1086 TA

Just got a 1086 that I was told the TA was out. When its in high gear, and you open the throttle it seems like the clutch slipped, but in high 2, when I hold a brake, the tractor will slide the braked tire and keep on going with the other tire. If the clutch was slipping, when you lock up a tire, the other would probably slow or stop also, right? The other tire scratched for all its worth on the dirt in the yard. So then I wondered if the TA is stuck on the low side, but when going down the road, the tractor accelerates but doesn't seem to reach top speed for a short time. It almost acts like the TA is shoved ahead later, but without the "jump" that should accompany the shift. Is there something else wrong or is it just the TA? How long do you fellas suppose it will lats this way? We just plan on using it to rake hay, matbe plant corn with etc, no heavy work. Whilw we're at it, what is the best TA to get to replace this with, and how hard is it to replace? I have split 06-56 series before, but not an 86 series. Does the cab have to come off? Thanks for your help, Rob

Rob,

Check the T.A. adjustment. Sounds like the cable clamps might be loose or the link is broken at the adjustment turnbuckle.

In direct the snap ring on the T.A. spool should contact the stop surface of the MCV. In Lo the snap ring must be 1 1/8th inch above the stop surface. It is more important to obtain the 1 1/8th inch measurement and is acceptable to have a small gap between the snap ring and stop surface.

If the cable clamps have phillips head screws replace them with allen head screws. I still find some of the old phillips head screws every now and then.

I'm only allowed to get my T.A.'s from one source, the parts guys up front. Others here have had experience with the various aftermarket suppliers.

The cab does not have to come off of an 86 series for T.A. replacement.

Thanks, I'll check that tomorrow. Hope the TA will make it until next winter, but I guess we'll see. Did the 86 series tractors ever have an alternator with the plug out the back, like an 856? This tractor has one like that and it must have a short or something, if the wires are both connected(not the heavy gauge wire) it will kill the batteries in a day. If this is the correct alternator, where is the regulator? Also, when starting and stopping, sometimes a "bang" can be heard from down below, is that related to the TA? Thanks again, Rob

Archived