This Is Serious Flooding Folks.

I wanted to get to Red Power since it's pretty close this year, but this flooding keeps us running. Had 5.2" Thursday night and 4.5" last night. Had water over the road in 2 directions yesterday and the water went down and back over again this morning. Good thing I'm close to a higher ground 4 way intersection. I had maybe 20 acres of corn under water yesterday, when the water went down it looked flat but may come back up. After last night not so sure. 

House basement is dry except some seeped in since the rain gutters can't keep up with this. 

Round bales of grass hay floating around and lodging in ditches.

Last 2 years we were pretty much in a drought and I commented to some guys it's better than a flood. Still feel that way. KIMG0863.thumb.JPG.6df47b22cd587c8debba84731731c39f.JPGKIMG0864.thumb.JPG.8c404cfb7df7af68a2a3cd56022f6307.JPGKIMG0865.thumb.JPG.57fc6b7160f138a64ca5ee606c22b7e5.JPGKIMG0866.thumb.JPG.f80215c25c98d47ff2d6a7782b8e6848.JPGKIMG0867_1.thumb.JPG.a678b268e5b014a0432dc5d966984aa9.JPG

• Sad 12

• FarmerFixEmUp changed the title to This Is Serious Flooding Folks.

We barely made it out of Spencer. Water is coming up fast. We had to drive through moving water and all other roads were flooded already best I could tell. Rescue crews were out with zodiac boats. It's bad. 

IMG_2274.jpeg

• Sad 6

Be careful everyone! I'll repost here:

Flood Warning
National Weather Service Sioux Falls SD
829 AM CDT Sat Jun 22 2024

IAC021-035-041-059-141-143-149-167-MNC063-105-SDC127-231445-
/O.EXT.KFSD.FA.W.0010.000000T0000Z-240623T1445Z/
/00000.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/
Buena Vista IA-Cherokee IA-Clay IA-Dickinson IA-O`Brien IA-
Osceola IA-Plymouth IA-Sioux IA-Jackson MN-Nobles MN-Union SD-
829 AM CDT Sat Jun 22 2024

...FLOOD WARNING NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 945 AM CDT SUNDAY...

* WHAT...Flooding caused by excessive rainfall continues.

* WHERE...Portions of northwest Iowa, including the following
  counties, Buena Vista, Cherokee, Clay, Dickinson, O`Brien,
  Osceola, Plymouth and Sioux, southwest Minnesota, including the
  following counties, Jackson and Nobles, and southeast South
  Dakota, including the following county, Union.

* WHEN...Until 945 AM CDT Sunday.

* IMPACTS...Flooding of rivers, creeks, streams, and other low-lying
  and flood-prone locations continues. Numerous roads remain closed
  due to flooding.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...
  - At 827 AM CDT, Emergency management reported flooding from
    heavy rain continues. Between 4 and 9 inches of rain have
    fallen.
  - Additional rainfall amounts up to 1 inch are possible in the
    warned area.
  - Some locations that will experience flooding include...
    Spencer In Clay County, Sioux Center, Orange City, Spirit
    Lake, Windom, Jackson In Jackson County, Hawarden, Milford,
    Mountain Lake, Lakefield, Hartley, Sanborn, Alton, Arnolds
    Park, Lake Park, Paullina, Bergen, Primghar, Okoboji and
    Heron Lake.
  - http://www.weather.gov/safety/flood

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Turn around, don`t drown when encountering flooded roads. Most flood
deaths occur in vehicles.

Be especially cautious at night when it is harder to recognize the
dangers of flooding.

Stay away or be swept away. River banks and culverts can become
unstable and unsafe.

&&

LAT...LON 4305 9649 4322 9538 4349 9539 4349 9545
      4394 9546 4402 9486 4350 9485 4350 9491
      4290 9491 4291 9653

$$

Kalin

Supposed to warm up into the '90s on Monday & possibly more rain, mid week. Everyone has my best!

Mike

49 minutes ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

I wanted to get to Red Power since it's pretty close this year, but this flooding keeps us running. Had 5.2" Thursday night and 4.5" last night. Had water over the road in 2 directions yesterday and the water went down and back over again this morning. Good thing I'm close to a higher ground 4 way intersection. I had maybe 20 acres of corn under water yesterday, when the water went down it looked flat but may come back up. After last night not so sure. 

House basement is dry except some seeped in since the rain gutters can't keep up with this. 

Round bales of grass hay floating around and lodging in ditches.

