalo Indian Reserve in the Qu'Appelle Valley and the Standing Buffalo Indian Reserve was named after Chief Standing Buffalo.

post-61526-0-39865800-1368975065_thumb.j

Charlie

PS. Just pulling your leg, Ralph, but it is interesting history. Many of us would not know it existed if it were not for your posts.

Not one of my photos but a friend took this one today while harrowing.some farm land on the Standing Buffalo Indian Reserve.

Charlie you have it right. And thanks for adding a few details about the reserve. It is an interesting history of a small reserve. From what I read Chief Standing Buffalo and his people came from Minnesota originally.

Since this near 70 year old doesn't know much about technology, I'm trying to paste a video of mine I put on my Photobucket site and am trying to put it here for your enjoyment or lack thereof. I've been able to put my videos on Facebook with no problems, but never my videos here. I'm going to hit "post" and see what the heck happens? Ralph has already commented over on Facebook. This is a medley of three songs on my ancient squeezebox. God Bless America, Dixie and Battle Hymn of the Republic. The last two thirds of this "idea" I got from the King Elvis. Here goes??? Gary ;)

Ralph knows how to edit his videos. I'm too darn dumb. I've tried and tried but the software I'm using won't save the editing I did. If you click on the image, it will bring up the songs from the Photobucket site.

th_GodBlessAmericaDixieBattleHymn.jpg

Gary, Now THAT is listenable. Too bad you couldn't put that with the video that Art put up on the Montana farming. I had to mute that. Danged good job!!!!

Ron

I wasn't able to pick up "Elvis on the squeeze box" until tonight----------when I got on my laptop.

My cell phone will play some videos and not play others Gary------------and I think that has to do with my lack of talent on setting the little smart phone up. (it seems to be much smarter than I am)

Gotta tip my hat to you sir-------------you got lots more talent than I do-----------to be able to coordinate all of that "machinery" into fine music. And------------I want to compliment you on your selection. Elvis would be proud also!!!!

Somber note-----------watching the weather down in Oklahoma and Kansas tonight-------some real devastation down that way.

Delta Dirt

Avon, Ms 38723

Since this near 70 year old doesn't know much about technology, I'm trying to paste a video of mine I put on my Photobucket site and am trying to put it here for your enjoyment or lack thereof. I've been able to put my videos on Facebook with no problems, but never my videos here. I'm going to hit "post" and see what the heck happens? Ralph has already commented over on Facebook. This is a medley of three songs on my ancient squeezebox. God Bless America, Dixie and Battle Hymn of the Republic. The last two thirds of this "idea" I got from the King Elvis. Here goes??? Gary ;)

Sounds good Gary. Looks like you have got the technology mastered. I'll have to look into using your music as a sound track for my videos one of these days. Youtube always warns me when I try to use copyrighted music. I added a little Bob Wills music to this demolition video when I put it on youtube a few years ago.

Charlie, Ron and Anson,

Thanks for your kudos. I plan to put some more into Photobucket, but that's the only one right now. I have several in my computer ready to upload there.

Yes, Anson, that news out of Oklahoma is sickening. What a deadly tornado. I can't even fathom that kind of destruction.

Well, I went to Silver Creek today. After it quit sprinkling, I got the 300 Utility out of the shed and pulled the water wagon up top from winter parking. Mike collects water in those huge plastic garbage containers. One on each side of his shop and shed, and each side of the roof drains into a separate container. I dropped a submersible pump into one side and drained that one. I moved the water wagon and filled the tank out of it, using about half of the water. The first picture shows the tractor outside, from inside the shed. And this would be an IH Tractor on a Montana Farm!

post-5643-0-39384400-1369110148_thumb.jp

Then something made me get the Model T out and go for a drive.

post-5643-0-41018100-1369110318_thumb.jp

That's a sexy posterior side on that Model T Coupe. Then after my drive, I took this picture of Mike and Pam's house as the "rocker" finished up the rocking the house this morning. Gary ;)

post-5643-0-37802500-1369110370_thumb.jp

Ralph,

You must have just posted before I did last night? I didn't notice your post there until this morning. You are welcome to any of my music in your videos. Didn't I send you one of my CD's a few years ago? If I did (I thought I did?) you can grab them from there.

I'm still sick about that Oklahoma tornado yesterday. How that area must be just devastated, physically and emotionally. My prayers go out to those families hurting or who've lost loved ones.

I'm putting on another picture I took of my filling the water tank wagon yesterday. Another of an IH Tractor on a Montana Farm too!

post-5643-0-34408900-1369148547_thumb.jp

I added one more video of me on the squeeze box, since some of you enjoyed it. This one has been a favorite of mine since my boyhood when a blind man by the name of Jake Roberts of Lewistown, MT showed me how to play the basics of it. I've improvised some. This was the first song ever recorded that had the melody of the chorus played on the bass buttons. That was done by professional accordionist Charles Magnante, who was an accordionist hero of mine back to about when I was in the 6th grade. This was Charles' song, Sharpshooter's March. Gary ;)

Again, I must apologize for not being smart enough to edit my videos.

th_SharpshootersMarch.jpg

Here's something a little less boring for videos with the younger set. This one is of my Grandma Yaeger's 1923 Atwater Kent Model 10 "Breadboard" radio. And, you have to click your mouse on the "picture" to bring up the video of them working.

th_RadioGrandmas1923AtwaterKent.jpg

This is the Edison Cylinder Record player given to me as a youngster. The old gentleman at Glengarry who had this gave it to me because, "I know you'll take care of it!" Gary ;)

th_Edisoncylinderrecordplayerplaying.jpg

Gary, I threw this together late last night. One of your tunes off the CD and a little of my seeding video. Nothing too fancy, just experimenting. I like it.

