6388 fuel system

I helped my neighbor pull his 6388 home from the field after it quit running a few days ago.  He changed fuel filters, bled them and still no go.  It has two tanks.  The front one is half full and the plastic rear one is empty.  When you turn the switch on, an electric fuel pump starts chattering.  Does anyone know how these tanks work together?  Should the rear one run empty when the front has fuel.  He said he had to shut off a valve to change the filters as plenty of fuel was running out at the filters.  The tractor has a little over 4000 hours, so I wouldn’t think the injector pump would have gone bad.  The tractor has always run and started good.  Any advice appreciated and thanks in advance.

3 minutes ago, axial_al said:

I helped my neighbor pull his 6388 home from the field after it quit running a few days ago.  He changed fuel filters, bled them and still no go.  It has two tanks.  The front one is half full and the plastic rear one is empty.  When you turn the switch on, an electric fuel pump starts chattering.  Does anyone know how these tanks work together?  Should the rear one run empty when the front has fuel.  He said he had to shut off a valve to change the filters as plenty of fuel was running out at the filters.  The tractor has a little over 4000 hours, so I wouldn’t think the injector pump would have gone bad.  The tractor has always run and started good.  Any advice appreciated and thanks in advance.

With the low sulfer fuel I wouldn't rule out the pump. 

Here's some info. on the workings of that system. I was never around one that had problems, but I can remember the old IH guy in our shop from years ago talking about that system being among one of many unique things about a 2+2 that could drive a technician nuts. Seems like he told me a story about converting that transfer pump system over to one that just operated by a rocker switch in the cab....seems like some of the parts for that system were pretty expensive years ago, probably NLA anymore. 

Good luck

2 + 2 fuel system #1.png

2 + 2 fuel system #2.png

2 + 2 fuel system #3.png

• Like 1

The float switch in the main tank that ran the fuel transfer pump was a problem for the early models

later models used a relay to take the load of the pump off the float switch

they used a magnet in a float that slid on a brass tube , with reed switches inside

I should still have a couple around here somewhere

On 6/12/2024 at 10:18 PM, HydroTek said:

The float switch in the main tank that ran the fuel transfer pump was a problem for the early models

later models used a relay to take the load of the pump off the float switch

they used a magnet in a float that slid on a brass tube , with reed switches inside

I should still have a couple around here somewhere

Bingo we have a winner, float switch is probably stuck or float  bulb has a hole in it . I installed a rocker switch in cab to fuel pump but if you fill both tanks be sure  you wait a  few acres before  turn on back tank

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE!
My neighbor told me today that the injection pump was the problem.

Thanks for the help.