Old Binder Guy

IH Tractors on Montana Farm

Reckon I am headed back to "standing in the corner" based on Hammer's testimony???😨

Who all remembers "standing in the corner" in our early childhood days???

Don't see that form of discipline much anymore.

Thinking about the vertical steam engine in Bitty's pictures---------do you reckon they may have operated more than one of these small engines with a remote boiler??

Don't know that is feasible or not-----just thinking about a manifold dispersing steam to various points. (I  now see the union fitting that Fred mentioned) Looks like multiple output points would require some additional management???

Where is Roger when you need him-----must be catching a nap up there in Minnesota.

DD

I see at least two uses for the steam, powering a machine to scrub the inside of the bottles, powering the capping machine, and steam being used to heat the wash water, and then to sanitize the bottles.

glad to hear that your doing alot better Old Binder. 

• Like 1

Not uncommon to see steam used for heating the building, heating water, and powering an engine. Maybe add cooking, washing dishes, and more. If you have a central boiler you can provide steam to all of them.  Steam has a lot of use and was one of our early methods of transporting energy to a machine. 

2 hours ago, Delta Dirt said:

Reckon I am headed back to "standing in the corner" based on Hammer's testimony???😨

You've been good DD. I do remember having to go sit in the "thinking chair" for a punishment. I don't think it phased me much though....

7 hours ago, Delta Dirt said:

Thinking about the vertical steam engine in Bitty's pictures---------do you reckon they may have operated more than one of these small engines with a remote boiler??

Don't know that is feasible or not-----just thinking about a manifold dispersing steam to various points. (I  now see the union fitting that Fred mentioned) Looks like multiple output points would require some additional management???

Where is Roger when you need him-----must be catching a nap up there in Minnesota.

DD

I saw my mil yesterday and she saw someone that was pretty sure that the steam engine was in there to run some tools. She has a few others to ask yet but unfortunately most from the last generation has passed to the other side by now. It was two generations ago that  used this equipment ( from myself and my wife's perspective) 

glad to know your back Gary, i hope  your fingers still work for the squeezebox.    Fred

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Delta Dirt said:

DD

Recall getting my butt kicked a time or 2 at a young age as well as getting my mouth washed out with soap at slightly older age a time or 2......🤔😮😔

10 hours ago, bitty said:

I saw my mil yesterday and she saw someone that was pretty sure that the steam engine was in there to run some tools. She has a few others to ask yet but unfortunately most from the last generation has passed to the other side by now. It was two generations ago that  used this equipment ( from myself and my wife's perspective) 

Would make sense to have a remote engine for an application like a farm. Only other option would have been a line shaft like what the factories of the time used but that setup wouldnt be very feasible on a farm.

23 minutes ago, Art From DeLeon said:

Did they also use the boiler to heat the house with steam heat?

No. We removed the old majestic cook stove two years ago. They had fireplaces also

Here is a similar upright steam engine that used to be at Belgrade, Montana. They ran a shingle saw with it. They could be used for anything that needed turned. Dad and his brothers ran their line shaft in their shop with an outfit about like this. They put a McCormick-Deering combine engine on it later. Internal combustion engines start turning much quicker than external (steam) engines do. This photo gives you some things to examine, such as the steam line and the exhaust line. You can see how the crankshaft turns the governor belt.

561679692_ShinglemakingBarnesLaurieLanceine.jpg.2edba53269315ee65a8d5fbcab696782.jpg

And as far as using the boiler to heat things, that'd be feasible too. My uncle had an upright boiler, but no steam engine, in his dairy bottling room. Gary😉

• Like 1

should the governor shaft turn at the same speed as the crankshaft, or does it matter?

Several years ago l found this pic of a steam powered ditching machine at Ranger, Texas in about 1925. l never really paid any attention to it up till the past few days when this discussion started. Seems like to me it's not a very big engine.

Ranger, Tx steam ditcher.JPG

That's an interesting (and compact) set-up the Professor posted.  Easy enough with making the right angle drive with the twist on the belt.

As I think back------flat belts just faded away as "modernization" took over.

And-----seems like there was always a can of "belt dressing" within easy reach of any flat belt operation.

TwoStep----

Looks as if your buddies at Ranger, Tx could use some help with their automobile.

I can well imagine the effort taken for the operation and MAINTENANCE of the big ditcher.  But-------it had to beat the hand shovel!!!

All evidence that there have always been innovative minds trying to build a better mousetrap.

Now------innovation has taken us into the "computerized/electronic" world of cyber space.  

I am not running too slow-------the world is just spinning too damn fast!!!😨

DD

34 minutes ago, Delta Dirt said:

TwoStep----

Looks as if your buddies at Ranger, Tx could use some help with their automobile.

I can well imagine the effort taken for the operation and MAINTENANCE of the big ditcher.  But-------it had to beat the hand shovel!!!

Maybe the car got stuck so they decided to run a ditch down Main Street to drain the water away? 😊

It does look small for the application but with the power of steam (what was the expansion rate 1600x?) and the right gearing I suppose it could turn almost anything. There was no doubt a reason that monster was sitting in the middle of down town. 

Several companies built trenchers. This is one that was in Lewistown, Montana, where I was born. Proper gearing reduction beyond the actual steam engine could have powerful effects, using steam. I've looked at these trenchers and wondered if you could spend enough grease on them to keep them from tearing themselves apart? Maybe they worked fine forever, with cast iron gearing and babbit bearings? Gary😉

Lewistown, Steam ditcher, front, GC Morton.jpg

Lewistown, Steam ditcher rear, GC Morton.jpg