Can somebody explain to me how a light bulb gets unscrewed?

Went to turn on the kitchen light yesterday. Nothing.

It's a dual-bulb ceiling fixture with a frosted glass globe. I have two 100W-equivalent LEDs in it. The odds of both bulbs going bad simultaneously are slim to none, so my mind went straight to wiring problems.

Well, one bulb was burned out. The other one was UNSCREWED. I mean, unscrewed so far it was about to fall out of the socket. Screwed it back in and it lit right up.

No foot traffic overhead to shake it loose. Nobody's been upstairs in the house in over a year, and besides, the attic is above the kitchen and nobody's been in there in almost a decade. Just me and the dog downstairs. 

Heating and cooling? The two LEDs run about 28W total, a mere fraction of the two 60W incandescent bulbs that the fixture is designed for. 

Some frequency is messing with the natural resonance of the bulb & causing it to slowly work it's way out.

Could have been a platoon of mice marching through your attic. Could have been earth borne frequencies.

Mike

• Haha 1

Matt,

This phenomenon has occurred due to the amplitude of the resonance of the Torque Amplifier in your 1586.

My suggestion to you is to locate a suitable 6030 to replace it and I will provide the trucking and disposal of the offending 1586 for you.

In other words, I have not got a clue what caused the one bulb to unscrew, but I am guessing that you had some light up until the other bulb failed.

• Haha 8

Probably the switch-mode power supply used to reduce the mains voltage to the LED voltage is running at a frequency low enough to cause the transformer to mechanically vibrate enough to shake it loose. I have found many long term LED replacements loose in their sockets.  Just another failure process for poorly designed hardware.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

Every time my wife finds something like this, I get to hear about how our house is possessed. 

Aliens, hiding in the valance band.

• Haha 4

Either thermal cycling or the vibration from 60 hz. 

If you figure it out we may also understand why heat lamps always get so stupid tight in the socket that they can never be removed with destructive means. 

Turning vibration into rotational movement. Growing up around Appalachia, I've seen these things ever since I was a child. I never really made the connection between the toy and real life things falling apart seemingly on their own until now.

• Like 2

I have no earthly idea how it could've happened. I'm also extremely surprised no one has suggested a liberal dose of red Loc-tite to keep it from happening again!

Mac

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

Every time my wife finds something like this, I get to hear about how our house is possessed. 

Better to be possessed than repossessed?

• Like 1

How many politicians does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Oh wait you're talking about unscrewing..........................nevermind

😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

How many people from Toronto does it take to screw in a light bulb?

One holding it while the World revolves around them😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just a thought, 60 cycle vibrations are a possibility, incandescent lamp screw bases are steel or aluminum usually, they have some friction against the aluminum screw shell and wouldn’t easily turn. Modern LED and Fluorescent have a slippery coating, chrome, zinc, whatever, that serves to reduce the friction on the threads. The “hot” spring tab is always pushing out, with each heat/cool cycle it could be working its way out a little. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, int 504 said:

Gremlins

You got em in the kitchen----------I got a whole SHOP FULL 0f the darn things!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

13 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

Be sure to locktite the new bulbs to prevent this from happening again. 

Be certain to use RED Loctire, applying it liberally (copiously), using AT LEAST one bottle per bulb socket!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

You know how many Kalifornians it takes to screw in a light bulb? No one is sure because it is a well known fact they are too busy screwing in hot tubs.

• Haha 2

Remind me how many flies does it take to screw in a light bulb 

2 but how do they get In one.

Sorry bj I had to

• Haha 1

On 6/18/2024 at 8:11 AM, 1586 Jeff said:

Be certain to use RED Loctire, applying it liberally (copiously), using AT LEAST one bottle per bulb socket!!!

I prefer to use green sleeve retainer Loctite. Takes 600 degrees F to soften it.