White mold in soybeans

Last year we had some fields with white mold. Quite a yield hit in those areas.

Studies show an application of Cobra at the third or fourth trifoliate can help suppress white mold damage. 

My question is; how low of a rate can you go with Cobra to get the effect on the soybeans for White mold suppression?

Keep in mind we are not using Cobra for weed control. I believe the use rate for this is usually 8-12 ounces per acre.

4 hours ago, Dirt_Floor_Poor said:

If you have white mold, I think I would just spray it with fungicide if you’re not using cobra for weed control.

I think white mold shows up too late for fungicide and not sure it does anything to it. 

Fungicide applications are usually to late for any white mold suppression. From what I understand, the bean plant is infected at an early stage. By spraying Cobra(or the generic version) this "tricks" the plant into fighting off the infection.

I wish there was a way to do that without having to "burn" the plant 

2 hours ago, Farmerboy72 said:

Fungicide applications are usually to late for any white mold suppression. From what I understand, the bean plant is infected at an early stage. By spraying Cobra(or the generic version) this "tricks" the plant into fighting off the infection.

I wish there was a way to do that without having to "burn" the plant 

We used to spray Phoenix instead of Cobra. It won’t burn the beans. It has the same active ingredient. I haven’t used it for years, but it was more expensive than Cobra back then. 

More farmers here are going to wider rows to combat white mold.  Fewer and fewer plant 7.5 inch spacing such as with a grain drill.  You are stuck for this year but something to think about for next year.  The tougher weeds such as red root, marestail, and water hemp require spraying during the growing season so farmers want lanes in the field where sprayer run down is minimal.  

• Like 1

Very few fungicides that control white mold, or even claim too. Part of the reason Cobra or generic versions are affective is the burning. It opens up the canopy allowing more air flow.

• Like 1

Fungus multiply exponentially, in the wine business it was spray early and spray often, so it never gets ahead of you.  Ten years ago as I was getting out models being tried that took into account temperature and humidity. But you need the temperature and humidity from in the canopy where the grape bunches were.  Then put information in the formula and could extend days between sprays sometimes.

Would think the control it early would appley to soybeans as well. But understand with lower value per acre you cannot afford to spray as often.

• Like 1

6 ounces per acre of Cobra for white mold. They say it causes a systemic reaction in soybeans against white mold infection. I always wondered if maybe it disrupts the fungus in the ground before it shoots up its mushrooms.

White mold is hard to know when it infects the plant, and how to combat it! You usually don’t know you have it, until you see plants start turning brown when the rest of the field is still green.  Damp weather, rather it be fog or rain plays a big part in it as well.  A neighbor here sprays a chemical called Contans on their fields on the post trip, and after they harvest, they say they are having good results with it.  It’s supposed to kill off the spores

Add a fungicide with your post emergence herbicide pass to help with white mold, it gets better ground contact then to help kill mold spores. There is a treatment for white mold infested soil, it acts like a bleach to kill mold spores.  Costs about $75/acre, I can’t come up with the name of the product right now.