When Case and IH merged?

willpullem

I was reading on tractordata.com the when case and IH merged the larger IH models were dropped in favor of the case models. I wasn't very old when all this transpired. Does anyone have any insight regarding this decision. I know the newer Case IH tractors have a good reputation despite some weak power shift models. I am not saying it all went downhill since then just curious about some of your opinions.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I understand they opted to keep the case line for a couple reasons, one being that the Farmall plant was very old & worn out, & the case 94 series tractors were newer than the 50 series of IH. I think much of the tooling was hauled out of the Farmall plant to Racine for future production. As for the power shift troubles you speak of I assume you are talking about the red painted case 94 series.

Hi willpullem,

I think that was first of all because Tenneco - then the owner of Case - only bought the European but not the American IH plants. So only the old Case Series 94 and 96 models from the Case plant in Racine, Wisconsin were transferred into the new CaseIH program, which must habe been rather disappointing for former IH customers and dealers.

In Europe things looked totally different. Former IH customers could now the well-known tractor models with CaseIH colours, while Case (former David Brown) production in the UK was cut down to the models 1394, 1494, 1594 and 1694 after the merger and ceased already in 1988.

Best regards

From what I understand they opted to keep the case line for a couple reasons, one being that the Farmall plant was very old & worn out, & the case 94 series tractors were newer than the 50 series of IH. I think much of the tooling was hauled out of the Farmall plant to Racine for future production. As for the power shift troubles you speak of I assume you are talking about the red painted case 94 series.

You are right, Case 94 series was newer than IH 50 series, but they were not newer or even superior in every respect, since they were only further developed 90 series tractors. In addition to that IH had a much higher market share in the USA than Case.

Anyway it lasted just over two years till the Magnum came which hopefully satisfied former IH customers as well as Case customers.

When I was at NCSU I found out that the library had big, bound volumes of their magazine subscriptions, which included Progressive Farmer, Implement & Tractor, etc. I mean, bound issues back into the 19th Century!! I remember finding an issue of Implement and Tractor (I think, at any rate a farm magazine) from 1984-85 right after the merger that had an in-depth interview, I think it was with the head of Tenneco. At any rate it had some very detailed information about why they decided to produce what and where. I recall that the Farmall plant itself wasn't part of the deal, and Farmall was way, way too big and expensive to operate compared to Racine. I wish I had made a copy of that article.

I too think it wsa a mistake to make the "red Case's" They were already going to move the tooling to Racine (to make Magnums), they should have geared up and made a whole bunch of 50 series IH's before they shut the plant down and moved the tooling, and abandoned the Case tractor. They could have made some more 50's at Racine prior to the Magnum if they needed to. I would have rather bought a rebadged 50 series tractor.

Al

case-ih did not retain rights to build the IH engines .the engine rights are owned by navistar .

That might be another reason. CaseIH would have had to buy engines from navistar while they built their own 504 cid six cylinder engines and just had set up the Consolidated Diesel Corporation together with Cummins to produce four and six cylinder engines with 240, 359 and 505 cid.

I thought the Magnum line was an IH design and was to called the New Farmall to replace the 50 Series. Didn't Tenneco take a tractor from Farmall plant to Racine and change engine make and cab somewhat? I always thought the Mangum was more IH than Case as with everything else in the after '85 line up. dougf

Hi dougf,

of course the IH research and design work was not thrown away after the merger. I am told there was an IH 5588 prototype with a new one door cab and a further developed transmission already in 1985.

Magnum ist in fact more a successor to IH 50 series than to Case 94 series. Magnum transmission is further developed from the 50 series and the Dana MFWD axle seems to be the same. The cab was completely new but in there seem to be more IH than Case ideas. Only the engine was a 505 cid CDC and so definitely Case/Cummins and it is said that the front frame was a Case or CaseIH design, because it was probably done after the merger.

Best regards

We have an 886, 1486 and a 7110 Magnum.

The only difference I see in the Magnum cabs are, the door is hinged on the B post, the windshield has a compound or double curve and filler pieces in the front corners.

The controls are different but similar to the 5088.

The dash has a distinct Case style to it and the seat is a bit farther back .

B post omitted on the right side and a different back window.

still uses the same cab air filter.

And of course all that fiberglass.

