Have a 66 500d. Everything is running and operating except the left brake. It is operating in reverse but nothing going forward. Anything in particular to look for. If I go into final drive to pull brake band out to check I’ve seen several comments about being careful with thrust bearing and not to drop it. Once cover is off is it easily spotted? Certainly don’t want to drop it and screw up. I’ve had one guy tell me you can pull the 3 bolts off then just pull the shaft out and everything clutches etc will just stay in place. Any advice please 

My familiarity is with the 500c. What you have is actually a 500.  You nomenclature is confusing. The d just designated diesel. The 500c started in the early 70s and is completely different.  

It could be that the bottom anchor point on the band has let loose.  Go to General Gears website and download the section of the service manual free.  They also sell all the brake parts.

Sorry I cannot be more helpful.

https://www.steeringclutch.com/ih500strcltch.htm