392 irrigation engine low oil pressure?????

HYTRAN

Well we started pumping water to the corn here in NE Kansas and one of my natural gas engines (IHC 392) has 25lb pressure at the Murphy guage.

I noticed this last season and took the engine to a reputable mechanic who rolled in new mains and rods and replaced the oil pump over the winter. He said the bearings didn't look that bad but replaced anyway. He was not able to run engine because of being disconnected from natural gas.

I was confident this would fix the low oil pressure 20-25lbs. I even replaced the guage but no help.

Question: Why can't I get better pressure, where am I losing it? Engine runs great, sounds great , good power, no leaks or drips and does not consume oil.

Likely cam bearings. The IH SV engines are noted for cam bearings not lasting as long as the rest of the engine. I have a 73 IH 1210 pickup with over 300,000 mi on it, oil pressure got real low on it like you describe. It finally knocked a tooth off the cam gear due to front cam bearing worn out. We pulled the engine but didn't take the heads off, put in new cam bearings, rods and mains, still doesn't burn any oil and the oil pressure is up like new, runs about a constant 40 psi now. You can pull the lifters out without pulling the intake or heads, the push rods holes are big enough for the lifters to come thru.

I agree with Kurt M. !!! We have been using the IH 345 for irrigation for about 25 years now and the first thing that goes is the cam bearings. We have replaced the cam bearings and the main bearings twice on the same engine and it runs great with no smoke or noise. This is a regular gas version and it has pumped a lot of water.

Kurt and Farmcat are right on about the cam bearings. The IH factory manual states that as long as you have 10 lbs of oil pressure at high idle it's within tolerence.

I appreciate all the replys. Engine appears to be maintaing 25lbs under load so I guess this is OK. What alarmed me was the fact on cold start up she has 45lbs then when warm back to 25lbs. Engine is pulling pump sucking Water out of ditch at 900gpm and also driving 15kw generator off front driveshaft powering Valley pivot with corner arm, so she has big responsibility!

Hytran, I would love to see that setup. As I'm sure you know pumping water is one of the hardest tasks an engine can do because it is constant load for long periods at a time. We run that 345 on a 500gpm splitcase pump to increase line pressure to run two 1 1/4 rain guns that are eight feet up in the air to get over our apple trees. We use a 1000 gpm pump at the pond running 8 inch mane line about 1700 feet and 50 feet in elevation to the second pump and branch out to two 4 inch lines and another 400 feet each. Its quite a sight when all up and running

Archived