1066 hood bolts and cage nuts

1566Hog

Came across an old topic from 2019 discussing this. Has anyone found a place to get the correct 4 sided cage nuts for the hood bolts?  All I’ve seen as a replacement is the 2 sided nuts. Should be like a 5/16” cage nut. 

34 minutes ago, 1566Hog said:

Came across an old topic from 2019 discussing this. Has anyone found a place to get the correct 4 sided cage nuts for the hood bolts?  All I’ve seen as a replacement is the 2 sided nuts. Should be like a 5/16” cage nut. 

I’ll have to try remember to find the part number, but I found a cage nut that is pretty tough to get in the hole, actually have to use a dremel tool and grind it open a touch more, and still fight getting the cage nut in.  So far they seem to hold up better that the regular cage nuts we get! 

Well, I went to my dealership this morning and asked about the cage nuts and bolts. He says they are available but are at a different store. So he called that store and asked them to see if they were two flange or four flange. The parts guy says they’re four flange and they have five of them in stock.  So I told them to get all five coming to my store.  I will know on Tuesday if they are correct. 
I do see the shoulder bolts and regular flange bolts are available at a few different places on the Internet. 

Bolts are available from Steiner.  I have been using 2 ear cage nuts and modifying them,  if someone has access to 4 ear ones I am listening!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, billonthefarm said:

Bolts are available from Steiner.  I have been using 2 ear cage nuts and modifying them,  if someone has access to 4 ear ones I am listening!

Titan Machinery is supposed to have the 4 ear ones. I am a little doubtful about that, but my parts guy called the Aberdeen, SD store, and they looked at their inventory and said they are 4 ear. I will find out Tuesday when I pick them up. It looks like Pilot Knob only has the 2 ear ones. 

22 hours ago, billonthefarm said:

Same here!!!

A few years ago I got some from dealer. I don’t know where they got them from and they seem a little loose fit but for a working tractor I was happy. 

Well, the cage nuts came in today at my dealership. Figured I’d call first to make sure they are 4 flange. 
“Yep, they came in today.”

“Could you take a look at them please and make sure they are the 4 flange like we talked about when we ordered them?”

”Sure give me a minute.”

2 minutes later…

”Yep, they’ve only got 2 flanges.”

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 1566Hog said:

Well, the cage nuts came in today at my dealership. Figured I’d call first to make sure they are 4 flange. 
“Yep, they came in today.”

“Could you take a look at them please and make sure they are the 4 flange like we talked about when we ordered them?”

”Sure give me a minute.”

2 minutes later…

”Yep, they’ve only got 2 flanges.”

BTDT its all china s^%&*( and in the spec as china S&^%&*( with 4 sides

What exactly is the issue that you are having with the two pronged caged nuts? I have been buying them from Papco  to use on '86 series, etc. The important thing is to get them for the correct thickness of metal. Cheap ones are for really thin stuff, I get the ones to fit the heavier hood braces, and even the 3/8" ones that fit in the heavy cab floor for the plate. 

2 hours ago, Farmall Doctor said:

What exactly is the issue that you are having with the two pronged caged nuts? I have been buying them from Papco  to use on '86 series, etc. The important thing is to get them for the correct thickness of metal. Cheap ones are for really thin stuff, I get the ones to fit the heavier hood braces, and even the 3/8" ones that fit in the heavy cab floor for the plate. 

1 like you say size/correct thickness to fit IH hole

2 they dont lock into said hole

3 they dont float and stay locked in which is there purpose.

4 for equip that is not trailer queen in a temp controlled mansion ,they are china S%^(&* metal

A. so rust up or away ...strike 1

B. used for delicate expensive and tight near impossible access tin work,so china S^%*) nut has galled  to your china S*^() expensive fancy bolt. strike 2

C . Said china S%*^ galled nut has 6 sides (or none /rusted away) vs 4 which firmly fit the correctly formed FULL tabs. The (2) tabs are rusted . The (2) non existent tabs simply pop open ,thus not holding whats remains of the china SY*&^ nut. strike 3

D ruining your IH hole in the expensive NLA tin

E   5 hours and $100s for a 15 minute air filter change....battery check etc.

F. etc

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mmi said:

1 like you say size/correct thickness to fit IH hole

2 they dont lock into said hole

3 they dont float and stay locked in which is there purpose.

4 for equip that is not trailer queen in a temp controlled mansion ,they are china S%^(&* metal

A. so rust up or away ...strike 1

B. used for delicate expensive and tight near impossible access tin work,so china S^%*) nut has galled  to your china S*^() expensive fancy bolt. strike 2

C . Said china S%*^ galled nut has 6 sides (or none /rusted away) vs 4 which firmly fit the correctly formed FULL tabs. The (2) tabs are rusted . The (2) non existent tabs simply pop open ,thus not holding whats remains of the china SY*&^ nut. strike 3

D ruining your IH hole in the expensive NLA tin

E   5 hours and $100s for a 15 minute air filter change....battery check etc.

F. etc

You seem like a very angry man

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Every call someone saying Devon's tractor parts had them cuz a buddy of mine called and they said you need x amount and x amount of nuts and will deliver them in three days and they had it all

12 hours ago, jass1660 said:

You seem like a very angry man

WHy should I blue coat or sugar down,10%  the truth for a pc answer to a proper an earnest question?

I am not a rivet counter ,BUT prefer things to be as the engineer designed them, less and until a better idea,which many times as the owner not MFG is simply around patent issues. To save $.001 after "75 the bean counters ,addressed this with lacking alternatives. So some dont understand the RUB.

This very issue has been around 35 + years I know of. due to bean counters and trweadstone ilk.

There is and has been enough demand for 30+ yrs,but behind the curtain its shut down.  $2.50-15.00 ea for todays < $.005 ea china S^%&* supports the real thing.at $1

Keeping things nice is no longer affordable,NLA tin is astronomical $,  and customers expect a change out of air filter or y,z to not take 5 hours nor cost $500

It’s not 1975 anymore, times change much as everyone complains about millennials and gen z that falls on parents as they are the ones that raised them…we all complain thru the years about costs and the only way to keep them down is by outsourcing and unfortunately that leads to inferior products. We reap what we have sown…