The rear hubs and axles are Case style, front axles are IH style both 2wd and MFD.

Also it drives like an IH should

Ray

I was able (lucky actually) to buy an original copy of a C-IH Engineering generated CAB rationalization report dated July 1985. The MAGNUM cab that was used in the 7100 series is shown in several photos as a lifesize 1:1 scale prototype. VERY little of the cab has CASE origins.

The TX prototoypes that are slowy being located prove that IH was well on its way to introducing "B" post doors, full digital dash/intrumentation, flat side console with hand throttle lever and more!!!

One of the reasons Farmall built tractors were dropped, was that the tooling had to moved to Racine and the UK, and Case needed something to sell. So they "fire saled" the 94 series......and a few customers too..... :wacko:

Hi dougf,

of course the IH research and design work was not thrown away after the merger. I am told there was an IH 5588 prototype with a new one door cab and a further developed transmission already in 1985.

Magnum ist in fact more a successor to IH 50 series than to Case 94 series. Magnum transmission is further developed from the 50 series and the Dana MFWD axle seems to be the same. The cab was completely new but in there seem to be more IH than Case ideas. Only the engine was a 505 cid CDC and so definitely Case/Cummins and it is said that the front frame was a Case or CaseIH design, because it was probably done after the merger.

Best regards

frame rail from a 1066 will bolt right on a 7110,rear looks to be the same as a 5X88 and i seen pictures years ago on the new farmall with the new cab which looked pretty close to a magnum.

I was able (lucky actually) to buy an original copy of a C-IH Engineering generated CAB rationalization report dated July 1985. The MAGNUM cab that was used in the 7100 series is shown in several photos as a lifesize 1:1 scale prototype. VERY little of the cab has CASE origins.

The TX prototoypes that are slowy being located prove that IH was well on its way to introducting "B" post doors, full digital dash/intrumentation, flat side console with hand throttle lever and more!!!

One of the reasons Farmall built tractors were dropped, was that the tooling had to moved to Racine and the UK, and Case needed something to sell. So they "fire saled" the 94 series......and a few customers too..... :wacko:

a bunch of them went green,grand pa said he would never own a tractor that said case on it and he didn't.

bought 2 5488s and a5088 and died in 1993,if he would have made it a couple more years i think he would have had a magnum.

did the 5588 look like this??? :D:D

or this??

post-355-1151460190_thumb.jpg

post-355-1151460249_thumb.jpg

My 1989 7130 has the "IH" casted on many different drive train housings. However, the 1990 7110 they're not there? They didn't take the time to grind the logo off the early castings :lol: !

IMO that Magnum tractor is 90% IH, maybe 5% Case & 5% Cummins!

IH RD

I sold one of the fist Magnums in NC in early 1988 and it had IH casting numbers all over it. The only thing case on the tractor was the front sheet metal. The literature promotes the Cummins engine. Also the Case name on the side was back to small print equal size of the International name

wonder what a 5488 would look like with case international spelled out on the side of the hood???

heres a picture that has been posted before, it is photo shopped.

post-133-1151501876_thumb.jpg

wonder what a 5488 would look like with case international spelled out on the side of the hood???

heres a picture that has been posted before, it is photo shopped.

Boy I REALLY like the looks of that tractor... I'm going to be depressed for the rest of the day now... That would have been such a beautiful machine to operate.

I thought about this all day yesterday before I even read this topic. I sat in a 6588 2+2 last week and wondered to myself "What did IH do wrong? This is unbelievable!!" What's done is done... I'll go continue working on my (borrowed) 51 Super C.

I remember reading in one of my IH books that the main reason for the purchase was that Case wanted the IH combines.

Hi,

I don't buy that.

IH had just sunk millions of dollars on that 50 series drive train & had a prototype powershift version! Don't let any body make you believe they just wanted the combine line when all Case had was a 10+ year old drive train in a warmed over out dated tractor! :huh:

IH RD

I remember reading in one of my IH books that the main reason for the purchase was that Case wanted the IH combines.

I don't believe that either. You also have to consider that they bought three large tractor plants in western Europe, where IH had almost 10 % market share and Case only about 2 %.

In the USA IH sold about two times as many tractors as Case (market share over 40 hp IH vs Case was about 18 % vs 9 % back in 1983, but I don't think these numbers will have changed largely until the merger.