Last 2 years we were pretty much in a drought and I commented to some guys it's better than a flood. Still feel that way. KIMG0863.thumb.JPG.6df47b22cd587c8debba84731731c39f.JPGKIMG0864.thumb.JPG.8c404cfb7df7af68a2a3cd56022f6307.JPGKIMG0865.thumb.JPG.57fc6b7160f138a64ca5ee606c22b7e5.JPGKIMG0866.thumb.JPG.f80215c25c98d47ff2d6a7782b8e6848.JPGKIMG0867_1.thumb.JPG.a678b268e5b014a0432dc5d966984aa9.JPG

Back during the early 1970's a farmer in the next township over lost two tractors parked down by a stream.  The engine and transmission of each was full of muddy water.  If I had an inkling of bad weather coming I would get any equipment to top ground before I went to bed that night.  

• Like 4

One extreme always follows the other. That really stinks for these events that take massive amounts of work and planning to have them ruined by bad weather. I’m probably 5 1/2-6 hours south. The weather is nice here. All that water will be coming down the Missouri River to us. I wonder if it will flood the bottoms here? Probably. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

One extreme always follows the other. That really stinks for these events that take massive amounts of work and planning to have them ruined by bad weather. I’m probably 5 1/2-6 hours south. The weather is nice here. All that water will be coming down the Missouri River to us. I wonder if it will flood the bottoms here? Probably. 

Massive amount of water heading for the Missouri. Rock, Floyd, Big Sioux rivers all flooding at record or near record. All that hits the Missouri at Sioux City. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Above Sioux City, the James River dumps into the Mighty Mo at Yankton, SD. Mitchell, SD, had 11 inches of rain from Thursday AM through last night. Its right on the James River, so all that water is headed for Sioux City as well. I90 was closed yesterday between Mitchell and Mt. Vernon due to water over both directions.

All of eastern SD that is east and south of me is under a flood warning.

Stay safe, everyone!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

The sky was awfully dark to the W-NW when we left Spencer late yesterday afternoon, and now I know exactly how dark.  Going south through town then east on 18 we noticed the Little Sioux was running a lot higher already than it was when we came into town in the morning.  Good luck to all

Those poor bassturds, all I have to worry about is a blizzard, which you can overcome in a few days, an earthquake, or the Yellowstone caldera blowing. We only get 12" -14" moisture a year and part of that is snowpack. I guess that is the benefit of living higher on the water shed. Prayers to all.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

As bad as the flooding in IA is in and around Spencer up to today the show actually was really good and I think the folks that put it on did a good job.  I was on site Thursday and Friday and Friday was packed.   They did a good job parking is out of the low spots, the food vendors were on it, plenty of restrooms, they were clean grounds (no trash that I saw and restrooms aren't dirty), and a good variety of things were represented. My mother rented a mobility scooter and she didn't have any issues with that.  That being said, not a lot for kids to do, food although together the cattleman's building back by itself didn't make sense, didn't see any parades any day, and the schedules from what was listed in the show guide didn't match the events on the grounds. 

I thought they did a great job, even in dealing with the response to the flooding and the show needing to be halted early.  

• Like 6

This SE SD, Marion I believe.

Hopefully will drop down into the Missouri instead of going east

Snapchat-1447271664.thumb.jpg.4b47b93e5ee5e33ea755db9224e45543.jpg

My wife and I were at the old Super 8 in Spencer this morning, Saturday.

We had made it to the fair grounds, the back way, had to drive through a lot of water and got the golf cart and trailer.

When the power went out at the motel, a guy remembered a foot of water in the building a few years ago and water was up to the back door, we decided to leave.

We headed South on 71 but the water was over the bridge and to long and deep to ford.

Went east and south on county roads until he hit Humboldt Iowa.

Then went north on 169 to I90.

Drove most of the day, put on 400 miles for a normal 200 mile trip.

We made it home safe and sound.

We spent part of Thursday and all of Friday at Red Power.

It was a very nice show and the grounds are perfect.

I hope this bout with Mother Nature don't get Chapter #5 down.

You people done an excellent job and made the best of a nasty situation. "Thank You".

• Like 10
  • Thanks 3

US Highway 60 is currently closed just south of Alton.  Not sure how far south from Alton the closure extends.  There is water over the road in places. 

KIMG1570.thumb.JPG.74e00c0890fac0f8ac978196dc759b61.JPG

2 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

US Highway 60 is currently closed just south of Alton.  Not sure how far south from Alton the closure extends.  There is water over the road in places. 

At LeMars it's closed, I think this was by seney.