a little update on my kiddo

KWRB

Since I can't just leave everyone hanging, here's an update.

There's a test, called Signatera, that measures circulating tumor DNA in the bloodstream. I'm NOT 100% in how it works, so but as I understand it, they take a baseline sample prior to surgery, then get the DNA from the tumor, and then seek out that specific DNA from the original sample to measure how much was there. Then, they can test it regularly, to see how it trends. Her tests are now returning "none detected".

This is great news, but the company says negatives -though they are certainly a good sign, better than a positive- are not as certain a thing as positives.

It's just, cruise control for the time being, immunotherapy for about a year to make sure it's totally knocked out, and then scans, but I think we can reasonably expect -not just hope- that this is the end of that plague.

I don't want to make this forum about me, or about my family, so I'm going to refrain from any more publicly posted updates, unless I need to muster a prayer army. I know some people are genuinely concerned, and I'll be happy to update anyone individually. Just reach out. I'm reluctant to get too bold, but, things are looking good.

Humble, and sheepishly unworthy, are the only ways I know to describe how I feel about all of you, few of whom I've ever even met, asking for God's help on her behalf. I'm getting emotional just typing this. Thank you so so much. It's pathetic and inadequate, but it's all I've got.

I want to say again, in closing, that this is a traditionally DEADLY cancer, that only afflicts young people, with a historic 50% survival rate, tied exclusively to surgery. There's is naught BUT ONE single doctor, in NYC, who has made this specific cure his life's mission. There are heroes, angels, gifts from God, among us. If want to keep praying, pray for Dr Simon.

She is going down there next week to begin an internship and join the ranks. I'm so proud of her for not running, but turning, drawing her sword, facing up to her would-be killer, and joining the fight. She's going to help save lives, not least of which would be hers, if it ever did recurr.

KWRB

• Like 19
  • Thanks 5

I'm so happy to read this. Thank you for the update. I don't think there is a person here who will begrudge you the chance to let us all know how she is doing. Prayers and best wishes for her, the Dr and your whole family.

• Like 4

Anyone who would get mad about an update on the life of a young person in a thread certainly needs to reflect on their priorities. We need good news in a world full of negative a news.  Please keep us updated however you see fit. God bless you and the family. 

• Like 10

11 hours ago, iowaboy1965 said:

I'm so happy to read this. Thank you for the update. I don't think there is a person here who will begrudge you the chance to let us all know how she is doing. Prayers and best wishes for her, the Dr and your whole family.

X2 well said.  Thanks for the update and am glad to hear that she is doing good.

I say thx for the update and the best thing about prayers are they are free just like everlasting life through Jesus Christ, you can gage your updates however you see fit but if you chose this to be it I pray we don't hear a need again. Congrats to her choice of field, I can't imagine someone with more interest and dedication and she can be that blessing to others and the good doc.

Do what you see fit, but i am certain everyone here would like updates if you were willing to share them. 
I am overjoyed that she is progressing positively! Too many lost to this horrible disease, kids should not be among them. 

• Like 4