IH Tractors on Montana Farm

Delta Dirt,

I used to play the guitar, the bass guitar and the pedal steel guitar (pre-arthritis). The reason I quit playing them, mostly, was to stop the continual magnetism to the girls, especially when around the steam engine.

NOW... I STUCK WITH THE ACCORDION TO KEEP THEM AT BAY!

Gary :blush:

• Replies 22.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old Binder Guy

• Loadstar

• Delta Dirt

• Roger Byrne

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When I arrived at Silver Creek this morning, Son Mike was finishing mowing meadow grass down by the barley field. It will be hay for Heather's goats. He was just finishing up and brought the Farmall F

Nice tribute post for Memorial Day Gary. **** I stumbled upon these pictures today of my 1943 model TD-14 with my homemade 3 pt hitch pulling a 6 row hipper in 1973.  The old crawler was a l

Anson... I'm sure this will shock you but thought I would let you know, that yesterday I volunteered for the vaccine trials for Covid-19, held here in Montana. The vaccine is one that was created in R

Posted Images

Ralph, I had a 67 Meteor 2dr hardtop in the early 70s.

Still have it in the retired row, here,s a picture.

Ray

Ray, that 67 sure looks familiar and I can remember those cars new. Yours needs a little work before you can drive it I'd say. Maybe not quite as much as this 52 Merc in my "retired machinery row".

2916099670032927439S425x425Q85.jpg

Now that we're both retired, we need to make an effort to get together sometime and try to make a little music. I just bought another tuba that I'm sure I'll be trying out tomorrow as FEDEX is supposed to deliver it then.

I'm also going to forward a photo one of my Kansas friends sent me today of a return flue engine for you to identify so watch your Email.

Tom,

I can't remember... Is it 14 or 15 tubas you have now? Yep, I can hear our rendition of Beer Barrel Polka right now!

Gary ;)

Today, I did something I don't do very often. Actually, I've only done it once before. I hope you guys don't mind if I derail this thread for a minute or two, then back to the real subjects at hand. I cut a C-D with my Cordovox in (I think?) the year 2000. Well I did another

This is a picture Chris took of me playing, using my camera.

Good for you Gary. I am sure envious of guys like you and Tubacase that can actually make music with those instruments.

Delta, heres a photo of a "500" Case that showed up for sale here locally. Actually it is not like any 500 Case I have ever seen as the 500s I knew were a big diesel tractor, top of the line in 54 and all red. This one appears to be the newer version, more like the little 530 utility tractor.

post-90-1238384090_thumb.jpg

Loadstar----------

I remember the 500's as the big "wheatland" style diesels---------I ran one off and on during a couple of summers work (during college) with a contractor from the Rio Grande (Rueben and Jack Parker) doing some landforming work here in the Delta. They had an older 500 and a couple of the newer version 900 or 930's pulling Reynolds dirt wagons. Tough old tractors.

Jack and I were the same age---------hit it off great. Haven't heard from him in years-----need to try to run him down. Thanks for re-joggin my brain.

Seeing that smaller version 500 caught me by surprise------------I presume the larger 500 had replaced the LA model??

Delta Dirt

Avon, Ms 38723

Thanks Ralph & MB.Cat for posting photos of the two "work clothes" Titans. To me they look better that way when the old girls wear their history. :) They look to be the same series of Titan with the bottom exhaust and the wide fenders.

I admire you guys that are musically inclined. The only musical instrument I can play is the piano. Why just the other day I sat down and played a great version of the 12th Street Rag. I put the QRS ROLL in the mount, turned on the pump and had some great music. Yup. . . I'm a real good PLAYER PIANO player! :lol:

Now that we're both retired, we need to make an effort to get together sometime and try to make a little music. I just bought another tuba that I'm sure I'll be trying out tomorrow as FEDEX is supposed to deliver it then.

I'm also going to forward a photo one of my Kansas friends sent me today of a return flue engine for you to identify so watch your Email.

