560 Farmall with factory turbocharger

Hydro70

7 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

IH didn't have glow plugs in 1955.  

Give me a MTA over ANYTHING made by JD until they came with Syncrogrind and Powers**t.The hand clutch,stop,hunt and shift gear pattern was and is a joke.Maybe for you guys out west or way down south where you put it in gear drive on a flat field for a mile before you turn around. If you had hills,small fields,contour strips and roaded a lot on hills the alure of a two banger JD would leave in a second. 

• Like 4

14 hours ago, lorenzo said:

Those were a ”dealer” installed option. 

Judging by that ultra rare  air cleaner that particular tractor has an IH turbo and not an M and W version.

Been told they never left the factory that way. 

Warms my heart to see that someone else besides me has a small fortune in a 560😊

It's just a model thing. I don't currently have a 560 but if a nice diesel were to pop up??? I have several tractors that have more $$$$ invested than they would ever return on sale. Probably most of us here do, maybe I'm wrong? I'm getting to have a pretty good jag invested in an 856! Don't care, knew it wasn't going to be a bargain basement thing when I bought it. It will be made into the machine I want in time! Pretty good amounts invested in my WD 45's too. And, they don't even have nice paint, perfectly happy with them.

My thinking is this; When I die, several people are going to buy some nice machines that work. Not show queens but good reliable tractors.

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Jacka said:

Give me a MTA over ANYTHING made by JD until they came with Syncrogrind and Powers**t.The hand clutch,stop,hunt and shift gear pattern was and is a joke.Maybe for you guys out west or way down south where you put it in gear drive on a flat field for a mile before you turn around. If you had hills,small fields,contour strips and roaded a lot on hills the alure of a two banger JD would leave in a second. 

So someone admit JD might have had a better transmission in the 60s.  You know what’s a joke.  IH guys poking fun at hand clutches when IH made them too and offered them as an option after JD dropped the 2 cylinders.  My 650 has a hand clutch.  How about the crawlers like our TD-14A?  Those were hand clutches.  Lot of dozer work and farming was done with hand clutch IH dozers in MT.   Dams, reservoirs, roads, corral cleaning and such.  My great uncle borrowed our 14A one year to dig a basement out for his new house.  His TD-18a didn’t have a blade.  Lots of going back/forth just like loader work but with a hand clutch.

We have hills too that was farmed with a W-9, WD-9, and then hand clutch 830.  Maybe that’s why great grandpa bought a 4020 powershift.  But then again only here on red power I read you can’t shift them under load.  

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Chester5732 said:

What I find amazing is that someone would join an IH forum just to bash them and say how great the green mold stuff is.  

I've said it a couple times already but the guy is a troll and the guys on here who have the knowledge to put him in his place won't stoop to his level so they just ignore him. Im not old enough to have lived it so I try to gather the info on these topics as much as I can when I have time. When I first started looking into tractor history on the internet he's constantly in conversations taking every opportunity possible to take a jab at IH. He has the knowledge to be a master at his craft to the point of almost being respectable but he still is what he is because he comes on here for the most part just to piss people off. If he wasn't he'd be on a JD forum. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

Hahahah.  Maybe in a parallel universe. 

9 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

I happen to have a different perspective on this matter given a rather unique generational employment at International Harvester. Uncle was there when the product line was introduced in 1958 and thus dealt directly with the fallout from the issues that did not cause widespread failures but did get overblown when the company initiated a recall campaign. The 4010 problems were likely no more common than what was truly going on with the 560 but since Deere hid in the woods (quite literally in at least once instance) to rectify their growing pains hearsay became the only source. Customers were happy to comply since many of them had traded their less capable 560 for a 4010 so if their unit had issues the power and operator comfort advantage coupled with Johnny on the Spot updates caused no backlash about Deere's clandestine program. If Hinsdale or upper management were the least bit concerned about failures then a factory authorized 560 hair dryer / air cleaner update would never have been in a company parts circular as a gap filler ahead of the 7/806 product line. The whole reason we're engaged in this particular thread is because of the 560 hair dryer that only happened because management chose to delay refinement of a 1950 sliding gear prototype which became the 7/806 to direct resources to Unicorn production. The real problem with the 4/560 tractors wasn't mechanical failure but it was a power and comfort deficit. My uncle who again was there believed strongly this happened in part due to the disconnect involved with IH upper management's location on Michigan Avenue. Deere chose to locate their executive operation in farm country where "the boys in fancy suits had to drive by tractors in the field" (that's a direct quote) instead of fixating on such abstractions as the Oak Brook Polo Club, where Brooks McCormick spent much of his time. Now that would be a parallel universe away from the point of focus.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Farming Enthusiast said:

