filling 186 hydro with hydraulic fluid

Hey there y'all,

I am working on removing the relief valves again and will be changing the oil/filters while at it. I recall last time I did this I think I air locked it when i filled it up and i had to drain some of the oil out again if i remember right.

Can someone remind me of the bleeder bolt again where it is?

Thanks

Be sure you have the orifice in the fittings at the relief valves -- .020

Should still move in one direction -- surely not both valves stuck

You have the caps for the high pressure lines on the side f the transmission (#4 JIC , I think)

7 minutes ago, HydroTek said:

Be sure you have the orifice in the fittings at the relief valves -- .020

Should still move in one direction -- surely not both valves stuck

You have the caps for the high pressure lines on the side f the transmission (#4 JIC , I think)

One valve sticks you lose both directions. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, snoshoe said:

One valve sticks you lose both directions. 

You lose drive in the direction of the open valve only

the charge pressure is affected either high or low , depending on the direction the SR lever is moved -- this is one way to check for a stuck valve -- a busted high pressure line will act much in the same way

8 minutes ago, HydroTek said:

You lose drive in the direction of the open valve only

the charge pressure is affected either high or low , depending on the direction the SR lever is moved -- this is one way to check for a stuck valve -- a busted high pressure line will act much in the same way

This one you have wrong. Either high pressure valve sticks open and that's it. It stops right there and doesn't move. The fractured line unless broken clear off you can usually limp home

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HydroTek said:

This sounds like something we need to discuss over some beers , barbecue , and a hydraulic diagram

That sounds enjoyable. My meds don't allow the beer. If the barbecue is southwestern I'll pass. The diagram would refresh my memory so I could explain. I just know what happens. As they say. Been there done that. I would have you ask the OP as he's been there before but he is still waiting for someone to answer his question. I would but just can't picture that mcv well enough to name a plug.

13 hours ago, HydroTek said:

This sounds like something we need to discuss over some beers , barbecue , and a hydraulic diagram

A broken check valve will effect one direction only.

A stuck open relief valve will stop a Hydro from moving at all.

On 6/7/2024 at 8:22 PM, Donnie said:

Hey there y'all,

I am working on removing the relief valves again and will be changing the oil/filters while at it. I recall last time I did this I think I air locked it when i filled it up and i had to drain some of the oil out again if i remember right.

Can someone remind me of the bleeder bolt again where it is?

Thanks

From the Operators Manual.
There is no bleeder valve, all of the glugging and gurgling at startup is the air escaping the Hydrostatic section of the transmission.

image.png.d3393adf937ab9f39f1b4b74c6dbedbe.png

1 hour ago, Maynard said:

A broken check valve will effect one direction only.

A stuck open relief valve will stop a Hydro from moving at all.

From the Operators Manual.
There is no bleeder valve, all of the glugging and gurgling at startup is the air escaping the Hydrostatic section of the transmission.

image.png.d3393adf937ab9f39f1b4b74c6dbedbe.png

Maynard I got the impression he was asking for a plug to bleed the pumps. By this time he probably has it going.

5 minutes ago, snoshoe said:

Maynard I got the impression he was asking for a plug to bleed the pumps. By this time he probably has it going.

They self bleed just fine, never had a problem with any large frame hydro.

• Like 2

Well me neither.  If it's the glugging at the fill pipe. I always put the dipstick in the hole beside the long neck funnel. That let the air out the tube while the oil went down the funnel. In the shop used a pump.

17 hours ago, snoshoe said:

Well me neither.  If it's the glugging at the fill pipe. I always put the dipstick in the hole beside the long neck funnel. That let the air out the tube while the oil went down the funnel. In the shop used a pump.

At startup the hydros make a bunch of noise as the air exits the hydro section, that air just goes to the rear frame.

4 hours ago, HydroTek said:

OP is wanting to know the location of the plug -- like on a gear drive where one takes out the steering orifice plug

Never had an airlock on a hydro.
Just when filling from empty it takes a couple of cycles of fill the rear frame, start and run, fill the rear frame, start and run until the proper amount of fluid is in there.