Old Binder Guy

IH Tractors on Montana Farm

8 hours ago, twostepn2001 said:

Gary, l have a question for you. Ho do you put the captions for your pics in between each one?

twostepn2001,

I hope I can explain the answer to  your question. I write what I want to about the photo then I hit "Enter."

If you have a photo to post, put it here. Then on that photo, I hit Enter.

That puts the next line down here to explain your next photo. Then I hit Enter.

I put the next photo here, then hit enter. etc. etc.  Gary😉

I'm sure no computer geek. 

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 6:39 AM, Old Binder Guy said:

mike_neuman, Maybe one of these two photos? Gary

IH TD-14 pulling 51 International harvester hillside combine Brandon Ball.jpg

TD-14 IH Crawler & 51 PT combine.jpg

......Thankyou, Gary.....those are the pictures !! Great photos......Brother got a copy of the lower one from the Archives etc...got it framed.....and t'other one is just as good......are you able to comment on the IH headers ?? I guess they had onboard    hydraulics to level the platform??

Two different   TD14's.......and two different   headers.....

Mike

10 hours ago, mike_newman said:

......Thankyou, Gary.....those are the pictures !! Great photos......Brother got a copy of the lower one from the Archives etc...got it framed.....and t'other one is just as good......are you able to comment on the IH headers ?? I guess they had onboard    hydraulics to level the platform??

Two different   TD14's.......and two different   headers.....

Mike

Mike, I don't know the difference in the headers, but that big wheel (I believe?) is what is used to keep the combine's harvester portion upright? I stand to be corrected and Greg Druffel doesn't show up here anymore, I don't believe? He's the one who knew these IH #51 combines.

And occasionally those sidehill combines got into trouble and turned over. 😥 Gary

1284153138_CombineupsetturnedoverGregDruffelcrop.thumb.jpg.b267977e0f2fcd8b40e7319a74a46218.jpg

I don't know a darn thing...... But I've picked up some pictures from Facebook. IHC, McCormick-Deering and even Milwaukee. I like this Milwaukee photo for its grain cutting development. It shows a little boy in the binder seat, holding onto the team of horses reins. Then notice Grandpa has a sickle, for early back breaking grain cutting. Then Dad has the grain cradle and wooden rake for a later style of cutting grain. And of course the newest is the Milwaukee binder. I have a catalog for one of these, that I scrounged from the IHC books when I was a partsman in 1974.

1013137965_MilwaukeeBindermanwithsicklemanwithscytheandwoodenrakeDavidFuller.thumb.jpg.6aafe54ca1634bacbf68f6b6e4bf65a3.jpg

This one shows an IHC 10-20 Titan threshing and having built a huge strawstack next to their barn. Everyone is posing for the photo. And their rocks are worse than the ones I farmed around in Montana. More like Mike found (dug up) building his place at Silver Creek.

1106418756_IHC10-20TitanhandfedfeedthreshingbybarnhugestrawpilepeopleposingDavidFuller.jpg.20e6e37b8bdf8a43bc45a55069c82694.jpg

This is a McCormick-Deering 15-30 (?) pulling a Holt metal combined harvester. The faithful old Model TT Ford with it's corner glass cab is picking up the grain.

1418975452_McCormickDeeringtractorHoltCombineModelTTFordgraintruckDavidFuller.jpg.4bb04d08604880c63d2ab230cb51256b.jpg

This is a W-30 McCormick-Deering pulling one of their grain binders.

1264280352_McCormickDeeringW-30tractorpullingbinderinfieldRonLippit.jpg.9ef943a88b1e19a146231e7f89c58a7d.jpg

This one shows different brands of tractors at some fair or exposition/demonstration. McCormick-Deering, Fordson, not sure but guessing Rock Island, Case, Cleveland and Rumely Oilpull.

1568084820_gasTractorsondisplayatfairoreventMcCormickCaseRumelyetc.DavidFuller.thumb.jpg.5d90a3302eff3e2ee679eddb68b82a96.jpg

This was the construction of the International Harvester Co. building in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.

897057548_ConstructionoftheInternationalHarvesterIHCBuildingSiouxFallsSouthDakota1917DavidFransen.thumb.jpg.5b3458e641500a9a6358b7301674972f.jpg

And this farmer's wife has newfound freedom in her life, by having this automatic washing machine. The only thing, her husband needs the McCormick Deering Type M gas engine to grind feed in an hour. And they need to have it back to separate the cream from the milk at 5:PM.

655840917_McCormickDeeringtypeMenginewashingclothesmachineladylaundry.jpg.54ab34682966f563230c9fb059bd3039.jpg

Then this picture of an International Harvester Six Speed Special delivering ice in "Rochester." It could have been in Roger's neighborhood, if not New York?

1592916843_IHCinternationalharvestertruckRochesterIceDavidFuller.jpg.d011207bc7090361cf17ce9ce8b6f291.jpg

And last, but not least, this picture shows a cattle trailer pulled by a KB-8 (?) at a stockyard.  Gary😉

1532076556_IHCKB-8SemiTractorcattleTrailerBluegrassStockyardsinLexingtonKentuckyDavidFransen.thumb.jpg.bf3bd46d86abce8bffa3c273fd15281a.jpg

Mike no hydraulics on the old pull combines. A staff with a gear the went up and down the staff. At least on all that I have seen.  The Holt latter 34 and 36 John Deere the A model both wheels moved up and down the B only the left (looking from the back) moved. From stories the IH 51 would level more than the other models,but I don't know if it leveled from both or just one side. Will try to ask some question around and report back.

• Like 1

Just to let the Professor know that he is not the only one with pictures of Marilyn Monroe---------and that there are more old boys than John Wayne looking out for her!!!!!

It appears that I might have been a few years younger when this photo was snapped-------------but fortunately, Marilyn was always young!!!!!

617549971_meandMarilyn.jpg.a3c30e92bdebfa4c13220647485ff09c.jpg

Not exactly rusty old scrap iron in this picture-------------but still a worthy subject for discussion with any old scrap iron collector!!!!!:wacko::D

DD

• Like 4

Delta, I’d say she aged very nicely!!  Good that you’re looking out for her!  😳🤣

Professor, Ive never heard of a Milwaukee brand binder. Was there a connection with McCormick Deering?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MT Matt said:

Delta, I’d say she aged very nicely!!  Good that you’re looking out for her!  😳🤣

Professor, Ive never heard of a Milwaukee brand binder. Was there a connection with McCormick Deering?

Milwaukee was one of the five companies that formed IHC. I think the name was used for some time after the merger. The others were Champion, Plano, and of course Deering and McCormick. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MT Matt said:

It was one of the competitors absorbed by McCormick Deering, Matt. Gary😉

To add to what others have already said, there were over 10 different companies that combined to make the International Harvester Company.   When IHC was formed in August of 1902, it was a merger of the following organizations:  McCormick Harvesting Co.  -  Deering Harvester Co.  -  Plano Manufacturing Co.  -  Champion Machine Co.  and  Milwaukee Harvester Co.   Within a few years, they also added:  D. M. Osborne Co.  -  Aultman-Miller Co.  -  Keystone Co.  -  Weber Wagon Works  -  Minnie Harvester Co.  and Parlin & Orendorff Co. (aka P & O Plows).   Do to a  ruling brought about by a court case involving the pre-existing McCormick dealers and Deering dealers, some product lines were divided between the dealerships.   Prior to 1923, the engine and tractors were split between the dealerships with the Mogul line being sold by the old McCormick dealers and the Titan line offered by the Deering dealers.   Another interesting point was that none of the companies involved with the IHC mergers built threshing machines.  Instead IHC contracted and sold machines built by other companies which included:  Heebner & Sons Co. (aka Sterling)  -  Buffalo-Pitts Co. (aka Niagara)  and  Belle City  Manufacturing Co. (aka New Racine).   In 1925 they started to build their own machines and they were all steel . . .  previous threshers offered built by the other companies, were either all wood or at least wood framed.

Probably more info than anyone is interested in . . . and not near as interesting as the photo of Anson and Marilyn!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

roger, are you sure about  none of the company's building threshers. i have a wooden keystone , with elevator type straw rack, ( it was used for peanuts)  unless they quit building them after the merger. P&O drag type planters were very popular here. they were made in 1,2,&4 row, the 4 row   most popular. they were sweep type planters . one local tinker farmer put 2,   4 row together for a 8 row.

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 2:52 PM, ray54 said:

Mike no hydraulics on the old pull combines. A staff with a gear the went up and down the staff. At least on all that I have seen.  The Holt latter 34 and 36 John Deere the A model both wheels moved up and down the B only the left (looking from the back) moved. From stories the IH 51 would level more than the other models,but I don't know if it leveled from both or just one side. Will try to ask some question around and report back.

....Got that Ray.....infact if there had been a 'prize'   for the "Day's   Dumbest  Question "...I would have walked away with it ...sigh

..There were hydraulics on those early 14's...(not the pictured  ones, though )......but  for some reason.....never mind:blush:

...None the less...having been around machinery  all my life...intrigues  me how the "co-pilot '   levelled those  headers.......What about that one pictured behind that AG. D5 ??

.......Plenty of hills around our area here in NZ....so  as we did contracting for years...ended up discing   /sowing   on some  rather mean country...slope gradient wise.....in fact  I have been root-raking  with the old  D6B  , readying  ground for new pasture etc...via root crops.. also have tidy old 91 series TD9.....which was out harrowing and rolling  etc last week.....hence the great interest  in those neat old pictures that Gary and others  come up with

...During my first of many trips to the US of A, I watched this JD  (?)   header at work...I always thought it was in Idaho.......not sure now after 46 yrs...Watched it for some considerable time.....just off the highway

Thanks for your reply, and it would be good if you found a bit more info  ......:)

Mike

1972 jd combine.jpg