I've said it a couple times already but the guy is a troll and the guys on here who have the knowledge to put him in his place won't stoop to his level so they just ignore him. Im not old enough to have lived it so I try to gather the info on these topics as much as I can when I have time. When I first started looking into tractor history on the internet he's constantly in conversations taking every opportunity possible to take a jab at IH. He has the knowledge to be a master at his craft to the point of almost being respectable but he still is what he is because he comes on here for the most part just to piss people off. If he wasn't he'd be on a JD forum. 

But you’re letting it get to you.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chester5732 said:

What I find amazing is that someone would join an IH forum just to bash them and say how great the green mold stuff is.  

I agree, tell us which red ones you do like Bud. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

.  You know what’s a joke.  IH guys poking fun at hand clutches when IH made them too and offered them as an option after JD dropped the 2 cylinders.  My 650 has a hand clutch.   

Honestly I have never seen that on here. Some ppl don't like a hand clutch but they aren't exactly a revolutionary design. A dry clutch with an over center pressure plate . Whats the punchline?

2 hours ago, Chester5732 said:

He thinks we need schooling , bunch a tards. 😬

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, FarmerFixEmUp said:

I agree, tell us which red ones you do like Bud. 

IH 1256 (6th one made) 650, W-9, WK-40, 15-30, 240U, not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4 Farmall Ms, Farmall Super AV, 76’ Loadstar, 715 combine, 151 combine, TD-14 crawler which netted me $80K a few years ago (go look the video/post up in the crawler section), S-100 pu with a hoist in the box that was a county fair display, numerous IH implements like fully functional threshing machine and grain binder, cream separator, plows including horse drawn, mowers, brochures.   

I bet that’s more the half the guys on here.  So what do you have?  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

IH 1256 (6th one made) 650, W-9, WK-40, 15-30, 240U, not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4 Farmall Ms, Farmall Super AV, 76’ Loadstar, 715 combine, 151 combine, TD-14 crawler which netted me $80K a few years ago (go look the video/post up in the crawler section), S-100 pu with a hoist in the box that was a county fair display, numerous IH implements like fully functional threshing machine and grain binder, cream separator, plows including horse drawn, mowers, brochures.   

I bet that’s more the half the guys on here.  So what do you have?  

It's on the bottom of every post I make, probably all junk to you, but works for me. 

Hydro70, sorry if we turned your topic into a pissing match. Done posting on this one. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

So someone admit JD might have had a better transmission in the 60s.  You know what’s a joke.  IH guys poking fun at hand clutches when IH made them too and offered them as an option after JD dropped the 2 cylinders.  My 650 has a hand clutch.  How about the crawlers like our TD-14A?  Those were hand clutches.  Lot of dozer work and farming was done with hand clutch IH dozers in MT.   Dams, reservoirs, roads, corral cleaning and such.  My great uncle borrowed our 14A one year to dig a basement out for his new house.  His TD-18a didn’t have a blade.  Lots of going back/forth just like loader work but with a hand clutch.

We have hills too that was farmed with a W-9, WD-9, and then hand clutch 830.  Maybe that’s why great grandpa bought a 4020 powershift.  But then again only here on red power I read you can’t shift them under load.  

Shifted under LOAD ALL THE TIME,ITs CALLED A TA..Full pull down to nothing, pull back the TA and keep motoring. And before you say it ,it all my years with my dad until now in my 60's we had one tractor that needed a TA. That was a 656 that pulled a 710 automatic 4/16s day in and out on 400 acres of spring time plowing. Took forever but it did it.Never a TA in any other of our multiple IH's.I got a my one owner '74 1066 with original clutch, TA,and motor.

Tell me how you Shift a synchro-grind without stopping.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jacka said:

This was the post Big Bud was referring to.  Here we have IH tillage, IH hay and forage, IH planting and cultivating as well as a couple of IH tractors but I have been told over  and over again that I am not an IH guy.  Over a couple dozen pieces on a farm that is not loaded with a few dozen tractors.  Most times it boils down because we never had a Super M or 1066 or some other prized muscle tractor.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hillman said:

Honestly I have never seen that on here. Some ppl don't like a hand clutch but they aren't exactly a revolutionary design. A dry clutch with an over center pressure plate . Whats the punchline?

You tell me.  Honestly I don’t know why IH thought they had to make a hand clutch an option on the later W series when it wasn’t on the earlier wheat land tractors going back to the 20s if I’m not mistaken.  

People can bash a 2 cylinder because of the hand clutch which is fine.  But then when I point out IH made a lot of tractors too with hand clutches, so then are they junk?  Then I get nothing but silence like you are dumbfounded that IH would even make such thing.  I’d say at least half of the W9 series had hand clutches around here from my observations. They are not rare.  My W-9 has the foot clutch but my newer 650 has a hand clutch.  I can show you a 660 with a hand clutch. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jacka said:

Shifted under LOAD ALL THE TIME,ITs CALLED A TA..Full pull down to nothing, pull back the TA and keep motoring. And before you say it ,it all my years with my dad until now in my 60's we had one tractor that needed a TA. That was a 656 that pulled a 710 automatic 4/16s day in and out on 400 acres of spring time plowing. Took forever but it did it.Never a TA in any other of our multiple IH's.I got a my one owner '74 1066 with original clutch, TA,and motor.

Tell me how you Shift a synchro-grind without stopping.

Never said anything about a TA

I was never aware of 560 final drive problems until I heard about it on the internet.

Interesting 560 story.  There were very few 560s in my neighborhood but there was one that I know of.  The owner used it to grind hog feed back in the day.  The PTO drivetrain must be pretty well built on those tractors as for a time he had to have had the fuel delivery adjustment totally maxed out.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

Never said anything about a TA

You said you can't shift them under load,that means change gears,with the TA that is essentially shifting under load.You JD guys just can't admit IH was years ahead of JD.If it wasn't that IH was so big,spread out under bigger umbrella they still be here under IH.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jacka said:

If it wasn't that IH was so big,spread out under bigger umbrella they still be here under IH.

I used to think that until Navistar failed too. I think the ending to the story was already written long before it became reality. 

9 minutes ago, Jacka said:

You said you can't shift them under load,that means change gears,with the TA that is essentially shifting under load.You JD guys just can't admit IH was years ahead of JD.If it wasn't that IH was so big,spread out under bigger umbrella they still be here under IH.

I was referring to the JD powershift.  READ MY POST AGAIN!!  You are so quick to jump on me you cant accurately read and comprehend my posts. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Gearclash said:

I was never aware of 560 final drive problems until I heard about it on the internet.

I was never aware of the 560 debacle either until I read about it in a IH book authored by an IH guy who I think is on this website.  Sure as heck was no myth according to him.  

4 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

Here it is again for you.  Don’t see anywhere in there were I mentioned the TA. 

1 hour ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

I used to think that until Navistar failed too. I think the ending to the story was already written long before it became reality. 

It was in terms of spinning off the ag division and concentrating on over the road trucks.  The fight was going on amongst management and the stockholders way back in the 1960's.  Navistar was a dream come true for a certain segment of management and stockholders.  The biggest problem with IH was it got huge early in the 20th Century while the US was the dominant economy in the world and the market for farm equipment looked endless.  When farm numbers started declining in the 1960's the North American farm equipment industry did not need all the capacity prior to 1960 and the least prepared were pushed towards the exit.  When imports from companies such as Fiat and Komatsu started showing up in the 1970's that put even more pressure on North American manufacturers.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Big Bud guy said:

You tell me.  Honestly I don’t know why IH thought they had to make a hand clutch an option on the later W series when it wasn’t on the earlier wheat land tractors going back to the 20s if I’m not mistaken.  

People can bash a 2 cylinder because of the hand clutch which is fine.  But then when I point out IH made a lot of tractors too with hand clutches so are they junk?  Then I get nothing but silence like you are dumbfounded that IH would even make such thing.  I’d say at least half of the W9 series had hand clutches around here from my observations. They are not rare.  My W-9 has the foot clutch but my newer 650 has a hand clutch.  I can show you a 660 with a hand clutch. 

I think you are mistaken about the bashing of 2 lungers - it has nothing to do with the hand clutch....nothing  Whether IH offered a hand clutch or not is of no importance to anyone on here IMHO. If no one wanted them they had the option to buy a tractor with a foot clutch with minimal parts to design or change on the assembly line  . Pretty straight forward to me. 

I haven't witnessed the claim you have made about the  putt bang bashing due to a hand clutch. I would read a few threads if you can find them .👌👍

• Like 1