Tom,

I can't remember... Is it 14 or 15 tubas you have now? Yep, I can hear our rendition of Beer Barrel Polka right now!

Only 8 as of today's FEDEX delivery.

Gary ;)

I admire you guys that are musically inclined. The only musical instrument I can play is the piano. Why just the other day I sat down and played a great version of the 12th Street Rag. I put the QRS ROLL in the mount, turned on the pump and had some great music. Yup. . . I'm a real good PLAYER PIANO player! :lol:

Roger (Liber-Rogey),

Is QRS still in business making piano rolls? I know they were a few years back. I saw a TV segement on how they made them onetime and it was really fascinating.

I had an old foot pumper player piano in the basement of my house at the Ranch 27+ years ago. I had a QRS version of "Margie", that old "bright eyes" Eddie Cantor song about one of his daughters. It was so fascinating to watch that piano playing that song, it ran chills up my back and neck. The last time through there had to be 12-14 notes playing at a time... a feat a single piano player couldn't perform, due to a lack of fingers. Just a little trivia for those who don't know or remember, the song "Josephine" was one of Cantor's daughters also and the song "Ida" (with lips as sweet as apple cidah) was a tribute to his wife. That's a video I should rent... The Eddie Cantor Story. I saw the movie when it came out in the (?) late 1950s.

Tom,

Can you play all of those tubas at once?

Gary ;)

Gary, it has been about 10 years since I've ordered any piano rolls so I checked out the WEB and found that they are still in business. They have been in business since 1900 and now days piano rolls are just part of their music operation. They have over 5000 piano roll masters played by artists from 1900 to 2007. I checked and they have about 1800 different rolls currently in stock and the prices ranged from $11 to $30 each. I think the last ones I got were in the $7 to $10 range.

Maybe we could mount one of those player units on that accordion of yours :blink: and you wouldn't have too work so hard. :lol:

Gary:

No, I can't even carry them all at one time let alone play them. If I keep buying, I will need a bigger house to store them.

Ralph:

That little 500 is a 500B, small brother of the 900B which replaced the 600 which replaced the 500. I could use one set up like it today and probably make a little money as we had 6 inches of snow yesterday.

Tom,

You are my only friend hoarding tubas. I have several hoarding grains, legumes, canned goods, ammunition and reloading components, but no tubas.

You said you'd had 6" of "global warming" yesterday at Great Falls. I just talked to my brother on the phone. They had 6" at Helena also and McDonald pass (Rocky Mountains) was closed for a while. Their daughter had 9" at her house up the "Gulch" a ways. We've been getting global warming here this morning. Some flakes were the size of "Loonies". (Delta Dirt, in case you don't get Loonies in Mississippi, they are Canadian coins somewhere around the size of our .50 cent pieces or a little larger.)

Ralph,

I'm glad Tom identified that 500B Case for you. I could identify it as a "Case". Beyond that, I'm lost. Tom is as good as they get for identifying most any piece on a Case tractor. Also with my "encore presentation" photos I sometimes post, we now have a new term: "Retired Machinery Row", thanks to you and Ray. You two could move to Washington D.C. and likely get jobs as politicians? It reminds me of the email forward I got the other day of a realtor calling a dripping, leaky roof and ceiling as an "oversize show room". Delta Dirt could tell us how words of description matter!

Gary :wacko:

Another one that is getting scrace up here is the WD40, these where the first wheeled diesel tractor built in North America , came out in 1935 to 1939. only about 3370 built. I had 6 of them here at one time down to three now. I think there is 4 more in MB. They where a really good powerfull tractor in their day, IHC brought out the WD9 to replce it, but it never came close to what the WD40 could do.

John

John did you get my P.M. about the wd-40? Haven't heard back just wondering Todd

Another one that is getting scrace up here is the WD40, these where the first wheeled diesel tractor built in North America , came out in 1935 to 1939. only about 3370 built. I had 6 of them here at one time down to three now. I think there is 4 more in MB. They where a really good powerfull tractor in their day, IHC brought out the WD9 to replce it, but it never came close to what the WD40 could do.

John

John did you get my P.M. about the wd-40? Haven't heard back just wondering Todd

post-609-1238454956_thumb.jpgpost-609-1238454969.jpg

Here is a picture of my T-9 that I am trying to finish up before Spring.

Todd,

That looks like it's going to be a nice looking crawler. I always like those Bucyrus-Erie dozers. They were just a neat style that fit well with that series of IH crawlers.

Well, I can't sit here long as I need to go to Whitefish this morning to pick up my CD. Chris has it all cleaned up and ready for my scrutiny. I'm my own worst critic, when listening to them. I always hear the many missed opportunities and blatant errors. I'm also attending a former co-worker's birthday lunch.

Roger sent me kind of a tax statement this morning, which gives me hopes that my Social Security may last this year as well? We never know when that "Tire" (SS) is going to blow out?

Well Todd's pictures made me go for these three, as I have to go soon, so more "encore" photos. The first two pictures are of my old 181 series TD-18A with Bucyrus-Erie dozer and the last is of my earlier TD18A farming tractor. Gary <_<

post-5643-1238514270_thumb.jpgpost-5643-1238514697_thumb.jpgpost-5643-1238514415_thumb.jpg

Todd,

That looks like it's going to be a nice looking crawler. I always like those Bucyrus-Erie dozers. They were just a neat style that fit well with that series of IH crawlers.

Well, I can't sit here long as I need to go to Whitefish this morning to pick up my CD. Chris has it all cleaned up and ready for my scrutiny. I'm my own worst critic, when listening to them. I always hear the many missed opportunities and blatant errors. I'm also attending a former co-worker's birthday lunch.

Roger sent me kind of a tax statement this morning, which gives me hopes that my Social Security may last this year as well? We never know when that "Tire" (SS) is going to blow out?

Well Todd's pictures made me go for these three, as I have to go soon, so more "encore" photos. The first two pictures are of my old 181 series TD-18A with Bucyrus-Erie dozer and the last is of my earlier TD18A farming tractor. Gary <_<

post-5643-1238514270_thumb.jpgpost-5643-1238514697_thumb.jpgpost-5643-1238514415_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure I'd ever want to take a check from these Montana guys. Seems like every time I see them they've got their steam engine or tractor hooked up to their house and are MOVING. Pretty nomadic bunch.

Was that one of Scotty Zion's trucks in the middle picture?

The new tuba is going to fit in well.

Tom,

You have good eyesight! Scotty was there that day too. He had a bunch of those big old Binder trucks. Is there still a Zion Construction, or Zion House Moving Company in Great Falls? I met Scotty when I was 6 years old. The last time I saw him was at Choteau at one of your shows, and a good deal of years ago at that.

Gary

Scotty is still around but he retired and sold the housemoving business about 15 years ago. His brother Bob did have a construction firm in Choteau the last I knew.

Scotty wrote 3 little books of reminiscences of his life that another of my tractor friends Chuck Bronec from Geraldine lent me while I was sick in January.

totally off topic------------but worth taking a look at (wrong color and not even in Montana either)!!!! :mellow:

Anyway-----------most of my neighboring farmers are setting on ready------------and we already see a good bit of corn up.

Shot this photo just down the road at Longwood yesterday-----------this planter is setup up to plant twin rows on top of 12 x 38" row spacing. This planter is gaining in popularity down this way----priced somewhere in the $90,000 range----------has lift assist wheels mounted on rear. Am thinking this is a 8230 Deere-----see both 8230s and 8330s on the scene now.

post-1200-1238554019_thumb.jpg

And here is a 8330 with a 12 row "Do-All" mounted on the 3 pt hitch----------the Do-All knocks and drags off the top of the row just before the planter. Gives a little pulverizing action and allows the planter to place the seed in fresh moisture.

This is one of my best friend's son David Cochran--------who along with their large scale farming operation builds and sells the tank racks you see mounted here. Operates as Co Co Manufacturing, Avon, Mississippi-----------has been building these tank racks for several years. I wuz kidding him this afternoon about being one of the few farm equipment manufacturers who does not have a parts book on his product---------------that's a pretty good compliment on the product!!!!

He has shipped tank racks all over the U.S.----------(don't know about Canada----will have to ask).

post-1200-1238553890_thumb.jpg

Give this new paint a few years and it will be rusty and dusty also-----------but its bright and shiny for right now!!! :blush:

Delta Dirt

Avon, Ms 38723

totally off topic------------but worth taking a look at (wrong color and not even in Montana either)!!!! :mellow:

He has shipped tank racks all over the U.S.----------(don't know about Canada----will have to ask).

Delta Dirt

Avon, Ms 38723

Pretty impressive machinery Delta. Cotton planting I am guessing? We don't see equipment like that up here in wheatland country but possibly they use those type of mounted tanks in Eastern Canada?. Most of the cropland is still under snow here. I was pushing snow with the 2090 again this morning before the sun came out enough to thaw the ground and turn it to mud.

Going back about 40 years, here is a happy farmer unloading a couple of new Case tractors, a 730 and a Case-o-matic 830.

post-90-1238559114_thumb.jpg

Took a little trip down memory lane this evening and dug around in my old boxes of grubby parts books and accumulated sales brochures. Tried to bring back something for everyone.

Well what do ya know? There must really be a Saskatchewan!

post-6771-1238560904_thumb.jpg

I used to hang out at the farm machinery expo's. The Canadians always had the interesting stuff. Hard to believe this was over twenty years ago.

Tom,

I guess I'll have to try to locate some of Scotty's books? I thought he was out of the house moving business.

Delta Dirt,

"...Off Topic..." So... What does that mean and what does it have to do with this thread? You judge whether I'm putting this back "on topic?"

When I was leaving Great Falls after Carl Mehmke's funeral, I stopped at a "minimart" type store to get a cup of coffee for the stretch of eastern Montana highway between Great Falls and Browning. I had to take a picture of this sign in the front door of the market, as I couldn't believe my eyes! $54.39 per carton for Marlboro and a limit of 10 per customer??? I realize they need to sell them before the new federal tax kicks in next week, raising them around .50 cents a pack, but I can't seem to grasp someone plunking down $543.90 for ten cartons of cigarettes. I remember saying recently that I used to buy cartons of Pall Malls at the PX for $3 a carton in the early 1960s, but I quit when they reached .75 cents in the machine when I worked as a painter at Billings Chrysler-Plymouth in the early 1970s.

I feel sorry for you smokers. Really Sorry! Gary :blush:

post-5643-1238561687_thumb.jpg

These are probably the guys that Delta was selling against. I can remember when we thought this stuff was so modern.

post-6771-1238561804_thumb.jpg

post-6771-1238561970_thumb.jpg

post-6771-1238561862_thumb.jpg

I guess this one is mostly for me. This was a very popular arrangement on the Palouse when I was younger. Except that the ground wouldn't be so level and the RD-4 would have wider tracks.

post-6771-1238562520_thumb.jpg

I found a couple old RD-4 videos on You Tube the other night, unmuffled exhausts and all. It was great!

Took a little trip down memory lane this evening and dug around in my old boxes of grubby parts books and accumulated sales brochures. Tried to bring back something for everyone.

Well what do ya know? There must really be a Saskatchewan!

The Canadians always had the interesting stuff. Hard to believe this was over twenty years ago.

Greg, those Buyers Guide for our prairie implements were interesting and I have quite a

few of them saved too. Not sure how historically interesting they will be but who knows?

Your advertising brochure for the cam and roller hoist reminded me of the same type hoist

on my Uncle's old GMC truck. I'd always been used to the scissors type hoist and found

this cam and roller design was quite a novelty. Seemed to work well. Still on the truck

which is slowly rusting away in the retired machinery row.

This pic from about 1984 when the truck was still working.

post-90-1238565690_thumb.jpg