560 Farmall with factory turbocharger

Hydro70

9 hours ago, Farming Enthusiast said:

I don't have to sit in mine or my dad's equipment all day every day and they don't have the creature comforts of newer stuff but it's a helluva lot more reliable. Two weeks ago at work, we had a JD 165 6R lock up because it needed a computer update. It took the tech 3 days to get there and it supposedly took 8 hours for this update to complete

These kinds of stories are around and for all brands and for other industries such as automotive.  The BTO working the farm to the south of me had the regional mega Case shop going over his Quad Track in the field just a few days ago.  The dealer pickup was in and out of there for a couple of days.  Anyways, I never saw a line of farm equipment that did not have a parts department and repair shop at a given dealership.

On 6/19/2024 at 9:38 AM, Lars (midessa) said:

Next door neighbor years ago(late ‘60’s), had a pto driven MC corn dryer that they used a 560D. 

When grain dryers first hit this area, several were PTO-powered.  Mots fellow set up that way would move the dryer from farm to farm.

One fellow had an old Minny Mo LP tractor to run the dryer,  he would move it and the dryer to the next location then bring the 1000-gallon LP tank wagon and hook up both the dryer and the tractor and he was good to go.

1 minute ago, Mark (EC,IN) said:

When grain dryers first hit this area, several were PTO-powered.  Mots fellow set up that way would move the dryer from farm to farm.

One fellow had an old Minny Mo LP tractor to run the dryer,  he would move it and the dryer to the next location then bring the 1000-gallon LP tank wagon and hook up both the dryer and the tractor and he was good to go.

Interesting.  The Moline worked out well then?

41 minutes ago, 766 Man said:

Interesting.  The Moline worked out well then?

Yes,  any make LP gas tractor would have worked as well,  he just did not have to haul fuel like a gas or diesel-fired tractor would have required.

13 hours ago, Farming Enthusiast said:

I'm not saying there isn't criticism of JD on here. I'm saying that comments on IHs shortcomings almost seam acceptable where any flaws that might be pointed out about JD doesn't go without a three day pissing match. Case in point the 560. My family had a gas and diesel. Both were hooked to 4-16" IH plows (which is plenty of plow for that size of tractor) and gave great service. Never had to replace TAs or final drive bearings or anything. When they traded them in it was to move up in size not because they were unreliable . And yet it's widely accepted including on here they were the reason IH went out of business because they were junk. Yet if I said something bad about a 5020 I'd find myself in a pissing match like I said before. 

What on earth are you talking about? I'm still drying out from the last pissing match over the 86 series cabs. I'm constantly drenched in Hy-Tran and Low Ash from pissing matches over those.

You don't criticize an 86 series cab. You're better off calling a man's daughter the c-word.

...and for the record, we did have a 560 from the late 1970s until 1996 when it was traded in on a brand new 5220. It had rear end problems, and we never used it hard. It never pulled a plow or any sort of tillage equipment. Hauled wagons, ran the blower, raked hay, and was the loader tractor for a few years.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I would say having the 560 be the flagship of IH’s row crop tractor line in 1963 was much more of a problem than bearing problems were in 1958. @Drysleeves comments about r & d are likely to blame for this. 

I think that is true.  JD engineers and others that were in know were figuratively high fiving each other when the 560 first appeared in 58’.  That’s fact.  The bearing issue was resolved before the 4010 hit the market and I think up to a full year or more so there was no “myth” propagated to save the 4010.   there was time for IH to recover and they would have if JD had kept the 730 in production. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 766 Man said:

Guys like myself have always said that IH fell behind because the competition started to decidedly pull ahead.  I've never put much stock in the transmission issue being the beginning of the death of IH.  As said earlier by myself the bearing issue was resolved by mid-1959 so any 560 made from that point on most likely would have no issue.  There are IH guys including ones on this site who do feel that the 560 transmission issue irreparably harmed IH.  

It was death by a thousand cuts.  

4 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

It was death by a thousand cuts.  

It was and a fair amount can't be accounted for via statistics.  Still IH might have survived to be the dominant force in a merger if not for the 1979 strike, the 1980 grain embargo, and the early 1980's recession (heavy trucks).  

2 hours ago, Mark (EC,IN) said:

There is a guy here a few miles from me that runs his GT Pto dryer with a Oliver 770 LP every fall. 

3 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

What on earth are you talking about? I'm still drying out from the last pissing match over the 86 series cabs. I'm constantly drenched in Hy-Tran and Low Ash from pissing matches over those.

You don't criticize an 86 series cab. You're better off calling a man's daughter the c-word.

...and for the record, we did have a 560 from the late 1970s until 1996 when it was traded in on a brand new 5220. It had rear end problems, and we never used it hard. It never pulled a plow or any sort of tillage equipment. Hauled wagons, ran the blower, raked hay, and was the loader tractor for a few years.

Try going on a JD forum and criticize a sound guard cab and see how long it takes for things to get personal. I guarantee it'll be alot worse than what you experienced here

8 minutes ago, Farming Enthusiast said:

Try going on a JD forum and criticize a sound guard cab and see how long it takes for things to get personal. I guarantee it'll be alot worse than what you experienced here

Where is there such a forum?  The only JD sites I see is for guys running brand new JD farm equipment and the country estate crowd running a compact tractor.  Then there are the L & G boards.  Yesterday's Tractors does have a JD board but like a lot of things there it does not have a whole lot of depth to it.  Maybe the format upgrade will bring more people in.  As it stands this board has much more depth than the IH board over on YT.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 766 Man said:

Where is there such a forum?  The only JD sites I see is for guys running brand new JD farm equipment and the country estate crowd running a compact tractor.  Then there are the L & G boards.  Yesterday's Tractors does have a JD board but like a lot of things there it does not have a whole lot of depth to it.  Maybe the format upgrade will bring more people in.  As it stands this board has much more depth than the IH board over on YT.  

I don't waste my time looking for JD forums but I got called a cry baby on Heritage Iron  by some disgruntled old timer who was trashing the T/A and I defended it. And he was definitely a JD guy 

Just now, Matt Kirsch said:

The secondhand 20 year old tractor with unknown service records (560 )had rear-end issues. I think that could be any tractor of any make

The 560 0n the dryer needing rebuilding every year begs a few questions:how many  hours on original engine when it was "rebuilt"? Did it get new pistons and sleeves at that time? Did it only get re-ringed every year. IMHO if it didn't get new pistons and sleeves as an oil burner they wasted their time 

And like Dr mentioned oil and service intervals 

I don't have a 560 but do have a 656 d  and I passed on one last year. To  say it was as bad as some say is not very accurate and there's much worse tractors out there

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hillman said:

The secondhand tractor with unlnown service records 560 hand rear-end issues. I think that could be anybtractor of any make

The 560 0n the dryer needing rebuilding every year begs a few questions:how many  hours on original engine when it was "rebuilt"? Did it get new sleeves at that time? Did it only get re-ringed every year. IMHO if it didn't get new sleeves as an oil burner they've tested wasting their time 

And like Dr mentioned oil and service intervals 

Yeah, but like I attempted to talk about yesterday the oil does not have to be name brand from the dealer.  Plenty of good Mobil, Shell, and other products out there.  Now whether somebody cuts corners in a rebuild is a different matter entirely.  I would also question the parts quality anymore regardless of being JD, CNH, AGCO, or other.  But regarding lubricants the starting point should be the manual to know the API class needed.  My 6620 combine manual for the hydro says Ford ATF type F is an acceptable  substitute for JD low viscosity HyGard and that information has helped in a pinch. 

Atf is a high quality oil and a very good one for hydrostatic transmissions if recommended by the manufacturer 

I am not there to debate oil brands as much as viscosity in that example 

Service also includes simple things as blowing the radiator out etc

52 minutes ago, 766 Man said:

Yeah, but like I attempted to talk about yesterday the oil does not have to be name brand from the dealer.  Plenty of good Mobil, Shell, and other products out there.  Now whether somebody cuts corners in a rebuild is a different matter entirely.  I would also question the parts quality anymore regardless of being JD, CNH, AGCO, or other.  But regarding lubricants the starting point should be the manual to know the API class needed.  My 6620 combine manual for the hydro says Ford ATF type F is an acceptable  substitute for JD low viscosity HyGard and that information has helped in a pinch. 

The ford bidirectional 276 and 9030 specify atf oil in hydro system. They are the same system a 1420 IH combine uses. The hydro motor is the same as a 1480/ 1680 but the pump is physically smaller uses the same shaft seal though. The hydraulic pump is an Eaton closed center using the same oil as the hydro from a common tank. The  older versatile 400 swather spec was 10 weight non detergent motor oil in hydro and hydraulic system

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, hillman said:

Atf is a high quality oil and a very good one for hydrostatic transmissions if recommended by the manufacturer 

I am not there to debate oil brands as much as viscosity in that example 

Service also includes simple things as blowing the radiator out etc

Yeah, but the issue was raised in terms of buying the manufacturer's oil whether it be Case IH, JD, or other.  Do you think that an equipment owner always needs to buy the manufacturer's oil for satisfactory service?

3 hours ago, Farmall Doctor said:

I know farmers that could ruin an anvil with a rubber mallet too. The 560D is still legendary here for work like running dryers and silo blowers. Maybe we didn't have a hoard of cheap oil salesmen in Ontario during all those years selling cheap oil...   when I go on service calls to the old farms that were running IH equipment, I still see empty cans or buckets of IH branded lubricants and filters. They didn't have the modern mentality of "screw IH, screw the dealer! I'm buying the cheapest oils I can find."  

It's odd that you guys go out of your way to find any fault you can with IH, but don't dare speak a harsh word against the green with yellow wheels crew.... 

Just now, 766 Man said:

Yeah, but the issue was raised in terms of buying the manufacturer's oil whether it be Case IH, JD, or other.  Do you think that an equipment owner always needs to buy the manufacturer's oil for satisfactory service?

I didn't say that and actually this time FD was talking about cheapest oil  which is really 1/2 of what I was going to say but I was trying to avoid a big oil debate but here we are🙃

I will say one thing on the oil topic and drop it.

If you use the best oil available you will get the best service at a minimum

If you use a poor oil you will get the best service if you are lucky most likely not

1 minute ago, hillman said:

I didn't say that and actually this time FD was talking about cheapest oil  which is really 1/2 of what I was saying but I was trying to avoid a big oil debate but here we are🙃

I will say one thing on the oil topic and drop it.

If you use a poor oil you will get the best service if you are lucky most likely not

Yes, I know who said what.  I asked your opinion and you replied.  Thank you.  I try to prevail upon those who have had experience in the shop and in the field such as yourself.  No bear trap waiting to spring on your feet in a reply.  Once again.  Thank you.  

My head is full of cobwebs . Theres a 100 guys on here more up to date than me and 100 more was swinging wrenches when I was a kid

6 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

And for the record I never said there weren't any rear end problems. What I am saying is it the rear end problems may be a little overblown. By the coverage it gets you'd swear they all had issues but it as corrected early on

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 766 Man said:

Yes, I know who said what.  I asked your opinion and you replied.  Thank you.  I try to prevail upon those who have had experience in the shop and in the field 

You do know what I do for a living, right? For 30 years. Professionally. Successfully. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Farmall Doctor said:

You do know what I do for a living, right? For 30 years. Professionally. Successfully. 

That does not make me a mind reader.  Some mechanics push for the manufacturer's oil and others will recommend something on the order of Mobil or Shell.  Most people get into trouble when they fail to read manuals and do not understand the importance of the API classification.  The area CaseIH dealer will have more than the CaseIH oil on hand to choose from.  So going to the dealer will not always limit the choice to one product.  There will always be the knuckleheads on both sides of the counter who think motor oil is motor oil (to borrow from a TV commercial for a well known Pennsylvania based oil company).

16 hours ago, hillman said:

I wish I could say that is always the rule.  

The problem is there is so much chemistry in these oils that it doesn’t always work that way as I found out with Hytran Ultraction and my legacy CIH tractors.