Old Binder Guy

IH Tractors on Montana Farm

Recommended Posts

Gary, the P-12 is a power unit. Check out page 144. Here is a pic of one of mine. The T-12 was never a production crawler. It was assembled from a W-12 and a Cleatrac undercarriage by another collector. I bought it at his auction. A pic of it and the Fairway. 

D86CA7AA-8C9B-415F-9B27-1C1C7A89FE75.jpeg

8BFA0E96-1069-487D-87A2-4E5D5E09AB3A.jpeg

8CB61065-713A-42D5-8AA1-BFCACFFBBBC0.jpeg

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow! 12_Guy... You have a real scarce unit there! I wondered if I'd missed something all my life! Between Dad and I we'd had eight IH (or McCormick) crawler tractors. I'd thought I had kept pretty good track of them, having also been an IH partsman. I'm glad that although I really am losin' it, I'm not really losin' it! I really appreciate your taking time to photograph your "12's" and posting them here!  Gary😉

PS: You reminded me of my dad on his brand new Cub Cadet a few years ago.

PPS: I guess this was my IH Tractor on a Montana Farm for today!

1839203611_CubCadetDad.jpg.6a4f6b194528373f113dd950e9e07fe6.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I can't get onto Facebook this morning. They say they are having a glitch and working on it. So, I'll post some of my Facebook IH stuff as of recent. I just as well start off with you corn country guys telling me what's going on here. What's the deal with the rear wheel centers on this first Farmall M?

1299375243_IHFarmallMpullingcornpickerhuskerorsomethingMarkC.jpg.bed2c7fc8ec60f1ca0d50d29c289e221.jpg

725260222_IHFarmallMpullingCasecornpickerDavidFuller.thumb.jpg.9a2f8bd5bd9a048aae5cd2ef17c3a075.jpg

A Farmall H with wide front end is pulling this binder cutting grain.

1028068255_IHFarmallHpullingbinderMarkC.jpg.e3b57dc21cbf62eaf1b51ab0984da636.jpg

Here's what I think is a 45 Mogul tractor pulling logs to the sawmill.

1335904552_IHC45MogulTractorpullinglogstothemillMarkC.jpg.91436d35eea0c4ada148ccd11b236334.jpg

A Farmall Regular pulls a McCormick Deering combine in the grainfield, combining.

720737066_IHCMcCormickDeeringcombineandFarmallRegularinfieldMarkC.thumb.jpg.e8d610839004913a3798129484d3be2f.jpg

A neat old photo of a farmer putting gasoline into his F-20 from an old visible gas pump.

1290034912_FarmerputtinggasolineintohisIHCFarmallF-20fromvisiblegaspumpMarkC.thumb.jpg.00bf57734bccfbc6264d88a756a8b81a.jpg

A Farmall 560 is pulling a model 82 combine. I've never seen an 82 combine in Montana. Maybe there are some on small acreages somewhere? 560 FARMALLS are something else I don't know if I've seen here? Standard International's (wheatland as they get called on this site) were what was sold mostly here.

129745774_IH82pulltypecombineand560FarmallMarkC.thumb.jpg.6f17517a63339af3130edbd3ed2f8fa6.jpg

This Super M got a lot of reaction on Facebook with ooh's and aah's.

183441528_IHFarmallSuperMMarkC.jpg.3ac88d7451e6bfc3d81a5e5d25850a35.jpg

And last, but not least, is this picture of a 141 SP combine with a pickup attachment eating windrows. I've sat a lot of hours (days) on a 141 combine. We always direct cut in central Montana. I don't ever remember seeing anyone windrowing their grain crops. Gary😉

414137315_IH141SPcombinewithpickupattachmentMarkC.jpg.ecf2a30e44c614c2d556da19b025874f.jpg

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Delta Dirt said:

Hammer--- 

Snap a picture of your regulator when you get a chance---------that's my limiting factor for now.

Was it an anhydrous regulator???  Haven't fooled with one of them in near 50 yrs---------but might find one around some of the neighbors.  Anhydrous used to be a big item with cotton growers------gradually switched to N-Sol.   Eventually the meth heads made anhydrous totally impractical.

You've got a good sound for 40 psi.

And------I checked my brass valve today.  It is 1-1/4".  Sprayed it up with penetrating oil--------don't really know when I will get back on the whustle project.  But your videos sure give a fellow an itch!!!!👍

 

DD

Regulator is just an air version on the compressor. I put a shut off in line with the air going to the expansion tank and another air pressure gauge on that inlet just for kicks. 

The whistle is hard lined to the expansion tank with 3/4” fittings. No need for a valve there since your trigger for your whistle does that for you. No need for a regulator either since you are looking for 100% volume going out. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So really you are carrying a max 40psi on your reservoir tank???

I was thinking to pump reservoir tank up to 100--125psi based on compressor regulator switch--------place regulator on outlet in front of valve.  That way have more capacity in working off of the "reservoir tank".

Plus-------have larger reservoir tank capacity for general compressor use in shop.

My air compressor has a 25---30 gallon tank.   Probably could work straight off of it-----------but would prefer to be further away from noise from compressor (and outside shop building).

In reality-------probably don't need a very large tank for short bursts from the whistle @ 50psi as long as you have a high volume available--------with a replacement flow constantly feeding the reservoir tank??

Also-------I keep thinking about working off of propane (as hanging on the side of the watermelon truck-----113 gal tank).

It's really not fair for the Professor to have all of that extravagant expansion factor associated with his steam.

But at least we don't have to cut the wood and feed the firebox.  Did you ever notice the lack of trees out there in Montana---------looks like they processed them all through the old steamers!!!🤗

My shop is about 1 mile away from the Missisippi River.  I just want my "whustle" to be loud enuff to send a "mating call" to the American Queen" riverboat as she passes by.

20180313_123804.thumb.jpg.c63106c6a71eb1ef7f0d91d367ebb69b.jpg

 

DD

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s exaclty the opposite of air horns and pretty much every other noise maker. You want high volume, low pressure for your “whustle”. I can totally drain a 300 gallon tank in less than 30 seconds with either one of my whistles. You can’t make enough air fast enough to refill what it expels. Fill, shut off compressor, blow whistle, repeat. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My regulator is 3/8" size-------for use on paint gun, etc.  I know it restricts max flow from compressor.

 

DD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Delta Dirt said:

My regulator is 3/8" size-------for use on paint gun, etc.  I know it restricts max flow from compressor.

 

DD

You might see if your compressor tank has a larger plug somewhere you could remove for more flow and plumb it out of there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel so bad for you two and your "whustles," not to get to blow them with steam. Sure it takes some wood, from prairies that have no trees, but it is sure satisfactory when you pull that chain and get the desired sound you're after. A teakettle isn't enough steam volume. Probably shouldn't use a pressure cooker either. Maybe you both need to pick up a steam boiler somewhere? Maybe at an old steam cleaner/laundry facility? Or at an old sawmill? Anyway, I can sympathise with you both.

I don't know how I missed this photograph of a ca 1934 IHC C-model semi tractor/trailer log hauling outfit today. It may have been the best photo of the day? I'm not sure what happened, whether brake failure, or the Armstrong power steering device wasn't fast enough? That'd sure be a fun old truck to own, though! I think it is my favorite truck style after the AutoWagons, Shovel Noses, and Six Speed Specials. Gary😀

2105608923_IHCC-modelloggingTruckmaybebrakesfailedonbridgeMichelHoubar.jpg.5e81bbebff7a8b236fd834c7b17ce31b.jpg

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The log truck picture reminded me of my dad's days of moving the TD-24 around back in the early 1950's.

Was nothing uncommon to break in a county bridge------not much fun at the time.  But as I look back-------I reckon the old TD-24 made a major contribution to updating the Delta's outdated road system.

Ironically-------currently the Delta has a huge number of bridges closed and our roads are in lack of maintenance.  Taxes are higher than ever-------but seems that the counties are spending $$$$ everywhere but on infrastructure. 

Might be time to bring the old TD-24 back???🙄

******

Hammer----I have a couple of large outlets in my air compressor tank.  But figure I need a larger regulator valve than the 3/8"------so not to restrict air volume.

 

DD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Delta Dirt said:

 

Hammer----I have a couple of large outlets in my air compressor tank.  But figure I need a larger regulator valve than the 3/8"------so not to restrict air volume.

 

DD

Just plumb a nipple out of one of those large outlets with a ball valve on the end. Your current tank pressure regulator (if like most) should have a well switch that you can adjust the tank pressure (shutoff pressure) with. Adjust it down to the 40psi so your compressor will shut off at that pressure. Plumb your “whustle” on the end of that ball valve mentioned above and use the trigger on the whistle to do the rest. The air going to the whistle doesn’t have to be regulated if you regulate overall tank pressure down to desired psi. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am following you now Hammer------you are just working off of compressor pressure.

Could do that easy enough-------but prefer to keep compressor pressure up in the 100---125psi range.

My compressor regulator switch is the electric "well switch" (as you described)--------but takes some tinkering to adjust up and down.

I will find a larger capacity regulator.  Sorta like to have it where I could make a quick mount onto a propane tank if wanted.  

Propane has more expansion quality than air---------but nothing like the Professor's S-T-E-A-M !!!!

Working off of a large tank pumped up to 125psi--------you could blow much longer @ 40--50 psi before running low on air.  And------I would put cut-off valve in line to auxiliary tank so it could be disconnected if desired.

Plus------the larger tank would be handy for my general shop use from time to time.

DD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a question for you whistle-blowers. Have you tried higher pressures?   Normal tank pressure should not be a problem since they were made to operate on boiler pressures of probably 150psi steam. Just wondering how they would sound. Maybe someone has tried and it doesn't sound good? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, 12_Guy said:

Just a question for you whistle-blowers. Have you tried higher pressures?   Normal tank pressure should not be a problem since they were made to operate on boiler pressures of probably 150psi steam. Just wondering how they would sound. Maybe someone has tried and it doesn't sound good? 

Yes, I tried some higher and you can adjust bell of the whistle for tone but 40psi did the best for me personally. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Delta Dirt said:

I am following you now Hammer------you are just working off of compressor pressure.

Could do that easy enough-------but prefer to keep compressor pressure up in the 100---125psi range.

My compressor regulator switch is the electric "well switch" (as you described)--------but takes some tinkering to adjust up and down.

I will find a larger capacity regulator.  Sorta like to have it where I could make a quick mount onto a propane tank if wanted.  

Propane has more expansion quality than air---------but nothing like the Professor's S-T-E-A-M !!!!

Working off of a large tank pumped up to 125psi--------you could blow much longer @ 40--50 psi before running low on air.  And------I would put cut-off valve in line to auxiliary tank so it could be disconnected if desired.

Plus------the larger tank would be handy for my general shop use from time to time.

DD

I actually put a valve between my compressor tank and my expansion tank (for volume) like you mention. I turned my compressor regulator (for output) down to 40psi while maintaining my tank pressure in the compressor tank at 120psi. Your output to your whistle needs to be unregulated and unrestricted for max volume out of your expansion tank. A 3/4” regulator would be expensive and not needed. When not whistling you just turn your compressor output regulator back to normal desired output and your compressor pressure has never changed other than to fill your expansion tank. Does that make sense?  Maybe I’m not relating my thoughts properly?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gary, going back a few posts but here is my 560 Farmall pulling an IH disk and an IH 70 plow in the field. So there is at least one in Montana.45319C0C-8A71-4D39-AC96-156145D9128F.thumb.jpeg.4a841b122a66f482b1758ab9a687adc0.jpeg

6F4AD5D0-06D8-46CA-A87C-4D7BD54FA5D8.thumb.jpeg.299937b3c5b4afe096c30dd2b571ed57.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I am understanding your design Hammer-------you have a pressure regulator on your air compressor tank outlet going to your reservoir (auxiliary) tank.  Pressure remains @ high working pressure in the compressor tank-----but you are controlling pressure going to the auxiliary tank via a regulator seperate from the compressor cut off switch???

In effect--------you are regulating pressure (and restricting flow) to the auxiliary tank.  But with a 300 gallon tank------you've got considerable volume to work off of.

I am wanting to keep the full volume of the compressor going to the auxiliary tank---------if I can luck up and find a large size regulator.  (May want to blow more than one whustle???)

With the full volume of the compressor going to my auxiliary tank--------I should "recharge" the auxiliary tank faster.

I might find a large size regulator right here in my old shop.  The 1-1/4" brass valve has been lying under my nose forever (just stumbled across it this past summer).  Gonna go to school on anhydrous regulators also-------some neighbors probably have some of them laying around.

Something else to dream about-----got some other projects to clear out first.

******

4 hours ago, 12_Guy said:

Just a question for you whistle-blowers. Have you tried higher pressures?   Normal tank pressure should not be a problem since they were made to operate on boiler pressures of probably 150psi steam. Just wondering how they would sound. Maybe someone has tried and it doesn't sound good? 

12_Guy

I talked with Roger several years ago about whistles.  Roger stated the need for high volume and lower pressures (most likely in the 40---50 psi range).  

I  built a homemade "whustle" and was feeding it with my 3/8 air line at varying pressures fro 90---125 psi.  Making noise------but not exactly what I wanted.

I don't think Roger has the musical talent that the Professor has (playing that squeezebox thing)-------but in the course of our conversations;  ol' Roger admitted to having helped build a calliope once. (that's beyond my wildest dreams!!!!)😳

 

Hope we haven't completely confused everyone with our "whustle" discussion here.

Worth noting:  those big brass whistles shown in Hammer's videos are legitimate steam WHISTLES.

What I am working on is homemade and just known as a "whustle"!!!😨

 

DD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Delta Dirt said:

If I am understanding your design Hammer-------you have a pressure regulator on your air compressor tank outlet going to your reservoir (auxiliary) tank.  Pressure remains @ high working pressure in the compressor tank-----but you are controlling pressure going to the auxiliary tank via a regulator seperate from the compressor cut off switch???

In effect--------you are regulating pressure (and restricting flow) to the auxiliary tank.  But with a 300 gallon tank------you've got considerable volume to work off of.

I am wanting to keep the full volume of the compressor going to the auxiliary tank---------if I can luck up and find a large size regulator.  (May want to blow more than one whustle???)

With the full volume of the compressor going to my auxiliary tank--------I should "recharge" the auxiliary tank faster.

 

 

 

You got it correct DD on my plumbing diagram.  You definitely do not want full pressure in your auxiliary tank regulated out to your whistle I don’t think. Regulate it between the two tanks. You want the volume, not the pressure. The high volume at lower pressure makes the sound. When not whistling you can up the pressure in the auxiliary tank for tires, tools, and anything else. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gary, you asked what was the deal with the rear wheel center on that M picking corn. Was there more information with that picture?  I wonder if that wasn’t a very early Australian built M.

Google shows pictures of Australia built Ms with solid cast rear centers. There is also a short page about the Geelong, Australia factory history and one of the drawings has a rear center like that. I don’t know if early Ms built in Australia were badged M or AM from the start.  From the article, IH started in Geelong in 1948.

Finally, what Americans picked corn in shorts?  Look at the two guys on the left side of the picture.  

I’m likely all wrong about the picture but that’s my best guess. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MT Matt said:

Gary, you asked what was the deal with the rear wheel center on that M picking corn. Was there more information with that picture?  I wonder if that wasn’t a very early Australian built M.

Google shows pictures of Australia built Ms with solid cast rear centers. There is also a short page about the Geelong, Australia factory history and one of the drawings has a rear center like that. I don’t know if early Ms built in Australia were badged M or AM from the start.  From the article, IH started in Geelong in 1948.

Finally, what Americans picked corn in shorts?  Look at the two guys on the left side of the picture.  

I’m likely all wrong about the picture but that’s my best guess. 

.......right on there MT Matt  .......and the other defining aspect is all those blokes are hanging about....doing nothing....so, definitely  Australians :D

Mike

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hammer------

I finished patching up my disk today and pulled it outside.  One of the last things I did is remove the small hydraulic "accumulator" pot that was associated with raising/lowering the hydraulic wings.

It crossed my mind that what we have been referring to as the "auxiliary reservoir tank" should technically be referred to as the "accumulator tank".

Just wanted to point that out before Roger chimes in and corrects us!!!!🙄

The 1 1/4 brass valve I mentioned is actually a "trigger valve (as referred to by you).

In looking closer at my  compressor-----my regulator on the compressor tank outlet is 3/4 bushed down to 3/8.

And---------not gonna be as easy as I was thinking to set my accumulator tank outside of shop near my air compressor.  I realized today my sliding door rolls past the location of my air compressor.  

But innovative minds always prevail.

Give me some time---------and I will have something whistling!!!!

But------I did get the old disk out of the shop.  And-----that's a major accomplishment!!!!   My welds sure don't need any inspections-------but I am giving it a lifetime warranty.  (my lifetime or its lifetime!!)😎 

20190315_172016.thumb.jpg.a6607baa6d7c0cc8dd652f3efdfa8c50.jpg

 

20190315_172035.thumb.jpg.a73f9ed4bdcd2607ae369be04393711d.jpg

Grinding, polishing and painting will have to wait------was time to move it outside.

 

DD

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Delta Dirt said:

Hammer------

I finished patching up my disk today and pulled it outside.  One of the last things I did is remove the small hydraulic "accumulator" pot that was associated with raising/lowering the hydraulic wings.

It crossed my mind that what we have been referring to as the "auxiliary reservoir tank" should technically be referred to as the "accumulator tank".

Just wanted to point that out before Roger chimes in and corrects us!!!!🙄

The 1 1/4 brass valve I mentioned is actually a "trigger valve (as referred to by you).

In looking closer at my  compressor-----my regulator on the compressor tank outlet is 3/4 bushed down to 3/8.

And---------not gonna be as easy as I was thinking to set my accumulator tank outside of shop near my air compressor.  I realized today my sliding door rolls past the location of my air compressor.  

But innovative minds always prevail.

Give me some time---------and I will have something whistling!!!!

But------I did get the old disk out of the shop.  And-----that's a major accomplishment!!!!   My welds sure don't need any inspections-------but I am giving it a lifetime warranty.  (my lifetime or its lifetime!!)😎 

20190315_172016.thumb.jpg.a6607baa6d7c0cc8dd652f3efdfa8c50.jpg

 

20190315_172035.thumb.jpg.a73f9ed4bdcd2607ae369be04393711d.jpg

Grinding, polishing and painting will have to wait------was time to move it outside.

 

DD

What's wrong with your old grain truck in the background DD? Other than just lack of use I mean.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ArkLa 1086-----

That's a 1962 or 1963 1600 Loadstar with a 22 ft Grove rollback implement bed with hydraulic winch.  I also had grain side boards for it.  We sold the rollbacks at one time and used the truck as a demonstrator.  Seems like Doyne Loyd had the same rollback on a CO truck there in Lake Village.

Tires had gotten bad and it needed brakes.  I got out of farming and let it set under shed for number of years.  Was moving it and engine was stuck------so left it sitting outside.

It needs a new home.  I was going to make a goose-neck out of it------but never got around to it.  Good restoration project--------or goose neck conversion project.  And------I have a heavy duty goose neck (neck) .

Come over and take a look-----we need to meet each other anyway.  If interested or you are over this way sometime----662 335-5213 rings my cell phone.

I am one mile soh of Avon on Hwy 1.

 

DD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Delta Dirt said:

ArkLa 1086-----

That's a 1962 or 1963 1600 Loadstar with a 22 ft Grove rollback implement bed with hydraulic winch.  I also had grain side boards for it.  We sold the rollbacks at one time and used the truck as a demonstrator.  Seems like Doyne Loyd had the same rollback on a CO truck there in Lake Village.

Tires had gotten bad and it needed brakes.  I got out of farming and let it set under shed for number of years.  Was moving it and engine was stuck------so left it sitting outside.

It needs a new home.  I was going to make a goose-neck out of it------but never got around to it.  Good restoration project--------or goose neck conversion project.  And------I have a heavy duty goose neck (neck) .

Come over and take a look-----we need to meet each other anyway.  If interested or you are over this way sometime----662 335-5213 rings my cell phone.

I am one mile soh of Avon on Hwy 1.

 

DD

10-4 I'll definitely give you a ring soon, I gotta run up to Lowe's in Greenville for some parts for my well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now