IH Tractors on Montana Farm

Old Binder Guy

Getting a little quiet on this thread. Thought I might post this link to a Western Canada IH collectors club that I just discovered. http://www.ihc38.com/

I see they have a DVD available showing their 2007 show equipment.

The Sukanen museum site is well worth a look too. http://www.sukanenmuseum.ca/

With wind chill factors in the -40s today its too cold to do much outside anyway. :(

Ralph,

The weather here is horrible as well. Was -48C at my house Monday nite and -37C last nite.

Glad you found the IHC Chapter 38 web site. I am the editor of their quarterly newsletter. It is worth the $$$ to join as you get the Harvester Highlights magazine plus our quarterly newsletter. It is kind of nice to see that there is a movement in Western Canada to preserve and support some of our IH history.

Do you belong to the International Cockshutt Club?? They have a pretty decent quarterly magazine as well.

Best

Ken

The weather here is horrible as well. Was -48C at my house Monday nite and -37C last nite.

Glad you found the IHC Chapter 38 web site. I am the editor of their quarterly newsletter. It is worth the $$$ to join as you get the Havestor Highlights magazine plus our quarterly newsletter. It is kind of nice to see that there is a movement in Western Canada to preserve and support some of our IH history.

Do you belong to the International Cockshutt Club?? They have a pretty decent quarterly magazine as well.

Best

Ken[/b]

Ken, I didn't realize you were involved in the club although I guess it shouldn't surprise me. Yes, I have gone as far as printing out the membership application and will likely mail it in with my cheque next time I get to town. (Which may not be for a while as it has been down to -40 overnight and my driveway is likely impassable). Good thing I have nowhere to go and all day to get there :rolleyes:

I have not yet installed the snow blower on the Cockshutt 40 and wouldn't want to sit out there on an open tractor for long at these temperatures anyway.

I've looked at the Cockshutt club site too although haven't joined up yet.

Wil,

I was so pleased to see the picture of me in the 40hp Reeves photo you took at Osage in August. That engine is the ultimate, in my mind. I place that engine on the "top shelf." However, I did have another humbling event there at Osage. On Saturday afternoon, before the steam cooked dinner we would experience, I took the engine below for a ride.

This first picture is one I took of it when 1958 owner Oren Krogstad had it at Cedar Falls, at the second annual Blackhawk Show.

post-5643-1201722475_thumb.jpg

This is a picture a friend of mine from Pennsylvania took of me running it on Saturday. This is an 1878 model Blumentritt steam traction engine. "Traction" means it pulls itself. Most of us are used to using the "traction" to also mean it can pull things, such as the Reeves was doing with that 14-bottom plow. This Blumentritt, however, pulls itself, but doesn't have a hitch on it. The "traction" was to only move itself to another location, where it could be backed into another belt... its only use... other than maybe helping clean up scrap wood around the farm. J.I. Case engine #1 was built in 1876, I believe, but it would be circa 1881-82 when a Case engine could pull itself. (I don't have my history here.) So in light of that, I know without a doubt, this IS the oldest steam engine I will EVER run. Notice the fire door is on the "front end", but it is a return flue steam engine. The water is on the opposite end and the platform is on the side, where I'm standing. Strangely, it is a DOUBLE CYLINDER steam engine and it is reversible with the Stephenson link valve motion.

Gary ;)

post-5643-1201722489_thumb.jpg

I added this picture of threshing with a 22" McCormick-Deering about 10 years ago near Columbia Falls, Montana. That is sure a great old R-160 setting there. I wish it set in my shed!

Gary ;)

Gary, that sure is a nice R series truck. Gulfstream Blue I believe they called that colour. My R-160 is yellow, and think it has shown up on this thread before. I wanted to post this one of a Reo that I took at a farm and antique collectors sale back in 03. The Chev looked pretty good too.

post-90-1201733802_thumb.jpg

Reading about that old '39 H prompted me to show mine. It's a Cultivator A. It, and I were born in '39 in upstate New York. My dad worked it for 30 years. When he was gone, my mom gave it to a neighbor. He treated it well for another 30. As his health was failing his daughter, eager to clean up the place wanted to put it on e-bay. He called my at my present home in the Okanogan mountains in north central Washington and said to "come & git it". I did, restored it & put it in the local parade pulling an old one horse fram wagon brought back here previously.

post-13177-1201734418_thumb.jpg

Hey Guys, I got to visit with Charley Hellickson today, he is out of the hospital and in a skilled care unit in his home town. His address is: Charley Hellickson, Madrid Home, 613 W. North St. Maddrid Ia 50156

He is making progress but still has a ways to go, physical therapy every day and all that kind of stuff.

He is in good spirits and ready for spring, I think we are all ready for spring, I know I sure am.

F2036

Hey Guys, I got to visit with Charley Hellickson today, he is out of the hospital and in a skilled care unit in his home town. His address is: Charley Hellickson, Madrid Home, 613 W. North St. Maddrid Ia 50156

He is making progress but still has a ways to go, physical therapy every day and all that kind of stuff.