Ralph,

You must have just posted before I did last night? I didn't notice your post there until this morning. You are welcome to any of my music in your videos. Didn't I send you one of my CD's a few years ago? If I did (I thought I did?) you can grab them from there.

I'm still sick about that Oklahoma tornado yesterday. How that area must be just devastated, physically and emotionally. My prayers go out to those families hurting or who've lost loved ones.

I'm putting on another picture I took of my filling the water tank wagon yesterday. Another of an IH Tractor on a Montana Farm too!

attachicon.gif300 Utility, water wagon 5-20-13 red.jpg

I added one more video of me on the squeeze box, since some of you enjoyed it. This one has been a favorite of mine since my boyhood when a blind man by the name of Jake Roberts of Lewistown, MT showed me how to play the basics of it. I've improvised some. This was the first song ever recorded that had the melody of the chorus played on the bass buttons. That was done by professional accordionist Charles Magnante, who was an accordionist hero of mine back to about when I was in the 6th grade. This was Charles' song, Sharpshooter's March. Gary ;)

Again, I must apologize for not being smart enough to edit my videos.

th_SharpshootersMarch.jpg

Gary, After I stomped on the rudder and stopped the spin so you could play, I really enjoyed it once again. And I am not really a fan of accordion music. It does seem to make a difference when you sort of know who is playing, I guess.

Ron

Ron

Ron,

I'm glad you mashed the rudder through the floorboard and could pull it out. I sucked the stick into my belly and just continued to spin and auger in, until I bought the farm.

Ralph,

I haven't listened to that old CD for ages. You did a commendable job of putting your video and the Missouri/Kentucky waltz's together. I was more interested in your farming methods. I guess I should be sending you my videos and hiring you to make something of them? Just what a busy farmer would like to be doing with his off hours. I'm just kidding, but by next winter, I must learn to do that stuff, if it kills me. If only my older grandson lived a few hundred miles closer?

Well, I'm heading to Silver Creek today and it isn't supposed to start raining until later in the day. We're supposed to get up to a foot of snow in areas the Rockies tonight. I won't know until afterward what that translates to us here.

I put on a picture I rifled off of Facebook of a shed or "barn" as they called it, near Troy, Missouri. That'd be visible from the air, wouldn't it Ron! I'll bet there are IH Tractors on a Missouri Farm inside that building? Gary ;)

post-5643-0-76543500-1369228173_thumb.jp

A friend just sent me this link, thought you guys would enjoy it. Even something there for the steam fiends. I think the dog has the best job.

http://youtube.googleapis.com/v/_mKSKZau9qs?ytsession=8JWyTQQ2n5jUT79yKBiNekIHYhBJfEkDaeFMqI3yDHLEC45h12eIaaN30zb60S5lTnFjq9QgtfjUMup2lWIlkwq4V-w8S7yo8V4kWUjEIgS0egrS2s__hB4qCHWHxOAHAApjqMvYLdZDRXacKN3WVw

Quote:

If only my older grandson lived a few hundred miles closer?

Gary,

In the cyber world distance seems meaningless. You simply have to get his attention. :) :) :) :)

Charlie

Quote:

If only my older grandson lived a few hundred miles closer?

Gary,

In the cyber world distance seems meaningless. You simply have to get his attention. :) :) :) :)

Charlie

Charlie,

I need to have him here to show me how to do it. I've done a bunch of editing on my videos, but I can't seem to get the system to save any of it. If he'd show me, then I'd know how to do it. Even those computer books for dummies are over my ability to comprehend.

Greg,

That was a great video to watch of the box factory. It was circulating on SmokStak and likely on facebook too, but I never took time to watch it. Firing that big upright boiler wouldn't be too bad a job, since I cant be the dog. Gary ;)

Well, I officially made the machine shop a machine shop today. Mike got a used transit and it didn't have a tripod. We're using one for a camera, but I had to build a base for it to mate up. I made the lower portion of the mount, which screws onto the camera tripod. Tomorrow, I'll make a internally threaded swivel socket that will match up to the base of the transit in the lathe. It felt good to be making a mess in there, for a reason. Then I'll clean up my mess. This will all work until we get the correct tripod. Gary ;)

post-5643-0-71098400-1369282022_thumb.jp

This is on the tripod.

post-5643-0-87576400-1369282037_thumb.jp

I noticed all of the steam used in the blowing of the whiste-------made me wonder if I will ever accumulate up enuff air for my "big steamboat" sound on my air whustle???

Gotta get back to tinkering on it-----Roger sez it won't take much when I get everything "jes right".

Neat video----those boys had everything rockin and rollin!!!!

DD

Ralph,

I haven't listened to that old CD for ages. You did a commendable job of putting your video and the Missouri/Kentucky waltz's together. I was more interested in your farming methods. ? Gary ;)

Thanks Gary. Your music makes a good background to the video and I haven't had any alerts from youtube about copyright infringement yet. :D

Got more video to edit when time permits. Right now I have a few other priorities, one of which is sleep. :blink: