Anyone here ever deal with Slugs in a soybean stand.

Just as the title says. Anyone ever deal with slugs eating your soybean stand ?

We have 2 fields that have it bad and a smatering in a couple of others. Tried to replant as we were told they were towards the end of there cycle and wouldn't be quite as bad. That was the wrong answer. 

They are just as bad eating the new seeding of. You can move trash and in places find 4 to 8 slugs in a given area you look. Its a problem in select areas all over this area. We aren't the only ones dealing with it. 

Anyone have any ideas how to get this under control? Or these fields just screwed. It like Army worm and it going to expand into the higher areas? Or just stay down in the lower areas? Stand is hard to look at in these fields. Ask around here and no one really has any idea what to do. 

Hasn't affected corn one iota though. 

20240613_141812.jpg

20240613_142040.jpg

20240613_142042.jpg

20240613_142046.jpg

20240613_142050.jpg

20240613_142053.jpg

20240613_143624.jpg

Saw some fields sprayed for them here years ago with Warrior. Wet field conditions at planting where seed slit did not close all the way. Ground was wet and almost sour. 

We sprayed a lot of Warrior years ago. We used it for grasshoppers almost exclusively. I have no idea what it would do to slugs, but it was a very good product. I have been using a generic called Ravage for a long time now. It is mean stuff. 

We are fighting them bad this year as are many others across the state. Deadline MP is what you need. About only thing that works on them. Boss just drove 13 hours each wayvto get some. Every supplier is out in this state. Had to go to Ohio to get some. We replanted 90 acres and they are cleaning those off now. 
Warrior will not touch them. Some guys spray 5gal UAN with 5 gal water after midnight for 3 nights in a row and get some control. 
Sluggo is another bait but it kills earthworms too so I would not recommend it. 

Reichow this is not the way we want to hear from you. 

Been a while.

Call Mike Staton, your local MSU soybean expert. 

E mail me if ya need his cell number. 

I have no answers, wet soil and damp fodder must be in play? 

What to do, no clue.

No Till Farmer Magazine has a current nation wide survey about this problem and what the growers have been trying to combat the issue. 

Ted

Spread ams before you plant, that's supposed to help since it's a salt and that keeps slugs away.  I'm also following the no till farmer survey.  I don't know how to help once it happens though. 

My friends where I grew up in south central PA battle them almost every year it seems. This year is especially bad. I’m in South D, and I haven’t had to deal with them yet. Maybe it’s just too stinkin cold for them up here in the winter?!?! 

My brother has had them on and off for a number of years. First time it was one little field. I’m not sure what he uses but a granular product very low rate. That first time he went out with a hand held lawn spreader. He scouts pretty well but must have been late scouting this year, dad said they took half the stand in one field. He had the 3 point spreader on the 856 the other day hitting three fields he said. If I get a chance I’ll ask what they use but don’t wait on me if you got a decent extension agent around there call them. 

Never had slugs. I had true Army worms eat 6 acres corn in 2 days several years back. Permethrin stopped them dead in their tracks.

Seems to me Grandma used to put out vinegar for slugs in her flowers? Might be wrong. Not sure spraying it would do anything with all the trash.

1 hour ago, jass1660 said:

Vinegar will kill the crop, they are selling a vinegar concoction as a weed killer at the home stores now, all natural….

Burndown ahead of planting?

Slugs are common in Napa Valley Ca. I tried to control them for years, finally gave up on whatever they liked and stopped growing it.

Slugs are the only thing I know of that love to eat a ripe tomato from the inside out.

BUT I believe SKUNKS will feed on slugs, not much of a solution.

Try UC Davis, they should have lot's of programs for slug control in Ca.
Good luck!

3 hours ago, oleman said:

Slugs are common in Napa Valley Ca. I tried to control them for years, finally gave up on whatever they liked and stopped growing it.

Slugs are the only thing I know of that love to eat a ripe tomato from the inside out.

BUT I believe SKUNKS will feed on slugs, not much of a solution.

Try UC Davis, they should have lot's of programs for slug control in Ca.
Good luck!

Skunks & coons both like slugs. They shred up the lawn but good to get them all, too.

Mike

Remember reading, years ago, that beer would get rid of slugs. Guess fill the sprayer with Blatz & go to town?

Mike

• Haha 2

On 6/13/2024 at 4:37 PM, Reichow7120 said:

Just as the title says. Anyone ever deal with slugs eating your soybean stand ?

We have 2 fields that have it bad and a smatering in a couple of others. Tried to replant as we were told they were towards the end of there cycle and wouldn't be quite as bad. That was the wrong answer. 

They are just as bad eating the new seeding of. You can move trash and in places find 4 to 8 slugs in a given area you look. Its a problem in select areas all over this area. We aren't the only ones dealing with it. 

Anyone have any ideas how to get this under control? Or these fields just screwed. It like Army worm and it going to expand into the higher areas? Or just stay down in the lower areas? Stand is hard to look at in these fields. Ask around here and no one really has any idea what to do. 

Hasn't affected corn one iota though. 

20240613_141812.jpg

20240613_142040.jpg

20240613_142042.jpg

20240613_142046.jpg

20240613_142050.jpg

20240613_142053.jpg

20240613_143624.jpg

I didn’t get a chance to talk directly to my brother but from the shop floor looks like he has a cocktail. 

9D1AD525-6B37-4DF2-9D30-D1ABB5ADD0A7.jpeg

EC4FB3F9-D268-43BA-970B-DC175CAFA475.jpeg

0F941702-7859-451F-8000-DD1FF8799503.jpeg

50179F9B-2622-4093-B1AD-CF813D5BC92E.jpegI did talk to dad and it’s availability, sounds like one is discontinued but he didn’t say which one. 

DeadlineMP and Sluggo are still in use. We just spread Deadline on 120 acres today which this will be replant #3 for those beans. 
Sluggo also kills earthworms so do not recommend that. 
DeadlineMP is the most effective,just in short supply right now 

17 hours ago, 1256pickett said:

I didn’t get a chance to talk directly to my brother but from the shop floor looks like he has a cocktail. 

9D1AD525-6B37-4DF2-9D30-D1ABB5ADD0A7.jpeg

EC4FB3F9-D268-43BA-970B-DC175CAFA475.jpeg

0F941702-7859-451F-8000-DD1FF8799503.jpeg

50179F9B-2622-4093-B1AD-CF813D5BC92E.jpeg

Thanks. 

I have asked around and have came up Deadline would be the stuff to use if you can get it. Which is damn near impossible around here right now.

Turns out the problem is very wide spread around here. We are fortunate to only have the problem bad in 3 fields and a little bit in 2 others that have held them back . But where they are bad. They are bad.

Its bad enough we cant get any of the above mentioned items right now. So we went with plan B which is the spots that there isn't enough beans left to say so. Took the disc after them and got rid of the corn trash so they don't have the cover to hide in and dry things out with the heat this week. If you can't get deadline you're wasting your time replanting without working the trash up. Anyone that has tried found out the hard way that no tilling into that cover does no good 

So Dad disked up the bad spots in 3 fields while i finished cutting 1st cutting hay. Got our old grain drill out instead of the planter because we thought 7 1/2 rows would canopy quicker than 15 inch rows at this late stage. And our grain drill is as conventional as it can get. John Deere 8300 single disc. We will see what happens. 

Keep you guys informed on what happens. 

All i can say is its bad enough that get bean seed to replant is even becoming a issue.

On 6/14/2024 at 4:17 PM, oleman said:

Slugs are common in Napa Valley Ca. I tried to control them for years, finally gave up on whatever they liked and stopped growing i

If i could get away from not raising soybeans, trust me i would. I hold my nose raising the damn things. But one we need something to rotate out of corn into and 2 what few other options aren't worth anything really. I hate that wheat and oats aren't worth as much like they were before beans came on around here.

If they came up with a viable, and somewhat profitable alternative to soybeans. I would be in the shop and half hour front then cutting up the soybean meters on the planter to take away the temptation from Dad and my brother to plant them again

We are on replant #3 on 120 acre piece of beans. The Deadline seems to be working though. Lots of dead slugs

Well, we will see how this works out. 

Got everything replanted between Saturday and Yesterday and last night/early this morning we got 4 inches of rain. Water standing in the hollows probably going to have crusting now.

Great 🙄🙄 Just Great 

20240617_060932.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well update. 

They survived even in the spots under water. Yeah they are going to be behind the original stand that survived but hopefully they yield something 

20240627_155502.jpg

20240627_155504.jpg

20240627_155507.jpg