He is in good spirits and ready for spring, I think we are all ready for spring, I know I sure am.

F2036

F2036,

Thanks so much for that update on Charley! I've sure been wondering. Tell him the whole country is ready for spring this year. Tell him, "Global Warming is in recession for now."

Thanks,

Gary ;)

Reading about that old '39 H prompted me to show mine. It's a Cultivator A. It, and I were born in '39 in upstate New York. My dad worked it for 30 years. When he was gone, my mom gave it to a neighbor. He treated it well for another 30. As his health was failing his daughter, eager to clean up the place wanted to put it on e-bay. He called my at my present home in the Okanogan mountains in north central Washington and said to "come & git it". I did, restored it & put it in the local parade pulling an old one horse fram wagon brought back here previously.

Vic, nice looking A. I bet you really value that tractor seeing as it belonged to your Dad.

I took this picture of an A at a big antique collection auction back in 03. It needed a little work. :rolleyes:

F2036

Thanks for the update. Good to hear Charlie is making progress. I"ll say we are ready for spring. It was -40 here last night.

And here is another nicer A from the same auction.

post-90-1201744502_thumb.jpg

post-90-1201745787_thumb.jpg

Vic, My dad bought a 39 Farmall A new before I was born, It also was crank start with a magneto, no lights or battery and no hole in the casting for a starter.

It has had two owners since he traded it on a W4 in 48, I do know where it is and the present owner says he will give us first chance if he wants to sell it.

sorry no picture.

Ray

Vic,

I forgot to compliment you on that 1939 Farmall A. Those early ones are like "brass" Model Ts in stature. My 1939 Farmall H had an electrical system for starting, but no lighting system when I got it. I added them but will restore it one more time (the Good Lord willing) and I will remove the lighting I put on in the 1960s, when it was a farm haying workhorse.

John,

Those old REOs are neat. I always liked seeing them. There were two differend H. Earl Clack Husky gasoline dealers in the area when I grew up. They both had REO trucks for their bulk deliveries. You can sure see the International Harvester D-30/KB-6 truck cab heritage in that green and yellow picture. It seems like IH furnished those cabs for another brand of truck, am I right? Maybe it was just REO?

I'm posting an 1888 self propelled combine that was posted on another site this morning. The steam power unit was by Holt on this Berry combined harvester at Stockton, California. It was a "GREEN" machine, as it consumed straw it cut for fuel for the steam engine powering it.

Gary ;)

post-5643-1201798742_thumb.jpg

John,

Those old REOs are neat. I always liked seeing them. There were two differend H. Earl Clack Husky gasoline dealers in the area when I grew up. They both had REO trucks for their bulk deliveries. You can sure see the International Harvester D-30/KB-6 truck cab heritage in that green and yellow picture. It seems like IH furnished those cabs for another brand of truck, am I right? Maybe it was just REO?

Gary ;)

Gary, you might be thinking of Diamond T as the other company that had IH (or a good imitation) cabs.

John , those are sure nicely restored Reo trucks. Never saw many of them around. I can think of one in this district, would have been similar to yours in year. I thought this might be a good time to post one of my favourite old truck ads , a 1951 Reo from the Saturday Evening Post.

2907811350032927439S600x600Q85.jpg

I'm posting an 1888 self propelled combine that was posted on another site this morning. The steam power unit was by Holt on this Berry combined harvester at Stockton, California. It was a "GREEN" machine, as it consumed straw it cut for fuel for the steam engine powering it.

Gary ;)

Gary, that is amazing they had up to 40 foot header way back in 1888. We are only just now seeing the first 40 footers on combines in this area. And thats impressive efficiency that they were harvesting up to 50 acres a day without burning any fossil fuels, only straw. Seems like we have gone backwards in some ways. :wacko:

Ralph,

I'll have to wait to see your picture when I get home tonight. You could be right about the Diamond-T as well? I remember checking VERY closely and REO did use an IH cab, right to the last screw.

I was amazed that this 1888 combine harvester was self-propelled, as well.

I'm going to post another picture from the Mehmke photo collection showing a Holt steam traction engine pulling combined harvester with a 50' header. It was hinged like the modern huge headers.

I remember when Dad and I traded the 14' IH 125-SPVC combine for a 403 Windrow Special with an 18' header. The neighborhood question was, "How the he11 are you going to watch all that header?"

Gary ;)

post-5643-1201804260_thumb.jpg

Well I got this from a friend in an email, as I've been too busy to post anything else. I figure it should start out pretty well. I wonder how it would stop on glare ice? I wonder if the heater works?

Gary ;)

That picture has made the rounds alright. Someone sent it to me a while back with the caption, "Canadian Hot Rod". :D No doubt making reference to our occasional cold and snowy weather.

Ralph,

While that is likely a great name for it, your area likely doesn't have anything over Whitefish, Montana, where I am now sitting. There is about three times as much snow here as there is 12 miles away at my Kalispell home. This Canadian Hot Rod would work just fine here, if it didn't get high centered or spin out.

Tom,

I think I see the heater switch there on the dash?

Gary ;)

post-5643-1201908082_thumb.jpg

Ralph,

While that is likely a great name for it, your area likely doesn't have anything over Whitefish, Montana, where I am now sitting. There is about three times as much snow here as there is 12 miles away at my Kalispell home. This Canadian Hot Rod would work just fine here, if it didn't get high centered or spin out.

Gary ;)

Glad to hear you have your share of snow Gary..Hopefully the farming area will get sufficient to give some moisture for this coming years crop. I'd say we are below normal snowfall here but what we have is giving a good ground cover. Driveway was pretty heavy going today, just about more than the 4WD Blazer could handle the first time through. Didn't have to use the shovel though. Looks like I need to install that snowblower tomorrow. :(

post-90-1201920331_thumb.jpg

Time to bring this up to the front page again ;) I tried to post twice Thursday night but for some reason both of my attempts ended in thin air :angry: so I went to bed and now I don't remember what I was trying to post :mellow:

Gary,

I can post more pictures from Osage here and if you like, I could also email them to you so that you can add them to your files.

F2036

F2036, Thanks for the update and address for Charley, I will find a card and send a note off to him.

We have (or had) more than our share of snow here. It warmed up to 45 degrees Monday and now we have glare ice or snow encrusted ice:-(

Here is a picture for Gary of warmer times here in Iowa :D

post-7998-1202004621_thumb.jpg

Wil

Here is a picture of my snow moving equipment :)

post-7998-1202004814_thumb.jpg

Time to bring this up to the front page again ;) I tried to post twice Thursday night but for some reason both of my attempts ended in thin air :angry:

We have (or had) more than our share of snow here. It warmed up to 45 degrees Monday and now we have glare ice or snow encrusted ice:-(

Wil

Wil, I know what you mean about posts disappearing. I have had the same thing happen several times the past week and it sure is annoying especially if I have typed up a long story :(

Good to see you have enough snow to get out and play with the snow removal toys. I have gotten lazy since I have a 4wd vehicle and haven't installed the snowblower yet. Consequently my driveway is passable only to other 4wd vehicles. Guess as soon as it warms up a bit I will have to get out there and install the snowblower.

I know this red power picture is the wrong shade of red but its not often we see these big old Massey 97s show up at sales anymore. This one is coming up later this spring and has one of those early (Macdonald)? cabs we had discussed a while ago.

post-90-1202007020_thumb.jpg

Time to bring this up to the front page again ;) I tried to post twice Thursday night but for some reason both of my attempts ended in thin air :angry: so I went to bed and now I don't remember what I was trying to post :mellow:

Gary,

I can post more pictures from Osage here and if you like, I could also email them to you so that you can add them to your files.

F2036

F2036, Thanks for the update and address for Charley, I will find a card and send a note off to him.

Wil

Wil,

I never tire of seeing photos of Reeves #6867! I'm posting one of me in "the 'driver's' seat" while plowing that Sunday from a young friend of mine who was there from Pennsylvania.

post-5643-1202073457_thumb.jpg

That is a great looking propane Allis you have you snow plow on. I'll bet it does alright in snow.

Ralph,

That was some pretty deep snow there with that 4X4 vehicle and the Hollywood model. Thanks for posting the Massey 97 and MacDonald cab. I wonder if it was standard for that model. The reason I ask, I had a friend who owned a 660 IH Diesel with a MacDonald cab and when you got up close, you could see how they adapted a WD-9 MacDonald cab, although a real clean job. One thing I never liked about the MacDonald was the sloped back windshield. Most tractor companies sloped them forward in later years after learning, dust would settle on them and "ball up" and kind of vibrate around your area of vision on the sloped back windshields.

Gary ;)

I've just lost two in a row myself, Ralph.

What I'd said was this (in an edit):

I've noticed the odometer recently tipped over again. I've posted other photos of these big 35-120 Nichols & Shepard "Red River Special" steam engines in the past. Three I remember were in the Judith Basin, where I was born and raised. One showed one pulling grain wagons and the other two were pulling a huge wooden combined harvester. The first steam engine I threw a match into the firebox, and pulled the throttle of was a Nichols & Shepard in 1954.

This one has lived on the east coast for as long as I've remembered, and through several owners. It is now located in North Carlolina. A friend of mine sent me a picture of this 35hp N&S taken in 2006.

Gary ;)

post-5643-1202150456_thumb.jpg

I got a photo sent to me today showing a friend's 22-36 McCormick-Deering he just bought. He said he has the steel wheels to put on it to make it more original. You have to admire the old girl. These tractors were an important early link in the "chain" between the prairie tractors of a hundred years ago and the modern tractors of today. They sure beat staring all day at the south end of a workhorse headed north (usually?).

post-5643-1202166994_thumb.jpg

Gary,

F2036

Wil

Here's my brother's snow remover in Steamboat Springs: