Wheat harvest 2024

Lazy WP

It’s in full swing today in northern Oklahoma! I am traveling 120 miles straight west of Blackwell Oklahoma to Buffalo Oklahoma. I would guess there were 40 combines running and only 4 red ones? 
In other years and other areas, the percentage of red machines would have been reversed. Just an interesting observation. 

• Like 1

Ran for Pauls and Ediger harvesting out of Bulher/Inman Ks 2003,2005 2007. Had five Case/IH 2388's. Those were some good years!! Enjoyed it so much I still get the fever for it every spring.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Shell1066 said:

Ran for Pauls and Ediger harvesting out of Bulher/Inman Ks 2003,2005 2007. Had five Case/IH 2388's. Those were some good years!! Enjoyed it so much I still get the fever for it every spring.

Funny how there is such a concentration of cutters in that area.  A decade prior I was there.

Went a different route and there were 14 green, 5 red and 2 yellow machines in 75 miles. No Gleaner Fent or Massey. 

I figured they would be cutting full bore this weekend. Where I saw the machines running wasn’t 30 miles south of the Kansas border. 
We got some serious rain and wind last night. I will bet that they start cutting around us as soon as the ground is dry. 

Back when I was young I had a chance to go on harvest with a custom cutter I knew well.

I always had too much going on to be gone from home that long.

Alva Oklahoma to ??? Montana was his run. Memory is fading.

He ran Gleaners.

The stories that came back each year sure made me consider it.

They worked damn hard and played even harder

• Like 1

Always thought it would be fun to be on a custom wheat crew. Farmer dad and I help once told me to do it before your married. 

I’m glad I get to help with harvest anyways. 2001 was an exception because I was 4 months old in mid-July. But 2002 and on I’ve been out for EVERY harvest. I’ve helped since 2021 after getting out of having animals in 4-H. Was on the tractor and grain cart and since 2022 have been in a 2588. 

Wheat color now is changing fast in the area. 

3 hours ago, IHhogfarmer said:

Wheat color now is changing fast in the area. 

It is in northern Oklahoma too. Went from green to amber and now back to green. I would like to see what some of the wheat looks like in the tank. 

Nephew is in north central OK on a run right now, auger wagon man tending several green weenies.  Should end up in ND when done. 

4 hours ago, Lazy WP said:

It is in northern Oklahoma too. Went from green to amber and now back to green. I would like to see what some of the wheat looks like in the tank. 

I’m sure I’ll get a picture here. I’ll maybe upload some wheat harvest photos here in a month. 

Worked hard is right !! 14 days straight  with two 2388's with two 35 foot McDons  we did over 2 thousand acres .  We were whipped by the end of that!! Way after midnight then up by six to go again. Best way I can describe it. Full bore for days till it rains you out then sheer boredom packed into a camper with two other guys and nothing to do. !!

The northern part of Oklahoma was really dry when they planted wheat and poor stands are the majority. They have had lots of moisture recently and between the crabgrass and pigweeds there’s not much wheat left. Again I am amazed what these new combines can handle. 
Interestingly, around Dodge City, there’s more of the off colored green, yellow and silver machines than green or red. 

Talked to a guy from Inman Ks yesterday. Said the yield is poor there. Didn't have the rains they needed.