I don't believe that either. You also have to consider that they bought three large tractor plants in western Europe, where IH had almost 10 % market share and Case only about 2 %.

In the USA IH sold about two times as many tractors as Case (market share over 40 hp IH vs Case was about 18 % vs 9 % back in 1983, but I don't think these numbers will have changed largely until the merger.

Your numbers are reflected in the number of 90/94 series & 50 series you still see. I very seldom see a 94 series case but see a lot of 50's around here & tons of 86's compared to the 90's case.

Two more numbers might be interesting:

Estimated worldwide production numbers for 1982 show 70000 IH tractors vs only 21000 Case tractors.

By the way I am wondering about a totally different thing:

After the old 96 and 94 series were dropped, CaseIH offered three tractor families in the USA in the early 90s:

95 series with 35 to 85 hp

Maxxum with 77 to 94 hp

Magnum with 132 to 215 hp

From 1992 on the largest Maxxum had 112 hp, but I wonder what CaseIH offered in the gap between 94 and 132 hp before ...

In Europe they had the models 1255 XL and 1455 XL in thes range, but they were not offered in America.

Two more numbers might be interesting:

Estimated worldwide production numbers for 1982 show 70000 IH tractors vs only 21000 Case tractors.

By the way I am wondering about a totally different thing:

After the old 96 and 94 series were dropped, CaseIH offered three tractor families in the USA in the early 90s:

95 series with 35 to 85 hp

Maxxum with 77 to 94 hp

Magnum with 132 to 215 hp

From 1992 on the largest Maxxum had 112 hp, but I wonder what CaseIH offered in the gap between 94 and 132 hp before ...

In Europe they had the models 1255 XL and 1455 XL in thes range, but they were not offered in America.

Actually, Case continued making the 18 & 2096 tractors up until 1991-92 to fill the gap between the biggest Maxxum and the smallest Magnum. The 96 series were eventually replaced by the bigger 5250 Maxxum in 1992, which had 112HP. The 94 series were dropped at the end of 1987 with the introduction of the Magnum tractor.

As far as "why Case tractors and not IHs", there were several reasons, both good and bad. As they say, "to the victor go the spoils", so Case wanted to show that it was the "victor" after Papa Tenneco purchased IH's ag line. Also, the "new Farmall" was not quite ready for release, so Case could do some "changes" that it felt necessary before being released as the Magnum. Case got to put "their" engine in it (Case was actually set to release the 96 series to replace the bigger 94 series 2wds in 86-87; these tractors would have had the 8.3L CDC/Cummins engine in them like the Magnums), change some of the styling, use their instrumentation, etc. Since Case was setup to build 94 series, they were going to continue making them for a few more years. However, they knew that the IH STS transmission was their future. Sad thing is, Case got lots of modern technology for a rather cheap price when they bought IH's ag line. When you think of how much $$$$ IH had invested in their manufacturing plants(not just Farmall Works, but many of their other facilities) in the late 70s, its no wonder why Case felt for years that they had darn near "stolen" IH's ag line.

As far as the production records shown, that shows what one of IH's biggest problems was-too much production. If you are not selling those 70,000 tractors per year at a profit, you won't be making them for long. I can remember our local IH dealer telling my Dad back in 1983-84 that IH figured they were losing $3-5000 on every 50 series sold the year before. You can't do that for long. You can thank IH's top brass(Archie McCardell and Warren Hayford) for putting IH in that position to begin with. Hayford came from the tin can industry-he thought the Farmall Works plant should be running 24/7 just like a tin can factory. That works if you can sell that production at a profit, which IH seemed to struggle with. Compound that with high inflation, high energy prices, a bad farm economy, and you can see why IH was in a bad position at that time

Actually, Case continued making the 18 & 2096 tractors up until 1991-92 to fill the gap between the biggest Maxxum and the smallest Magnum. The 96 series were eventually replaced by the bigger 5250 Maxxum in 1992, which had 112HP. The 94 series were dropped at the end of 1987 with the introduction of the Magnum tractor.

Oops, I didn't know they manufactured the 1896 and 2096 tractors for so long. I know production was transferred to Doncaster, UK in 1986 to make place for the Magnum in Racine, but I thought 1896 and 2096 were already dropped in 1989.

Archived