Had a problem today

Pete1468

I'm not converting!  Saw this on marketplace and it was close to home.  Money seemed good so I sent him a message, sorry you're third in line.  No problem, I said in next town away and can bring cash if others fall through.  That was yesterday afternoon, today at 2 he sent me a message, if your can bring cash and be here by 5 it's yours.  Got his address add he was closer then I thought.  Drove about 12 miles to his place and I drive it home.  Ran like a top the whole way home so I had to stick it on a dyno right away.  Little low on rpm but 53 HP so I was happy.  Dad grew up on green and switched when he got married.  Why anyone would think it's more comfortable then a 560 is beyond me.  I told dad let's keep it at his house and he didn't complain.  I did ask him to park it somewhere out of b the way in case it doesn't start.KIMG1557.thumb.JPG.d9c586e956382a10855ab54101fe6e10.JPGKIMG1558.thumb.JPG.48c59770ac2ca94fdb2ae890770d68a7.JPGKIMG1563.thumb.JPG.d9b94e93346ee4af241d9bfedd75ec9a.JPG

• Like 17

Pretty nice looking old 730. Is it electric start or pony? Always wanted a G like the one we used to have, but I've never found one I liked. The two cylinders had a bad rap around these parts for knocking u joints out of pto equipment. But as many bales as we put up with that G and a 24w baler, I don't believe that. I know this is a red tractor forum, but I wouldn't mind seeing the old girl in action sometime.

Mac

Pony start.  My son drove and and instantly said I like foot clutches better.

• Haha 6

My neighbor's had 2 of them when I was a kid in the late 60's early 70's. Both pulling 4 16" plows.  Then he bought a 1066 and a 6 bottom so they both went away. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pete1468 said:

Nice.  Neighbor has a standard 730.  The one I bought my 650 from.  If the clutch ever went out he would change his tune on that, at least for the 15 minutes it would take to replace it.  I think the pony start is “cooler” but if it ever goes out, change it over to electric start.  My 830 was.  

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, MacAR said:

Pretty nice looking old 730. Is it electric start or pony? Always wanted a G like the one we used to have, but I've never found one I liked. The two cylinders had a bad rap around these parts for knocking u joints out of pto equipment. But as many bales as we put up with that G and a 24w baler, I don't believe that. I know this is a red tractor forum, but I wouldn't mind seeing the old girl in action sometime.

Mac

I would think if there was ever a 2 cylinder that would be the hardest on a PTO it would be the G.  

• Like 1

I have pulled against one of those with a single front caster. Pretty formidable. Looks really good, congratulations! 

My dad had a 730 diesel electric start years ago. His had a Deere wide front and he had a set of duals for it. He said he didn’t like it, mostly because it was hard to start. He had it long enough to pull a brand new 7000 planter with it. I have no idea where it ended up. He sold it to a local guy, but he hasn’t had it for decades either. He kept his 720 gas, it’s still here. 

16 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

Nice.  Neighbor has a standard 730.  The one I bought my 650 from.  If the clutch ever went out he would change his tune on that, at least for the 15 minutes it would take to replace it.  I think the pony start is “cooler” but if it ever goes out, change it over to electric start.  My 830 was.  

His tune was just fine doing a clutch in my 656.  The 560 seat is ten times better too, and I'm not a huge fan of a 560.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete1468 said:

Same here, a man needs 3 arms to really run one!

57 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

I would think if there was ever a 2 cylinder that would be the hardest on a PTO it would be the G.  

What makes you say that? I'm genuinely curious, because all I ever did was cut and bale with the thing and it didn't seem to give any trouble. Well that and we ran a big belt driven hammer mill with it too. I can still hear the belt slapping as it spun up. We did almost everything else with the Super M, an F20 and a 3000 Ford, and I tried to spend all my time on the Red one's!

Mac

IMG_7441.jpeg

Total break down of all 730 production.  Not too bad production numbers for obsolete design on its last legs.  A bunch of those gas standard 730s were sold right north of me across the Canadian border.  And I mean some within 20 miles of me.  If I would have know that 30 years ago I would have went looking for one. 

12 minutes ago, MacAR said:

What makes you say that? I'm genuinely curious, because all I ever did was cut and bale with the thing and it didn't seem to give any trouble. Well that and we ran a big belt driven hammer mill with it too. I can still hear the belt slapping as it spun up. We did almost everything else with the Super M, an F20 and a 3000 Ford, and I tried to spend all my time on the Red one's!

Mac

Lower rpm engine making the impulses are bigger especially when you start lugging it down.  I'm not saying it's true.  I'm just guessing.  Say something like a G or 730 in the OP vs a 530.  

• Thanks 1

I want one sometime. 730D electric start. Have no real use for it but want to own one sometime.      There's a lot of things on that list though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

Lower rpm engine making the impulses are bigger especially when you start lugging it down.  I'm not saying it's true.  I'm just guessing.  Say something like a G or 730 in the OP vs a 530.  

A G is just violent

• Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

IMG_7441.jpeg

Total break down of all 730 production.  Not too bad production numbers for obsolete design on its last legs.  A bunch of those gas standard 730s were sold right north of me across the Canadian border.  And I mean some within 20 miles of me.  If I would have know that 30 years ago I would have went looking for one. 

You know why there's so many 2 cylinders at antique shows don't you?

Cause they made antiques 20 years longer then anyone else!

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 6

39 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

That makes sense, when you put it that way. Fast is smooth, slow is, well, this:

32 minutes ago, F-301066460puller said:

A G is just violent

I can agree! The way that old flat belt used to slap when it'd start lugging scared 12 year old me. I just new it was gonna take my head off!

Mac

2 minutes ago, MacAR said:

That makes sense, when you put it that way. Fast is smooth, slow is, well, this:

I can agree! The way that old flat belt used to slap when it'd start lugging scared 12 year old me. I just new it was gonna take my head off!

Mac

The 30 series had the option of the 1,000 rpm PTO.  That would have helped take the "jolt" out too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MacAR said:

Same here, a man needs 3 arms to really run one!

Mac

For years we ran the grain dryer with the A JD. We usually put the 4020 on it for the longer periods. When we got a 60 jd we ran it a bit on the dryer but it would slap the drive  v belt to circulating auger like you mention the flat belt. The A didn’t do it as bad.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Big Bud guy said:

IMG_7441.jpeg

Suprising in the row crop diesel they made more electric start that pony motor it appears.

7 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Suprising in the row crop diesel they made more electric start that pony motor it appears.

I don't know what to make of that.  The ratio for the 830s was similar to the 730 standards roughly 50/50.  I'm just guessing row crops are sold all over the US but the standards are sold mostly in the northern half of the country and Canada were its cooler?????

Now Peter, just how did you arrive at 53 horsepower produced on your generometer??

The Vermont Sparkatrician and his Uncle Markus are just aching to know if you measured the Dual Phase Input of the Gigawattage on the field coil of the output of your generometer…….

• Haha 5